• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When you say "condemned", do you mean add a 5 second blurb about it in the middle of his video shitting on Naughty Dog, or a toothless social media post? Let's see him make a video on the toxicity of the gaming community regarding this, then we'll see if he truly cares.
But being critical of a company and some of their practices is not encouraging hate. Jim is not out here encouraging people to attack the devs of Naughty Dog or anyone involved in this game to say this is just a lie.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Nonsense. Crunch culture is something worth talking about and a problem for a lot of people in this industry, and the other was about how poor people have taken any even small criticisms and was mostly aimed at Troy Baker, though Neil looked back in several interactions as well. That's totally different from this and it doesn't matter if assholes wants to use that as 'ammo' or whatever. By this logic, we literally can't criticize any practice at all because eventually it'll be used as 'ammo.' Nothing Sterling said was defending or encouraging harassment, and that says a lot more about the agenda you're trying to push over anything else that you try to roll that stuff into what's happening here.
When crunch only seems to be brought up when it comes to Naughty Dog, it's very transparent. SolidSnakex brought it up and I actually couldn't believe that Sakurai had to work with an iv drip sometimes when developing smash. Do you see even one post regarding that when it's discussed here? But any topic on ND here, it's inevitably brought up.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
They're busy making jokes about DLC in which you can murder Druckmann (at a time where's he's getting death threats on a daily basis) and doubling down on it.

BIBOiYQ.png

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
When crunch only seems to be brought up when it comes to Naughty Dog, it's very transparent. Someone brought it up and I actually couldn't believe that Sakurai had to work with an iv drip when developing smash. Do you see even one post regarding that when it's discussed here? But any topic on ND here, it's inevitably brought up.
I'm sure the cyberpunk thread is full of people talking about crunch.
Oh wait....

Jan 11, 2018
I report transphobic hate from gamers tweeted to me all the time and I'd say they ban at best 20% of them. No idea why, seems random. I can send twitter like, 4 examples of the same person using slurs, deadnaming me, ect and most of the time they say it doesn't meet their criteria for a ban.

it's frustrating. Harassment over gender identity is directly mentioned as a reportable offense in their reporting system too.

Sounds about right. I wish social media companies would do more to stop this kind of shit. I suppose they care more about money though.

I hope Neil and the team are OK. They don't deserve this.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Fuck these losers and fuck Youtubers like Angry Joe, TheQuatering, and Tyrone Magnus who have perpetuated this bullshit

I could not believe it when Tyrone Magnus jumped on this train of thought. I forgot which video it was that made me stop watching his videos. Probably since the last jedi released. Screw those guys. Add another Youtuber called Mr H to that list.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
But being critical of a company and some of their practices is not encouraging hate. Jim is not out here encouraging people to attack the devs of Naughty Dog or anyone involved in this game to say this is just a lie.
I think the issue with Jim Sterling is not about him encouraging or not hate, it's about his silence about all this mess. For someone so quick to make a 15 minutes video about a single tweet, it's just weird. Also his "ND deserved the leaks" video was an embarrassing take and didn't help at all.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When crunch only seems to be brought up when it comes to Naughty Dog, it's very transparent. Someone brought it up and I actually couldn't believe that Sakurai had to work with an iv drip sometimes when developing smash. Do you see even one post regarding that when it's discussed here? But any topic on ND here, it's inevitably brought up.
It's brought up because Kotaku did a huge story about it with actual ND dev saying they had to go through it.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
When crunch only seems to be brought up when it comes to Naughty Dog, it's very transparent. Someone brought it up and I actually couldn't believe that Sakurai had to work with an iv drip when developing smash. Do you see even one post regarding that when it's discussed here? But any topic on ND here, it's inevitably brought up.

Crunch has been brought up about tons of companies all the time. CD Projekt RED, Rockstar, NRS, etc. I'm sure there's many more if we dig up enough. Maybe you should actually focus on the people doing the harassment and not try and drag people who don't contribute to it in this conversation. But ultimately, the agenda is to make Sony and NH above any reproach and you use this real life harassment and try to tie it into silly shit like Troy Baker posting Teddy Roosevelt quotes or Neil Druckmann and Jason Schreir getting into petty Twitter squabbles about dumb tweets, which is just so gross.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
The main concern (Outside of how it affects the ND team) is how the intimidation will spread to people who enjoyed the game and future games intending to tackle similar themes/demographics as TLOU.

Think about how much transphobia and homophobia has been shown over all this, now are any other AAA developers going to be as eager to work on LGBT+ representation in light of this?

This is why games media (Jason Schier, Jim Sterling, et al) have to call this shit out at the forefront, because it can and will affect people they know and care about as much as rotten practices in the industry itself. In fact, it IS part of the industry that has been tolerated for too long.

The gaming community, developers and media effectively tolerated GamerGate and tried to pretend it was all over after a few paltry statements. This is an extension of that and shows it will not go away without pushback.

Enough is enough.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I could not believe it when Tyrone Magnus jumped on this train of thought. I forgot which video it was that made me stop watching his videos. Probably since the last jedi released. Screw those guys. Add another Youtuber called Mr H to that list.
It was really gross he went full on with his shit.

Jun 13, 2020
Is that second tweet a spoiler? Or does it mean metaphorically

I don't really care but others might
No, the spoiler is wrong. Ellie isn't killed by Abby and Abby isn't trans. So this person clearly didn't even play the game, they based their death threats and offensive shit on a spoiler that wasn't even real.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Surely twitter can do something about these utter cunts, this is some of the worst abuse I've seen in a good while. What a medium. I really do hope Neil and the team continue to do what they do because whilst we all have our opinions and differences on the game, the accessibility, inclusiveness and overall quality cannot be denied.

I hope it gets game of the year a thousand times over

Plum

May 31, 2018
What gets me the most here (beyond the obvious disgust at it all) is just how, well, not creative these insults and threats are.

It shows how these people are, in the end, just lashing out; they don't actually give a singular shit about the 'sanctity of the story' or 'crunch' or any of that nonsense, they're just really pissed off for some reason and have decided to throw that frustration at some guy they don't know instead of moving on.

Just disgusting, and sadly it's not really that surprising either. The internet's a cesspool much of the time.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

I think the problem here is that Jason was 100% doing an amazing job reporting on the work culture at Naughty Dog. Unfortunately the hate crowd attacking Neil used that report, the plot leaks and the subsequent disagreement between Jason and Neil to springboard into this full-blown hate campaign. Jason's obviously not to blame for this, it just really sucks that an important story about how to make that industry better is being used as a springboard for hate. Jason will likely come out and condemn all this hate, if he hasn't already.

Jim's case is kind of along those lines, except in his video he went at artists defending their art, which is fine, but by then the hate mobs had started and he just added more fuel to the fire. His video also mostly glossed over the hate that was already being flung and I think people are right to criticize him and doubt that he's going to follow up that video with one about the current situation. Thus, it feels like (as mentioned before, unintentionally) Jim kind of came in to a hot situation, dumped a bunch of fuel on the fire, and then walked away and watched it burn. I'm hoping Jim also comes out with a statement that condemns all of this hate and/or he makes a video on it, because it's an important video to make considering people are using his original video to attack Naughty Dog and the actors in the game in ways I doubt he intended.

So while neither Jim nor Jason started this, their reports on Naughty Dog are being used as part of the bludgeon of abuse right now. It sucks.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
It's really fucking sickening, and these dev teams and voice actors shouldn't be getting any abuse. Gaming fandom is fucking vile and the hate speech that comes with it is the worst. Thank you Neil and everyone on the team that contributed to making such an amazing game. I'm so grateful that as I've gotten older and seven years later, we got to finally experience your beautiful game. And I hope this shit doesn't deter you from making exactly what y'all want, because even with this hateful minority, there are millions of fans of the game and your franchise that love y'all!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue with Jim Sterling is not about him encouraging or not hate, it's about his silence about all this mess. For someone so quick to make a 15 minutes video about a single tweet, it's just weird. Also his "ND deserved the leaks" video was an embarrassing take and didn't help at all.
Yea, that awful video he made honestly made things even worse.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Journalists aren't the one making these death threats, so why we need them to make any kind of statement is beyond me. Do we not know death threats are wrong? Do we not know harassment is wrong? Do we need an article from Kotaku to tell us this? Do people think game journalists are behind these death threats?

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I think the reaction to this game by hateful dicks online is the most absurd thing I ever witnessed in gaming.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Journalists aren't the one making these death threats, so why we need them to make any kind of statement is beyond me. Do we not know death threats are wrong? Do we not know harassment is wrong? Do we need an article from Kotaku to tell us this? Do people think game journalists are behind these death threats?

They had zero issues doing it with Pokémon.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I think the problem here is that Jason was 100% doing an amazing job reporting on the work culture at Naughty Dog. Unfortunately the hate crowd attacking Neil used that report, the plot leaks and the subsequent disagreement between Jason and Neil to springboard into this full-blown hate campaign. Jason's obviously not to blame for this, it just really sucks that an important story about how to make that industry better is being used as a springboard for hate. Jason will likely come out and condemn all this hate, if he hasn't already.

Jim's case is kind of along those lines, except in his video he went at artists defending their art, which is fine, but by then the hate mobs had started and he just added more fuel to the fire. His video also mostly glossed over the hate that was already being flung and I think people are right to criticize him and doubt that he's going to follow up that video with one about the current situation. Thus, it feels like (as mentioned before, unintentionally) Jim kind of came in to a hot situation, dumped a bunch of fuel on the fire, and then walked away and watched it burn. I'm hoping Jim also comes out with a statement that condemns all of this hate and/or he makes a video on it, because it's an important video to make considering people are using his original video to attack Naughty Dog and the actors in the game.

So while neither Jim nor Jason started this, their reports on Naughty Dog are being used as part of the bludgeon of abuse right now. It sucks.

This campaign was in full swing long before Jason and Neil had their Twitter spat. It started as early as Ellie and Dina kissing in one of the older trailers, and then blew up when the leaks and spoilers. I don't think it's fair to say that Jason's reporting was used to springboard into any campaign since it was already well underway, even if it was used by some people.

Oct 25, 2017
Nonsense. Crunch culture is something worth talking about and a problem for a lot of people in this industry, and the other was about how poor people have taken any even small criticisms and was mostly aimed at Troy Baker, though Neil looked back in several interactions as well. That's totally different from this and it doesn't matter if assholes wants to use that as 'ammo' or whatever. By this logic, we literally can't criticize any practice at all because eventually it'll be used as 'ammo.' Nothing Sterling said was defending or encouraging harassment, and that says a lot more about the agenda you're trying to push over anything else that you try to roll that stuff into what's happening here.

Jim played a part in this by making video after video after video about Neil Druckmann, TLOU2, etc. He constantly uses the framing that these are "bad people". That Neil Druckmann is "a bad person"

Troy cleared up his stance on Alannah Pierce's podcast that his view on telling people games are too long is "let developers make long games if they want", but Jim in his "I need content" mindset decided lets just make a video where I portray Troy Baker as an idiot.

Jim relies on villainizing people in order to make his videos. He relies on anger and ridicule of others to make his videos. If you want to keep pretending his hands are clean because "he only criticized legitimate things" and then trying to make worthless blanket statements of "are you saying people aren't allowed to criticize" shows your agenda.

Reporting on crunch isn't a problem, but Jim constantly frames organizations, individuals, as targets for harassment. He is enabling it.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
This is what happens when YouTube and Twitch keep promoting alt-right conspiracy nuts masked as game streamers to impressionable man-children and literal children.

Fuck Silicon Valley.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Crunch has been brought up about tons of companies all the time. CD Projekt RED, Rockstar, NRS, etc. I'm sure there's many more if we dig up enough. Maybe you should actually focus on the people doing the harassment and not try and drag people who don't contribute to it in this conversation. But ultimately, the agenda is to make Sony and NH above any reproach and you use this real life harassment and try to tie it into silly shit like Troy Baker posting Teddy Roosevelt quotes or Neil Druckmann and Jason Schreir getting into petty Twitter squabbles about dumb tweets, which is just so gross.
The "silly shit" like that twitter beef between Druckmann and Schreir is what Jim made a video about completely misrepresenting what started it and what the reviewer was saying. If Jim wants to ignore the toxicity/negativity his videos are doing their part in making, that's on him. He can't ignore the toxicity of the gaming community that he's actively contributing to forever.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The person I was responding to was saying he encouraged the hate they are getting. And Jim can speak about whatever he wants if he wants to talk about how rotten the industry is or how fucked up the discourse is around a game he can. But he's not responsible for the hate any dev gets because he makes a video being critical of them, or doesn't make a video about the hate they get. Until he's tell people to send homophobic, transphobic or racist threats to these devs I'm not going to change my tune.

Oct 24, 2019
these are the same pieces of shit who happily go vote for Trump, McConnell, etc.

How can their lives be so fucking pathetic?