• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Hello weekendERA, I'm in the market for a streaming device. It must include the following:

• 4k streaming ability
  • 5Ghz Wifi (or with an ethernet port)
  • Comparable with apps like YouTube, Disney+, etc.
My budget is around 60 bucks but I'd prefer to spend less. Also, it doesn't have to be a stick but I'd prefer something that's more on the low-key side.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Shield TV, especially if you PC game.

edit: sorry, just saw your budget. In that case, get a Fire TV. I'm sure they'll be on sale for Black Friday.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the benefit of using one of these devices vs just using your TV's native apps?

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
What's the benefit of using one of these devices vs just using your TV's native apps?

Smart TV apps (or even just Smart TVs in general) are rarely updated. The apps often disappear after a few years. My TV gained Twitch, and eventually lost it after a year. I can still cast to my Chromecast without any issue.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smart TV apps (or even just Smart TVs in general) are rarely updated. The apps often disappear after a few years. My TV gained Twitch, and eventually lost it after a year. I can still cast to my Chromecast without any issue.

Apps are more up to date, typically have better performance, better app selection sometimes and the device overall has more functionality.

Hmm. Sounds like it's more beneficial if your TV is a few years old and not being supported anymore.

The devices themselves are one-time purchases, right?

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm. Sounds like it's more beneficial if your TV is a few years old and not being supported anymore.

My TV isn't even that old (~2 years old), was one of Samsung's top-of-the-line TVs, and it's already losing things.

Better app selection is also a thing. My TV never had Crunchyroll or Funimation (one of those two, can't remember), but I've always had it on Chromecast.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

I would say it can be beneficial up front since the apps often perform better, better app selection, and the boxes have more functionality than what come with your TV. Plus yes, thinking long term, at some point your TV will get older and the functionality will likely regress before you're actually ready to swap out your TV. Decoupling the functionality to be independent of the TV manufacturer is just less of a headache in the long run IMO.

What do you mean by a one time purchase for the box though? Even the boxes get updated and depending on how cheap you go, you may want to upgrade that at some point. But upgrading the box is also way cheaper than upgrading the TV too. Personally, my four Shield TVs are about 4 years old now and they're still going strong compared to some of the horror stories I've heard about Smart TV apps in that time frame.

BaNDaMaN

Nov 1, 2019
Chromecast Ultra on Black Friday is probably your best bet. I had one and it was great and the playback was smooth, but I've since upgraded to an Apple TV 4K.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say it can be beneficial up front since the apps often perform better, better app selection, and the boxes have more functionality than what come with your TV. Plus yes, thinking long term, at some point your TV will get older and the functionality will likely regress before you're actually ready to swap out your TV. Decoupling the functionality to be independent of the TV manufacturer is just less of a headache in the long run IMO.

What do you mean by a one time purchase for the box though? Even the boxes get updated and depending on how cheap you go, you may want to upgrade that at some point. But upgrading the box is also way cheaper than upgrading the TV too. Personally, my four Shield TVs are about 4 years old now and they're still going strong compared to some of the horror stories I've heard about Smart TV apps in that time frame.

I mean, you just buy the boxes outright, right?