• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game for travel?

• Chrono Trigger

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • FFIX

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • FFVI

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • DQVIII

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • FF Tactics

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
So left my Switch at home.. smh and need a good engaging game for a 6 hr plane ride. Those are my choices:

Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest VIII, FFIX, FFVI, or FF:Tactics.

I have played all but tactics, but i want the best game of them all. Or if you have other choices state them. Has to be offline as well.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Trigger is the fastest to get to the meat of the story. It also has the quickest and most modern battle engine of the game's listed.

Final Fantasy 6 is a close second but the story has more bite and might not be suited for a flight.

The rest can stay at home.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
DQ8 on android is awful. The controls are bad, there's a abysmal locked framerate (something like 15fps) , it's just terrible all around.

So I would say FF Tactics if that port isn't bad (i have it but i haven't checked)

OORRR

Stardew Valley.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know you posted DQ VIII, but if you have not played IV or V, they are better for a "short" experience.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
monument valley is good but it might be a bit shorter than that

edit: might as well ask here, is chrono trigger worth it on android

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
Do not play DQ8 on android, it's a pretty bad port.
I'd rather recommend DQ6 since it is also fairly mid length but is a good port and game.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
FF6 and CT are terrible mobile ports, don't get them.
FFT is a fantastic port, but I'm not sure if that's what you want to play for 6h...

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
FFT port on android works well for me, played it through several times. Six hours won't get you too far into it, but that doesn't seem to be an issue with your other choices.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest VIII would be my first suggestion then Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger is such a timeless classic so that is not a bad choice either.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Play War of the Lions! Enough gameplay variety to keep you occupied for sure.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Chrono is my favorite of those, but if you haven't played tactics, you should play tactics. It's nice that it's turned based, meaning that bumpy flights won't cause you any trouble.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Play ffix. The flight should last you around the lenght of the first CD and that's the best part of an excellent, the best on your list.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
Card City Nights.

It's a card strategy game. Fully single player, NO mtx, light hearted and personally the only mobile game I've ever liked more than just a little bit.

EDIT. Missed a very important word!

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
Chrono Trigger is a fine port. I played through it on iOS and had no problems outside of a few bits of text running out of the dialogue boxes. That was years ago though, so I'd imagine they patched it.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a good port of War of the Lions, without that verion's slowdown. I have a rather small phone, so it didn't play too well for me; but when I got a larger one it was a blast to play through.

Final Fantasy VI may look ugly, but I find it a very solid port with some great additions to combat. Don't listen to the naysayers; it plays fantastic and, if it weren't for the graphics, it would be held in a higher regard.

I'd also like to nominate Valkyrie Profile and, if the Android has it, LUNAR Silver Star Story Touch. As others have said, stay away from Dragon Quest VIII, but check out DQV.