• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 29, 2018
So they're gonnatake parks and rec AND the office, after 30 rock and always sunny have left netflix?!

Fuck all of this, I'm just going to torrent the shit out of my favorite shows, fuck these greedy ass companies and this exclusive streaming bullshit. Fuck offffffff.

Yeah fuck paying for stuff. /s

I still think the problem of multiple streaming services is completely overstated. The idea that anyone would prefer going back to cable is baffling to me.

Plus, the only reason all these rad shows keep getting announced is because every studio wants a slice of this pie. This embarrassment of riches is totally worth a minute to deactivate one sub and reactivate another every two months.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
So based on the article, it sounds like Cheers, Frasier, and Wings (aka the Frasier Crane Cinematic Universe) will eventually be exclusive to this service. I thought CBS controlled those (since they're on All Access right now), but I guess NBC does since they aired it (Paramount produced them). Of course, they're on everything right now, but that'll change eventually.

I think this lineup looks decent but it's probably not enough for me to choose it over anything else. Disney + Netflix still seems to be the best combo for me without spending too much. Eventually I need to gather up DVDs or digital copies for some of the shows I want full access to though.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I still think the problem of multiple streaming services is completely overstated. The idea that anyone would prefer going back to cable is baffling to me.

Plus, the only reason all these rad shows keep getting announced is because every studio wants a slice of this pie. This embarrassment of riches is totally worth a minute to deactivate one sub and reactivate another every two months.
People are explaining to you why they'd prefer cable and you're just dismissing it as not real concerns.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
1 more streaming service added and there is no savings to having cut cable.

Apple TV+, Netflix, NBCUniversal, Disney+Hulu, Amazon Prime, and HBO.

If you add in sports streaming, there really isn't a deal anymore.

I'm currently at Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crave (HBO in Canada essentially + Showtime/Canadian shows), and DAZN (Sunday ticket essentially + soccer). I plan to get Apple TV+ and Disney+. That makes it about $80~ a month. That's same cost as cable.
The difference between this and cable is you don't have to have all this. Do you watch all of this everyday? No? Cancel all the stuff you don't watch on a day-day/week-week basis and grab a month when there is enough content to justify the price. Or, if you have friends/family who have X want Y share. I do Hulu/Netflix my sister does Prime/HBO i do MLB.tv my friend does the NBA tv thing and he's doing Apple.TV and im doing Disney+

Oct 29, 2017

I already pay 9 dollars a month. I dont plan on spending any more to watch the shows I already have been for years.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I didn't realize Esmail was doing the Battlestar Galactica show.

That's an interesting draw

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm I have all these cable channels I dont watch...I'll cancel and get Netflix and Hulu.

Hmmm I have all these subscription services with content I don't watch...

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1 more streaming service added and there is no savings to having cut cable.

Apple TV+, Netflix, NBCUniversal, Disney+Hulu, Amazon Prime, and HBO.

If you add in sports streaming, there really isn't a deal anymore.

I'm currently at Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crave (HBO in Canada essentially + Showtime/Canadian shows), and DAZN (Sunday ticket essentially + soccer). I plan to get Apple TV+ and Disney+. That makes it about $80~ a month. That's same cost as cable.

1. Cable plans are usually locked into a 12 month contract with heavy back-out fees.
2. You can customize your lineup every month as each service is only month to month.
3. Cable plans usually include equipment and other bogus fees which raise your bill.

I will take this over cable all the time. Personally, I don't need to have more than three streaming services a month, and that is pushing it. Besides, I only have so much free time.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so AP Bio was uncancelled?

Also, hopefully now we can finally get the entire run of SNL instead of just the Hulu stuff.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
This is getting ridiculous, the TV industry learned nothing from Spotify which killed music piracy and got big because it became easier to just pay Spotify than to pirate all your music. There is no way I'm going to be scouring all these services to try to determine what content is on which one, what's worth subscribing to and for how many months out of the year, which shows are on the horizon that I need to prepare to subscribe for, etc. I doubt many people are that invested in what's on the screen and are going to plan out their media consumption buffet style like these services ask, they just wanna pay a small fee and get a service that has most of the good stuff like Spotify.

I'll just stick to cable and whatever I can grab a login for from friends and family. I'll catch you all in 2024 when the networks realize people don't care enough about their darling TV shows to seek them out and someone reinvents Netflix

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
That name is like something from 30 Rock.

6bqu.gif

Nov 1, 2017
The early streaming days really spoiled us into thinking it's feasible for the entire entertainment industry to survive by splitting our $10 a month

Oct 27, 2017
1. Cable plans are usually locked into a 12 month contract with heavy back-out fees.
2. You can customize your lineup every month as each service is only month to month.
3. Cable plans usually include equipment and other bogus fees which raise your bill.

I will take this over cable all the time. Personally, I don't need to have more than three streaming services a month, and that is pushing it. Besides, I only have so much free time.

Also, unlike cable, you don't have to watch anything on their schedule. If you unsubscribe to a service for a few months, everything they air in the meantime will be there waiting for you when you return.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
If anything, are we taking bets which flops first?

Safe:
Netflix - Safe due to incumbency
Hulu - For now safe due to incumbency
Prime Video - Safe because it's bundled with Prime and Amazon has a fuck load of capital
Disney+ - Safe because of Disney's library
HBO Max - Safe because of WarnerMedia's library.
Apple TV+ - Safe because Apple is rich enough to eat losses for years
Peacock - Safe because of NBCUniversal library and the fact it's free to Comcast and Sky subscribers.

Questionable:
CBS All Access/Showtime/PlutoTV - Depends on what happens to ViacomCBS. Is already decently successful, but will struggle against the larger platforms
Epix - MGM is too small
Starz - Lionsgate is too small

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
That name and logo feels really dated to me.

"Peacock will also look to Universal's feature division to create TV series from its established film franchises."

Bring on Fast & Furious + Jurassic World TV series I suppose....

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Safe:
Netflix - Safe due to incumbency
Hulu - For now safe due to incumbency
Prime Video - Safe because it's bundled with Prime and Amazon has a fuck load of capital
Disney+ - Safe because of Disney's library
HBO Max - Safe because of WarnerMedia's library.
Apple TV+ - Safe because Apple is rich enough to eat losses for years
Peacock - Safe because of NBCUniversal library and the fact it's free to Comcast and Sky subscribers.

Questionable:
CBS All Access/Showtime/PlutoTV - Depends on what happens to ViacomCBS. Is already decently successful, but will struggle against the larger platforms
Epix - MGM is too small
Starz - Lionsgate is too small

Viacom has a lot of content they can fold into CBS AA

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So that's where Everybody Loves Raymond went...
It was Netflix before.

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Launching 'The Office' reboot is a goal for Peacock

NBCU recently acquired streaming rights to NBC's The Office for $500+ million, taking it away from Netflix where the series starring Carell has flourished. "The Officecomes back to us in January 2021. It is my hope that we can figure what that great reboot would be," Hammer said, adding, "We are having conversations."

An Office reboot would fit into Peacock's strategy for original scripted series, including reboots, in which "we want there to be some connective tissue to what we also have in the library," Hammer said.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I hope all the major networks own streaming services fail miserably. I'm not doing this nonsense and having 35 streaming services.

Oct 27, 2017
"Hello, cable provider? Fuck your cable! *thuglifesunglasses.
Actually before you hang up, I'm gonna need your internet service...."

Oct 27, 2017
And you don't have to subscribe to all these streaming services.

Netflix is a consistent sub for me because no other service comes close to their original programming.

Been subbed to Prime for a while now but don't watch it a ton. May swap it for HBO Max Plus or whatever it's called.

Will sub to Disney+ even though I'm underwhelmed by their original programming plans. Catalog gets me here.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017

I mean there are a ton of reasons it's not over stated in my opinion. Seen how many data breaches have been happening the past few years? Instead of having 2, maybe 3, streaming services/companies that have all your info, now you have up to 10. Just opening up additional avenues of vulnerability.

Not to mention having to have 10 on going subscriptions for you to manage. You cannot deny the convenience of having things merged into a single point of access.

That's just one avenue. But when you actually do the math, all these streaming services are going to add up to paying MORE than you would have paid for cable or satellite. Right now I pay $50 dollars a month for DirecTV, and that includes HBO and Showtime, plus 190 other channels. Does that price go up after a year? Yes, but after this year is up I can call and cancel, and they will 100% call me back and give me a cheaper offer to stay (it's what happened last year).

Meanwhile lets add up the streaming services (I'm using the options I currently have, with no commercials as on DTV you can fast forward with recording):

Netflix: $14.99
Hulu: $11.99
Amazon Prime: $8.30 (per month)
Disney +: $7.99
Peacock: $5.99 (generous guess)
Apple TV+: 4.99
CBS All Access: $9.99
HBO Now: $14.99
Showtime: $11.00

Total: $90 plus tax

This doesn't include the other streaming services that are rumored, like from time Warner. Do you have to subscribe to all these services? No, but you are now losing value in Netflix and Hulu, because very popular shows are being pulled and moved to these other services. If you enjoy those and want to keep watching? Then you'll subscribe. This is also a comparison with a current satellite TV package, and it's $40 more dollars for less channels.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If anything, torrenting is gonna go back on the rise.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How about you reboot community, bring back the entire cast and have season 4-6 being a dream sequence by abed?

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
The reality is cable is dying and this is where content is going to live. There is no reason to own a back catalog this strong and hand the rights to Hulu.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
The lengths people go to justify piracy... It's not hard to rotate the streaming services. If anything, this is just giving you more options to enjoy the content you want. You don't need to have every service at one time and can just subscribe to each one for a limited amount of time if there's something you want.

It's literally three button presses to cancel a subscription. How lazy are people these days that they can't do that? Why do people feel entitled do have everything under the same roof for one price?