• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I have been putting this off for years but I have decided to stop torturing my back and get a decent chair to sit in for my home office.

I have decided between the Herman Miller Aeron and the Steelcase Gesture based on word of mouth and Wirecutter.

Steelcase Gesture

The Steelcase is cheaper. But supposedly has more adjustments. Looks a little sturdier in pictures too.

Aeron

The Aeron is more expensive but looks a little nicer.

I don't really care about the looks, but any thoughts, opinions, other suggestions? I just want a chair that makes my back feel good after sitting in it for 5-10 hours a day. I am sure others are in a similar spot to me and can chime in or take advantage or ERA's experience in this field.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
im sitting in a Aeron at this moment.

its very nice. That said i would never pay full price for these. I got mine from a guy who saved them from a business that went out of business. They were essentially like new with plastic still wrapped around all of them.

OP
OP
bionic77

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
im sitting in a Aeron at this moment.

its very nice. That said i would never pay full price for these. I got mine from a guy who saved them from a business that went out of business. They were essentially like new with plastic still wrapped around all of them.
I would like something returned or stolen but if not I will settle for new.

My back deserves it!

Keep this within reason Jesse. Not all of can live like rockstars.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If you can afford Aeron, get aeron. It's legitimately the most comfortable office chair (or honestly, any non-couch chair) I've ever sat it. It's ludicrous how long you can sit in these without feeling uncomfortable.

OP
OP
bionic77

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If you can afford Aeron, get aeron. It's legitimately the most comfortable office chair (or honestly, any non-couch chair) I've ever sat it. It's ludicrous how long you can sit in these without feeling uncomfortable.
A lot of Aeron recommendations.

Is the one you have medium or large.

Any other advice?
that just seems expensive for a butt holder
A man's health (which includes the butt) is priceless!

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RVdE5wI.jpg

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest piece of advice I can offer is find a place where you can sit in them and judge for yourself. Word of mouth is cool for figuring out what you want to try but I wouldn't recommend buying on that alone. You have to find what works for you and your body.

I've sat in my buddies Aeron, which I assumed I'd love based on all the praise it gets, and I found it to be pretty whatever. Wasn't impressed and wasn't a fan at all. I then went to a local store that carries a lot of these higher end brands and models and sat in everything. Loved the Steelcase Leap v2.

Go try them out. It's worth it in the end.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Aeron recommendations.

Is the one you have medium or large.

Any other advice?

I have the medium one, it seems more than big enough. I feel like you'd need to be a pretty large guy to want a large one. It has the adjustable lumbar support, which I'm honestly not sure how crucial it is because I've never used the chair without it (maybe I'd really notice if it was gone, who knows). Just get standard graphite options, no need to go more expensive there. Definitely get tilt limiter/seat angle option. I have fully adjustable arms, but height adjustable is probably fine.

Oct 26, 2017

+1. Have had one at work for years and eventually bought one for home. There is a semi-annual sale on their site you can keep an eye out for, or buy one used. Almost all of it is serviceable via replacement parts.

e: I have a Medium and sometimes wish I went with large to sit more 'loafy' at home desk. Try one out if you can.

OP
OP
bionic77

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest piece of advice I can offer is find a place where you can sit in them and judge for yourself. Word of mouth is cool for figuring out what you want to try but I wouldn't recommend buying on that alone. You have to find what works for you and your body.

I've sat in my buddies Aeron, which I assumed I'd love based on all the praise it gets, and I found it to be pretty whatever. Wasn't impressed and wasn't a fan at all. I then went to a local store that carries a lot of these higher end brands and models and sat in everything. Loved the Steelcase Leap v2.

Go try them out. It's worth it in the end.
Any idea on a store that carries both?

I doubt they have these bad boys at Staples.
I admittedly chucked at butt health.
What exactly are the benefits to having such a luxurious rump holster?
For your back.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
When I tested some out while buying

HM Embody > Steelcase Leap >>>>>> HM Aeron

I tried out the Steelcase Gesture later and would put it above Leap.

Would also look at the HM Cosm if I was in the market now.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
there's a huge secondhand market for Aerons if you happen to live in/near a metropolitan area

if you want a new one and can wait, Herman Miller and Design Within Reach have seasonal sales. i recently bought a Sayl chair for 20% off/free shipping.

at work i have a Haworth Zody which is extremely comfortable and glancing at their webstore not unreasonably expensive

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Look in your area for used Herman Millers/Steelcase chairs. A lot of places will refurb them to the point where they are basically new from Offices that go out of business and you can get Aeron's and Embody's for like $700.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
When I tested some out while buying

HM Embody > Steelcase Leap >>>>>> HM Aeron

I tried out the Steelcase Gesture later and would put it above Leap.

Would also look at the HM Cosm if I was in the market now.

Exactly what I came here to post. Get the Embody if you can. TBH you can't really go wrong with any of these options. You shouldn't buy an Aeron new though - there are plenty of second hand Aerons on craigslist.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea on a store that carries both?

I doubt they have these bad boys at Staples.

For your back.

The place I went to is a super local chain so probably of no help there. I'm sure some googling will get you somewhere though. You can also check the steelcase and aeron sites for their dealers and see what's local. It might take some work but believe me it's worth it to make sure you end up with something that works for you.

And yeah like others have said don't buy new. Lots of office refurb or used models online. Check craigslist and the like.

OP
OP
bionic77

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The place I went to is a super local chain so probably of no help there. I'm sure some googling will get you somewhere though. You can also check the steelcase and aeron sites for their dealers and see what's local. It might take some work but believe me it's worth it to make sure you end up with something that works for you.

And yeah like others have said don't buy new. Lots of office refurb or used models online. Check craigslist and the like.
Good advice.

Will look for refurb supplemented by Jarate back rubs and will try out in person.

No Onions

Nov 8, 2017
I've had my Steelcase Leap for about 5 years and it still looks like new after using it every day. Comfortable too, my back feels much better after upgrading from cheap $150 office max specials.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I was in the same boat as you some time ago. Since i spend most of my time on that chair, and the previous 3 or 4 50-150$ chairs turned to garbage after a year or two, i decided to invest in something better, and it was worth it.

I have a Haworth Zody Executive all black.
I have no ideia if this brand is available in the US, but the investment was well worth it.
I customized mine to be all black (no chrome), with mesh back (for breathability in the hot summer), and leather head rest.

besides being very confortable maintaining a correct posture, it's super adjustable. Besides the basic height adjustment you have:
- The arm rests can be adjusted in 3 axis.
- The strength of the back support is adjusted with a winding mechanism to dial in the tension you prefer.
- There is an extra plastic plate for lumbar support that can be individually adjusted in height and to add pressure on the lower back with a dial for each side.
- The bottom cushion can be adjusted forwards and backwards.
- The head rest has height adjustment as well.

It's been 2 years since i bought it, and there's no sign of loosening of parts or any squeakyness on the springs.

Haworth Zody Executive

All in all, i paid about 600€ to customize it and have it delivered.

Last edited:

MisterZimbu

Oct 27, 2017
Aerons are expensive but worth it if not for the warranty alone. Given that a $100-$200 chair will break after a year, it pays for itself and is more comfortable in my experience.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I have a Steelcase Leap 2. I wanted the Gesture initially, but I tried both and found that I thought the Leap 2 was more comfortable.

I considered getting an Embody, but I've never tried one and didn't want to spend the money on a chair I couldn't try before I bought. Sometimes I regret it, but I still have never sat in one, so I don't know if its better or worse than my Leap 2.

Do not get an Aeron. They have a hard lip around the edge of the seat and I'm pretty sure that damaged my legs since I used one at work for 9 years. I had significant leg pain and as soon as I left that job, it started getting better. They look cool, but aren't comfortable and I'm pretty concerned about long term damage to my legs from using them.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I got the Steelcase Gesture some time ago and it rules. I have an Aeron at work and I prefer the Gesture over it. I heard great things about the Leap as well.

I find the ability to change seat depth on the fly a game changer. I always found the Aeron depth either too wide or narrow depending on the configuration and usually the edge end up digging into my thighs which becomes really uncomfortable.

If you do want a Herman Miller, I find the Embody much more comfortable than the Aeron. It's stupid expensive though.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I have an Aeron at work and at home. I purchased a third party headrest for my one at home and it was definitely a game changer for that chair. That being said, it was much less comfortable if you're overweight as the metal rim will dig into your thighs depending on how terrible your posture is. That was a problem that I had for quite a while but now that I'm average person sized it's the best chair I've had.

We also have the Steelcase Leap at my work and it's also a good chair but that more comes down to a fabric vs mesh argument imo.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Personally I like the Aeron better (we have both at work at my last few jobs, and I've always preferred the Aeron over the Steelcase).

I work from home one day a week (oftentimes more than that) so I needed to replace my old ass Staples chair which the fake pleather had all fallen off of.

I'm very finicky about chairs having had tendonitis in my 20s. Need highly adjustable armrests for good ergo. Period.

That said I went hunting on CL for a while and ended up with a secondhand Allsteel Relate from an office decorating place for $175. It's like 75% as good as the Aeron and actually for a home chair I like the way the back flexes/tilts better. They had Aerons for $500 too.

OP
OP
bionic77

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up getting the embody after testing it out.

Just got it today and it is nice but I am hoping to say it makes love to my back after I have used it for an extended period of time.

A lot of fiddling left to do...

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up getting the embody after testing it out.

Just got it today and it is nice but I am hoping to say it makes love to my back after I have used it for an extended period of time.

A lot of fiddling left to do...

Great looking chair (not an important factor, but still). What colour did you end up with?

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I got a refurbished Leap V2 for $350 and I love it. I considered the Aeron since used/refurbished prices I saw were similar, but I was concerned that the edge of the seat might dig into my legs.

OP
OP
bionic77

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Update time.

I am happy to report that I successfully upgraded my chair game.

I was not in severe back pain but I am in zero back pain even after sitting the chair for over 12 hours in a day.

Definitely worth the investment to get a better chair to give you back more support. Especially as you get older.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Update time.

I am happy to report that I successfully upgraded my chair game.

I was not in severe back pain but I am in zero back pain even after sitting the chair for over 12 hours in a day.

Definitely worth the investment to get a better chair to give you back more support. Especially as you get older.
What chair did you buy?