• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I was home alone at my desk working a couple of years ago when a gobstopper (one of the smaller ones) went straight down my throat as I took a breath (I can't breathe through my nose almost at all) It got stuck and I freaked out and TBH I'm not 100% sure how I got it out, but I haven't had those things since :( very scary.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Good time to remind everyone in case this ever happens when you are alone:

23222.jpg

Also never EVER seek solitude if you feel you are choking. Better to be embarrassed and alive than the alternative. Glad your coworker was able to help you OP!
30 Rock taught me this.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck, reading the people that choked with tablets just increased my phobia to those god damn things. Literally everytime I'm about to take one I start to painc thinking that it'll go wrong and I'll start to choke :(

Glad you're okay OP.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
My grandma almost choked to death on a piece of mochi at the community center. Luckily some old dude saved her life by shoving a vacuum cleaner nozzle down her throat.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
This happened to me on thanksgiving when I was younger. I choked on a turkey skin.
One of the scariest moments of my life, my dad tried his best to do heimlich on me and I eventually coughed it up. Fuck turkey

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Fuck that sounds scary. Glad you're okay.

oh gosh thanks for posting that I've always wondered what you're supposed to do alone in a situation like that
I've panicked and punched myself hard and a piece of food flew out. Was only a second so I have no idea what could have happened. But the posted chair method is correct way

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I have a vivid memory of getting an ice cube stuck in my throat for only a brief amount of time when I was a kid and there is nothing like that panic that sets in when you can't breathe

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I choked on a piece of steak at Outback once. It was on a first date as well. I got it out and I was fine, but it was scary and embarrassing. The relationship lasted two more years though, so that was cool. That was probably about 18 years ago and I still to this day cut my steak into very small pieces.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

23222.jpg

Also never EVER seek solitude if you feel you are choking. Better to be embarrassed and alive than the alternative. Glad your coworker was able to help you OP!
and if this isn't working? does anyone have the balls to give themselves a uhh, emergency airway puncture?

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017

23222.jpg

Yep, I learned this in a CPR class years ago and still remember it vividly.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has sufficiently scared me that I will never eat again.

Glad your ok, OP.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I legit choked on water once.

I was watching a stream and something made me laugh really hard while I was taking a sip, and next thing I know I'm coughing like crazy, my throat got tight and it felt like I couldn't breathe in. It took what felt like way too long before my breathing returned to normal. I was this close to running to get help from my parents, who were sleeping at the time.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Scary shit op. I almost choked to death on a piece of cantaloupe years ago. Scariest feeling ever when you feel something caught in your throat.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I almost choked on a jolly rancher in high school. was in the middle of class and people just laughed at me. I didn't know what to do so I ran out into the hallway with people just staring at me. I ran to the water fountain thinking idk somehow drinking would help. Didn't of course. I was starting to panic and then the jolly rancher just like... burped out of my esophagus. Thank fucking god. Everyone just looked at me like I had 3 heads and was a weirdo.

Oct 27, 2017
When I was a sophomore in high school I choked on a piece of candy while I was alone at home. I couldn't get it out and tried a few things and still couldn't get it or breathe. I end up giving up and sat down and accepted my death. I imagined my parents coming home and finding my body. Then it passed through and I swallowed it. Scariest moment of my life.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I almost choked to death on a spherical piece of cheap hard candy. I was sitting in the backseat of a car in motion maybe 5 years ago. Somehow I managed to dislodge and then swallow it, though swallowing it was tough too since it was about the size of one of those rubber bouncy balls and left everything scratched up (because hard candy can have sharp edges when it disolves and reveal air pockets) and sore.

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
Choked on a piece of melted cheese once. It wouldn't dislodge and some asshole kept hitting my back like that was going to do anything. Finally decided "fuck it" and shoved my hand down my throat to pull the huge string of cheese out. Felt pretty badass for a 12 year old lol.

I still eat melted cheese though...so good.

Also aren't they kind of moving away from the Heimlech manuver in American first aid? I remember that part of my first aid class but not the replacement at the moment...but I'm drunk right now lol. I mostly paid attention to the CPR part anyway. Gonna remember that image that's been posted in here for if I'm ever alone though.

OP
OP
maxxpower

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
So yesterday and today my throat and esophagus have been pretty damn sore, like it hurts like hell to swallow. I'm guessing this is normal?

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Something similar happened to me when I was eating some naan bread. Shovelled too much into my gob and started choking. I was on my own so had to get up and start banging my chest against the edge of the kitchen sink. Manged to dislodge it fairly quickly but fuck me what a scary 20 seconds or so. That is one way I don't want to leave this world.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017

23222.jpg

i remember watch this scene on American Dad when Stan told his daughter to do it herself when she was choking

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I almost choked on tuna years ago. I was home by myself kept ramming my upper gut into the side of the counter trying to get it out until it came up. I've had choking issues for a while actually. Tuna (canned) and steak were the typical culprits. Maybe choking is the wrong word. It just gets stuck. The choking comes when I used to try to wash it down and the water would just pool up and block my trachea. I learned not to do that. I once had to be put under to have something pulled out. Spent the entire morning that day trying to get it to go down and dry heaving because where it stopped was setting off my gag reflex.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Glad you're okay! A similar thing happened to me once, and it's mind blowing how quickly you go into panic mode.
It really is. A year or so ago I had a major allergic reaction and went to intensive care. While I was waiting my throat began to swell. While I never really had a hard time breathing, it got my attention REAL QUICK and I had to fight really hard to not panic. If I had actually begun to struggle to breath, I don't think I could have controlled the panic. It's amazing how this thing that you literally do every couple of moments, without ever thinking about it, when it gets interrupted you're brain goes instantly into "OH SHIT" mode.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About a decade ago, I accidentally swallowed a huge potato chip that just wouldn't be crushed. It went down my throat sideways, cutting the whole way down.

Eventually I got it through with water and hyperventilating.

I also got a hot dog stuck in my throat when I was like 5. It burned my throat so bad I sounded like Donald Duck after.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid I was in one of those floatie things at a water park during a family reunion, a older cousin brought mencloser tonthe deepernparts of the pool, when the wave system thing activated, which was new to me at the time, the floatie got flipped upside down with me still stuck in it I was drowning and it suuuucckkkked, thankfully another cousin rescued me.

I also suffer from GERD due to acid reflex disease ans every once in a while I wake up choking on my own acid, its never did me in but it feels like it gets real close sometimes

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
Never happened.

edit: I remember a couple of years ago waking up in the middle of the night choking with a mouthful of blood after having a wisdom tooth removed. That kinda shook me.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
Anyone else nearly choke to death too? I wouldn't recommend it.

Earlier this year I got a pharyngitis. Nothing strange with it, but as it healed, it was replaced by something a little more serious. I would sometimes sneeze pretty hard, maybe once a day on average, and right after, my trachea would be obtured. I had to angle my head upward and to the side to be able to inhale air, with a whistling sound. And it would slowly come back to normal in a minute or so. The doctor I went to found nothing.

There was also that time when I was a kid, playing in a pool with a friend who decided that an underwater leglock on my neck was a good idea. Got out just barely in time with an instant, massive headache, and punched him.