• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Hello Era,

I am in desperate need of advice. I work in research as a coordinator earning 30k. More recently my boss has been trying to help me get a promotion. Well just got a response that the company won't do a title change/promotion and that maybe (note the maybe) the best they can do is give a 10% raise now with a posibility of having a title change next year with gradual small raises starting next year.

I don't think this is a good deal. For one i recently saw that there are other positions being offered for the same title with the salary being offered starting at 40k. Second, i do a lot for this job. I know I deserve more. My boss knows as well (thus why he tried pushing for this promo).

It seems like there's some pushback from the department.

Do yall think I should negotiate this and be like "nah not a good deal" or should I just take the deal and start looking for a new job? If I did the latter, would I be burning a bridge with my boss for having taken a deal and leaving?

Like realisticly I knew from 30k to 40k wasn't going to happen. I would have happily taken 35k without a title change but that's not what's on the table (should I mention this?)

Should I negotiate or just let it go?

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
If you are happy with wher you work, take the 10% they are offering with the hope that they look at it again the next year as they say. Keep it in writing. A 10% raise is better than most people get by a wide margin.

Never mind, reread your post. Continue negotiating and ask for 35k. Keep your options open. Didn't hurt to apply elsewhere

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
10% is considered a generous raise IMO, I'd be careful of letting the perfect be the enemy of good unless you *know* you can get $35-$40k elsewhere and are willing to walk over it.

Personally, I'd take the 10%.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I worked at a large bank a dozen years ago. I was the trainer on our team. They were hiring temps at a 50% higher hourly wage than I was receiving. My boss fought for me and they "countered" with a .99% pay increase at review time.

You should look for a new job.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Changing roles or going to another company are the best ways to get raises. I wouldn't wait around for anything significant unless you get it in writing and even then, good luck.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a similar situation and I'm about 75% certain I'm going to have to jump jobs by the end of the year. No company is ever your friend, they will screw every last penny out of you. Just get another job while you have your current one.

Oct 28, 2017
Take what you can get from there and start looking for better paying opportunities elsewhere. It's not worth waiting for a job to finally realize you're worth more, because they likely never will. If you have the experience for a better paying job, go for it.

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
I would take the deal and try to find something else.

I was in a similar position to you years ago and the only way, in most cases, to make a big salary bump is to move jobs.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Take what you can and start looking for a new job regardless. Once you get an offer, use it as a bargaining chip.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a similar situation and I'm about 75% certain I'm going to have to jump jobs by the end of the year. No company is ever your friend, they will screw every last penny out of you. Just get another job while you have your current one.

This always

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Without knowing your exact situation - all the details and whatnot - I would push to immediately get more. 10% of 30K is $3,000 and that is not too far from the other $2,000 needed to reach 35K. If you feel really confident in your work and confident that your boss is in your corner then I would keep pushing so that you can at least reach 35K.

OP
OP
oni_saru

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you all for the replies and input!

Without knowing your exact situation - all the details and whatnot - I would push to immediately get more. 10% of 30K is $3,000 and that is not too far from the other $2,000 needed to reach 35K. If you feel really confident in your work and confident that your boss is in your corner then I would keep pushing so that you can at least reach 35K.

I have something up my sleeve. We are currently running a multi-site project and we are getting a substantial amount per participant we recruit. I think it's enough that if the company can't cover the raise then ideally my boss can pay for me via the money we are receiving from that project.

I will bring it up to my boss tomorrow and see what he says. If it's a no go, then best believe I"ll be looking for other opportunities. As much as I would love to continue working here, I also want to start earning more (especially since I just got a Masters degree).

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's probably internal HR policy that's keeping you at the 10% max raise. Only way to get more is to switch positions, leave the company, or threaten to leave so it goes up higher than HR and can get approval.

I would take the 10%, look around for different jobs (internal or external), and if you get offers, be willing to take it and walk away.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I make good money for being a recent college grad, but by switching jobs I was able to increase my total annual compensation by 80%+. Switching jobs is often always better for achieving a higher salary.

But if you prefer to stay at your current job a good technique to do is schedule bi-weekly touchpoints with your manager and go over your roles and expectations. Then discuss how you would like a salary increase if you can exceed those expectations. And if you exceed them, your manager is in a stronger position to advocate for your salary increase.

This is only a good technique when you aren't already half way out of the door.

kukubrew

Nov 7, 2017
Find your local library, get a card.
Download Hoopla app and register with your new card.
Borrow "Never split the difference" book about negotiating.
Listen to the book at 1.25 speed over the next few days.
Use what you've learned to negotiate a better raise.
Take the 40k job and bask in your newfound confidence.
Stop by my house, I'm home most afternoons. You'll have to knock with your foot though, cos your hands will be full of presents for this great advice.

Aiervon

Digital Strategist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dallas
Apply around, leverage new opportunities against the current job. If they care enough to keep you around, they'll give you a competing offer, if not, take the new opportunity and run with it and build from there. You owe none of these companies anything and should just be looking for the best situation for you, personally.

Money doesn't mean shit if you're still unfulfilled and hate going to your job -- so also take that into account. Being happy with where you work is invaluable and you can't really put a price tag on that...same goes with great benefits as well.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
If you work at a corporate company, you need to change jobs to increase your salary, usually. Take the raise and start looking.

I'm lucky in that at the company I work, I've been able to go from 30k straight out of college to 75k in six years, and I'll be getting another pay increase in a few months. (I should also add that I live in middle America, where that wage can get you a fair bit). I work for a startup though - they're very focused on rewarding strong performance. So, we hire great people and are able to retain them for adding real value to the company by significantly increasing pay for people as either the company and/or individual grows. I just have a standard business school degree (economics).

I'd recommend trying to find work for an untraditional company that truly values its culture, its employees, work-life balance, and its customers / mission. If you can find that, you'll work alongside other passionate people who want everybody to succeed and improve over time, and you'll be able to thrive professionally and financially without having to jump ship every two years. I realize it's hard to find companies like this, though. I'm very lucky.

Last edited:

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
I've been a nurse for 8 years

If I kept my first job I'd be making 27/hr with no benefits

I've switched jobs/positions/hospitals in this time and I make over double that with full benefits for my family, plus union

You will always have to switch jobs in order to get a good raise. Only stop when you've reached your "retirement" job