• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
If the context of this is that you shouldn't become recluse and live your life in paranoia, then sure. Otherwise this is reaaaally a fucking stupid thing to say, considering most of the mentioned bulletpoints are things that are beyond people's control and the excerpt about handguns is LITERALLY PROVING THEIR POINT.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is less political and more for the kids that are worried about stepping outside and getting shot.

get a grip era.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible logic with a fundamental category error in it. Comparing accidents and intentional murders is not rational. Fuck off, Neil.

Not to mention mixing in gun homicides to contrast ... gun homicides, as well as using blunt numbers that don't explain things like compolications, underlying conditions, specific outliers and so on.

Also just WTF is he thinking. He only just got out of being canceled for an unrelated matter on Twitter and now he's self-immolating on one of about two topics everyone in America agrees require delicacy. Literally even Trump's see-something say something tweet was less insensitive (he'll fuck it up by EOD obviously).

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
always good to see another supporter of the cause.

and yeah, I don't really get what his point is here. Just because there are other things that cause death doesn't mean we shouldn't solve the problem of gun violence, something that is absolutely avoidable.

really seems like he would have been better keeping his mouth shut on this one...
Banning cars would require trillions of dollars in infrastructure so that dozens and dozens of large cities like houston have excellent public transportstion available for every neighborhood. Right now millions of people would lose their jobs and become homeless if theres no cars.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
this is less political and more for the kids that are worried about stepping outside and getting shot.

get a grip era.
If that was his point, he could have frame it better in an almost infinite amount of ways. He was just on some "Well actually..." shit

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

get a grip era.
3USgt2g.gif

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that was his point, he could have frame it better in an almost infinite amount of ways. He was just on some "Well actually..." shit
yeah, but it seems pretty obvious to me that's the angle he's coming in at even without the disclaimer. the dude has been pretty progressive in general. it's the same kind of thing you'd say to kid worried about playing at the beach because of sharks.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

get a grip era.
His data was inaccurate, his audience is far broader than kids, and his tweet offers no actual comfort for said kids worried about getting shot; rather just more things to be afraid of. There is nothing here for kids, and quite a bit for the right to use as a defense.

If that was his intent, he still needs to shut the fuck up. Let professionals at places like PBS handle discussions with children on a medium actually populated with children instead of Twitter.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This dipshit wouldn't be thinking this, let alone saying it if one of his kids were a victim. How can one be so smart and so stupid at the same time?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
He found the absolute stupidest way to frame courage in the face of terror that I've ever seen.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

get a grip era.

I know you are probably being contrarian for the sake of it but how does that make any sense?

This Tweet isn't some "don't live in fear" speech how do you get that when he mentions both medical and car accidents?

Wouldn't this discourage kids from seeing doctors or getting into cars? Not to mention people supporting the Tweet are right-wing nutjobs.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
This dipshit wouldn't be thinking this, let alone saying it if one of his kids were a victim. How can one be so smart and so stupid at the same time?
Very very easily, since when did this belief that being expert in few areas conferred expertise or base empathy in others. It's not how anything has ever even been implied to work..

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, but it seems pretty obvious to me that's the angle he's coming in at even without the disclaimer. the dude has been pretty progressive in general. it's the same kind of thing you'd say to kid worried about playing at the beach because of sharks.
If you are a sociopath yeah. if a kid was a afraid of the dark you don't tell them 6,000 people die by lightening every year so don't worry about it. It shows a extreme lack of reading a situation and worst a utter lack of understanding the concept of empahty

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm half sure Carl Sagan died before I was born, but Jeeeeesus fucking christ I miss when he was the face of astrophysics education

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What Neil is saying is the smart guy way to show how smart he is.

Yes, there are bigger causes of mass death in the world. You're a genius.

But guns aren't natural occurrences or Mother Nature. By saying "welp, this sucks but there's a lot of other things that are worse" is letting the people off who are actively letting the NRA and others buy it's way into power

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
We can work on multiple things at once and gun deaths are easy to improve compared to other nations. That's the data, not sure what Neil's point is other than selection bias.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What the hell did he think he was going to get in response to this tweet? "Oh you're right Neil. Whats 30 or so deaths? Let's just ignore the problem." I don't give a shit how intelligent someone thinks they are/actually are. It takes 1 minute to reflect on that garbage take and delete the draft.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This just goes to show you can have all the technical credentials in the world and be a complete buffoon when it comes to communication.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Banning cars would require trillions of dollars in infrastructure so that dozens and dozens of large cities like houston have excellent public transportstion available for every neighborhood. Right now millions of people would lose their jobs and become homeless if theres no cars.
I understand your point, but it's infrastructure that should have been supported from the beginning, but automobile companies and lobbyists took us in the wrong direction

I don't actually believe in banning cars, but car infrastructure in cities (especially major cities) should be less supported and public transport infrastructure should be more heavily focused on. Moreso than car infrastructure. I fully believe that car culture (American, esp.) is overall detrimental to the health of cities and their populations.

Of course, we would have to find ways to mitigate the suffering that the transition would cause, but it's something that would improve more in the end. At least I think so.

I doubt any of this would happen in the foreseeable future though. American suburbs, I don't know if there's any way to fix those without massive amounts of human inconvenience/suffering. They may be a lost cause.

Unfortunately though there will probably have to be some sort of suffering if we hope to eliminate urban sprawl, city congestion, and other issues.

If such a thing is even possible.