• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Whose arguments do you agree with?

• Neil deGrasse Tyson - “But plants are living things too!”

Votes: 396 44.4%
  • Vegan -“Plants are not sentient beings, therefore we can eat them.

Votes: 496 55.6%

• Total voters

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
any flippant hot take about veganism is one that any vegetarian or vegan has heard a thousand times

yep, the most compelling arguments "against veganism" tend to actually be arguments in favor of being very selective about what one eats and where they get their food rather than about veganism itself and generally don't end up in a "eating meat is good" position so much as a "being vegan in and of itself is not enough to be moral."

the problem with eggs is the slaughter of all male chicks and the cages used to house the egg laying chickens. it's quite brutal unfortunately.
Im not pro meat or anything but what if vegan plantations kill or somehow harm the animals that live/lived there?

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'd say that's a problem. Wonder what advancements the industry could make to lessen suffering there.

And I would argue they are two separate ethically issues. Eating a potato is ethical, but eating potatoes that were grown on land that was cleared of a local tribe (and resulted in the death of them) is not ethnical (as an extreme example). Eating an egg is not unethical (imo, of course) on its own. But, if that egg is produced in a factory farm where the hens are treated poorly, male chicks are killed instantly, etc, then of course it is unethical. It could even be argued that purchasing an ethically-created egg is unethical if eggs are considered a fungible commodity and demand for one increases demand for all sources...but that's getting a little deep into the issue.

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Plants are sentient, but that's really not the point. The idea is that plants don't suffer, and that's why they are ok to consume as a vegan. I had this discussion with a meat eater and he was insufferable, comparing washing hands (killing bacteria) to slaughtering pigs, and if you are OK with one, the other should be ok too, and then also citing Neil de grasse tyson and his tree of life. Just edgelord bullcrap in my opinion.

I say this as a meat eater btw.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
These debates are inherently pointless. The value you ascribe to sentience is subjective, and even if you both agree that sentience is the definitive criteria for "can I eat this" it's subjective also what level of sentience makes something inedible.

Anyone who takes a position they're going to adopt a stricter diet than "I will eat anything I want to eat" is inherently going to have a harder time justifying those rules to others simply because it's harder to take a position than it is to take no position. Vegans adopt a particularly strict diet and are therefore going to have a particularly difficult time justifying it to others. Of course, this is fine, as under ordinary circumstances people really ought not to be asking you to justify your diet in the first place, and the only person you really have to convince is yourself.

Solid post and along the lines of what I was thinking.

Dietary restrictions of these kinds are ethically and culturally subjective but often spoken of in absolutes which leads to arguments and discord. The only near universal taboo is cannibalism but even that isn't absolute. Basically everything else is on the menu somewhere.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
User Warned: Hostility
This is the most pedantic shit I've seen in my entire life lmao. Just admit that you want to kill animals for pleasure and be done with it, pussy.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
what if vegan plantations kill or somehow harm the animals that live there?

this is basically the same flippant argument, to most vegans the point is reducing the impact of your diet on the planet and on animals, and anything bad that happens in vegetable agriculture likely happens in animal agriculture or worse; picking vegetables is a rough job but slaughtering animals is much worse/much more dangerous.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
yeah it's confusing eggs should be vegan but then the argument is a animal is exploited for the egg so apparently for something to be vegan the argument is whatever fits the agenda.

Ethical vegans don't support the dairy industry in general because especially in the U.S. the majority of that is factory farms in which the cows and chickens live pretty horrible lives. And there's quite a few vegans who just think any exploitation of animals is wrong and we should not be taking things from them (hence why some vegans consider honey not to be vegan).

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Sentience is a, honestly, an irrelevant distinction. Whether or not something meets your criteria for cognitive thought doesn't change whether it's alive or not. We know plants can feel, and they have memories too. So if you're against eating anything that lives or might live or comes from something that lives, you should include plants in that.
This describes literally no one though, cause they'd be dead. We're not talking about breatharians here.

Yeah, I'd say that's a problem. Wonder what advancements the industry could make to lessen suffering there.
The industry isn't gonna make advancements to lessen suffering unless they're forced to. It's not like they don't know how to treat animals decently, they just don't want to because it costs more money.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plants aren't sentient.
Bullshit
tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I eat meat. I will continue to eat meat, I think. But I try and pay attention to where the meat is coming from. 🤷‍♂️

That said, I side with vegans. It's about reducing harm. Anyone trying to equate animals and plants is trying to score points and justify their belief system; they're not interested in truth

People can eat as they wish, but don't tell me you don't eat animals because they're living creatures and then proceed to squash bugs and eat plants
I'm not sure that either of these really qualifies:

I know vegans who actively avoid squashing bugs
Plants are generally agreed to not be alive, or feeling, or sentient, in the same sense that animals are. That's the discussion happening in this thread

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My dogs toys squeak when I stand on them, should I worry about their suffering?
What's the argument here? Saying it's bullshit is one thing, which I guess I get. But are you saying the gravity of the scream is contingent on brain size or something?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Is sentience really the deciding factor in veganism? For example chicken eggs you buy in the grocery are not nor will they ever be sentient.

Just asking as a layman.
I've never heard of sentience used as an argument in this way before either. I always thought minimizing suffering and environmental impact were the two main reasons to be vegan or vegetarian.

As for the egg example, I'm think vegans avoid things like eggs and dairy products because the cows and chickens that are raised to produce those things usually aren't living in good conditions. But I'm also a layman so what do I know.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Finished watching the video; I don't think either party really has that great an argument.

Most good arguments around vegetarianism/veganism revolve around environmental impact and quality of animal life.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Think it has more to do about ethics of production than sentience (as a vegetarian and part time vegan).

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with the vegan here, but I'd rather get into the more grey areas. Why do most vegans refuse to eat oysters, for example?

OP
OP
nujabeans

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
Neil deGrasse Tyson: "I value all life equally and I'm thankful for them. So when I'm eating a lettuce or a pig, it's okay because I'm thankful for their sacrifice."

Is it okay for cannibals to eat other humans for the taste and their sensory pleasure if they're thankful to the human that had to die for it?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand how anyone can argue or deny that veganism is morally superior to eating meat. Eating meat is 100% inhumane and cruel. It just feels like "plants feel too!" is some weak "gotchya" argument to justify what we do with animals.

I eat meat. I consider it to my our greatest moral issue for our civilizations, that one day will be greatly reduced and eventually flat out wiped out (never happening, but it is the ideal vision of a moral society).

AnythingElse

Oct 25, 2017
Plants do not have a brain and as such cannot translate pain into a feeling. Therefore, any other argument doesn't even matter because they won't suffer as an animal will.

Maybe not, but they feel pain.
www.smithsonianmag.com

Plants May Let Out Ultrasonic Squeals When Stressed

Human ears can’t hear them, but other plants or animals might

Also that lovely fresh grass smell you smell on a newly cut lawn? Is actually the grass screaming out in agony and sending out an SOS for help.
They are aware of what is happening, but they are incapable of actually feeling any anguish.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Plants aren't sentient.

Maybe not, but they feel pain.
www.smithsonianmag.com

Plants May Let Out Ultrasonic Squeals When Stressed

Human ears can’t hear them, but other plants or animals might

If a drought-parched plant lets out a scream, but it's at a frequency too high to hear, does it count as a cry of distress? According to a study posted on the preprint server bioRxiv last week, the answer could very well be yes. (And we're not talking about folklorish mandrakes.)

For the first time, researchers appear to have evidence that, like animals, plants can audibly vocalize their agony when deprived of water or forced to endure bodily harm. The study, which has yet to be published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal, adds another dimension to scientists' growing understanding of how plants detect and interact with their surroundings—despite lacking many of the sensory organs their faunal counterparts deploy.

Also that lovely fresh grass smell you smell on a newly cut lawn? Is actually the grass screaming out in agony and sending out an SOS for help.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Big lol @ this guy fact checking "well actually people don't care about how huge an animal's brain is" when they were talking about dolphins big brains. Of course they were referencing their intelligence and not the literal size of their cranium.
Yeah, that pretty much pushed me to the close button.

Also, I may not be a plant scientist, but I do remember that they "feel and can react to their surroundings".

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand how anyone can argue or deny that veganism is morally superior to eating meat. Eating meat is 100% inhumane and cruel. It just feels like "plants feel too!" is some weak "gotchya" argument to justify what we do with animals.

I eat meat. I consider it to my our greatest moral issue for our civilizations, that one day will be greatly reduced and eventually flat out wiped out (never happening, but it is the ideal vision of a moral society).

Or we as a species devour the whole universe

OP
OP
nujabeans

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
For "but plants feel pain too! So it's okay to kill animals for our food" people — if you really cared about what plants feel, you do know that more plants are consumed or "suffers" through the animal agriculture industry than by eating plants directly right?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For "but plants feel pain too! So it's okay to kill animals for our food" people — if you really cared about what plants feel, you do know that more plants are consumed or "suffers" through the animal agriculture industry than by eating plants directly right?

My dietary choices are based on what will annoy and outrage those around me the most.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
What's the argument here? Saying it's bullshit is one thing, which I guess I get. But are you saying the gravity of the scream is contingent on brain size or something?
Because it's not about the screams. it's abut if there is any underlying conciseness that is capable of suffering. Structurally plants are quite a bit more simple than animals, there doesn't seem to be any pat of them that could give arise to conciseness like we observe in animals. Even if they could suffer eating them directly would still result in less suffering than if we fed them to animals first, it's more efficient calorie wise.

Finished watching the video; I don't think either party really has that great an argument.

Most good arguments around vegetarianism/veganism revolve around environmental impact and quality of animal life.
The very basic argument for veganism is harm reduction with respect to animals. If you don't need to harm animals to survive then don't.
And if it comes down to someone preferring human pleasure over an animals suffering, where do you draw the line with that? Fur? Dog fights? Beasality?

thomas_cale

May 22, 2020
yeah it's confusing eggs should be vegan but then the argument is a animal is exploited for the egg so apparently for something to be vegan the argument is whatever fits the agenda.
What? Maybe you are confusing vegans with vegetarians?
But if you´re sure of the argument show me something vegans eat/drink that comes from animals

Nintendad

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 27, 2021
Living things must die for other living things to live. Just don't be cruel about it.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
The word "scream" is applying a connotation that the plants are experiencing some level of suffering. Doing a quick read of the actual study, plants will emit sound under a bunch of different conditions, from cutting to lack of water. The source of the sounds seems from cavitation, when air fills up plants xylem structures and causes them to "pop". This is not a new phenomena, and certainly does not indicate any level of consciousness. The study was merely trying to see if there is any value in measuring the sounds that plants emit at a precise level, and use those sounds as any sort of indicator of the plants condition.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately you get into the weeds on this kind of argument, when you are debating whether plants feel pain or not you kind of have lost the forest for the trees.

I eat meat, I know its not "morally ethical" but I do a lot of unethical things, I buy technology I use services I use the internet I wear Nike's I take vacations I watch movies and a LOT of people in far away countries and even in my area suffer as a result of the things I purchase or do. I don't go out of my way to research it, I don't "excuse" myself, but I have to rationalize it away as I can't worry about every single living thing on the planet all the time because I would just have to huddle in a ball not moving and going insane.

You try to minimize suffering when you can, one thing I absolutely won't do is waste food, and I try to eat less meat every year. I won't eat baby meat (veal, etc) and try to only buy grass fed, organic, non caged animal products but I just follow the labels and don't go all hyper-research mode about it. Hopefully the next generation does a little bitter, on and on, and yeah ultimately it would be great to see a society where no animals or plants are harmed. There's no reason we won't reach that stage at some point, things like Impossible Meat and future vat grown meat show the way.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Is sentience really the deciding factor in veganism? For example chicken eggs you buy in the grocery are not nor will they ever be sentient.

Just asking as a layman.
It's to do with treatment as well. Eggs aren't acquired in a very ethical manner.

I do know a vegan who keeps a few chickens as a pet and will eat the eggs because they're being given without cruelty.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The word "scream" is applying a connotation that the plants are experiencing some level of suffering. Doing a quick read of the actual study, plants will emit sound under a bunch of different conditions, from cutting to lack of water.

I'd read that but not the actual study. But a lack of water does sound like it could be a condition of suffering.

The source of the sounds seems from cavitation, when air fills up plants xylem structures and causes them to "pop". This is not a new phenomena, and certainly does not indicate any level of consciousness.

But this part is helpful to the conversation. Thank you. I should have read the study.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard the arguments both ways, and always end up with: it's a personal decision where you draw the line and anyone telling you you're wrong is an asshole

OP
OP
nujabeans

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017

The vegan "agenda" is to cause the least amount of animal suffering for our lifestyle (diet, clothes, etc). By eating eggs, you contribute to the chicken industry that kills billions of male chicks every year and indirectly.

Vegetarians are something else, they don't eat meat but they may consume eggs, dairy, and other products that may use animals in their production.