• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neil and Jim Ryan really some "bitches eating crackers" to a lot of era, huh?

Some people just can't relate to talent.

giphy.gif

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
As I was avoiding any information about the game until I finished it, I didn't know this until the credits rolled. She's amazingly talented.
She really is. I'm not sure exactly what the split is of what she wrote and what Neil did, but it was all great either way. She is going to get even better too with this just being the start.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this signals that he'll step down from creative directing and take more of a behind the scenes role like Evan Wells. Can't imagine trying to balance being both a studio and creative director at the same time.
From Software hasn't released a single non-Miyazaki directed game since Miyazaki became president. It's very much possible, was even one of the conditions for him to accept the job in the first place. It definitely ain't easy, but I have to imagine Druckmann would still want to be involved with the creative aspects as well, given that his biggest passion seems to be writing.

Based on all the criticism he got for apparently being the cause of all the crunch, you'd think he was already the president. Maybe this could make things better?
While it's definitely ridiculous to blame him personally for the crunch, I also think expecting things to get better with him is also unrealistic. Don't forget his "How do you avoid crunch? Don't try to make Game of the Year" quote in Jason Schreier's book.

Someone who has been there for so long and climbing the ranks is at the very least ok with their culture. He's not the cause, but also unlikely to be someone who sees the culture as an issue in the first place.

I don't think they're remotely comparable and I honestly don't think a Neil Druckmann fan should want them to be, either. Bizarre comparison.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
Congratulations to Neil. Best game director out there nowadays. He made three games ... two were GotY and the third is on the way too. Who else on the industry has such a track record?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they're remotely comparable and I honestly don't think a Neil Druckmann fan should want them to be, either. Bizarre comparison.
Who said I directly compared them? I just said bitches eating crackers because for both, they get hate here just from them being brought up for a thread at all.
Hailey was also a writer on West World I believe. Great show.
Oh yea. I should look into it some time.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
Step by step.

Next - 'We're rebranding to ND Studios - to better match the maturity of the games we make'.

Then - 'Yes, here at Neil Druckmann Studios we're hard at work on a new IP'.

5PXGrCjHm0Hyw9fan91zvnAR7Vpcv9KK0sIxS5B9XDcnUQ4gff2UG3oyi5IMIum-_5iHOW2sokkHuCxUw8MmHOi5V9ydHFwIuNC6jKNLmyX2oXqp4qzrrWNDyUKX_jNQ88cVlDZPGTrdcJ1uBg

Kojima gave him the blueprint. Look at him - he knew.
Oh man that pic. Back when Bruce was still at ND.

OT: it really was just a matter of time before Neil got to the top at ND.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Next step Sony's presidence and them global domination.
Congratulations Neil, you deserves.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder if this is a step towards Evan Wells stepping down in the near future. Guys been president of that studio for 15 years now and transformed it from a character-platformer developer to maybe the premiere developer in the industry.

Seems like it could be a case of wanting to ensure a solid management team is in place before he moves onto other things.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this is a step towards Evan Wells stepping down in the near future. Guys been president of that studio for 15 years now and transformed it from a character-platformer developer to maybe the premiere developer in the industry.

Seems like it could be a case of wanting to ensure a solid management team is in place before he moves onto other things.

Yeah it sure looks that way. Evan Wells did some great stuff at the studio and leaving with Neil as president would be the best outcome.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Always loved Naughty Dog's games, so it's really well-earned and deserved for Neil and co. His name should also be up there in the greats for sure, now. There's definitely no doubt about that with what him and his team have continually put out over the past 13 years or so, imo.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I look forward to the youtube video thumbnails from the world class content creators that have shown displeasure with The Last of Us 2

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Well deserved for everyone involved
I see people are already bawling their eyes out and I couldn't be happier.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to everyone here.

Druckmann's come a long way from Dikki Painguin to writing and producing for HBO.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
But YouTuber true gamer guy said TLoU 2 flopped, why promote!!!!!!! 😡

Congrats to him, I take it he'll probably take a step back from a director role now though, be interesting seeing who takes his role if so.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It's almost like people dont like crunch, bating and switch your gay lead for a cis one that gets the more unique bosses and set pieces, and killing every black in your series including a huge unnamed black man that you mutilate with a sickle.

I don't understand the significance of this promotion other than opening the prospects of Druckmann becoming the sole head of ND when Evan Wells leaves or eventually climbing the ranks of SIE.
druckmann's new position could mean he takes a step back in writing &/or directin, he'll be more of a consultant & approve or disapprove. I personally think this could be good as I feel like this could be an answer to Neil's weird pacing problems as he could focus more on just coming up with rough ideas and leaning on talented writers to fill out the blanks so to speak. Personally, I think if tlou hbo is a hit, than mazin would be a perfect partner to gross and how he & druckmann seem to have hit it off.

TiG

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to all!

I wonder if this means Neil is going to step back from creative director?

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
93 MC and tons of awards say that he did infact make a great game.
giphy.webp

Using Metacritic as an argument on game quality kinda loses a lot of its power when you consider the fact that GTA 4 has a 98, Bioshock Infinite has a 93/94 and the king of bad pacing Uncharted 4 has a 93. Clearly being a big, hyped AAA release plays to it too because none of those games deserve more than a 7/10 at best.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Using Metacritic as an argument on game quality kinda loses a lot of its power when you consider the fact that GTA 4 has a 98, Bioshock Infinite has a 93/94 and the king of bad pacing Uncharted 4 has a 93. Clearly being a big, hyped AAA release plays to it too because none of those games deserve more than a 7/10 at best.
Or those are just all good games too? If over 100 people that critique games for a job say it's great, it's most likely great.

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
Or those are just all good games too? If over 100 people that critique games for a job say it's great, it's most likely great.

You'd be hard pressed to find that many people still claiming Bioshock Infinite is some 9/10 or 10/10 masterpiece as the reviews make it seems. Obviously reviewers are not immune to hype either and loads of games dont deserve the praise they get in retrospect.