• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KoruptData

Oct 25, 2017
I have a dual screen setup. 27 inch 1440p monitor for PC gaming and a 1080p monitor for dual PC work flow and PS4 gaming. I'm using an Elgato HD60s and OBS for the PS4 and it works flawlessly.

Ive tried capturing PC gameplay straight to OBS and with my canvas being 1440p and my output to 1080p, I'm still dropping frames. I want to capture my PC gameplay using the Elgato and still game on the 1440p monitor.

Is it as simple as just getting an HDMI splitter and just having both PS4 and PC hooked up to the HD60? Can I capture the PC gameplay that's going to the secondary monitor but still PC game on the 1440p monitor?

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I'm curious as to why are you using the Elgato if you're playing the game and streaming on the same PC. It defeats the purpose. If you were using dual PC setup, that's one thing. All you're doing is sending the signal to the Elgato and back to the PC, forcing your PC to use more PC cycles. Either use OBS, XSplit, or another program without the capture device. Is there some reason why you're using a capture device for a single PC setup?

For example, I use one PC setup with two monitors. I set OBS to record/stream and move it to one of my monitors and use the other for gaming. Done.

OP
OP
KoruptData

KoruptData

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as to why are you using the Elgato if you're playing the game and streaming on the same PC. It defeats the purpose. If you were using dual PC setup, that's one thing. All you're doing is sending the signal to the Elgato and back to the PC, forcing your PC to use more PC cycles. Either use OBS, XSplit, or another program without the capture device. Is there some reason why you're using a capture device for a single PC setup?

For example, I use one PC setup with two monitors. I set OBS to record/stream and move it to one of my monitors and use the other for gaming. Done.

I guess I figured the Elgato would take some strain off the PC. As it stands, my stream was losing frames and looked pretty choppy. The PS4 is running 1080p/60FPS flawlessly.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I guess I figured the Elgato would take some strain off the PC. As it stands, my stream was losing frames and looked pretty choppy. The PS4 is running 1080p/60FPS flawlessly.
It's an honest mistake.

Think about it like this. Even if you were using a capture device that had onboard encoding, the PC still would have to send the stream to Twitch/YouTube or where ever. That said, do you by chance use an RTX card? If so, you can use the NVENC encoding and put less stress on the PC.

OP
OP
KoruptData

KoruptData

Oct 25, 2017
It's an honest mistake.

Think about it like this. Even if you were using a capture device that had onboard encoding, the PC still would have to send the stream to Twitch/YouTube or where ever. That said, do you by chance use an RTX card? If so, you can use the NVENC encoding and put less stress on the PC.

GTX 1660 Ti

Thanks for the info!