• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A North Carolina woman who lied to get a coronavirus relief loan spent the money on shopping excursions to Nieman Marcus, Nordstrom, Louis Vuitton and diamond stores, federal prosecutors said.

Jasmine Johnnae Clifton, 24, appeared in court Monday and was later released on $25,000 bond, according to a press release from the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Western District of North Carolina.

The loan application was approved in early August and Clifton received $149,900, which she later spent at over two dozen retailers, also shopping at Ikea and Rooms to Go, the release said.

abcnews.go.com

Release: NC woman went shopping with $150K virus relief loan

Federal prosecutors say a North Carolina woman lied to get nearly $150,000 in coronavirus relief that she later spent on shopping sprees

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the official release:

Clifton was released on bond following today's court appearance. The charge of wire fraud in relation to disaster benefit carries a maximum prison term of 30 years and a $1,000,000 fine. The maximum penalty for fraud in connection with major disaster or emergency benefits is 30 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Doesn't sound like she has enough leftover to cover the fine.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
it was a loan though...

she would have eventually had to pay it back... what was the plan here?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The bigger issue is she lied about her business. It was closed since 2019 and she still applied.

Right, that and her shopping spree are inexcusable. I was mainly addressing the "why did she do that if she had to pay it back" thing.

But it would probably be really difficult for her to meet whatever the requirements were for keeping the money without actually owning a business.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the small business loans didn't need to be paid back? Or did she get something different?

You have to apply to get them forgiven. You have to sign off that everything you say is true. Presumably she was lying. When you lie to the government you usually open yourself up for liability.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
For everyone wondering what really screwed her it was the flippant spending. It was lying about a business that was no longer running.

The release said Clifton applied in March for a Small Business Administration loan designed to provide relief to existing businesses harmed by pandemic shutdowns. She created false documents claiming $350,000 in gross revenue in 12 months for her online clothing business, Jazzy Jas, even though other paperwork filed in early 2020 showed the company was effectively dissolved in September 2019, it said.

The loan application was approved in early August and Clifton received $149,900, which she later spent at over two dozen retailers, also shopping at Ikea and Rooms to Go, the release said.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The real crime here is... who the heck was overseeing who got the loans in the first place?

Oct 27, 2017
Hope she enjoys whatever consequences she gets. All to go on a frivolous shopping spree. What an idiot

The real crime here is... who the heck was overseeing who got the loans in the first place?
It did say she created false documents and considering she actually had a business at one point, I don't doubt she knew what they were supposed to look like and how to make them look convincing

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably happened many times over with other business owners as well. They're just not as dumb as this one.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Heck, I probably could have done this with my LLC. However, I wouldn't have gone on a spending spree 🤣 🤦‍♂️ .

Meanwhile the already rich are pocketing a ton of this money and just carrying on with their lives.

Rukes

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
There seems to be a lot of confusion on the loan.

A PPP loan is a small one covering payroll and some business expenses and can be forgiven.

A EIDL loan, which is what this is, a large loan (which is usually half of your 2019 gross income) with a low interest rate 30 year repayment plan.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
There seems to be a lot of confusion on the loan.

A PPP loan is a small one covering payroll and some business expenses and can be forgiven.

A EIDL loan, which is what this is, a large loan (which is usually half of your 2019 gross income) with a low interest rate 30 year repayment plan.
Are there rules on what can you spend the money on?

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heck, I probably could have done this with my LLC. However, I wouldn't have gone on a spending spree 🤣 🤦‍♂️ .

Meanwhile the already rich are pocketing a ton of this money and just carrying on with their lives.

I successfully completed two PPP and applied for the EIDL and it wasn't too vulnerable. While it wasn't perfect, there are numerous checks to ensure the money isn't just getting tossed at personal shit on the back end. She was extra dumb and I mean like REALLY dumb.

Funniest part is she overstated and falsified $350k revenue, which probably showed up in a cursory audit against her tax records. Effectively she set herself up for a huge tax penalty because she probably paid a lot less than that in taxes. She was literally incriminating herself for a different crime with her plan.

You better belief the wraparound of 2020 business tax season will net more of these shitty folks.