• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Very well said, but that's exactly what the troll wants, some kind of reaction. Unfortunately this will probably empower the troll to get more reactions out of streamers. The best burn is just to ignore them and silently ban them. Without an audience they have no purpose.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Very well said, but that's exactly what the troll wants, some kind of reaction. Unfortunately this will probably empower the troll to get more reactions out of streamers. The best burn is just to ignore them and silently ban them. Without an audience they have no purpose.
Pretty much. I would bet good money that this results in a radical increase in the number of trolls in her chat for the next week or so, and not much else.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Assuming he didn't expect to be called out, and this isn't some kind of weird sad hobby where he looks for any kind of reaction, I think the thing I appreciate most is that in absolutely deriding him for the behaviour, rightfully shaming it even, she struck a tone that could conceivably humble him and appeal to both his sense of shame and his better nature. "You know you and you know the parts of you that are good" -- followed by those bits where she's pointing out he wasn't joking, and that the reason he is falling back on that excuse is because he knows it was wrong. He has "had to construct a narrative" to make himself "feel better about the fact that someone is asking [him] to confront the parts about [himself] that [he] hates the most". It sounds like a telling-off that might actually sink in!

When I was a teenager, I was constantly in trouble at school, at threat of exclusion - the works - and I pushed my poor parents to the point they didn't know what to do - pleading, crying, screaming, yelling, physical punishment - nothing really worked. Until one day they started trying to just talk to me and appeal to me on a more direct emotional level. I still feel bad about putting them through some of that stuff. Expressing disappointment and bemusement and inviting people to think about what they're doing or what they've already done - can and does work!

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see any scenario where the troll came out on top, to be honest. I mean sure, he got a reaction out of her, but she calmly roasted him. Everyone knows it. I don't think that was the reaction he wanted.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming he didn't expect to be called out, and this isn't some kind of weird sad hobby where he looks for any kind of reaction, I think the thing I appreciate most is that in absolutely deriding him for the behaviour, rightfully shaming it even, she struck a tone that could conceivably humble him and appeal to both his sense of shame and his better nature. "You know you and you know the parts of you that are good" -- followed by those bits where she's pointing out he wasn't joking, and that the reason he is falling back on that excuse is because he knows it was wrong. He has "had to construct a narrative" to make himself "feel better about the fact that someone is asking [him] to confront the parts about [himself] that [he] hates the most". It sounds like a telling-off that might actually sink in!

When I was a teenager, I was constantly in trouble at school, at threat of exclusion - the works - and I pushed my poor parents to the point they didn't know what to do - pleading, crying, screaming, yelling, physical punishment - nothing really worked. Until one day they started trying to just talk to me and appeal to me on a more direct emotional level. I still feel bad about putting them through some of that stuff. Expressing disappointment and bemusement and inviting people to think about what they're doing or what they've already done - can and does work!
Yep, people can grow. Some posters here are treating this like a rap battle with sick burns, but the beauty of how she handled it is there really -aren't- any sick burns. She focused on his actions, not his merit or potential as a person -- and his actions are fully within his power to change simply by being kind and respectful. Hopefully he will reflect and become a more thoughtful person as a result.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
To everyone saying that the troll got what he wanted....

Yes, the general move is to deplatform those chuds and erase them into obscurity, but just like the act of trolling is performative, sometimes you need to publicly shame those assholes. Because banning isn't a cure-all either, chances are then he probably goes off and starts harassing some other streamer, then another, and so on. Eventually he finds some that don't have channels that are as well moderated.

If they're exposed and force to confront their own actions, like how FrakEarth was kind enough to share, then maybe they're less likely to engage in the future. The more important part though? It's a model for everyone else in that chat (and now everyone who watches that video) to see how to better handle a situation like that.

I'm actually reminded of those seditious fucks who tried to overthrow the U.S. capitol on 1/6. Some were deadly serious, others did it for a laugh, the rest probably just went along for the ride. They all thought they'd get away with it because they weren't going to suffer any consequences. You have to prove them wrong.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent on-the-fly paraphrasing to solidly state her points all for calling this man out while playing was very good, but lacked a polish; the personalization at the end and the comment about needing a beer bumped this from a 8 to a 10. Magnificent work.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I don't even watch Twitch/streamers but I kind of want to tune in to her streams, because that was pretty brilliant.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
"...you're a footnote in everyone else's"

I'm stealing that shit. That's one of those things that makes the soul burn.

A+ to her. Even though I'm sure that homie dipped out of the stream when the heat got to him, there were likely others in the stream who thought like the dude and hadn't said anything but actually stayed to listen to what she had to say. And what she said was 100% on point.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I love the utter destruction, but we all need to stop thinking these people can be reasoned with, or shamed into being better people.

They can't.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
*checks his pulse*

Yep, it's cold blooded murder in the most justifiable way possible. I'm glad he got absolutely owned. These trolls get away with far too much as it is so I'm glad someone put them on blast

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
To the people saying the troll got what he wanted:

Was his plan to make her look amazing by giving a quote that will be used for years to come while he looks stupid to the entire internet? if so, well, he was the hero all along.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

Was his plan to make her look amazing by giving a quote that will be used for years while he looks stupid to the entire internet? if so, well, he was the hero all along.
Yeah I've never really rocked with the: "You're playing into their hands" bs in regards to behavior like this. Sure dude could be laughing his ass off alone in his room thinking he's the "winner" of whatever game is going on in his head but that doesn't mean she is obligated to not be angry or express it. Particularly in this case when what she was saying and the reason she was saying it wasn't just about that singular troll and is shit a lot of people even beyond her own chat need to hear.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
DyxfamVUUAA6lEo.png
But seriously, that was beautiful. Fuck that sexist asshole.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
People saying "that's what the troll wants" can just fuck off. Who cares. The whole point is we need more people who just bully the shit out of these morons, call them out constantly and beat them over the head with how stupid they are, push the crowd (especially if you're a streamer with an audience) to publicly shame and push them out of every possible space. Deplatforming isn't just something you do to people with radio shows or writing for a website, it's something you just do to people with shitty attitudes like that moron. You fill the space with moments like these so they can't exist there without getting made fun of.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
On behalf of ladies everywhere:

meryl-arquette.gif

I remember when they told me at Gamestop that they liked sending me to get items on the top shelf for the view, or that my sales were best because I was a girl. Ta hell with stupid men who don't know when to shut that shit off and treat people normally.

EDIT: Posting this for posterity

It's absolutely fucking disgusting that anyone should ever receive messages like that but holy fuck that's one of the most savage responses i've ever seen. Imagine having to explain that shit to your mum, when my mum confronted me i'd have just died on the spot. Holy fuck even just thinking about makes me want to shrivel into a ball.

People saying "that's what the troll wants" can just fuck off. Who cares. The whole point is we need more people who just bully the shit out of these morons, call them out constantly and beat them over the head with how stupid they are, push the crowd (especially if you're a streamer with an audience) to publicly shame and push them out of every possible space. Deplatforming isn't just something you do to people with radio shows or writing for a website, it's something you just do to people with shitty attitudes like that moron. You fill the space with moments like these so they can't exist there without getting made fun of.

I'm also not sure what posters are attempting to do by posting that garbage.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

You don't fix things by ignoring them. That has never been the case. And if the dude wanted to be dunked on and make the streamer look like a gem it worked. But really, who gives a fuck about what the troll wants?

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Was his plan to make her look amazing by giving a quote that will be used for years to come while he looks stupid to the entire internet? if so, well, he was the hero all along.

in addition to this...

1) trolls are frequently not actually invulnerable to being affected by a direct response

2) on the flip side, just ignoring them does not always leave them feeling starved and helpless and defeated or whatever, and can enable them in its own way

3) "how does the troll feel after this?" is not necessarily the determinative question, anyway, since addressing a troll's bullshit can be productive in other ways

"the troll won" just strikes me as such a weird take, all around

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
People saying that "the troll got what he wanted, so he won" are missing that the troll wasn't the only person watching the stream. I don't know how many concurrent viewers she typically has, but that was potentially hundreds of thousands of other people watching that and maybe they learned something today - don't be an obnoxious, misogynistic twat and call it "joking." It's worth it to call out this behavior in public.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He got absolutely destroyed.

Someone call the paramedic.

Even if the troll got the reaction out of her, it definitely wasn't what he wanted.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She fuckin' kill em' in the game and in the chat. Goddamn.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What game is she playing?

Dead by Daylight. Its a 4 v 1 horror game where one person plays a killer hunting people and the other 4 players work together to try to escape. Tons of fun. Very deep but easy to get into game. Very worth checking out. The base game usually goes for pennies these days.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Nice response for everyone else in the chat to hear (and good for her to let out) because as some people said before that pos got exactly what he wanted. A reaction.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Fucking brilliant, my respects.

I want to invite her to our next Christmas dinner to be there next time my dad makes "just a joke".

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite response to "hurr durr I was joking" is to look back and reply, straight-faced, "I don't get it - explain the joke to me please?"

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Dead by Daylight. Its a 4 v 1 horror game where one person plays a killer hunting people and the other 4 players work together to try to escape. Tons of fun. Very deep but easy to get into game. Very worth checking out. The base game usually goes for pennies these days.
Awesome! Thankas!