• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Console warrior gets mad about people playing video games on PCs.
But also highlights that those people who play games on their PC aren't actually PC gamers either, because they didn't buy it specifically to play console focused AAA third person games. That was their actual argument.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Honestly I do the same thing.

Any game made prior to maybe 2000, or possibly even 2005, I prefer to play at its original resolution. I don't have a Turing card (or recent AMD card) yet, but that's the main reason integer scaling interests me. If I'm playing something like System Shock or Quake or Doom on my 1080P TV, I'd much rather have a cleanly upscaled 480p (or even 240p) image than see all those old textures (and possibly bilinear filtering) in clear HD.

Basically, I think all PC games, or even just the whole OS, should give people a lot more control over what internal resolution they want independent of the output signal.
That's really cool! I hadn't heard of it before. I recently upgrade my parts and have a fairly recent AMD card so I'm interested in seeing how it works.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Accusation and Hostility Over Multiple Posts
Console warrior gets mad about people playing video games on PCs.
No body is mad and you guys keep reading the old post and not what happened afterward which is why im not replying. Why would i be mad about pc gaming. I play games on pc. Some of you are so far up your own asses i swear.

But also highlights that those people who play games on their PC aren't actually PC gamers either, because they didn't buy it specifically to play console focused AAA third person games. That was their actual argument.
Yes just ignore all context so you can make the person youre insulting sound stupider. Are you a trump supporter by chance? Because you've got the attributes.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
No body is mad and you guys keep reading the old post and not what happened afterward which is why im not replying. Why would i be mad about pc gaming. I play games on pc. Some of you are so far up your own asses i swear.

Yes just ignore all context so you can make the person youre insulting sound stupider. Are you a trump supporter by chance? Because you've got the attributes.
I'm sorry, but I'm not the one derailing this thread with offtopic and asinine arguments that have no place here. There's a new topic button if you want to discuss these things outside this thread, maybe that would be a more suitable use of your time rather than accuse me of being a trump supporter (wtf?).

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Now, I'm going to ask you this in the nicest way possible, and I want you to answer honestly and to the best of your ability. Ready?

---

What the fuck is wrong with you?

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I'm sorry, but I'm not the one derailing this thread with offtopic and asinine arguments that have no place here. There's a new topic button if you want to discuss these things outside this thread, maybe that would be a more suitable use of your time rather than accuse me of being a trump supporter (wtf?).
Now, I'm going to ask you this in the nicest way possible, and I want you to answer honestly and to the best of your ability. Ready?

---

What the fuck is wrong with you?
i tried to end this pages ago and you two insist. Stop derailing the thread. This discussion was over hours ago. What is wrong with YOU?!?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
20 years ago I played launch Everquest on my Pentium2/Voodoo3 machine.

Today I am playing Project 1999, the unofficial "vanilla" Everquest experience on an i5 and an NVIDIA 1070.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Convenience is (imo) the biggest fault of PC gaming. People bring up endless BC and mods but don't realize that a very large percentage of the general gaming community doesn't know how to do a lot of these things
Who cares?

It's a benefit for those that seek it. Not everything has to cater to a "general" audience to be valuable.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
That was my first post in this thread
That's my bad then. Nothing is wrong with me. People just got their panties in a wad over a discussion earlier that had a nice beginning middle and end. But people keep scrolling through and stopping at some mid point with no context and trying to make a new argument about it.
Who cares?

It's a benefit for those that seek it. Not everything has to cater to a "general" audience to be valuable.
I never said it did....? I'm 100% with you on that.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
great point, OP.

Not just the games either; but the peripherals too. Got a favorite controller from 15 years ago? If it has a USB socket, you can use it to play new games, today.

It's a blessing to not have to buy new controllers and equipment for a new platform just because.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That's the AMD thing right? I'm currently on an Nvidia Pascal card so I can't use it.
GPU scaling is a feature of the NVIDIA driver, and means that any input resolution should be accepted and scaled to the display's native resolution, even if your display doesn't support that resolution.
It's supposed to be higher quality with Turing cards, and those also have the option of integer scaling.

ReShade is a third-party utility that lets you apply shaders to games.

Home

ReShade - Advanced post-processing everywhere.
If I recall correctly, the config I used for Deus Ex requires both these shader packs:
github.com

GitHub - martymcmodding/qUINT: Collection of general-purpose effects for the ReShade shader injector.

Collection of general-purpose effects for the ReShade shader injector. - martymcmodding/qUINT
github.com

GitHub - Matsilagi/reshade-retroarch-shaders: Shaders ported from RetroArch to ReShade.

Shaders ported from RetroArch to ReShade. Contribute to Matsilagi/reshade-retroarch-shaders development by creating an account on GitHub.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I just realised I posted this in the wrong thread, so I'm going to copy and paste the post here!

Another thing that must be considered when talking about PC's infinite BC is that even in the very ocassional instances in where the PC version of a certain game is so bad that the console versions are somehow generally considered to be better... we can almost always play the console versions too, on our PC... so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For example, the PC version of Beyond Good & Evil is generally considered to be utter garbage. The HD PS3/360 versions are trash too, with glaring issues such as crashing when you die in certain parts of the game, which were never fixed. The best version is generally considered to be the GC version, with the original Xbox version also being good, and the PS2 version being trash as usual.

But... the GC version is also a PC version, thanks to Dolphin. When I replayed Beyond Good and Evil, I saw how terrible the PC version is, so I just ripped my GC copy and played that. On my PC. At 1080p 60 FPS, with a 16:9 fix.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I tend to take it for granted at this point. Definitely a nice feature of the platform.
Basically this.

On those terms, I kind of agree and disagree with OP. It's indeed great but that kinda sounds like saying it's great that any PS4 plays all the great PS4 games library. Like yeah it's great but that's what it's supposed to do.

Dec 15, 2017
Playing snatcher for the first time with CRT Royale filters on Retroarch. God bless PC gaming.
Secret sauce SSDs or supercharged PC architectures won't give you that.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
It's funny how so many people here still believe the narrative that console gaming is more popular, it's really not.
It heavily depends on what one considers "gaming". But even with restrictive uses of the term (like excluding Solitaire etc) they're probably more or less on equal grounds with all the "AAA F2P" out there (Fortnite, LoL, Hearthstone, etc, plus of course Overwatch, CS, Starcraft and so forth).

I make this comment as my gut feeling is that there's hyperbole on both fronts. "Console players" not seeing there's a insanely large PC scene out there, and "PC players" maybe a tad too quick at including grand-ma playing Minesweeper as a "gamer" to reinforce that "PC gaming is huge".

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It heavily depends on what one considers "gaming". But even with restrictive uses of the term (like excluding Solitaire etc) they're probably more or less on equal grounds with all the "AAA F2P" out there (Fortnite, LoL, Hearthstone, etc, plus of course Overwatch, CS, Starcraft and so forth).

I make this comment as my gut feeling is that there's hyperbole on both fronts. "Console players" not seeing there's a insanely large PC scene out there, and "PC players" maybe a tad too quick at including grand-ma playing Minesweeper as a "gamer" to reinforce that "PC gaming is huge".
Ehh not really no. There are more monthly League of Legends players than there are sold PS4s, for example. You don't need to use "grandmas playing minesweeper" to put PC as more popular.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Indeed OP, it's one of the best features. Taking any random game from history and being able to play it. Remasters are usually good, don't get me wrong, and having a development studio with access to the source code go back and rework a game for modern hardware is very useful, but you're left reliant on companies making business decisions to get that. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's a rip off or worse. (The Command and Conquer Remaster looks exceedingly good, which coming from EA is deeply shocking.)

But on PC, you're not reliant on companies making those decisions. There's usually a way to get any old game working, and there's community guides out there to help, and if you're dedicated enough you yourself could find a way to get it working (not that that's achievable for the average user.)

Like just this weekend the Dino Crisis Classic Rebirth patch came out. While RE2 and 3 are getting excellent remakes, here's the old gal fully playable on modern systems. We don't need Capcom's good will and desire for money.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Ehh not really no. There are more monthly League of Legends players than there are sold PS4s, for example. You don't need to use "grandmas playing minesweeper" to put PC as more popular.
After a quick search, you're right. 100+ million is indeed a lot. Console gaming isn't limited to PS4 though.

I don't have comprehensive numbers but as I said, "they're probably more or less on equal grounds", as when counting PS4s, X1s, Switches, 3DSes, PS3s and 360s (people still play those) you'll likely have quite a bit of monthly console players too.

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
After a quick search, you're right. 100+ million is indeed a lot. Console gaming isn't limited to PS4 though.

I don't have comprehensive numbers but as I said, "they're probably more or less on equal grounds", as when counting PS4s, X1s, Switches, 3DSes, PS3s and 360s (people still play those) you'll likely have quite a bit of monthly console players too.

There's also probably millions of console gamers that only played FIFA, CoD or Minecraft too.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
There's also probably millions of console gamers that only played FIFA, CoD or Minecraft too.
That's very much possible, but I'm not sure what you mean by that.

My point is that there are roughly speaking (please don't nitpick the numbers console warriors) 100M PS4 + 50M X1 + 50M Switch + 80M PS3 + 80M 360 + 80M 3DS (hoping I didn't forget any "recent" major console) so that's about 440 million consoles. Even if only a third are monthly active that's still ~150 million active console players.

I'm not here to count the exact numbers, I don't have a horse in this race. First I don't care. And second I play on both PC and console. So yeah it's possible there are strictly speaking more PC players than console players. My point is that I feel they're probably on the same ballpark (as long as you don't count Solitaire and such as PC games, at which point there's no debate in my mind, there are probably a billion players of those).

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
That's very much possible, but I'm not sure what you mean by that.

My point is that there are roughly speaking (please don't nitpick the numbers console warriors) 100M PS4 + 50M X1 + 50M Switch + 80M PS3 + 80M 360 + 80M 3DS (hoping I didn't forget any "recent" major console) so that's about 440 million consoles. Even if only a third are monthly active that's still ~150 million active console players.

I'm not here to count the exact numbers, I don't have a horse in this race. First I don't care. And second I play on both PC and console. So yeah it's possible there are strictly speaking more PC players than console players. My point is that I feel they're probably on the same ballpark (as long as you don't count Solitaire and such as PC games, at which point there's no debate in my mind, there are probably a billion players of those).
Even if those numbers are correct, which is a big if considering lots of people buy multiple consoles and thus would be counted twice, and I highly doubt many last gen consoles are still in use as consistent gaming machines, the League number is from only one game. Believe it or not Crossfire is more popular than LoL in terms of concurrent numbers, and I assume number of monthly players. And even more, several Dota 1 clients in China apparently have comparable or higher player numbers to LoL though I'll have to find a better source on that.

Including the global audience, i.e not just western AAA demographic, there are without a doubt more people on PC.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Even if those numbers are correct, which is a big if considering lots of people buy multiple consoles and thus would be counted twice, and I highly doubt many last gen consoles are still in use as consistent gaming machines, the League number is from only one game.
You're right, but the same reasoning can be held for PC games. There's a fair chance a large portion of LoL players play PUBG from time to time and vice versa.

If you have hard numbers I'll gladly accept them, but my gut feeling is that those numbers are probably in the same ballpark, even if yes it's possible in the end there are more PC players because well one number will necessarily be higher than the other (the probability of them being strictly equal is basically zero, going by straight statistics rules).

Edit: After a quick search (and granted those numbers are correct) it appears there are around 100m PSN monthly active users and 60m XBL monthly active users. That's at least (offline players are not counted) 160m active console players on the two main brands.

Edit 2: Technically there's to be an overlap between the two but I don't know how I could assess this number.

Last edited:

_Garret_

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2020
User Banned (1 day): Platform warring
But why are we putting 6 platforms under "console" ? switch, 3ds, ps3,4, xbox 360 and one are all forming the paltform called console ? At the best of times, xbox and ps fans hate eatch other to hell and back. When PC comes in discussion they're the best of palls and every platform under the sun becomes one against PC, huh ? :))

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Let me reiterate:

www.statista.com

Global PC gamers by age 2020 | Statista

The statistic presents the number of active PC gamers worldwide in 2020.

According to Statista, which seems to be a reliable aggregator of data, over a 2 year study, they've identified that over a billion people play games on PC. They provide sources but I'm not interested in paying for it to check it out. PC provides a democratized environment for games - since it is not tied to one manufacturer or provider, people can build PCs on the cheap and play free (not just f2p but actually free) and affordable games. In huge markets like China, Russia, India etc PC gaming is very prominent, both because of the cost of consoles but also the lack of marketing/legal presence of those consoles. Growing up in the middle east, consoles were always unavailable or inaccessible to me, whereas PCs were. I built my own PC when I was a kid by scouring flea markets and second hand electronics stores for parts. Microsoft consoles were not available in my country because they did not have distribution. Playstations were available through luxury importers but they were obscenely expensive. With PC, I could build something that was in my budget and play the endless free flash games, f2p MMOs, abandonware, shareware and free indie games from the pre-indie boom. Consoles are a luxury good of the privileged world. I mean, a PC is a luxury too, but you are much more likely to have a PC at home for the purposes of work that can also play some games. Throughout the years consoles have become more affordable and available, but in many places a console is still not an affordable option whereas you can build a PC affordably. Not everyone wants to or can play the latest big budget games, and PC provides a place for people to find something to play that is not tied to a subscription that is still affordable. And those games are just as valid as any other game, and the people who play them are just as valid.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I found this (from what happens to be the same site) :
www.statista.com

Global console/PC gamers by age 2020 | Statista

The statistic presents the number of active console and PC gamers worldwide in 2020.

I'm not sure what to make of these numbers without going into the details of their compilation, but I can safely say the figure of 600+ million console players seems like an insanely high number, given it's basically the total amount of home consoles sold since forever if I'm not mistaken. So I'd take those numbers with a grain of salt.

I mean maybe there's a huge Chinese "unofficial" console market that goes under the radar, or maybe everyone still play their GameBoys and DSes, or maybe these numbers are very questionable.

But according to this site, there are about twice as many PC players yes. That's more than I imagined, but that's still A LOT of console players.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
On topic, this is so great for playing AAA games that are a few years old. I am finally going through Far Cry 4 now and I can max it out completely and get a pretty solid 60fps. It just feels so much better at higher framerates with a mouse and keyboard. One of the main reasons I don't like the Far Cry games on console is because they feel kinda sluggish to me considering I suck with controller.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Breath of the Wild at a locked 30fps but rendered at 1080 is like, a fucking new game to me even after 200 hours.

It just looks so nice. 😭 Makes it so much easier to hold off on hardware iterations until Pro revisions release, when there's just a constant perfection and modification scene going on in PC land.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Playing Breath of the Wild at a locked 30fps but rendered at 1080 is like, a fucking new game to me even after 200 hours.

It just looks so nice. 😭 Makes it so much easier to hold off on hardware iterations until Pro revisions release, when there's just a constant perfection and modification scene going on in PC land.

I recently played through it at 60fps 21:9 3440x1440 and it was so, so much better than my Wii U version. Except for the gyro shrines. Those were a nightmare lol

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recently played through it at 60fps 21:9 3440x1440 and it was so, so much better than my Wii U version. Except for the gyro shrines. Those were a nightmare lol
I too only played it on the WiiU and it's like, a fucking revelation to me all over again. Truly the Miyazaki lost civilization Zelda I always, always wanted.

Fuck those gyro shrines to hell, forever. Hated them with a gamepad, can't even imagine them emulated. 😆

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I just realised I posted this in the wrong thread, so I'm going to copy and paste the post here!

Another thing that must be considered when talking about PC's infinite BC is that even in the very ocassional instances in where the PC version of a certain game is so bad that the console versions are somehow generally considered to be better... we can almost always play the console versions too, on our PC... so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For example, the PC version of Beyond Good & Evil is generally considered to be utter garbage. The HD PS3/360 versions are trash too, with glaring issues such as crashing when you die in certain parts of the game, which were never fixed. The best version is generally considered to be the GC version, with the original Xbox version also being good, and the PS2 version being trash as usual.

But... the GC version is also a PC version, thanks to Dolphin. When I replayed Beyond Good and Evil, I saw how terrible the PC version is, so I just ripped my GC copy and played that. On my PC. At 1080p 60 FPS, with a 16:9 fix.
Yeah Resident Evil 4 is the best example of this, everyone just played it on Dolphin, what a shit port.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Everybody gushes at the mod support for games but BC is where PC gaming's true charm lies, imo.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yeah Resident Evil 4 is the best example of this, everyone just played it on Dolphin, what a shit port.
That was true with the old PC port, but the new one is fantastic. Nowadays I just play the new PC port with the 60 FPS option enabled. I do wish there was a good way to play it with a GameCube controller :( (You can, but the mappings end up working very differently when compared to the GameCube version, and if you try to use Steam Input to set the bindings in a way that makes the gameplay controls identical, you mess up the QTEs because it will ask you to press the wrong buttons)

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
20 years ago I played launch Everquest on my Pentium2/Voodoo3 machine.

Today I am playing Project 1999, the unofficial "vanilla" Everquest experience on an i5 and an NVIDIA 1070.

I was thinking about this the other day but instead with Dark Age of Camelot in like 2001 and playing it today on the Phoenix Freeshard in 2020.

It really is amazing that you can do this. Taken for granted even at times. Makes me wish back old favorites I've lost along the years like Pangya Golf.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about this the other day but instead with Dark Age of Camelot in like 2001 and playing it today on the Phoenix Freeshard in 2020.

It really is amazing that you can do this. Taken for granted even at times. Makes me wish back old favorites I've lost along the years like Pangya Golf.

That's cool. I played DAoC back in the day. I don't think I want to go back to that one though. I was Albion and we almost never held any relics. Hibernia had all three magic and Midgard had all three strength.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
It is nice. Just last week I was playing a game that came out almost 30 years ago, Darklands, and then switched to a modded version of Final Fantasy 7. Toss in that fact that anyone can develop a game on the PC and you get an endless supply of games. I don't envy the people trying to compete in that market, but for me it is amazing.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Speaking of, what's the best way to play Windows 95 games these days? I'd love to boot up one of those old Game Empire discs I see are up on Archive.org.
DGVoodoo 2 generally solves the vast majority of compatibility issues with early DX games, otherwise there's usually per game fixes. Then there's PCem, but I've never had to use it.

Try running the original Zoo Tycoon on Windows 10. Some things never change.
I did about a year ago and didn't have any issues at all. I didn't even need to install any fixes, the built in Windows compatibility mode was enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
On topic, this is so great for playing AAA games that are a few years old. I am finally going through Far Cry 4 now and I can max it out completely and get a pretty solid 60fps. It just feels so much better at higher framerates with a mouse and keyboard. One of the main reasons I don't like the Far Cry games on console is because they feel kinda sluggish to me considering I suck with controller.

FC games definitely feel bad at 30fps, worse than usual for me. I was playing Blood Dragon at 4k60 yesterday andit's amazing, too bad the audio mixing in that game is kinda broken.