• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
As part of the 52 games in a year thing, I decided that one of the games that I should sit down and play through was Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010). I've had to game for forever and every time I play it I fall in love with it all over again.

header.jpg

This game is fucking ace and was exactly where the series should have gone. I love almost everything about it.

DRIVING FEELS GOOD

Driving in this game is an absolute blast. Cars have enough weight to make them feel believable and different from one another, but are still easy to fling around a corner going 100+ MPH. This is a combination of the easy to drift cars in Burnout Paradise and something like Grid. Pulling off near misses and driving in oncoming traffic are rewarded with boosts to your nitrous that you can use to throw yourself around Seacrest County even faster with. There are multiple types of events that come into play througout your time with the game as well, including your standard fare time trails and races but also expands into cops vs. racers style events and...

MODERN, CIVILIZED CAR COMBAT OF THE FUTURE TODAY

In events that have a combination of racers and police, after an introductory period you're given a handful of tools to deal damage the other other side of things. Spike strips and EMPs to dish out some damage and a huge boost of speed to get out of a dangerous situation, gain some extra ground or ram into an opponent. You've also got a jammer to block EMPs and on the police side of things a button to deploy a road block in place of the speed boost. Of course, you can always resort to medieval warfare and drive your hunk of metal into the opponents hunk of metal, but cars in this game have weight to them. Hitting them won't result in a plastic model car getting flung at a wall at 1,304MPH like in Burnout. Instead, you gotta make sure you've got the angle on someone or have enough speed to punt them out of existence.

SEACREST COUNTY IS A PLACE I WANT TO GO FOR REAL TO DRIVE INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE EXOTIC CARS I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO AFFORD FOR REAL IN REAL LIFE

The look, the variety, the scale, the time cycles. I love Seacrest, I want to go there for real. Don't tell me to go to California and drive, I've done that and it's not the same.
WfLsIn8.jpg

yPCxrjK.jpg

L6TsPlU.jpg

Roads are wide, locations are varied enough, taking you to slightly snowy mountains, the coast, coastal farm lands and giant interstate like roads. I'm not sure what the actual scale is in comparison to some of the larger open world racing games are today, but I don't think anything compares to how the scale feels in this game. It's hard to describe, but if you've played this before, you know what I mean.

THE MUSIC WAS MODERATELY BANGIN'

There's a good variety of music here. This was in the turn of the 10s, so there's some bright, upbeat electronic mixed in with something you'd expect out of a Burnout soundtrack. It's missing out on some rap and metal infused electronic music of Underground and Most Wanted days, but the overall brighter feeling of the soundtrack fits very well with the setting.

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN

I feel like you probably could have taken this game, given it a proper open world and online components to mix in with that for next gen systems and you'd have had the perfect future for Need for Speed. Going back and playing this really makes the more modern entries of Need for Speed pale in comparison. I think Need for Speed (2015) was a good attempt to recreate the feeling of the Underground games, but I feel like there's so much more here and more that could have been done with extra entries in the Hot Pursuit line. High Stakes has always been my favorite, but this is a close second I believe and if I wanted one to get a "sequel" I'd likely go with this one.

Did y'all ever play this? If so, what did you think at the time? Does going back and playing it still good? I love this game and I want to hear what people think of it almost 10 years later.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Damn I forgot how good it looked.

And yes, I thought it was a perfect reboot of the Hot Pursuit subseries. It was absolutely brilliant. Haven't gone back to it though, so I have no idea if it still holds up, but back then I played it a ton. Got really good online too to the point where I was winning almost every race regardless of what side I was on.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It was a fun game. I would not complain if the next NFS was like it.

Some good memories came out of beating that game over drinks with a friend. It was the first time I'd taken turns playing a game in a decade, before and after.

Rivals? The first one this gen...was good. It's still the best of this gen's.

Only the last one was shit. The reboot was alright and fine. They really fucked up with Showdown and its cards and micro transactions. It was hard to even finish without spending money. I dropped it down to easy to do so.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I loved this game. Most Wanted was such a huge disappointment as a follow up. The "Hot Pursuit" titles are Need For Speed for me.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't play, never been a fan of open city racers and their dull, easy tracks. The last good NFS was High Stakes. A return to circuit based, crazy arcade racing is long overdue, and sadly unlikely.

OP
OP
Dest

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Didn't play, never been a fan of open city racers and their dull, easy tracks. The last good NFS was High Stakes. A return to circuit based, crazy arcade racing is long overdue, and sadly unlikely.
This isn't in a city, but the open world is only for freeroam. No circuits either, but you've got some very tight point to points. High Stakes still my favorite, though.
I enjoyed it for a while but got bored of constantly having to drive to events. Felt like empty padding.
But you just select them from a menu?
FkUMTL0.png

TGmCfbF.png

Last edited:

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Always found the handling floaty and a less fun version of OutRun 2's. My personal last fav NFS was prostreet

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Got platinum on it and yeah, it would've been nice if HP is where the series continued, I'm not as down on Most Wanted as others are but everything that's come after it as been disappointing and from Rivals on kind of shit, in part thanks to EA forcing Frostbite on all their developers when Criterion's engine was superior and they sacrificed Burnout for nothing.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I never like Hot Pursuit like that idk.

Also is there gonna be a new NFS? Haven't they been doing worse and worse YoY? Surprised EA hasn't pulled it tbh

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Played that game a lot (got all the achievements), but mainly because I was starved for a racing game.

I never particularly enjoyed the driving in Hot Pursuit, the car's handling just felt SO heavy. I adapted to it, but never grew to love it.

I barely played much of Most Wanted, but playing it fairly recently I was much more comfortable with the car handling, felt much closer to Burnout which was my favorite racing series (before it was killed off for the Need for Speed franchise to be revived).
I regret not playing it back when it first came out, I don't really know why I never tried out Most Wanted in the first place.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Even though the main point of interest is the music track, I didn't want to simply upload a song with a simple picture (it feels tacky honestly). So I loaded up the latest Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, and recorded a joyride around Seacrest County. Callista is a great song for traveling, whether it be along Earth's coasts, or across the galaxy.

Deraldin

Oct 25, 2017
I had this sitting on my hard drive for the longest time. The ultimate race in the game "Seacrest Tour" where it took you all over the map was perfect. I'd load up the game just to play a round of that specific race before I'd turn in for the night. Not sure I have the patience to work my way through all of the races before that in order to get that last one again.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loved Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010), OP is dead-on about the feeling of it being perfect. I need to play it again sometime soon.

As for future Need for Speed games being as good, if only.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I loved Hot Pursuit so much, I wanted it to be BC so I had an excuse to start a new save file. I'm still baffled EA never made a follow up, it was a hit.
I'm also amazed Playground didn't rinse it for ideas and eat EA's lunch, seems trivial to include in Horizon.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Benny Benassi ft. Gary Go's Cinema came out in 2010?! Man I feel old. That song felt like it came out 5 years ago to me. I need to de-age.

Also, I've always been wanting to check this game out since I love the NFS serious. I've played them all except this and Payback.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Yeah, Hot Pursuit 2010 was awesome..

And once people get past the fact that it was named most wanted, MW2012 is pretty good too. Burnout Paradise but with real cars. Underrated game.

Burger Time

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't like it, the Frostbite engine NFS games look really rough. I had way more fun with Hot Pursuit 2 on the Xbox / PC even if it wasn't as good as the PS2 version.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
hot pursuit 2 was GOAT

if measured by nothing else than soundtrack it's number 1

fake edit: between Tony Hawk, MVP Baseball and this game (NFSU1/2), soundtracks haven't been as good since. Do games even have notable licensed soundtracks anymore?

when you unlock the lambo cop car
m y g o d

edit: I had GameCube version and iirc it was HELLA different from ps2

Last edited:

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
if measured by nothing else than soundtrack it's number 1

when you unlock the lambo cop car
m y g o d

edit: I had GameCube version and iirc it was HELLA different from ps2

Not just the sound track... the vehicle collision, coop/splitscreen, police chases, police voice acting with dispatch, and more. Game was truly one of the greats. I spent so many hours into it.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Not just the sound track... the vehicle collision, coop/splitscreen, police chases, police voice acting with dispatch, and more. Game was truly one of the greats. I spent so many hours into it.

Oh no doubt, I was saying sound track alone is goat status

But you are right those co-op cop chases were out of control awesome, you nailed it with those cop voiceovers (just pulled up a video for nostalgia) truly one of the greats

rip in pieces ND4 SPD

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The first most wanted and undergroung 2 were the best ones i ever played, i wasted so many hours.

That being said, calling the 2015 a good attempt of bringing underground series back...i dont know if i trust in your word of the "new" hot porsuit being good