• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The digital future is upon us.

Granted I went all digital in 2013, 2015.

Sounds to me like making the game cross-gen was a mistake then.
Keep seeing this sentiment...but if it was already planned to be cross gen, why not just continue that path for the game? If it wasnt and they decided later...well...I dont know what to say.

GT7 is an interesting case. Because it seemed like they changed their minds at the last minute for that.

There's obviously a substantial work hour and capital investment on creating several different SKUs of the game. It costs Sony a ton of money to develop several versions of their game on multiple platforms.

Not to mention the impact on marketing and consumer interest when a game is announced as crossgen. From a game design & marketing perspective you're going to have to build a game that's potentially held back by 10 year old hardware. And we all remember the backlash this game (and other first part PS titles) got when they announced that it was cross-gen & not exclusively built for PS5 hardware. Those optics affect consumer interest and potential sales.
Well...according to this thread topic, it didn't affect anything...

We can all want and hope cross gen ends sooner, but as for this topic, this games' sales didnt suffer. Miles Morales sales didnt suffer, despite the PS5 version constantly being on the PSN charts vs the PS4 version showing up here n there.

That said...I too cant wait for cross gen to end tho.

Any potential sales lost are vastly outweighed by the PS4 sales.

The notion that the average consumer who was excited for this game Didn't buy this game (in the millions) because it was cross-gen, out of disappointment is such a era-bubble take it's hard to start.

That's like saying people will not buy Elden Ring, Halo, or Forza Horizon for that reason. Sure, people may be disappointed but there is zero evidence it has hurt sales, especially not pre launch enthusiasm for this game or God of War, which consistently rank high in consumer excitement.

And they probably have already remade all the costs for the PS4 version (as marking was spread with the PS5 game costs and probably added nothing). (And guess what, this game started on PS4 in development).

The only people who remember the "backlash" are the people who were holding on to their resentment in hopes that that could then turn around at launch and say, "people definitely care about this thing that has not affected any Sony or 3rd party game, because I want Sony to win arbitrary points on hardcore enthusiast bubbles".

Elden Ring will sell fine, Miles Morales has sold amazing, this games sales are great. Your argument is omitting the reality that there are not enough consoles out there for consumers to purchase this how they want. 20 million PS5's can't possibly match the sales at the current splits. The $10 price increase was genius.
Thank you.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any potential sales lost are vastly outweighed by the PS4 sales.

The notion that the average consumer who was excited for this game Didn't buy this game (in the millions) because it was cross-gen, out of disappointment is such a era-bubble take it's hard to start.

That's like saying people will not buy Elden Ring, Halo, or Forza Horizon for that reason. Sure, people may be disappointed but there is zero evidence it has hurt sales, especially not pre launch enthusiasm for this game or God of War, which consistently rank high in consumer excitement.

And they probably have already remade all the costs for the PS4 version (as marking was spread with the PS5 game costs and probably added nothing).

The only people who remember the "backlash" are the people who were holding on to their resentment in hopes that that could then turn around at launch and say "people definitely care about this thing that has not affected any Sony or 3rd party game, because I want Sony to win arbitrary point on hardcore enthusiast bubbles".

Elden Ring will sell fine, Miles Morales has sold amazing, this games sales are great. Your argument is omitting the reality that there are not enough consoles out there for consumers to purchase this how they want. 20 million PS5's can't possibly match the sales at the current splits. The $10 price increase was genius.
It's odd that on one hand, people here are stating that sales numbers are down because consumers are waiting to play the PS5 version, but on the other hand, people are stating that "it's such an Era bubble to believe that people care about cross-gen".

If the majority of consumers didn't care about cross-gen, then you'd think the majority of consumers wouldn't care to wait for the PS5 version of a game they want to play and would instead just buy it for their PS4.

And you're right, sales for Miles Morales were fantastic. So it really makes me wonder further why sales would be down on this title if not for crossgen. Is it just general lack of interest in the franchise? Bad timing releasing right before Elden Ring? Less interest because of the $70 price point?

I really don't know. I'm just speculating/trying to figure out why sales would be down on, as you said yourself, a title that was supposed to have very high consumer excitement/pre launch enthusiasm.

Oct 25, 2017

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I really thought this would outsell the first game by a decent chunk considering the amount of hype there seemed to be and the amount of marketing Sony was doing. The UK economy being in the toilet probably hasn't helped

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Looking at the PS4/PS5 split sales would be obviously higher than HZD if there were more PS5 available. It is what it is.

I'm playing on base PS4 and I don't blame people for waiting until they get a PS5, this game can be rather rough in terms of pop-in, lighting issues and image quality.

yhgtu

Sep 12, 2021
It's odd that on one hand, people here are stating that sales numbers are down because consumers are waiting to play the PS5 version, but on the other hand, people are stating that "it's such an Era bubble to believe that people care about cross-gen".

If the majority of consumers didn't care about cross-gen, then you'd think the majority of consumers wouldn't care to wait for the PS5 version of a game they want to play and would instead just buy it for their PS4.

And you're right, sales for Miles Morales were fantastic. So it really makes me wonder further why sales would be down on this title if not for crossgen. Is it just general lack of interest in the franchise? Bad timing releasing right before Elden Ring? Less interest because of the $70 price point?

I really don't know. I'm just speculating/trying to figure out why sales would be down on, as you said yourself, a title that was supposed to have very high consumer excitement/pre launch enthusiasm.

People care about cross-gen in the fact that they will wait for the PS5 version. However, there's no evidence it is harming enthusiasm for games, therefore leading to lower sales.

Sony can get some sales they otherwise wouldn't, as "low"as they might be (who would buy on the PS4 for most of these games if not for lacking a PS5), while also losing out on pretty much no PS5 sales.

And this is why sales are down, people don't want this on PS4, and pretty much everyone who wants this on PS5 will. Every-time a new PS5 drop happens, Miles Morales top the chart, yet most of those people had a PS4 before getting the PS5. People want these games on the new system, it's really that simple.

If I had a PS4 still and was waiting for a PS5, I wouldn't have bought any Sony 1st party game since Ghost of Tsushima.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the main question is how the tail is going to look. When new PS5 drops happen, are a bunch of people gonna pick up Horizon or will Miles Morales remain the favorite pick. Or will people just do both?

In the end, I expect Forbidden West to have a very good result, but the first already sold 20 million, which seems to be a pretty general ceiling for Sony titles, I wouldn't expect FW to really pass it, but if it matches it, Sony has nothing to really complain about.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Yeah the main question is how the tail is going to look. When new PS5 drops happen, are a bunch of people gonna pick up Horizon or will Miles Morales remain the favorite pick. Or will people just do both?

In the end, I expect Forbidden West to have a very good result, but the first already sold 20 million, which seems to be a pretty general ceiling for Sony titles, I wouldn't expect FW to really pass it, but if it matches it, Sony has nothing to really complain about.
It'll keep selling no doubt.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
So slightly down on ZD but a smaller launch window, so pretty much flat then. Little surprised thought it would be up overall

God, imagine what the digital split is going to be by the end of this gen. Physical games are going the way of the CD album and the DVD.
Urgh don't remind me

Can't really speak for Japan but over here I'm not surprised that the digital ratio fell way short of the at least one 80:20 ratio I saw in the other thread here on Monday-
Were folk seriously predicting 80% digital? Come on.

yhgtu

Sep 12, 2021
But it released on PS4 and PS5 with many more systems sold than the first Horizon. How's that good to be down 7%?

Because PS4 sales are no longer good and combining both numbers are unhelpful in determining potential consumer bases. PS5 sales outpace PS4 sales, despite having less than 1/5th the audience. What does that say?

Consumer demand for these games are at the PS5 level, PS4 consumers do not want this.

If we just take the PS4 sales of this game, assuming an 80% install base of users still using them (since PS5 has sold about 20 million units and PS4 sold 100 million, meaning 20 million have moved on), this game would be one of the biggest flops of all time. Selling only around 25-30% of the original games sales.

Sony's first party sales potential goes wherever the current PS5 numbers are.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
There's obviously a substantial work hour and capital investment on creating several different SKUs of the game. It costs Sony a ton of money to develop several versions of their game on multiple platforms.

Not to mention the impact on marketing and consumer interest when a game is announced as crossgen. From a game design & marketing perspective you're going to have to build a game that's potentially held back by 10 year old hardware. And we all remember the backlash this game (and other first part PS titles) got when they announced that it was cross-gen & not exclusively built for PS5 hardware. Those optics affect consumer interest and potential sales.

For the record I bought it and I'm really enjoying it on my PS5. But I also won't ignore the potential shortcomings here.

the game was designed and developed for the ps4 console from the start. Did you expect them to ditch that work and make it PS5 exclusive just for the sake of it?

and all of those points regarding consumer interest is a made up era bubble.

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021

The backlash you're referring to. I've never seen it outside of hardcore gaming circles such as era. Perhaps I've missed it but here in Europe it doesn't seem to be a thing.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So slightly down on ZD but a smaller launch window, so pretty much flat then. Little surprised thought it would be up overall

Urgh don't remind me

Were folk seriously predicting 80% digital? Come on.

I mean yeah I don't know what to tell you. What I said is true, and from what I remember it was on the first page and no one sought to point out that that was absurd.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Not to mention the impact on marketing and consumer interest when a game is announced as crossgen.
I think you hugely overestimate how many consumers actually care about that.

Edit: I should clarify. Consumers don't care a game has been made crossgen, that doesn't mean they don't want to play the PS5 version.

Last edited:

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017

Sales aren't down. It's tracking higher due to a smaller launch window.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
It's likely going to be an evergreen with long legs. It'll go in and out of the top 5 dependent on the PS5 stock for that week.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Lots of spin and fudge factors you can swirl around this, but it seems like a pretty disappointing result to me.

Zero Dawn was a best seller, the biggest new IP on PS4, had the biggest launch day since UC4, and had huuuuuuuge legs. It started big and got massive, well over 20 million sales by now.

For Forbidden West to open lower, and be barely tracking ahead of the original... hard to see that as a success.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of spin and fudge factors you can swirl around this, but it seems like a pretty disappointing result to me.

Zero Dawn was a best seller, the biggest new IP on PS4, had the biggest launch day since UC4, and had huuuuuuuge legs. It started big and got massive, well over 20 million sales by now.

For Forbidden West to open lower, and be barely tracking ahead of the original... hard to see that as a success.
Facts are not spin but ok?

Oct 27, 2017
That's great. I do think 50-60ish% may be the ceiling for digital sales on consoles, even tho everyone thinks it will eventually be 100%.

Especially for horizon, you could save $20 on PS5 version day 1 in the us by buying at Walmart or price matching Walmart and then getting the free upgrade.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
That's great. I do think 50-60ish% may be the ceiling for digital sales on consoles, even tho everyone thinks it will eventually be 100%.

Especially for horizon, you could save $20 on PS5 version day 1 in the us by buying at Walmart or price matching Walmart and then getting the free upgrade.

COD on Xbox hit like 80%. I would be surprised if we don't hit 70/30 split by the end of this gen.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
COD on Xbox hit like 80%. I would be surprised if we don't hit 70/30 split by the end of this gen.

Yeah, physical media isn't going anywhere, but the digital split will keep increasing.

Even me, who likes to buy one and done games (most of what I play) physically to resell after I'm done, I'm going digital more often as that's becoming less worth it. As more people go digital it seems like eBay auctions are closing lower than I was getting in the past for a lot of games. Add in increased fees and it's often just not worth the hassle vs. just waiting for a sale on a digital version. With exceptions of things like Nintendo games that hold value better, or things I want to play day one to avoid spoilers and will beat and sell while value is still decent anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
We'll have a better, overall and fuller picture once we see the NPD results. I went and looked back at NPD from 2017 (when Zero Dawn released), and I see that Zero Dawn charted on NPD top 20 for 4 months in a row (March through June). Let's see how Forbidden West performs on NPD over the upcoming months.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018

You say yourself it's tracking ahead of a game that was a massive success and somehow it's not a success?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
It seems that even with digital factored in, about the same percentage of people paid extra money for the PS5 version, when they could have bought the PS4 version. So, that means the percentage of people actually buying with the purpose of playing on PS5 is even higher. Their silence on the free upgrade worked, I suppose.

Curious to see if HFW has the same legs as Miles Morales - one of the stickiest modern games, almost on par with some of the Nintendo games? I wonder. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Sony may have preferred to have sold more on day 1. Surely the peak was on that day, not on the following Tuesday. But at the very least it would suggest that a higher proportion of PS5 owners bought this than PS4 owners bought HZD. For whatever that's worth (probably not actually that interesting of a stat).

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really thought this would outsell the first game by a decent chunk considering the amount of hype there seemed to be and the amount of marketing Sony was doing. The UK economy being in the toilet probably hasn't helped
yes, its very easy to get sucked into the hype machine on era

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Sony have pushed Aloy hard these last couple of years and with this being cross-platform I was expecting some huge numbers…

Still hard to tell whether £70 per game has actually been a 'success' but it hasn't drastically changed anything. People always said the U.K. was extremely price conscious but it's really not.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
We will know if Sony is happy with the sales based on if they announce any numbers.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
It's likely there's a lot of PS4 players who will only play the game on PS5. We've seen the same with Miles Morales, so I expect the game to show some good legs.

If you add to that, fewer days in the market and the higher price on PS5, I'm pretty sure it's been an excellent launch for the game

I honestly hope that this game has a absolutely massive success financially.
Theres just so much love and care in this game.
Guerrilla really deserves the huge success.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
We will know if Sony is happy with the sales based on if they announce any numbers.

The sales numbers seem fine. HFW launched at the start of a gen in a console constrained market vs HZD launching in 2017 which was 3+ years in the lifespan of PS4. It will hopefully have legs and continue to sell years down the road.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely wonder if PS6 will even have discs.

Switch 2 is probably the last console with physical media.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
God, imagine what the digital split is going to be by the end of this gen. Physical games are going the way of the CD album and the DVD.
It'll be very interesting what the future holds. Personally, I was predicting the absolute earliest Sony would release a digital-only system would be mid-gen. The fact that they released a Digital Edition PS5 at launch makes me wonder what their next moves will be to trojan horse people into a digital-only ecosystem.

Tigerfan2019

Jun 14, 2020
No not really, the ps4 version existing makes no difference to the PS5 version because this is a ps4 game upgraded for ps5.
So true PS5 users get no benefit from Sony scraping the PS4 version we would still be getting the same game. Unless your willing to wait until 2023 or 2024 for this game to take more advantage of the PS5.

Oct 27, 2017
I think that the future will tell what we can make of this franchise as far as hierarchy in the pantheon of Sony franchises and its sales. As a game, it's my second favorite Sony first party franchise. I'm still not sold that the masses truly love this franchise like that. I'm of the belief currently that the true evergreens Sony has are Spiderman and God of War. Sony having premium pricing this gen means that these games won't race to the bottom price wise. Ratchet and Clank on PS4 came out at 39.99 and was 19.99 in a year plus bundles. Rift Apart still hasn't gone below 50 here in the states. Horizon Zero Dawn is the most aggressively bundled game Sony had last gen. Sony has no need to bundle this gen thus far, far more demanding than supply so zero incentive to value add.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

The irony in this post is amazing.....

yhgtu

Sep 12, 2021
Sony have pushed Aloy hard these last couple of years and with this being cross-platform I was expecting some huge numbers…

Still hard to tell whether £70 per game has actually been a 'success' but it hasn't drastically changed anything. People always said the U.K. was extremely price conscious but it's really not.

If the PS5 was at 40 million units you would have seen crazy numbers. There aren't enough consoles that people want to play this game on (PS5).

Oct 27, 2017
It's not.
PS hit 65% digital share in FY20, and has been averaging 10% growth YoY for 4 years straight now.
Well I may be proven wrong, I just can't see consumers giving up rights with physical games. I'd love to see data on the ppl who buy games like this digital, but how many physical games (especially used) do they also buy since they have the option of both? That would be hard since non new sales aren't tracked, and even if GameStop offered data it wouldn't represent everyone.