• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Let's all remember that the main culprit here is bigotry and how it is normalized in gaming spaces, and how it's a reactionary outburst against minority representation in AAA gaming. Even if Jim didn't exist, I fully expect Druckmann and ND would receive similar amounts of vitriol.

The bigoted fucks Neil is calling out in the OP are either still convinced Abby is trans... or are continuing to spread those fake spoilers because they're much easier for the bigots to weaponize, than the real spoilers related to the game's actual trans character Lev. Probably a mixture of both, honestly.

That should tell you all you need to know in regards to whether Jim not making a video would have made any real difference in the end. And while I do hope and trust that he will call them out for this shit in a future video (as he has done so many times before), he does not deserve the blame for the disgusting shit in the OP.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about the rest of you, but that got me. It's both sentimental subject matter and trying times for these creators. I am personally kind of moved that they would do it again even in the face of this garbage. It's a display of integrity (that shouldn't be necessary, but here we are). Very admirable position from Neil and Laura and the crew. Raise a glass.
It's a line Joel says in the game.

But yeah, I don't think Neil regrets writing the game the way he did.

Oct 27, 2017
While individuals eventually must own the comments they make themselves, people from the most obscure youtubers to editors-in-chief of gaming enthusiast sites continue to simultaneously ignore and contribute to this environment by employing the following practices:

- making shit up about people who make videogames - including what they think, how they feel, and what their motives are - out of nowhere and with no substance to back it up.
- leaning too heavily on absolutism of opinion and treating that as if it is nuanced critique.
- tacitly accepting a crowd that traffics in and craves the performative over the earnest

When people refute the kind of garbage Druckmann has been receiving, they usually have something to say about the words used ("we don't tolerate these views", etc.) Good on the people who have had something to say directly to those posting the slurs.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Holy Shit at the words he chose. KING.

Yeeup same feeling.

I was like

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
The pearl clutchers would accuse Druckmann of sending a mob after them. We even have some of those around here.

Yeah, as someone who has seen this type of behavior in other communities they are so fast to jump onto "how could you retweet this person clearly insulting/being rude to you?" you're going to get them harassed!"

But in the same vein, hiding their names makes people think "these are fake"

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
As a leader a lot of a company culture does fall on him. It's not completely on him of course, but he is partially responsible for this kind of thing and he's definitely the most public facing of the ND leadership so he catches it.
Yeah but why Druckmann specifically? Realistically every lead developer should be holding as much responsibility but I haven't seen any one of them being blamed for it as much as him. Like for as much shit as Kojima gets, I don't remember seeing anybody blame him for the crunch that goes on at KojiPro.

I feel like I'm missing an anonymous quote from a former ND employee or something. Because right now I only see it as just an excuse for people to harrass the man.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Seriously though, honestly, I have no idea why anyone would want to be a game developer. Everyone hates game developers. They put up with way too much

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but why Druckmann specifically? Realistically every lead developer should be holding as much responsibility but I haven't seen any one of them being blamed for it as much as him. Like for as much shit as Kojima gets, I don't remember seeing anybody blame him for the crunch that goes on at KojiPro.

I feel like I'm missing an anonymous quote from a former ND employee or something. Because right now I only see it as just an excuse for people to harrass the man.
He is by far the most public figure at Naughty Dog, if not PlayStation as a whole; the combination of his public awareness, his role in the first TLOU and Uncharted 4, along with the false news report that he and Bruce Straley forced Amy Hennig out and the announcement of his promotion to Vice President basically means he's the head of Naughty Dog, at least that is how it is perceived in public, I bet most people here and elsewhere online wouldn't be able to tell you the name of the actual president of the company without googling him first.
Dude has steadily been getting hate since Uncharted 4, the disgusting 'cuckman' nickname came from letting Nadine kick Nathan's ass in both encounters with her in Uncharted 4, plus people attribute all the good parts in U4 to people other than Neil and all the bad parts solely on him and the hate has just been building from there, finally erupting when the leaks came out.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The bigoted fucks Neil is calling out in the OP are either still convinced Abby is trans... or are continuing to spread those fake spoilers because they're much easier for the bigots to weaponize, than the real spoilers related to the game's actual trans character Lev. Probably a mixture of both, honestly.

That should tell you all you need to know in regards to whether Jim not making a video would have made any real difference in the end. And while I do hope and trust that he will call them out for this shit in a future video (as he has done so many times before), he does not deserve the blame for the disgusting shit in the OP.

He doesn't deserve the blame for the posts in the OP for sure, but lets not pretend like he didn't react like all of the scumbag Youtubers did to the leaks about TLOU2 by demonising Druckman/ND as much as he could in the weeks that followed as soon as the smell of blood was in the water.

He may not have gone full hateful piece of shit like The Quartering or Angry Joe or the rest of the scum in stirring up the assholes, sure... but no way he didn't know exactly what he was doing when he was focused on crap like painting Druckman as some sort of villain over the most mind-numbingly trivial shit (eg. Druckman defending that "Schindler's List" guy) while all this was going on.

I don't necessarily blame Jim for seemingly cashing in on controversy by giving his audience what they want... I simply expected a LOT better from him of all people.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
He doesn't deserve the blame for the posts in the OP for sure, but lets not pretend like he didn't react like all of the scumbag Youtubers did to the leaks about TLOU2 by demonising Druckman/ND as much as he could in the weeks that followed as soon as the smell of blood was in the water.

He may not have gone full hateful piece of shit like The Quartering or Angry Joe or the rest of the scum in stirring up the assholes, sure... but no way he didn't know exactly what he was doing when he was focused on crap like painting Druckman as some sort of villain over the most mind-numbingly trivial shit (eg. Druckman defending that "Schindler's List" guy) while all this was going on.

I don't necessarily blame Jim for seemingly cashing in on controversy by giving his audience what they want... I simply expected a LOT better from him of all people.
This is very disingenuous as to what Jim did. Jim Sterling the character is a bit over the top, but that's the character. However, he went into the video as to why The Troy Baker tweet, Neil going after Jason and The Schindlers list thing are bad and the broader implications of it.

And FWIW: Jim did retweet this tweet:

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory whataboutism
The people attacking Druckmann are pieces of garbage, and he should not have to go through that (or any of actors or whoever else).

...but I also don't get how Druckmann can be so buddy buddy with known harrasser / someone who has directed harassment at people online, i.e. Colin Moriarty?

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
"yeah, but it's his fault people are sending him and Laura Bailey death threats because the script was bad"

The fact people are actually trying to blame Neil for the horrible actions of people makes me want to puke, and I hate everytime era goes "but crunch though" to diminish
this shit.

We've had people doing this on this very forum. Fuck them, those bunch of selfish cowards.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Blurring the names is the right call. If you don't, you're no better than the people who send their fanbases after Neil and the other devs/ VA's.

Doing the right thing isn't always the easiest thing.

Also, showing their names could easily be something these people use again Neil.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say I find it incredibly satisfying on a personal level to see one of the biggest games of the year was directed by a Jewish person and features a Jewish character represented well and prominently

The scene with Dina in the Synagogue got to me
Was one of my favorite scenes actually. Even though I was already a fan of Dina, that sold me.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
tvtropes.org

G.I.F.T. - TV Tropes

You may be looking for: GIFT (Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory), a Forum Speak term. Internet Jerk, the practice used in media. Otherwise, you may be looking for Gift, a platforming video game. If a page on the wiki led you here, please fix it …

Seriously?

Literally all you need to do to convey your disapproval on the game's plot is to say "The game's story is bad." That's it.

You don't need to send death threats, and you sure as hell don't need to send transphobic/homophobic/anti-Semitic slurs to Druckmann or Naughty Dog.

Screw these morons.

Jun 2, 2019
"yeah, but it's his fault people are sending him and Laura Bailey death threats because the script was bad"

The fact people are actually trying to blame Neil for the horrible actions of people makes me want to puke, and I hate everytime era goes "but crunch though" to diminish
this shit.

I doubt anyone here in era tries to diminish antisemitic, transphobic or life threatening messages though.

Crunch is a separate matter entirely, it needs to be discussed and devs, producers and publishers that enforce it need to be hold accountable.

Deleted member 15311

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dissagree and your responses are getting into corperate dystopia territory

I dont agree with jim all the time, but I watched those videos, he isnt doing that. And is most criticizing the idea media is beyond criticism, weird comparisons to films and the like.

As I guy who actually watched those video shit just reads as you dont want him talking about something for no real reason

Yall lost the plot
Totally agreement with you here. This type of vile shit shouldn't be allowed on any place, unfortunately gaming still has a huge way to go and Sony and Drucmann should bring those assholes to court, every single one of them.

To put this on Jim is worse than what they are accusing him of doing. It seems to me there was no valid argument to make against him on the videos he did, so people are taking this awful shit as a weapon against him when they clearly didn't manage to defend the people doing their favourite game. He shouldn't get this kind of harassment, I think no sane people defends this shit, but he and others should be called out on what they say and do, Jim is not to blame if a group of dumbshits decide to attack them.

I will not guess percentages, but i'm pretty sure most people making that argument is pure "defend my favourite game and company". There are already posts insinuating about the game that would be supported by these awful people on the Goty votes.....

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Awful humans like this will drive talent from the industry. Whatever your views on narrative choices in the game, Neil has helped produce some of the highest rated games in history and doesn't deserve to be subjected to this abuse - no-one does.

It makes my blood boil that anyone could think that doing that is acceptable.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So sick of alt-right incel trash like this. Absolutely pathetic excuses of human beings. They should be held accountable for this garbage.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I think Sony should flex their impressive legal muscle and let corporate lawyers off the leash on behalf of ND.
Make an example of a few of these idiots.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Totally agreement with you here. This type of vile shit shouldn't be allowed on any place, unfortunately gaming still has a huge way to go and Sony and Drucmann should bring those assholes to court, every single one of them.

To put this on Jim is worse than what they are accusing him of doing. It seems to me there was no valid argument to make against him on the videos he did, so people are taking this awful shit as a weapon against him when they clearly didn't manage to defend the people doing their favourite game. He shouldn't get this kind of harassment, I think no sane people defends this shit, but he and others should be called out on what they say and do, Jim is not to blame if a group of dumbshits decide to attack them.

I will not guess percentages, but i'm pretty sure most people making that argument is pure "defend my favourite game and company". There are already posts insinuating about the game that would be supported by these awful people on the Goty votes.....

I don't think anyone is claiming Jim content is bad, it's the way he did it was bad

When tlou story was leaked, he made a sensational headline they deserve the leaks which wasn't needed
Even though his content was about something else

He himself decided to mix both the things in the same video which isn't a good outlook

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Straight people can't handle anything LGBT that isn't a "look at the mincing man on the tv isn't he funny" view of it. That plus internet anonymity really brings out the hate and fear from deep inside.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
www.bbc.co.uk

Troll's mum tells him to apologise after victim contacts her

Gamer tells trolls' mums that their children have been sending abusive messages.

I know it's not a guaranteed possibility but I only wish this was the case and need this kind of energy for trolling trash pandas like these.
Whether it's their jobs, family, future employers or potential clients people need to be informed about them. This can't go on with their behind the screen safety.

edit.
Izzard please don't generalise, I can handle these things. Nothing LGBT bothers me one bit, I'm all for them. Human rights and equality et al.

Jun 13, 2020
I don't think anyone is claiming Jim content is bad, it's the way he did it was bad

When tlou story was leaked, he made a sensational headline they deserve the leaks which wasn't needed
Even though his content was about something else

He himself decided to mix both the things in the same video which isn't a good outlook
That's a video I really can't defend. With all the toxicity going around at the time of the leaks you make a video like that? I get he was talking about crunch, but there was no reason to use the leaks like that, other than trying to make a bad situation worse. Not saying he wanted to make people more willing to be toxic, but that's what a video like that ends up doing. And again, there was no reason to include the leaks into the discussion on crunch, other than a crappy attempt at "provocateur" type humor that was very unneeded at that time, because of the amount of hate and toxicity already surrounding the game.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
www.bbc.co.uk

Troll's mum tells him to apologise after victim contacts her

Gamer tells trolls' mums that their children have been sending abusive messages.

I know it's not a guaranteed possibility but I only wish this was the case and need this kind of energy for trolling trash pandas like these.
Whether it's their jobs, family, future employers or potential clients people need to be informed about them. This can't go on with their behind the screen safety.

edit.
Izzard please don't generalise, I can handle these things. Nothing LGBT bothers me one bit, I'm all for them. Human rights and equality et al.

I'm talking from my experience so I'll say what I want, thanks. When someone says white people, straight people, men, etc, they obviously don't mean every last one of them.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Glad to see Neil is holding it together as well as he is, this kind of hate would ruin me. Mad respect for him and everyone involved in the project.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna need to play this game sooner than I had originally planned, because the spoilers are getting way harder to avoid than I anticipated.
Can't imagine how having so much hate directed at you feels and I hope I never do.