• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I think the value of responses like these isn't teaching the troll a lesson, but in setting standards for your community

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unrelated but I just now realized she's the person from the TLOU bunny meme. Hahaha. Small world

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel like the troll got the reaction they wanted though? All trolls I just imagine as the darkknightjoker.gif. Isn't it better to just let their comment drown in the twitch chat/ban them without giving them any attention whatsoever.

Women have the right to call out dipshits even full-well knowing they won't change ever. If it made her feel better in that moment, let her have that.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
It's a waste of time if the goal is to punish the troll or make him change. If your goal is to frustrate the troll the best thing you can do is ban him without reacting to him in any way. If that's not your goal then fine, but I'm not sure what the goal is then

The goal is that it gets clipped and shared like it has, possibly reaching people who aren't too far gone to hear its message and to give catharsis to people who know how she is feeling and can't find the words to be as articulate, who have felt isolated and find heart in somone putting into words how they feel. People relate to the feeling of standing up for yourself even if this particular troll learns nothing

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The goal is that it gets clipped and shared like it has, possibly reaching people who aren't too far gone to hear its message and to give catharsis to people who know how she is feeling and can't find the words to be as articulate, who have felt isolated and find heart in somone putting into words how they feel. People relate to the feeling of standing up for yourself even if this particular troll learns nothing

I agree. I'm mostly just reacting to all the "call the coroner" type replies, and for my part when I'm watching a streamer I prefer that they don't elevate trolls by reacting to them. Usually it's an unwelcome diversion from what I came to that stream to watch. But yea, sure, it's a good thing for getting exposure and setting a tone for her community.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
I kinda feel like the troll got the reaction they wanted though? All trolls I just imagine as the darkknightjoker.gif. Isn't it better to just let their comment drown in the twitch chat/ban them without giving them any attention whatsoever.

And she got to vent and got a 200k favorited clip on twitter out of it, so I don't know that the troll's feelings on this matter

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
My preferred method of dealing with trolls is just ignoring them. It's noise. And when watching streamers I really prefer they just ignore them and have mods sort it out, it's not entertaining listening to a streamer get triggered by a troll and derail the stream to give them a bunch of attention. The streamer is putting a bunch of effort into responding to someone who has no skin in the game and put no effort into what prompted the exchange. Again, no one is "destroyed".

I agree. I'm mostly just reacting to all the "call the coroner" type replies, and for my part when I'm watching a streamer I prefer that they don't elevate trolls by reacting to them. Usually it's an unwelcome diversion from what I came to that stream to watch. But yea, sure, it's a good thing for getting exposure and setting a tone for her community.
Ok, but I'm not sure where your preference in streamers is relevant otherwise it comes across as selfish and policing. She's already done the thing you dislike, so no going back. She's free to call out trolls and speak truth to power to make her community feel safe, and you're free to ignore streamers like her. I don't think we can scientifically say which method is better to combat trolls. Both methods can be relevant.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Extremely impressed how well she spoke (not just punctually but as well as subject matter) while also playing at the same time.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
And as I already responded to someone else, that doesn't work either. The idea that you're "emotionally smashing" anyone or "cutting down their delusions" is itself a delusion. Every day you see everywhere the power of people to dig in their heels in the face of such things, even when they seem like they should be unrecoverably embarrassing. You think you're destroying these people, but you're not. The internet makes it incredibly easy for them to shake it off and double down.
I think the point of the destruction isn't even necessarily the troll. Its the people who thought the troll was amusing. Now they can reconsider their position as someone has excellently pointed out what a shitty thing to say it is in a brutal, cutting and intelligent way. They are now more likely to shut down any misogynistic bullshit as soon as they see it and so the influence of what she said grows.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Can we please not do this.

Nope because

I just thought she burned him so well it seemed like it was rehearsed. I'm not saying I disagree with her and I don't even really care if it was rehearsed, it was just an observation I now regret making in light of these responses.

If we didn't tell you what you are doing is dumb, you wouldn't understand how ridiculous what you are saying is or problematic it is. That's the whole point people are making with this woman's post. That sharing her thought on it highlights how dumb and problematic this person is being is important and ignoring it, downplaying it or being needlessly contrarian is not helpful.

If your first thought when someone delivers a well made observation on sexism on a live stream is to say it is rehearsed, that is problematic. It doesn't matter how much you hide behind "it was just an observation bro", it is still problematic.

And dont sit here and back pedal either. If you dont think it isn't bad that it is rehearsed why are you even mentioning it? When someone makes a well articulated comment like this and you say it is rehearsed, what you are telling the world (whether you mean to or not) is that you don't think it is genuine

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see any scenario where the troll came out on top, to be honest. I mean sure, he got a reaction out of her, but she calmly roasted him. Everyone knows it. I don't think that was the reaction he wanted.

Exactly.

This was probably his reaction basically:
wadSMAZm.jpg

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
This was a brilliant response.

I tried googling Mike Birbiglia "I'm joking" but can't find the bit she's talking about. Anyone know where to find this?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Sure, a troll got what he wanted and probably got a quick, cheap chuckle out of it and then looked around on the floor for a discarded cum sock to reuse.

The other 10,000 people watching the stream (or whatever, I'm pulling a number out of my ass) were reassured that misogyny should be completely unacceptable in society, called out, ridiculed, and not allowed to propagate. Ignoring it for thousands of years is how we got to where we are today. It's time to change. "Race science" (like trying to prove through science that white people are genetically superior to others) used to be widely accepted fact and taught in schools. Now it's an extremely fringe psuedoscience that will get you fired if your employer ever found out you supported it. Making sexists and racists feel unwelcome works.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
A bit disappointed to see a couple blatantly sexist comments getting ignored by mods in this thread, especially after one was edited after being called out for it.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I'm crying. That was beautiful. She's amazing.

I don't have the habit of watching streamers, but I'll seriously consider watching her.

OP
OP
chubigans

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Added a few thread marks, video is crossing 4.5mil views now holy heck!

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very good comment that relates to a lot of y'all here:

For real.

That 'just ignore trolls/bullies' shit is pathetic boomer logic that stifles accountability and is bully fertilizer.

Make bullies afraid, marginalize them use them as examples for people playing at home so any other would-be dick-dug keeps his mouth shut.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Respect and completely right. I would be tongue tied trying to get that across in one, wish I had that composure to say that clearly.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
LoL!! That was like when the dude reached down Annihillus's throat and just yanked his guts out through his mouth!

She fuckin emptied that dude out, godamn. All calm the whole time too. Pleasure to watch

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
This girl has a level of intelligence that I would call "beautiful". A beautiful level of intelligence. It's one of those people that could achieve anything they wanted if they put their mind to it

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I was half as verbally skilled as she is. Live, while playing a game, on a stream. Holy shit.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's the fact that she kept going that that makes it. She doesn't stop the stream to engage in the argument, she just keeps going with with the game while roasting them

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Damn, I don't think I could have been that eloquent even if I wasn't doing anything else at the time, let alone playing a video game.

Fuck that guy.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
The amount of people in here whose only take is criticizing her actions and trying to dictate what she "should have done" is mind-boggling. Y'all, that's part of the problem.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the lazy obnoxious "just joking" narrative after saying something awful. The whole "just trolling" is even worse.