• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Currently in the Amtrak to NYC for the New York Comic-Con, I need to know what places serve the best thin crust pizza. None of that deep dish bullshit or lump dick floppy greasy slices. The good old fashioned, brick oven, thin and crispy, NYC pizza. I'll be staying in Manhattan, so any advice would be great.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you stay away from $1 pizza slices, virtually anything you nab in NYC will be delicious.

Christ even the street vendors have better pizza than anything you'll find outside of NY.

Point is, don't get hung up on the "perfect slice". It's ALL good.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
xVpU1wxzKYJhgMtGSNtV6JMuBx-p5aALxjLqcon0nzU.jpg

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Currently in the Amtrak to NYC for the New York Comic-Con, I need to know what places serve the best thin crust pizza. None of that deep dish bullshit or lump dick floppy greasy slices. The good old fashioned, brick oven, thin and crispy, NYC pizza. I'll be staying in Manhattan, so any advice would be great.
what do you think NY Pizza looks like?

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
For an NY slice probably can't to wrong at most regular places. I'd say square pies and Neapolitan have specific places that are really good compared to others.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
You should check out the fairly new Joe & Pat's in Manhattan. It's the first expansion of a classic Staten Island pizza place.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
most pizza places aren't brick oven

NY Pizza Suprema near Penn Station is pretty good for slices

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Highline Pizzeria is somewhat near that area and has pretty decent NY pizza (just get the regular slices, don't go for "supreme" or whatever "specialty pizzas"). Plus you get to check out the Highline.

Also, it's not "NY pizza", but Waldy's and Tappo Thin Crust Pizza are worth trying if you like thin crust. The Tappo spicy marinara sauce pizza is pretty damn fantastic.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Protip: Any place that says they're the Original Ray's is not the Original Ray's. But they're probably still pretty good.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Any combination of the words "famous", "original", or "Joe's" will do you right

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I spoke to a food critic when I was waiting at Lucali's in Brooklyn.

He gave me the following locations for the best pizza in the area:

Difara
La Casa Bella
L&B Spumoni Garden (specifically the square slice pizzas)
New Park Pizza

Unfortunately, these are all in Brooklyn.

When I was visiting, I had 99 cent pizza, Juliana's, and Lucali's.

- Now, Lucali's is the cloest to what you want: thin, crispy crust, authentic toppings, and a wood brick oven. But you'll be waiting a few hours for the privilege to get a sitting. If you do happen to go, make sure you get a calzone. It's incredible.
- Juliana's was fantastic. Thin crust and delicious toppings, but more of a foldable crust. Still very Neapolitan in style. I went to the one near the Brooklyn bridge that was in a high end food hall of sorts, up on the balcony. I can't remember what it was called. I was recommended to go there by the waiter at Juliana's since the wait at the restaurant was fairly long.
- 99 cent pizza might still be my favorite. It's soft, pliable, and a bit greasy. But it's some of the best pizza you'll eat with no wait or hassle, and you can be sure you'll always get a fresh slice.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Just look for anywhere that sells slices for more than a dollar. Specifically, places that say something along the lines of "slice and drink, $5" are your friends in this situation. You'll get a great piece of pizza and a warm, likely flat can of sprite to wash it down with and make you wish you had just gotten a second slice instead of a drink.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
+1 to this -- the best Joe's Pizza is the one in the West Village, but the one on 14th (between 3rd & 4th) is also pretty damn good.
Yup I had several slices from the West Village one, second best pizza I ever had. OP, you should try it whenever you're in the area in the area.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
The pizza shop IN Penn Station actually has solid NY-style pizza. I always grab a couple slices from there when passing through.

Edit: I guess I should clarify as I didn't realize there's more than one in Penn Station. This one is right near the Amtrak boarding stairs. It sits on a corner and is smaller.

Oct 27, 2017
For just a straight up slice, Joe's Pizza on Bleecker or 14th St.

The vast majority of pizza in Manhattan is not "fantastic". The vast majority of pizza in Manhattan is "serviceable".

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best Pizza is Manhattan is Prince St, free.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Paulie G's if you find yourself in Brooklyn. They have a slice shop now too so you don't have to jockey for a table at the restaurant.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
The pizza shop IN Penn Station actually has solid NY-style pizza. I always grab a couple slices from there when passing through.

Edit: I guess I should clarify as I didn't realize there's more than one in Penn Station. This one is right near the Amtrak boarding stairs. It sits on a corner and is smaller.

IME, any food in Penn Station is somewhere between bad and trash. This extends to Penn Station itself, a literal hole.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
You're gonna be in Hells Kitchen my dude. Pizza Suprema on 8th is where i would go Try to make it to Johns on Bleecker or Joe's on Carmine.

Be prepared to wait.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
As long as you stay away from $1 pizza slices, virtually anything you nab in NYC will be delicious.

Christ even the street vendors have better pizza than anything you'll find outside of NY.

Point is, don't get hung up on the "perfect slice". It's ALL good.
Even the $1 slices are better than most places outside of NYC. It's one of the few things I enjoy about visiting 😂

Fluffhead14

Oct 27, 2017
midtown: Pizza Suprema
southern manhattan: John's of Bleecker, Joe's, Prince Street Pizza (the spicy square is exceptional)
brooklyn: Lucali, Best Pizza, Grimaldi's, Motorino, L&B Spumoni Gardens (square slice), Roberta's

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Any pizza in NY that isn't $1 slice is great and I went to a lot of pizza places when I was there several years ago, but my personal favorite hands down was Grimaldi's in Brooklyn. They're a bit spendy but a must visit, OP. Perfect mix of crisp, yet foldable crust and absolutely delicious. Will definitely be going there again next time.

Edit - DLC food recommendation:

In case you're also interested in trying some great Kosher deli food at a sometimes-overlooked place that is legit and doesn't have a loud, "touristy" atmosphere (hello Katz) then be sure to try the Pastrami Queen (on Mulberry St. not too far from the Met), super delicious stacked sandwiches made to order! Their fresh pickles and knishes are ace too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Demon Lizardman
Oct 25, 2017
Any pizza in NY that isn't $1 slice is great and I went to a lot of pizza places when I was there several years ago, but my personal favorite hands down was Grimaldi's in Brooklyn. They're a bit spendy but a must visit, OP. Perfect mix of crisp, yet foldable crust and absolutely delicious. Will definitely be going there again next time.

Edit: Also OP, in case you're also interested in trying some great Kosher deli food at sometimes-overlooked place that is legit and doesn't have a loud, "touristy" atmosphere (hello Katz) then be sure to try the Pastrami Queen (on Mulberry St. not to far from the Met), absolutely incredible stacked sandwiches!
As a Jew, I'll be sure to try that out. Virginia/DC has really disappointing Kosher deli's.

ohkay

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite pizza is Pauli's Gee's in Brooklyn, but as long as you avoid dollar slices, you should get a decent slice, tho it will probably be limp and floppy

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
As a Jew, I'll be sure to try that out. Virginia/DC has really disappointing Kosher deli's.

In case you missed my edit the fresh pickles they serve with the sandwiches are delicious and I also shared a kinish while I was there (potato and spinach) which was also very good. Also, the butcher will let you sample whatever meat you're interested in before ordering if you tip them. Would be interested in what you think of them if you ever bump the thread later. I'm not Jewish myself and haven't been to a lot of kosher delis so YMMV but I loved it and it's one of my #1 places to return to whenever I go back to NYC.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can get over Dave Portnoy/Barstool nonsense, just download the one bite app and you will see reviews of spots around you. Including ones he's done himself. But like others have said, most slices will be better than what you normally get somewhere outside the northeast. I remember when I moved to Texas I thought most pizza was awful. On the flipside, the mexican food was incredible. Even gas station mexican food was amazing in Texas.

Every region has their thing.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh if you're going to be in Hell's Kitchen take a walk and check out Best Bagel & Coffee. I had an insanely stacked bagel there. It was really damned good.

Here's a shitty picture I took after I ate half of it.

image0.jpg