• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
California legislation to allow student-athletes to make money from their sport will face another hurdle tomorrow, but there could be an even bigger hurdle ahead.

The president of the NCAA is threatening retaliation if the bill passes.
Student-athletes at Sacramento State and other California universities put in hours of work for their sport but don't get paid. Now, it's possible they could face an outright ban from some competitions.

The NCAA reportedly brought in more than a billion dollars in the 2016-17 fiscal year, but student-athletes did get any of it. The California Fair Pay to Play Act would give athletes an opportunity to earn money. But if the bill becomes law, California universities could be barred from NCAA events.
"I think it's a direct threat to California to say that these schools and these athletes will be punished in some way if we take this position," said California Senator Steven Bradford.

Bradford co-authored the bill with senator Nancy Skinner.
"The NCAA and colleges and universities pocket billions of dollars a year from TV and corporate sponsorships, while student-athletes are blocked from receiving income for their talent and hard work. So, it's not surprising that the NCAA would be worried about legislation that seeks to change the status quo."

Bradford compared student-athletes to students using their talents for other endeavors.
The bill, SB206, would not allow direct payments, but athletes would be able to hire agents and receive compensation for the use of their image, name or likeness.

One report indicates more than 80% of students on full scholarships live at or below the federal poverty level.

"So if there's an opportunity for them to benefit in some way to provide some means down the road, I think this is a great opportunity to do so," said Bradford.
More reasons why the NCAA is a complete and utter dumpster fire.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NCAA going to ban one of the best states in the country for both football, baseball, softball, and basketball? LOL that'll never happen. The state of California makes enormous bank for the NCAA.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
"The bill, SB206, would not allow direct payments, but athletes would be able to hire agents and receive compensation for the use of their image, name or likeness."

i keep feeling this is such a big part of the opportunity and fairness the college players deserve. yes scholarships and free ride for all, all sports. The big separator is their ability to profit off their own name in some way, because they are so good at what they do. they deserve that these days in light of the profits ncaa makes

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I get the issue of not wanting direct payment to players. That would be a death sentence for the NCAA and organized college sports.

But all this does is allow players to monetize their likeness, which they should absolutely be able to do. NCAA is wrong here.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
California is big enough where they could just make their own collegiate athletic association, and if they're allowing athletes to get money then it'll be an even more lucrative than NCAA.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
NCAA going to ban one of the best states in the country for both football, baseball, softball, and basketball? LOL that'll never happen. The state of California makes enormous bank for the NCAA.

I always kinda figured California would lag well behind that sweet SEC money even if USC is massive.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Living in CA, it feels great to be on the bleeding edge of progressivism on so many things. Call their bluff.

Deleted member 57378

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Watch them bend the knee for the NCAA. Democratic senators and Governor? Yeah they will roll over, they recived the slightest pushback.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
NCAA can fuck off. The bill doesn't even pay them for playing, just lets them do signings and sponsorships if I'm reading right.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always kinda figured California would lag well behind that sweet SEC money even if USC is massive.

The NCAA doesn't make hardly any money off of college football. The way things work, thanks to a landmark case in the 1980's, the NCAA's money making sports are Softball and Basketball. The SEC, funnily enough, is not very valuable to the NCAA.

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine how much of an utter scumbag shithead you'd have to be to try and take down athletes for using their own likeness while pocketing billions for yourself

Last edited:

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
The bill, SB206, would not allow direct payments, but athletes would be able to hire agents and receive compensation for the use of their image, name or likeness.

Fuck off, NCAA. This is literally the perfect solution

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine how much an utter scumbag shithead you'd have to be to try and take down athletes using their own likeness while pocketing billions yourself

I have no love for the dude at all, but I thought it was pretty bullshit how Johnny Manziel got into trouble for just this. He was suspended the first half of the first game of his final season (a slap on the wrist, but still bullshit) for selling autographs. Literally monetizing his name. That's supreme bullshit that you can't make money off of your own likeness until you leave the NCAA grasp. It should be outright illegal.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The NCAA has no ground to stand on here, California is far too important to them to go through with this. This is a great sign and shows how weak their position is

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck the NCAA, and I hope this catches on nationwide.

Here in the state of Texas, star QB Sam Ehlinger got a ton of shit for asking for just this earlier this summer. Houston sports talk radio sucked for a while because they laid on him hard. Really shitty atmosphere here about how college kids are being paid in *exposure!~~*

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
NCAA going to end up getting murked. Yes let's lock out the largest state in the union over a common sense evolution in player compensation.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Maybe if you allow players to manage their brand and have some money before they enter the big leagues it might make it easier for them to make responsible choices.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017

California athletes are good at basketball. California universities haven't been particularly relevant in basketball since the mid 2000s.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Here in the state of Texas, star QB Sam Ehlinger got a ton of shit for asking for just this earlier this summer. Houston sports talk radio sucked for a while because they laid on him hard. Really shitty atmosphere here about how college kids are being paid in *exposure!~~*
Was on a break from radio during that time so I gotta ask. How many hosts wouldn't shut up about "tHe loVe oF ThE GAmE".

Oct 27, 2017
I read this yesterday and enjoyed how the NCAA's response was "whoa whoa hold on we're working on something just give us some time" and it's like dude you've had plenty of time.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017

And coincidentally, the two best ratings for the Pac-10 finals since they moved from CBS featured zero California teams:

The Oregon-Washington Pac-12 Tournament final had a 1.2 rating and 1.99 million viewers on ESPN Saturday night, up 243% in ratings and 225% in viewership from last year on FS1 (Arizona-USC: 0.35, 612K), but flat and down 4% respectively from 2017 on ESPN (Arizona-Oregon: 1.2, 2.08M).

The Ducks' win was the second-most watched Pac-12 final since 2012, the last year it aired on CBS (Colorado-Arizona: 2.10M).

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And coincidentally, the two best ratings for the Pac-10 finals since they moved from CBS featured zero California teams:

I'm looking for it right now, but there was a graphic breakdown in an article about viewership demographics by area when that title game came out that showed that even if the game didn't feature california teams, the vast majority of the viewership still came from california the state. I'm unable to find the graphic at the moment, though. The gist of the article in question was about how much California was worth to college sports in general, if you want to try looking for it as well.

the bottom line is the NCAA makes a ton of money from the state of california. No way they'll turn their back on it. California, Texas, and Florida, those three states own the NCAA.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad more and more people are basically saying fuck the NCAA. I'm also glad the NCAA has stayed away from collegiate esports as their involvement would just kill that part of industry.

Call their bluff California

Edit: something I saw just now on Twitter:

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
lol if they did that, the NCAA would disband. California would still play football, and there is too much money for other schools not to play them.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Do it, I want to see Pac 12 squirm and fuck the NCAA for not paying players. It's why NBA is undoing the LeBron rule this year because NCAA won't pay them for shit.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was all about how nobody would even be listening to him if he wasn't QB at Texas, which was supposed to prove that he was being paid in exposure or some shit.
No one would be listening to them if they weren't at their radio station. They're being paid in exposure as well, I guess they can save their boss some money and give up their salary

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The NCAA needs California more than they need the NCAA.

The loss of revenue from USC alone would be devastating