• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
LOL at the poll.

www.nytimes.com

Nearly Half of Men Say They Do Most of the Home Schooling. 3 Percent of Women Agree. (Published 2020)

A survey suggests that pandemic-era domestic work isn’t being divided more equitably than before the lockdown.

Home schooling, the new parental chore brought about by coronavirus lockdowns, is being handled disproportionately by women, according to a new poll by Morning Consult for The New York Times. Fathers don't necessarily agree — nearly half of those with children under 12 report spending more time on it than their spouse — but just 3 percent of women say their spouse is doing more. Eighty percent of mothers say they spend more time on it.

There is also more of the usual housework and child care during lockdown. Even though men and women are both doing more, the survey found, the results suggest they aren't dividing the work any differently or more equitably than they were before. Seventy percent of women say they're fully or mostly responsible for housework during lockdown, and 66 percent say so for child care — roughly the same shares as in typical times.

Again, men and women see it differently. A much smaller share of men, about 20 percent, agree that their spouses are fully or mostly responsible for both housework and child care. About 20 percent of men say they are fully or mostly responsible for these tasks during lockdown. Only around 2 percent of women agree. Past research using time diaries has consistently shown that men often overestimate the amount they do, and that women do more.

Seems dad's overestimate the amount of work they do at home.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
This is probably true.

But don't forget, most people think they're above average. A study in Australia showed 86% of employees think they're above average, and only 1% think they're below average.

People just don't have a good sense of where they lie on the curve and tend to overindex what they do or how good they are

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a teacher in Texas. I have more dads emailing me questions about their students work, and generally hear from dads more, but my school also has a surprisingly large Nigerian population. I admittedly don't know a whole lot about Nigerian culture/home dynamics, but the impression I got this year (it's my first year teaching at the school) is that it's usually very much led by Dad. Almost anytime we had a parent/teacher conference, both parents showed up, but Dad did all the talking.

Personally speaking, my mom was absolutely more involved in my school life, but she's a teacher too so I wouldn't say that's too surprising.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm men (me) do most of the homeschooling in our household, as wife taking care of newborn.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Can someone explain the concept of home schooling to me - I know what it means, but, I mean - how does it work with grades, exams, tests.... Never really understood that. They have classes broadcast on TV and Internet here because of the virus, and I think they will have some online testing, not sure to be honest. But home schooling didn't exist here before, and I know some countries like US had it for a while. So I guess this is a good moment to ask someone to explain how this works exactly. I guess my main questions are: 1. how are parents qualified to be teachers (do they have to learn the subject matter first?) and 2. How does grading and tests work?

Thanks.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone explain the concept of home schooling to me - I know what it means, but, I mean - how does it work with grades, exams, tests.... Never really understood that. We have classes broadcast on TV and Internet at the moment, and I think they will have some online testing, not sure to be honest. But home schooling didn't exist here before, and I know some countries like US had it for a while. So I guess this is a good moment to ask someone to explain how this works exactly.

The home schooling the article is referring to isn't what we'd typically call home schooling because in this case, the students are still more than likely getting assignments from their school and teacher, they're just doing it at home and not at school because schools are all closed. Since they're at home, their teacher also isn't going to be as accessible, so they're leaning on mom and dad to help them.

Regular home schooling is going to look a bit different state by state (just like actual schooling), but here's information on what it looks like in TX: https://tea.texas.gov/texas-schools...inding-a-school-for-your-child/home-schooling

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
The home schooling the article is referring to isn't what we'd typically call home schooling because in this case, the students are still more than likely getting assignments from their school and teacher, they're just doing it at home and not at school because schools are all closed. Since they're at home, their teacher also isn't going to be as accessible, so they're leaning on mom and dad to help them.

I see, thanks for the clarification.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
This is probably true.

But don't forget, most people think they're above average. A study in Australia showed 86% of employees think they're above average, and only 1% think they're below average.

People just don't have a good sense of where they lie on the curve and tend to overindex what they do or how good they are

Comparing the amount of time you spend with your kid compared to your spouse isn't anywhere near as abstract as gauging your work performance relative to your peers.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I think the same phenomenon happens with household chores.

Probably, but anecdotally when my parents were together my Dad absolutely did more of the chores around the house. Cleaning is a massive stress reliever for him, he legitimately loves it. Cooking is easily his biggest hobby.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I thought most teachers were still teaching via zoom?

High school teachers and college professors might be, but in my area most elementary school teachers and middle schools (if not all) definitely aren't. Nobody would be able to control 30 1st graders in a zoom meeting, it would be a complete waste of everyone's time. I teach 3rd grade, we post work/the objectives for the week on Mondays, grade it as we get it (the grades don't count right now, but the kids don't know that) and then on Fridays we invite the kids who turned stuff in to a Hangouts "Party" where they can talk to us teachers and see their classmates, but that's about it. I wouldn't say what my district is asking us to do right now really qualifies as teaching at the moment.

Until a week or so ago, my district didn't want us video chatting with the kids at all because "we couldn't control what happens in their backgrounds", which is a dumb reason, but whatever.

Last edited:

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I do 95% of our daughter's school day, but that's because I'm only working part time from home while my wife is the main breadwinner. It's all good and I really enjoy it. I've been supplementing with extra activities and our kid almost has her times tables memorized through 12.

My daughter's second grade teacher sends out learning objectives for the week, she meets with the whole class over Zoom once a week and then does lunch groups for kids who want it.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't appreciate the underlying 'lol, dad's don't do shit' premise that this thread started with. This isn't the '60s; many fathers are active and equal parts of their children's lives in this day and age.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Women always thinking they are doing everything around the house, am I right? /s

As with most opinion polls, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't appreciate the underlying 'lol, dad's don't do shit' premise that this thread started with. This isn't the '60s; many fathers are active and equal parts of their children's lives in this day and age.
Sure. The poll was more on who does more from each partner's POV. It was not about partners that don't do any work.

Looks like there is a perception problem in this small poll.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The wife is definitely handling my son's learning, but then again, she is also a teacher.

In regards to physical house work, I do more. The wife carries more of the mental load, so I think it evens out.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I thought most teachers were still teaching via zoom?

Nah, they have weekly one hour sessions on zoom, but most of the work is digital work

I've straight up used the women's restroom more than once because the only changing table is in the women's restroom

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably true.

Women always thinking they are doing everything around the house, am I right? /s

As with most opinion polls, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
Says in the article (and also what I've seen in other reports) that methods such as time diaries back up the conclusion that men generally overestimate the work they do while women actually do more of the work. I think this beyond just people equally overestimating themselves.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've straight up used the women's restroom more than once because the only changing table is in the women's restroom

I have too. The lack of equal access to those amenities is at least in part attributable to the kinds of regressive thinking that dismiss the objectively larger role in child care that modern fathers are taking on. Unfortunately, those regressive attitudes and stereotypes are fully on display even here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I work from home. So in addition to my work on my breaks I'm cleaning the kitchen, doing laundry, running errands, taking out the trash, etc.

But because my wife doesn't SEE me do those things-I might as well have not done them.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Not really surprising. There is ample evidence that despite women working essentially equally as much as men they continue to do far more of the housework.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Says in the article (and also what I've seen in other reports) that methods such as time diaries back up the conclusion that men generally overestimate the work they do while women actually do more of the work. I think this beyond just people equally overestimating themselves.

"Generally" sure,

But in those studies you mention do only 3 percent of men do more work than women?