• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
67555580_2159506907509605_5105012395906957312_n.jpg

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a fucking prick. Not only that, these stats are all useless in a vacuum...how are they trending? What are they correlated too? Etc.

Stupid ass fuck tweet and the apology is even worse. Neil, you are not smarter than everyone else, and these tweets show that you lack any sort of perspective.

Rationale

Alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
This guy constantly tries to make it seem like he's on a higher level of thinking to everyone else so this is unsurprising. This is what internet idol worship produces as well.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Or just the dangers of appealing to authority.

Like, dude used to get at Dawkins for being a cynical pedant himself, and here he is now only known for being a sex pest who makes an ass of himself in public.

I feel like the moment we lost Tyson was when he started tweeting out stuff about how much better off we'd be if the scientists were the ones ruling the world. At which point like every philosopher I know went on a tirade.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Yeah, I get it, but how does an 8-page thread full of "what an idiot" -type of comments add anything of value? I just don't understand the mob mentality of some posters. Heck, I find them just as appalling as Neil's ill-timed tweet. Have some class and at least say why you are annoyed or something.
I also find NDT to be an asshole at times and I recognize that. Even though I still listen to his podcast. What infuriates me more though is how a lot of era users will fill the first few pages with things like, "fuck off", "get fucked", "fuck you", and the many variations. It's not only on this thread but on many other threads as well. I just happen to reply to it here because you mentioned it. I find these people to be childish, especially repeating offenders.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, I get it, but how does an 8-page thread full of "what an idiot" -type of comments add anything of value? I just don't understand the mob mentality of some posters. Heck, I find them just as appalling as Neil's ill-timed tweet. Have some class and at least say why you are annoyed or something.

As much as I think the tweet was dickish I also agree with your post.

NDT just has a history of doing this though so I'm not surprised people are getting tired of it.

The tweet is just framed in such a way that gives right wing nut jobs ammunition to their, "see, people die all the time, even if we removed guns we wouldn't be saving that many people."

I think Neil is smart enough to know that, contrary to what people are saying about him here. Also, trying to guage how much someone cares on the internet is a fruitless effort.

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get what he's getting at here.

But it misses the point that shit like medical mistake, flu, suicide, car accidents are all things that are hard to prevent, and happen in almost every country. Some more so than the US.

Mass Shootings is a SOLELY American epidemic. Yes, we should try to fix these other preventable deaths but c'mon son how about we fix the shit every other damn country figured out.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting how often it only takes one thing to cause someone to fall apart like a house of cards.

Dude should be trying to rebuild his reputation, instead he's chosen to make a major heel turn.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
I get what he's getting at here.

But it misses the point that shit like medical mistake, flu, suicide, car accidents are all things that are hard to prevent, and happen in almost every country. Some more so than the US.

Mass Shootings is a SOLELY American epidemic. Yes, we should try to fix these other preventable deaths but c'mon son how about we fix the shit every other damn country figured out.

I also feel like he is missing the point is that these shootings are about fear. No one is afraid of living their lives because of the flu, suicide, or car accidents because we as individuals have levels of control over each one. We can see a doctor, seek help, swerve. But this type of stuff has people afraid to go to a city or send a loved one to the mall. Sure it only killed and wounded a few dozen people. But it's sitting in the minds of millions in a way that is changing their everyday life quickly and suddenly more than any of those other things.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The thing that makes the tweet repugnant isn't just the tone deaf insensitivity, but that the person who wrote it was fuckin NDT, a brilliant science communicator, who should've known better. I think the hostile reactions are a bit much though. Everyone makes mistakes and says something cringy at some point. This happens to all of us because we're human. Think of everything you've spoken or written and how often any of it would get you in trouble if tweeted. Even though his apology could have been a bit more sensitive, i think it's reasonable that he didn't INTEND to tweet something as hurtful. Ever type something and didn't realize how bad it sounded until seconds after pressing send? According to him, this was one of those tweets. But if your entire career is based on being smart at communication more is expected of you, hence the pushback.

Last edited:

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
I really like what he has done for astronomy, but he fucked up big-time with that stupid ass tweet.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"I apologize for not knowing in advance what effect my tweet could have on you" is some real passive aggressive bullshit.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
"I apologize for not knowing in advance what effect my tweet could have on you" is some real passive aggressive bullshit.

Going to hazard a guess what happened in that one harassment account is he got a little too affectionate with the lady in question and when she was understandably like "what the hell are you doing" or similar he was like "aw shucks it's just a Native American greeting". (Not even, like how he described, "Hey wanna see this cool handshake I learned one time" first)

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
I think he's a textbook case of overexposure that nobody wants to hear his opinion on if it's not space shit.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The train you're on is careening towards a cliff, having run off the rails. Your fellow passengers are screaming in an orchestra of terror, making it hard for you to focus on the love of your life, saying goodbye in your own way.

Neil deGrasse Tyson taps you on the shoulder: "You know, more people die of......"

Oct 25, 2017
I also feel like he is missing the point is that these shootings are about fear. No one is afraid of living their lives because of the flu, suicide, or car accidents because we as individuals have levels of control over each one. We can see a doctor, seek help, swerve. But this type of stuff has people afraid to go to a city or send a loved one to the mall. Sure it only killed and wounded a few dozen people. But it's sitting in the minds of millions in a way that is changing their everyday life quickly and suddenly more than any of those other things.
I think that's another point to how he's right in that we can't actually control those other things much either (we pretend like we can deal with a car accident but statistically we're terrible at it.)

I don't think screams of WHATABOUTISM really do much to dispel his point. We can and should be doing something about guns in America—it is our "peculiar institution" of the modern era that every other developing country has essentially "solved" in comparison to us—but it's also useful to frame the context. Like the visiting the US thread, the hysteria around guns is kind of bonkers, and that's saying something to considering how bonkers the gun problem actually is.

Frankly considering I imagine most people on here don't see anything wrong with someone pointing out that Muslim terrorism is a ridiculous boogeyman for right-wing pundits, it's sauce for the goose.

Tyson is wrapping his point in his usual smug arrogance, but that's nothing new.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
He must've just been starving for attention, because there's no way the looking down from on high tone of the tweet would have escaped him. An alien wouldn't say some shit like that.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This is some 5th grade tier logic and no surprise people are treating it as gospel because he's a prominent STEM voice as if that means jack shit here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Just saw someone try to unironically use this moronic argument as evidence. Like, there are 101 reasons why his tweet is DUMB and of course the 'moderates' and righties ate it up while gleefully disregarding everything he says in a hard science field where he actually has SOME knowledge in.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
They may not add value to you, it's entirely subjective.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
That's a really shitty tweet and the apology only worsens my view of him. He bringing up some other tragic things happening every day that have NOTHING to do with this very current, consistent, and American issue.

Nothing of value was brought to the conversation by you, Pluto man.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
there's no way the looking down from on high tone of the tweet would have escaped him

It reads like someone trying to comfort someone on the low probability of dying in a mass shooting, but it's just such an odd tweet to post literally on the day of one. It's just not the question that's being asked at this moment.

Stupid tweet... but I'm also not sure if it's worth the rancor and vitriol it's generating.

Oct 28, 2017
Neil sounds like a sophomore computer science student who has finally learned about Big-O algorithm analysis and tries to extend that to real life issues.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It reads like someone trying to comfort someone on the low probability of dying in a mass shooting, but it's just such an odd tweet to post literally on the day of one. It's just not the question that's being asked at this moment.

Stupid tweet... but I'm also not sure if it's worth the rancor and vitriol it's generating.

I don't think it does. It doesn't have the tone of 'Let me use this moment to remind you of other threats to your wellbeing. Stay safe', it's a detached comment on the normal, human behaviour of people reacting emotionally to tragic events.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I think he was hinting at the availability cognitive bias, in the most poorly timed and cack handed way imaginable:

The flaw in his argument is failing to account for the differences in how different tragedies affect people emotionally. A quiet death in bed from cancer in the latter years of a person's life isn't the same as being shot to death at the supermarket, in terms of emotional toll for the victim's families, or for people reading the news secondhand. Humans are not robots. We don't operate solely on probabilities and logic. We shouldn't be expected to.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Neil lacked any sense of empathy in his original tweet. This was not the time to post statistical information which he has obtained about what kills people. Gun violence has been a perennial threat to the people of the US. Whatever neil has posted about what kills people doesn't equate to gun violence. People's intention to kill others with a firearm isn't the same thing as flu, disease, accidents!

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it does. It doesn't have the tone of 'Let me use this moment to remind you of other threats to your wellbeing. Stay safe', it's a detached comment on the normal, human behaviour of people reacting emotionally to tragic events.
Yeah I agree - I more meant that that's the only reason I can see for the tweet existing, but given the timing it's clearly not that.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I couldn't believe seeing that posted. As a man who prides himself on knowledge, his ability to read a room is fucking trash.

Oct 25, 2017
The only benefit from that idiotic tweet is demonstrating the need and importance of more education in the arts and humanities for STEM students.

STEM super nerds and dorks are the god damn worst, and the people on the internet parroting the Le Sciences as the end all be all are even worse. They're people devoid of any empathy and try to view everything through the lens of science and numbers.