• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

jaydogg691

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles
ITT people are confusing Hot Pursuit to Most Wanted (2012).

This is the last NFS game I played with this gameplay structure. Coming to this game when it was announced that Criterion was developing a NFS game, I was really expecting a Burnout-ish style of gameplay. So playing this game at first took some time to get a feeling for the more weighty feel.

As much as NFS games are tied with police being in the mix, playing as the police has never been my favorite part of the series. So having the 2 separate campaigns(if I remember correctly) and having to switch between the 2 to advance was kind of a turn off. I did like having the Burnout feel of taking out cars when playing as the cops.

I never finish the complete campaign and moved on to other games. The groundwork that Criterion laid for the NFS moving on was great and their follow up, the open world racer that is Most Wanted is a game that I truly enjoyed. Most Wanted had the gameplay they introduced with Hot Pursuit with the open world style of Burnout Paradise, which is still one of my favorite games of that generation.

Shout out to the iOS version of Most Wanted. One of the first mobile games I really got into.

OP
OP
Dest

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Shout out to the iOS version of Most Wanted. One of the first mobile games I really got into.
Holy shit I forgot about this. I didn't get a smart phone until like 2014 or so. This game was absolutely the one that had me askin my mom for her phone. It was pretty good... well it's probably pretty bad but at the time!

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Criterion's hot pursuit was amazing

Criterion's most wanted was the biggest flap in the face I ever got

Burger Time

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know it was Frostbite engine.
My mistake on that, I don't remember much but it had a few visual settings I couldn't adjust to my liking though it is an older game. I don't think the new games support traditional MSAA; maybe it's just Payback that didn't since it's one of the most recent ones I tried.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
51KD5D025TL._SY445_.jpg

best arcade racer ever

nothing comes close
I'm ticked off by the fact that you didn't post the definitive edition with Tokyo in it:
ps2_midnight_club_3_dub_edition_remix-110214.jpg
Oh man! The memories. God these games were really cool.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
There was a NFS thread not too long ago and Alex Ward (former Criterion) popped in and spoke about how much they had to fight with EA to get this game made. In particular he mentioned that he's a fan of the early NFS games and felt that the game should just be about racing and cop chases in exotic cars. So basically, no Underground stuff where you're taking a Honda Civic, Ford Focus or Dodge Neon's and upgrading them into something faster. And I agree with that. NFS shouldn't be Gran Turismo. Don't get me wrong, GT is my favorite racing franchise. But it built its legacy on starting some and working your way up. NFS should be about hopping in some exotic car and going fast right away. There should be no starting small and working your way up.

Hopefully Ghost looks more toward HP2010 as an inspiration for NFS2019 and less toward the Underground and Fast and the Furious franchise. And I mean this across the board. In terms of driving mechanics, location, music, car selection and so on. HP2010 is what injected new life into the series after it struggled with games like ProStreet, Shift and Undercover. So give that formula another try.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was a great game and really want to play another NFS like that.
In my opinion, Rivals was a good one too. Played it 4 years after release and it was much better than I expected. Maybe one of the most underrated racing games of these years.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Hot Pursuit 2010 was fun. I would be ok with a new Hot Pursuit that kept the same cop/racer progression system, but with updated vehicles and a new open world.

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Carbon was the last NFS game I really loved. The original Most Wanted is GOAT imo.

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite racing game ever. Loved every second of it. It was my first and only Platinum trophy until Spider-Man this past fall.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
There was a NFS thread not too long ago and Alex Ward (former Criterion) popped in and spoke about how much they had to fight with EA to get this game made. In particular he mentioned that he's a fan of the early NFS games and felt that the game should just be about racing and cop chases in exotic cars. So basically, no Underground stuff where you're taking a Honda Civic, Ford Focus or Dodge Neon's and upgrading them into something faster. And I agree with that. NFS shouldn't be Gran Turismo. Don't get me wrong, GT is my favorite racing franchise. But it built its legacy on starting some and working your way up. NFS should be about hopping in some exotic car and going fast right away. There should be no starting small and working your way up.

Hopefully Ghost looks more toward HP2010 as an inspiration for NFS2019 and less toward the Underground and Fast and the Furious franchise. And I mean this across the board. In terms of driving mechanics, location, music, car selection and so on. HP2010 is what injected new life into the series after it struggled with games like ProStreet, Shift and Undercover. So give that formula another try.
Unfortunately I don't see Ghosts going that way. Majority of the fanbase wants the Underground/Tuner stuff (I do...but to an extent, I still want the exotics which NFS was originally known for). They really gotta nail down a good driving feel in the physics and balance between the tuner/exotics stuff. They still haven't found a perfect medium between the two imo.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Hot Pursuit 2010 is my favorite NFS ever! This game is a joy to play.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, if you didn't have to drive to events I might have to redownload it lol

You're probably thinking about any other NFS.

ONE THING TO NOTE: THIS WAS ONE OF THE LASTEST TO NOT BE OPEN WORLD. Sure, there's an open world, but it's literally there just for you to relax driving, there's not any kind of reward from doing so. That's it. Every race in the game (which you select from a menu) has a pre-set route that you can't deviate from. They're point to point races.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Or maybe instead of that halfhearted burnout paradise remaster, we should have gotten a Need for Speed 60fps Hot pursuit remaster for current gen

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Looking through this thread, it seems like a whole lot of people are confusing this with NFS: Most Wanted (2012). This was an event based racer with 2 campaigns (Racer/Police). There was no driving to events, you selected from a list.

The powers were rad, the multiplayer was rad, and the campaign was rad.

Edit: Most Wanted 2012 was also rad, btw. I just wish the crazy intro "boss" monsters when you were unlocking a new skill or area was actually something they worked into the game, rather than just for a cutscene.
Like, imagine if you had to race a mission evading THESE:

Oct 29, 2017
You're probably thinking about any other NFS.

ONE THING TO NOTE: THIS WAS ONE OF THE LASTEST TO NOT BE OPEN WORLD. Sure, there's an open world, but it's literally there just for you to relax driving, there's not any kind of reward from doing so. That's it. Every race in the game (which you select from a menu) has a pre-set route that you can't deviate from. They're point to point races.

You're probably right.

I have it on Origin too, may as well give it a spin.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, yes. It is an absolutely fantastic game, a masterclass in game design. The car handling style was accompanied PERFECTLY by the route design. This is something that later installments relying on Criterion's drifty handling failed at. MW2012's urban setting and 90 degree turns was just not a good fit. Rivals had way too many tight routes and the cars were too heavy, not to mention that unless you upgraded, your cars were waaay too fragile and the cops were way too aggressive. HP2010' country roads, highways with long winding turns? Yes please. Perfect. They also nailed the cop behaviour. They weren't nearly as suicidal as in Rivals, instead there was proper escalation.

There is also a purity to HP2010's general design. There is very little to no fluff. It's a game that put all the emphasis on the actual gameplay, and didn't really waste time and effort on anything else. Sometimes less is more - it ensured very little downtime between events, short loading screens and no cringeworthy story. It reminded me of the classic, pre-UG NFS games in a really good way.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It reminded me of the classic, pre-UG NFS games in a really good way.

Yup.

There was a NFS thread not too long ago and Alex Ward (former Criterion) popped in and spoke about how much they had to fight with EA to get this game made. In particular he mentioned that he's a fan of the early NFS games and felt that the game should just be about racing and cop chases in exotic cars. So basically, no Underground stuff where you're taking a Honda Civic, Ford Focus or Dodge Neon's and upgrading them into something faster.

RG0BS1U.gif

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Hot Pursuit games were the best NFS sub categories in my opinion. I'd like a HP2 remake/ re-imagining. One of the great arcade racers.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I dislike about this (and Criterion racers in general) is the lenghty unskippable tutorials about anything new.

jaydogg691

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles
And this is where I hope the series doesn't continue the trend of what Hollywood is doing.

They saw the success of the early Fast movies and EA followed with the Underground series. With Payback, it really looked like it was going with the recent Fast movies(which I gave up after Fast Five).

Rivals is the last NFS game I played and really enjoyed. I was excited to play NFS(2015), but by that time my interest in gaming was dwindling. I did buy the game, but never played it. :/

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
And this is where I hope the series doesn't continue the trend of what Hollywood is doing.

They saw the success of the early Fast movies and EA followed with the Underground series. With Payback, it really looked like it was going with the recent Fast movies(which I gave up after Fast Five).

Rivals is the last NFS game I played and really enjoyed. I was excited to play NFS(2015), but by that time my interest in gaming was dwindling. I did buy the game, but never played it. :/

By far the biggest issue with Payback is that it feels like it should be a 3rd person action game rather then a racer (as well as the typical awful writing that comes with EA games)

It's more Watchdogs 2/GTA then NFS at that point. So you feel limited by the game rather then just enjoying racing around

Oct 27, 2017
It was the last truely great Need for Speed. The graphics, the gameplay, the sound effects. All of those were well done.

It sucks it might be stuck on last gen but I hope PS5 backwards compatibility is able to play any game from that generation. Would be awesome.

I would also love to see Midnight Club return but seeing where Rockstar are these days I doubt it would come back.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
A game that won a BAFTA, hellz yeah. Hot Pursuit 2010 was my personal favorite NFS of all time and it was made by a studio that has always made super fun racing games. My dear Criterion Games, if only papea would let you make another burnout or nfs game!

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was the last truely great Need for Speed. The graphics, the gameplay, the sound effects. All of those were well done.

It sucks it might be stuck on last gen but I hope PS5 backwards compatibility is able to play any game from that generation. Would be awesome.

I would also love to see Midnight Club return but seeing where Rockstar are these days I doubt it would come back.
It's not stuck in that gen, it's on PC too.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
If they just make this game again, but in a different environment with new tracks, I'd be very happy. That's the best they could do with NFS.

RicJFNas

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite NFS and racing game ever. I really wish someone would make another on like this. (And for God sakes no loot boxes!)

Oct 27, 2017
If they just make this game again, but in a different environment with new tracks, I'd be very happy. That's the best they could do with NFS.
I like this line of thinking.

Just take the game as is, change the map and up the graphics. Kind of like GTA Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories being almost the same core game but with different missions and map.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
Yep I loved this game. Need For speed Hot Pursuit (2010) was the cops vs racers. Had 2 campaigns you could switch between. You could emp, spike strip, turbo,a nd a bunch of other neat sutff. It was so good. Also there mainly Sprint and Circuit races that i remember.

Need For Speed Most Wanted (2012) while still kinda rad was open world. So you just had to drive around to find new cars and do the events for the cars and that type of shit. It started the open world trend in NFS games that while I love in some (Underground series) I wouldn't want in the Hot Pursuit series. I think I've played every NFS since then except Rivals which looked like a clone of Most Wanted with a Hot Pursuit skin on it.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
This game was absolute heat. Great arcade-y experience both in single player and multiplayer. It was quite repetitive for sure - but it had a great formula that really worked well.

Definitely feels like it's a near forgotten gem.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2010, but I really hate Need For Speed Mast wanted 2012.
I think MW 2012 is the 'burn out' with the mask of Need for Speed.
And I like 'The Run' more than 'MW 2012'.
I miss EA black box so much.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't try a real Underground 3, given that the Underground aesthetic is the easiest one to sell skins, lootboxes or whatever EA wants. It's basically made to buy vinils and shit.

Hot Pursuit, indeed, was amazing. Probably the last Need for Speed I've liked.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2010, but I really hate Need For Speed Mast wanted 2012.
I think MW 2012 is the 'burn out' with the mask of Need for Speed.
And I like 'The Run' more than 'MW 2012'.
I miss EA black box so much.
I forgot where I read about it but I heard they were originally going to make "MW2". Like a straight sequel taking place years after but they ran into issue and made what we have today. Will see if I can find the source.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Without a doubt my favourite NFS game. Just incredible atmosphere, great fun and amazing multiplayer. Loved it to bits. Gimme a remake or remaster and I will be there 100%.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone get an e-mail about the survey from EA at last year?
It was a survey asking about the next game of 'Need for Speed.'
This survey did not involve NDA.