• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic. The last 30 seconds kinda dragged on, but she was on fucking point. I seriously hate when cowards pull the "I was joking" card to cover for their own terrible behavior.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the chud wanted is completely beside the point and if that's the criteria you're basing this on you need to examine yourself.

It was a public service announcement with a stark example for everyone.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I love the utter destruction, but we all need to stop thinking these people can be reasoned with, or shamed into being better people.

They can't.

Not always. Full-blown alt-right bigots who have embedded themselves into that mindset and truly want a world where white men rule everything can't be changed, sure. But that troll could very well just be a shitty, immature teenager who's only a little way into the alt-right pipeline and can still be shocked out of it. It's happened before and it'll happen again, and it doesn't always even need this sort of brutal takedown to work.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Not always. Full-blown alt-right bigots who have embedded themselves into that mindset and truly want a world where white men rule everything can't be changed, sure. But that troll could very well just be a shitty, immature teenager who's only a little way into the alt-right pipeline and can still be shocked out of it. It's happened before and it'll happen again, and it doesn't always even need this sort of brutal takedown to work.

Yeah, I used to feel that way too. But my experience in the last decade has been that the number who will change vs. the number who will just double down, and go seek out other communities who will reinforce and celebrate their behavior (which are readily available a click away), is vanishingly small. Call me cynical, but I've run out of patience to try to convert them. It's not up to the rest of us to give them a moral compass; all the examples they need are already there for them to see.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Yeah, I used to feel that way too. But my experience in the last decade has been that the number who will change vs. the number who will just double down, and go seek out other communities who will reinforce and celebrate their behavior (which are readily available a click away), is vanishingly small. Call me cynical, but I've run out of patience to try to convert them. It's not up to the rest of us to give them a moral compass; all the examples they need are already there for them to see.

No one's trying to convert them or give them a moral compass. You loudly blast the shit out of them and bully them off the fucking internet into a cave and put a rock in front of it. The only reason these assholes are so widespread is because people just stay quiet and "don't give the troll what they want." It was bullshit from the start.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
No one's trying to convert them or give them a moral compass. You loudly blast the shit out of them and bully them off the fucking internet into a cave and put a rock in front of it. The only reason these assholes are so widespread is because people just stay quiet and "don't give the troll what they want." It was bullshit from the start.

My point is even the blasting and bullying is empty when they have so many welcoming refuges. No matter how much we pump our fists and high five each other for TOTALLY SHREDDING alt-right losers on the internet, and imagine we've destroyed them and sent them whimpering away with their tails between their legs, that's almost never actually the case. How many people have you seen get burned publicly for things like this and then actually have it stick? They bounce right back the very next day. The next hour. And get right back on their shit.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud what negaoryx said and I'm glad she did. Yes, she absolutely should defend herself and put these guys in their place. Just don't expect much to come of it. These people have no shame to stir up. They are functionally dead.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
My point is even the blasting and bullying is empty when they have so many welcoming refuges. No matter how much we pump our fists and high five each other for TOTALLY SHREDDING alt-right losers on the internet, and imagine we've destroyed them and sent them whimpering away with their tails between their legs, that's almost never actually the case. How many people have you seen get burned publicly for things like this and then actually have it stick? They bounce right back the very next day. The next hour. And get right back on their shit.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud what negaoryx said and I'm glad she did. Yes, she absolutely should defend herself and put these guys in their place. Just don't expect much to come of it. These people have no shame to stir up. They are functionally dead.

They only bounce back because there are too many people like you who just give up.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
They only bounce back because there are too many people like you who just give up.

Never said I gave up. I just decided my energies are better spent resisting than fruitlessly trying to teach. If you think their monstrous attitudes are just a matter of too many people staying silent, you haven't been on the corners of the internet I have and seen what we're truly up against.

Most of these people you will never reach.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Just flat out telling these basement-dwellingers how insignificant they are must be crushing. They really think they're being so incredibly witty with their "jokes". Not even just the mean-spirited shit like in that clip, but apparently any sentence is a joke once you end it with Kappa. Sure, it lacks the actual joke, but they themselves are funny, right? They are so funny and witty. It's irritating as hell.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The guy she destroyed: "OMG you told me off so hard it was HOT, marry me baby, tell me off every fucking day!"

Unfortunately people like that never learn
I don't even think it was this much. I would almost bet that, after Neg was done, he just went "..so, blue then?" and was done with it :D

Edit her Youtube seems to be quite dead, so Twitch only it seems? Will keep an eye on her, that Zelda clip was legit funny as well.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Disagree. It's my belief that the most irredeemable examples are also the loudest, and so your "experience" is based largely on them. The ones who can change are generally less sure in their beliefs and therefore quieter from the start, and when they change they do that quietly as well, walking away from toxic communities and treating people in their life a bit better. You're not going to notice them nearly as much.

Also, I'm not sure where you got the idea that I want us all to calmly convert them/give them a a moral compass. I'm talking about stuff like the subject of this thread - emotionally smashing them and cutting down their delusions of how cool they and their ideology are. That's why I talked about them being shocked out of the mindset, not hand-held.

Last edited:

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree. It's my belief that the most irredeemable examples are also the loudest, and so your "experience" is based largely on them. The ones who can change are generally less sure in their beliefs and therefore quieter from the start, and when they change they do that quietly as well, walking away from toxic communities and treating people in their life a bit better. You're not going to notice them nearly as much.

Also, I'm not sure where you got the idea that I want us all to calmly convert them/give them a a moral compass. I'm talking about stuff like the subject of this thread - emotionally smashing them and cutting down their delusions of how cool they and their ideology are. That's why I talked about them being shocked out of the mindset, not hand-held.

And as I already responded to someone else, that doesn't work either. The idea that you're "emotionally smashing" anyone or "cutting down their delusions" is itself a delusion. Every day you see everywhere the power of people to dig in their heels in the face of such things, even when they seem like they should be unrecoverably embarrassing. You think you're destroying these people, but you're not. The internet makes it incredibly easy for them to shake it off and double down.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how the troll was "destroyed". To be destroyed you have to have skin in the game. He is completely anonymous. No one knows who he is. That's why he's saying that shit, to drive by and get a reaction with no effort. That's the whole point.

My preferred method of dealing with trolls is just ignoring them. It's noise. And when watching streamers I really prefer they just ignore them and have mods sort it out, it's not entertaining listening to a streamer get triggered by a troll and derail the stream to give them a bunch of attention. The streamer is putting a bunch of effort into responding to someone who has no skin in the game and put no effort into what prompted the exchange. Again, no one is "destroyed".

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
And as I already responded to someone else, that doesn't work either. The idea that you're "emotionally smashing" anyone or "cutting down their delusions" is itself a delusion. Every day you see everywhere the power of people to dig in their heels in the face of such things, even when they seem like they should be unrecoverably embarrassing. You think you're destroying these people, but you're not. The internet makes it incredibly easy for them to shake it off and double down.

You don't know this. You think you do, because you see examples all the time, but like I said - the ones least capable of change are also the loudest and most confident in their bullshit. If they're the most visible, then of course it's going to seem like everyone in the alt-right sphere is completely irredeemable - but that doesn't make it true. You not seeing the people who change doesn't make them non-existent, they're just not being as loud and visible about it.

You're also not considering recent political changes. Trump being in office emboldened these pricks, and now he's been defeated and replaced by a man who is ripping up his legacy in record time. That's not to say there won't still be a movement of fascist scum that needs to be put down, but it does mean that the whole thing will be less cool and alluring in the eyes of some people. They'll have a tougher time recruiting now that they're a bunch of losers.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
You don't know this. You think you do, because you see examples all the time, but like I said - the ones least capable of change are also the loudest and most confident in their bullshit. If they're the most visible, then of course it's going to seem like everyone in the alt-right sphere is completely irredeemable - but that doesn't make it true. You not seeing the people who change doesn't make them non-existent, they're just not being as loud and visible about it.

You're also not considering recent political changes. Trump being in office emboldened these pricks, and now he's been defeated and replaced by a man who is ripping up his legacy in record time. That's not to say there won't still be a movement of fascist scum that needs to be put down, but it does mean that the whole thing will be less cool and alluring in the eyes of some people. They'll have a tougher time recruiting now that they're a bunch of losers.

I've seen people change, but what I'm telling you is the extremely lopsided ratio makes it not worth it to me. Sure, it's not impossible that you'll change a few minds, but by and large, you won't. I know this not only because of what I've seen, but because of who I've tried it with.

Yes, absolutely we should model better behavior, and that's the better way to get through to people... at least the ones who are still impressionable enough. But don't expect much from it. The way to combat these schools of thought is to block and deplatform them wherever they spring up. Write them off, shunt them aside and banish them.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Concerns Around Sexual Harassment; Prior Ban for Inappropriate Joke and Transphobia
Last edited:

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
This is a clip of a woman responding to being sexually harassed on Twitch and your response is to accuse her of rehearsing her response.

Congrats. You're just as sexist as that user in chat.

If someone posted a video of themselves hitting 10 3-point shots in a row and I reply "seems edited?", that doesn't mean I think being good at basketball is bad. It just means I've been on the internet for a long time and I've become highly skeptical of everything I see. Me being unable to enjoy the little joys in life doesn't mean I'm sexist though?

Then it's obviously less impressive as a clip while still being 100% correct in its message?

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Yeah. Probably had a bunch of people sniggering along with him in chat.

There's some Tweets replying to her below that are like 'yeah ggs they got to you' and even lean into the whole 'shouldn't respond it's just lame to be emotional about it' etc.

It's so fucking pernicious this shit. It's playground stuff: if you do anything, including nothing, you are still seen as wrong, and they, who 'just' do something so little (and yet it becomes such a fucking drama if they're called out on it), can act innocent. So fuck that noise. If you can't win with their logic (literally impossible unless they have an ounce of shame in their hearts) then fucking torch them with the logic of, y'know, adults who are able to be open and mindful.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
If someone posted a video of themselves hitting 10 3-point shots in a row and I reply "seems edited?", that doesn't mean I think being good at basketball is bad. It just means I've been on the internet for a long time and I've become highly skeptical of everything I see. Me being unable to enjoy the little joys in life doesn't mean I'm sexist though?
See guys I'm not sexist because if you think about it, enduring sexual harassment is a lot like being good at basketball.

???

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt they learnt, but it still is a good thing for everyone to hear. I gave her a follow for this beautiful, brutal takedown.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
See guys I'm not sexist because if you think about it, enduring sexual harassment is a lot like being good at basketball.

???

Can we please not do this. I just thought she burned him so well it seemed like it was rehearsed. I'm not saying I disagree with her and I don't even really care if it was rehearsed, it was just an observation I now regret making in light of these responses.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's some Tweets replying to her below that are like 'yeah ggs they got to you' and even lean into the whole 'shouldn't respond it's just lame to be emotional about it' etc.

It's so fucking pernicious this shit. It's playground stuff: if you do anything, including nothing, you are still seen as wrong, and they, who 'just' do something so little (and yet it becomes such a fucking drama if they're called out on it), can act innocent. So fuck that noise. If you can't win with their logic (literally impossible unless they have an ounce of shame in their hearts) then fucking torch them with the logic of, y'know, adults who are able to be open and mindful.

Nah dude. She's a person with her name and face out there who's real and she's talking to a nametag on the internet. Someone several degrees removed from the exchange. No one knows his name, no one knows his face, no one even knows a single fact about him. He's so far removed from this there's nothing she can say that will affect him in any way.

You can't *cut* someone if you don't know anything about them or who they are. For example, if I replied to you right now, RedSparrow on the internet, and said your shirt is ugly and you're stupid for wearing that shirt, it would never cut you because I don't know what shirt you're wearing. If I knew what shirt you were wearing then it potentially could cut you. But since I don't, I'd be wasting my time if my goal was to own you.

That's not to say she "loses". Some of her audience may find this exchange entertaining, and clearly she got some exposure for it. But as far as the troll being "destroyed" or "put in his place" unfortunately it's not really possible unless she has a way of doxing him or something.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Can we please not do this. I just thought she burned him so well it seemed like it was rehearsed. I'm not saying I disagree with her and I don't even really care if it was rehearsed, it was just an observation I now regret making in light of these responses.

I mean that in the most friendly way, but take it as a lesson. It's good to know when to keep thoughts to yourself.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
The troll isn't the audience, people. It's everyone else. Stop obsessing over whether the sexual harasser will have a "come-to-Jesus" moment or not.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The troll isn't the audience, people. It's everyone else. Stop obsessing over whether the sexual harasser will have a "come-to-Jesus" moment or not.

I'm reacting to the topic which says a troll was "absolutely destroyed" and most of the replies saying something to that effect. No one was destroyed.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
It's a clip of her shutting down a troll. Why is it important for you to diminish what she's doing, rehearsed comments or not?

Does the spontaneity of her delivery have anything to do with her point? It doesn't. These are two entirely separate aspects of the video. I'm not seeking to diminish her point and the only reason I brought it up was because it was so well delivered it struck me as something written. Much like a lot of improv comics will have material at the ready for when the opportunity arises. If it was truly off the cuff than I'm even more impressed but me thinking otherwise isn't the same as me disagreeing with her about sexism or diminishing the point of the video. My apologies if it seemed like that was my intent, it wasn't.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
I'm reacting to the topic which says a troll was "absolutely destroyed" and most of the replies saying something to that effect. No one was destroyed.

This is a very pedantic and needless quibble, arguing over word choice because it doesn't conform to your own idiosyncratic definition of what "got destroyed" means. Yes, she can't write his name in the Death Note, so complete waste of time, sure.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a very pedantic and needless quibble, arguing over word choice because it doesn't conform to your own idiosyncratic definition of what "got destroyed" means. Yes, she can't write his name in the Death Note, so complete waste of time, sure.

It's a waste of time if the goal is to punish the troll or make him change. If your goal is to frustrate the troll the best thing you can do is ban him without reacting to him in any way. If that's not your goal then fine, but I'm not sure what the goal is then

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That was a really inspired speech. I dunno if it had any effect on the troll himself (probably not), but it was still a good thing to voice out loud to anyone who is willing to listen.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I kinda feel like the troll got the reaction they wanted though? All trolls I just imagine as the darkknightjoker.gif. Isn't it better to just let their comment drown in the twitch chat/ban them without giving them any attention whatsoever.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Nah dude. She's a person with her name and face out there who's real and she's talking to a nametag on the internet. Someone several degrees removed from the exchange. No one knows his name, no one knows his face, no one even knows a single fact about him. He's so far removed from this there's nothing she can say that will affect him in any way.

You can't *cut* someone if you don't know anything about them or who they are. For example, if I replied to you right now, RedSparrow on the internet, and said your shirt is ugly and you're stupid for wearing that shirt, it would never cut you because I don't know what shirt you're wearing. If I knew what shirt you were wearing then it potentially could cut you. But since I don't, I'd be wasting my time if my goal was to own you.

That's not to say she "loses". Some of her audience may find this exchange entertaining, and clearly she got some exposure for it. But as far as the troll being "destroyed" or "put in his place" unfortunately it's not really possible unless she has a way of doxing him or something.

Oh I don't doubt the individual concerned was very likely not convinced by it at all. I don't doubt it had little effect on them.

But what else is one to do? Sure, ignoring it is probably just as effective, but in terms of speaking out, in terms of catharsis? Fuck yeah, it's great to hear righteous anger that's also cogent and incisive.

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
For those few people talking about it being rehearsed or something, she actually did reply to someone on twitter about it.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
OP could you please put her Twitch in your post so people can check her out ?
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.