• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanny2

Nov 3, 2017
I moved into an apartment for students in June and i choose it because it was cheap all utilities were included and it was close to my school. The house is very old and small and I rent out the first floor with a friend. The upstairs can house 2 addition people in a separate housing and I have never met anyone who lived up there. While the house had its shortcomings I lived there comfortably up until early September when a new tenant moved into the room directly above mine on the 2nd floor. Since many students who live in this housing complex are/were international students I had heard that the new person living above me was a Korean exchange student. As the days passed from when the new person moved in above I started noticing little things; like how every time I went to the toilet there were footsteps above me (2nd-floor toilet is directly above mine. Or how I would sleep in some days when I didn't have class and when I moved in my bed to wake up even an inch I could hear footsteps running from anywhere in the house directly to the room above mine.

I consider myself an understanding person, so whenever I saw these coincidences I would either give them the benefit of the doubt or just assume the exchange student was lonely (had no friends, etc...) and was just trying to listen in on my life. As these coincidences starting happening more and more I got more and more upset. I would go to the bathroom pretending to use it by flushing the toilet and hop out quickly and sure enough (EVERY SINGLE TIME) footsteps would continue following me. I leave my room, footsteps, I use the bathroom footsteps. Even times when I just go grab a glass of water the PERSON WILL FOLLOW ME EVEN IN THE 5 SECOND INTERVAL IT TAKES FOR ME TO WALK TO THE FRIDGE AND BACK TO MY BEDROOM. Because the house is very old EVERYTHING CREAKS/SQUEAKS (the doors, floorboards, bed) and as a result moving ANYWHERE in this small apartment will incur a very easily hearable and followable sound which the upstairs person listens to and tracks my location around the house. It has gotten so bad in recent months every time I want to take a piss or shit I leave the shower running, the kitchen sink running and turn on the microwave to get the most sound possible so I can take a fcking shit without someone listening to me.

Finally, I had enough and decided that I really didn't know who was living above me. I circled around the house and looked at the mailbox. It WAS NOT AN EXCHANGE STUDENT. Its some girl from Maine who has been following me around for the past 6 months. Normally I would not be bothered by being followed around BUT THIS HAPPENED EVERY SINGLE DAY, EVERY SINGLE WAKING MINUTE of my time living here. I quickly realized the girl has
a) No job (no alarm in the morning or any other time)
b) No school (see above)
c) No friends (Walls are paper thin you could hear someone whisper and I have NEVER HEARD ANYTHING IN 6 MONTHS, NOT EVEN A FCKING SNEEZE)
d) No immediate family

What this means is this girl spends every SINGLE WAKING SECOND OF HER LIFE following me around the house. First, that made me mad as hell that someone would take the time out of their life just to do that to somebody. And second I'm scared for my life, this person is legitimately stalking me. I still have not met the upstairs girl EVER and she continues to harass me. Numerous times (including today) I have heard her footsteps following me (i can hear them very well she is a big woman) I hit the ceiling with my first full force and yell some shit like "STOP FOLLOWING ME" "LEAVE ME ALONE" or "THIS ISNT FUNNY, STOP". The footsteps subside for 5mintues but she always continues. I can't even have guests over because I know she is listening to all my conversations. I recently got a job that requires me to wake up at 530AM! and when I WAKE UP every time I HEAR HER FOLLOWING ME. SHE HAS NO OTHER OBLIGATIONS, SHE IS INTENTIONALLY WAKING UP AT THE SAME TIME AS ME (when she hears my alarm) JUST TO HEAR ME SHIT IN THE MORNING

In the past week its been getting worse; I think she overheard that my gf is on vacation in Florida this week so she's been extra tenacious (she follows me around more if she knows its just me in the house). I stepped out to smoke a cig the other night and go for an hour-long walk to clear my head from this shit(keep in mind this is at 12am). As I approach my house there is a window from the 2nd floor that is able to see all the way down the street I am walking. I think nothing of it and continue walking but then I look up and see THE WOMAN FUCKING SMILING STARING AT ME WALKING (fucking peeping her head out to see me). She was waiting by the window for 1 HOUR. SHE WAITS BY THE WINDOW WHEN IM NOT THERE TO TRY TO SEE WHERE IM GOING. I was fucking shook after that, I literally think she is going to kill me

Just today the most egregious thing happened, I went to go out with a friend and we met up at the porch of my place. I walked out and we went to the corner store ~2blocks away to get some drinks. I exit the store and I see that woman in her car heading down the street I am walking on staring at me like this is some fukcing game. Im SHOOK

My lease here expires in June (just ~2 months left) but I don't know how much longer I can take this. I don't know what to do, technically she is not doing anything wrong following me around the house so I can't call the cops on her, my landlord is a hopeless old lady who cannot help me (even if i did tell her I think maybe the following from the girl would get worse) AND i don't want to go over there myself and confront her because I don't want to play her game and give her the satisfaction of seeing me (Im also scared shitless)

Worse part about all this is I tell it to all my friends and my girlfriend and they just brush it off like IM THE CRAZY ONE. "its probably just a coincidence" "your lease is almost up" "Chill dude, just ignore it " HOW CAN I IGNORE A PERSON FOLLOWING ME AROUND LITERALLY EVERY SECOND IM IN MY HOUSE.

TL;DR Crazy women I don't know who lives in the room above me is legit stalking me and I don't know what actions (legal or otherwise) I can take.

THIS IS NOT A CREEPYPASTA THIS SHIT IS MY REAL LIFE I NEED HELP

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes you seem crazy. The other person is a human being, yelling at the roof will solve nothing. Go communicate, face to face, and resolve this.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
If your friends and your girlfriends can't back you up... what do you expect from this? Just wait it out and move out. You obviously don't like this place anyway.

OP
OP
ethanny2

ethanny2

Nov 3, 2017
I know i sound crazy but at least concede the point that having someone you don't know purposely follow you around the place you live (for 7 months) in a house that i could probably walk end to end in 10 steps is creepy! Do you guys think I have cause to call the police on her?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
You know, one of the most infamous "I swear I'm not crazy" posts on r/legaladvice ended up being carbon monoxide poisoning...

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to end with you telling your landlord that the upstairs renter is stalking you, with your landlord replying that nobody lives upstairs, and they haven't rented that room out ever since a girl was murdered up there

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Get one of those thermal cameras that can see through walls and see if she's really following you

This is going to end with you telling your landlord that the upstairs renter is stalking you, with your landlord replying that nobody lives upstairs, and they haven't rented that room out ever since a girl was murdered up there
Also, look for unexplainable cold areas on the thermal imaging

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling a sensitive thread over a series of posts
Are you in America?

Get a gun and then confront her.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

Funnily enough this story of theirs reminds me of a couple Junji Ito manga stories, one about a person's next-door apartment neighbor, another about a girl and her family where the family is always spying on her but deny they are and that she's just paranoid.

In a real world sense though, honestly you should just talk to them if it's bothering you. But I wouldn't go in with, "ARE YOU STALKING ME AND MOVING EVERY TIME I MOVE?," though how to approach it I don't really know myself unfortunately.

But also don't rule out the possibility this might actually legitimately be in your own head. I have a friend with paranoid schizophrenia, and honestly what you're describing sounds like the sounds she hears when she's paranoid. Like it almost sounds EXACTLY like paranoid schizophrenia symptoms. I'd look into that, don't rule it out as a possibility that you're just hearing audio hallucinations due to paranoia.

Or if they are a movement stalker, which is also a chance because there are some crazy people out there, then just... Yeah, talk to them about it and go from there I suppose.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine tolerating living in a place with walls that thin, would drive me up the wall being able to hear neighbors that easily.

Not sure what to think of this story though, sounds very strange and who the hell would take the time to do something like this to a complete stranger unless they were super unstable, which maybe they are in that case OP is there no other place you can crash at until the lease is up and then move your shit out? May have to pay more but sounds better than dealing with this constant paranoia.

pizzaparty

Oct 28, 2017
The woman upstairs is walking around her apartment and also she went to the same corner store you went to. No, no you should not call the cops. Jesus Christ.

SigmaCloud

May 8, 2018
As I approach my house there is a window from the 2nd floor that is able to see all the way down the street I am walking. I think nothing of it and continue walking but then I look up and see THE WOMAN FUCKING SMILING STARING AT ME WALKING (fucking peeping her head out to see me). She was waiting by the window for 1 HOUR. SHE WAITS BY THE WINDOW WHEN IM NOT THERE TO TRY TO SEE WHERE IM GOING. I was fucking shook after that, I literally think she is going to kill me

101xygjb.jpg

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This happened to one of my neighbors, but with someone on the same floor. Eventually, the person on the other side cut a hole through the wall big enough to crawl through.
His parents were well-off and they'd bought him a condo and given him an allowance just to get him out of their hair.

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes . Have you ever lived with other people before. Sounds like normal apartment living where other people are real human beings and the walls are thin and you think they are crazy but they just living

trinest

Oct 28, 2017
OPs reasoning that because there is no alarm that shy girl from upstairs doesn't do anything doesn't add up.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
How do you know she's from Maine?

So she hears your alarm through the walls?

This detail confused me as well, also knowing things like her being a NEET. At first I thought it read as though this was someone from OP's past that intentionally moved there to stalk them...I just don't know what to think otherwise other than OP could have some latent mental disorder that's rearing its head now.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how old your building is, I don't believe that someone living above you can hear you moving around well enough that they can follow you at all times. If it was the other way around (she lived below you), that's more likely.

OP
OP
ethanny2

ethanny2

Nov 3, 2017
How do you know she's from Maine?

So she hears your alarm through the walls?

For everyone saying that I am jumping to conclusions that she doesnt do anything all day
-I looked up her shit on linkdn
- from maine
- math BA no longer in school
- No job or recent employment

and yes you can hear someone cough loud as day in this apartment she 100% listens for my alarm and wakes up when i do

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
For everyone saying that I am jumping to conclusions that she doesnt do anything all day
- from maine

and yes you can hear someone cough loud as day in this apartment she 100% listens for my alarm and wakes up when i do
Sorry but you sound very paranoid. Any mental health history?

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
She's from Maine so she is obligated to act like she's from a scary Steven King book. She also might be a Jojo villain so don't activate her stand.

Honestly it sounds like you're a little paranoid about it so you're overreacting about her movements. I just don't get what she would gain just following you around like that.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
- from maine

Wait, so you're looking up info about her online?

Realize that these are things that a potential stalker may do.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
- from maine

Where is the friend you rent out the first floor through all of this? They should be able to notice something happening.

pizzaparty

Oct 28, 2017
- from maine

Why are you assuming her LinkedIn is up to date?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
- from maine

oh in that case, she's completely insane OP. You're the same one here, don't let anyone tell you different.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Sit outside her bedroom window at 2am in the morning eating a bowl of cereal in your underwear and occasionally tap on the window with the spoon.

If she asks you what you're doing, just stare at her and keep eating slowly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ethanny2

ethanny2

Nov 3, 2017
Where is the friend you rent out the first floor through all of this? They should be able to notice something happening.

My friend left in January, he subletted to this new dude I barely know who works a 4am - 5pm job then goes to sleep at 9pm so I don't have any opportunity to talk to him. And there is no one living in the room above his so I doubt he even notices

Nov 17, 2017
Wait how can she follow you perfectly? Hearing someone walk directly above you is easy but hearing someone walk around below you is pretty impossible unless they're talking or stomping. I know you said it's an old house that creaks but it must be crazy loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.