• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'onow Pa Kent's characterization makes no sense. "You must never help people. Let those kids die on the bus." "You are going to change the world, Clark." "Stay a farmer" make up your mind, will you?

But then the tornado and they STUPIDLY lock the dog in the car, I remember groaning in the theater. So they go to get the dog.

Pa Kent: I'm going to get the dog.
Clark: Are you sure you don't want me to? I could do it in a second.
Pa Kent: YOU'LL DO NO SUCH THING.
Clark: Ok, I'm going to save you.
Pa Kent: NO!
Clark: look I can move you somewhere else and we can just pretend you got blown away.
Pa Kent: Yeah, don't do that.
Clark: Look, we can probably preserve my secret and have you not die.
Pa Kent: Don't sass me, boy!
Clark: I'm not sassing you, I'm just saying we can save your life and-
Pa Kent: Too late, I'm dead.
Clark: oh, well that's unfortunate. What do you think space dad?
Joe-El: I'm a hologram, what makes you think I care?

What a dumb movie.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WB not firing Snyder after this crap will go down in history as one of the dumbest decisions in movie history.

NO ONE asked for sociopath Superman.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
No amount of time passed is going to do that dumb scene any favours. It was stupid from the day it was born and on.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Should have posted the GIF.

488.gif

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Worst superhero movie I've ever seen.

I actually stopped watching when it turned into an alien invasion flick to watch the rest the next day so I could digest the stupidity.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe screening rooms full of producers, executives, directors, writers, management, more executives, their value likely in the millions at that given moment, all let that through without a question.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I can't believe screening rooms full of producers, executives, directors, writers, management, more executives, their value likely in the millions at that given moment, all let that through without a question.

It goes to show much they delegate and put blind trust in fast talking spinsters.

Zack Snyder's career is a monument to how for networking and selling yourself is more important than your actual work.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend and I rewatched this recently. The first hour was actually surprisingly decent, with great casting, a fresh take on Krypton and some good Smallville scenes...but you get to the infamous tornado scene, and then there is the subsequent hour of drudgery and mindless action. I think it's literally the half way point, splitting the film into being half pretty good half bad.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Clark I can't have you reveal your secret to all 0 of the people paying attention to us because there's a DAMN TORNADO 30 FEET AWAY"

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I can believe it. These are the same morons that supposedly gave BvS a standing ovation after its first screening, after all...

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Execution was bad, but he was trying to tell him to put himself before others. He becomes Superman because he doesnt listen to his foster parents which is different take than Ma and Pa sewing his costume on the kitchen table.

And for not listening to his parents he makes enemies around the globe, and one of them murders him. So in a way they were right to tell him to avoid the hero stuff because it literally got him killed.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I much prefer how Superman '78 handled Pa Kent's death...an unceremonious heart attack, teaching Clark that for all his cosmic powers, there are some things he can't fix. All the CGI spectacle in the world couldn't compare to the emotional simplicity of that original scene.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
When I think about that movie or it comes in discussion I never, ever see the Krypton parts in my head unless they specifically get brought up. It's a defense mechanism that my brain created because as bad as a lot of things in that movie were, like the tornado scene, the Krypton scenes just bored me near death. The whole movie came to a halt for me during them.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair Suicide Squad made me forget about it. Compared to "try not to get killed by her" and "sewer scuttle peace out crocodile" that tornado scene was a masterclass in subtlety and logic.

I just rolled with it. His dad felt that super's and his family's and the world's safety depended on supes remaining hidden - and to be fair a superpowered alien revealing himself would have had global and local implications and destroyed their lives. Further -at that point isn't supes still trying to figure out what his powers are? Like did he know for sure he could run into a tornado, lift a car, rescue his dad and zip back to safety without vaporozing both of them with the physics of it all? I don't remember so that's a legit question - and of course the movie doesn't bother asking it or setting up a more binary perilous choice (like his mom or a baby - his dad pointing desperately to an about to die baby could have been shown at superspeed and maintained logical consistency and coherency...) but in the end I liked General Zod, joy of flight, superman being low key secret hero - enough to get over that scene.

The problem with the scene is less the logic of his dad's insistence but on the glaring ease with which the audience knows supes could have done it - and sorry doggo but hardly anyone is doing the Dad/dog calculation either.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
I said it the day I saw it. If they can't get Pa Kent right, they ain't getting shit else right. Clark IS his Dad. If Snyder thinks John Kent is just going to randomly suicide because of "...reasons?" then he would definitely put something as dumb as this shit in the next film.

latest

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
It was the point that I realized the movie wasn't going to get better. I was fucking hyped for this movie. That trailer is still one of the best superhero trailers of all fucking time IDC that shit was HYPE.

Then Im watching this fucking movie man, and when this scene happened I realized it was just... not going to deliver. I was so disappointed.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (48 hours): Insulting other users, history of similar behavior.
WB not firing Snyder after this crap will go down in history as one of the dumbest decisions in movie history.

NO ONE asked for sociopath Superman.
See here Era? Dumbass posts like these are why WB didn't take MOS criticisms to heart.

A sociopath? Like have you taken any basic high school psychology course

Like if you're being serious and not being a stupid troll you don't deserve to have any opinion on characters or movies taken seriously

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
This is what happens when you let Snyder run wild unchecked.

At least they eventually learned their lesson and booted his hack ass

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
See here Era? Dumbass posts like these are why WB didn't take MOS criticisms to heart.

A sociopath? Like have you taken any basic high school psychology course

Like if you're being serious and not being a stupid troll you don't deserve to have any opinion on characters or movies taken seriously

Someone's butthurt

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I mean this is what happens when you give the man who made the 21st century version of Birth of a Nation the keys to a beloved Superhero.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In a way, it was a mercy killing. Pa Kent in MoS was probably one of the worst incarnations of the character I've seen and was totally devoid of the actual underlying theme of his relation with Clark/Superman. He's supposed to be the moral compass. Telling him "maybe" he should've let the kids on the bus die was fucking awful.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
This is what happens when you let Snyder run wild unchecked.

At least they eventually learned their lesson and booted his hack ass

After wasting hundreds of millions of dollars, ruining the first ever film team up of Batman and Superman, and ruining the first ever appearance of the Justice League.

It's great they got rid of him but it's like firing the architect while standing in the rubble of the building after it's already collapsed.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a way, it was a mercy killing. Pa Kent in MoS was probably one of the worst incarnations of the character I've seen and was totally devoid of the actual underlying theme of his relation with Clark/Superman. He's supposed to be the moral compass. Telling him "maybe" he should've let the kids on the bus die was fucking awful.
No it wasn't. Straight up.

Pa Kent in the comics is a straight up awful character when viewed through a realistic lenses.

Let's say if Superman were black. If you were his adoptive father and you KNEW how shitty America is to black males ANd you knew your son could do god like things would you want him to go around saving people? Do you think the world would be ready for a black man with that much power?

If you're answe isn't yes, you're naive as fuck. If your answer is no, then why the fuck would you criticize pa Kent for a decision that YOU would make?

Because it's not like the comics? Fuck out of here.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Snyder's plan to have Lois die and Superman go evil?

Oct 25, 2017
The first red flags beside the dick rockets at the start for my viewing experience was Pa Kent implying Superman should just let kids die to hide his powers. Then this scene came and really cemented the fact that I was in for a really awful movie.

Course Correction should have began immediately after this film.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He never said to let those kids on the bus die, just eluded to it being complicated because of his concern over the world finding out what he is, which is a totally reasonable thing as a parent, especially one of an alien who might be taken away and experimented on.

It's insane how people still blow that specific scene out of proportion.

Regarding the death of Pa Kent, I viewed it as a learning lesson for Clark to not let something like that happen again. It was crazy for Pa Kent to take that risk to maintain Clark's secret, but people do crazier things to protect their children.