• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

If HBO Max is 14.99 a Month, Will you subscribe?

• Yes

Votes: 64 18.4%
  • No

Votes: 239 68.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 45 12.9%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Is Disney's aggressive pricing driving HBO Max? Original news was that this was going to have a 16-17$ price point. Obviously this is a starting point

Talk of Tinseltown: John Stankey, the WarnerMedia chief and newly minted AT&T CEO-in-waiting, has been considering a plan to offer the HBO Max streaming service at an initial price of $14.99 a month ⁠— the same price as a regular HBO subscription, sources with knowledge of his discussions tell me.

• Stankey is also eyeing April 2020 as a potential launch date for the service, which will include programming from HBO, Turner, Warner Bros and CNN, and may eventually include sports programming, the sources said.

The big picture: By offering HBO Max at the same price as HBO, Stankey believes he can retain existing HBO subscribers and make the service more attractive to consumers who have an increasingly wide array of lower-priced subscription options, the sources said.

• Once those subscribers are in the door, Stankey would likely explore plans to raise the price incrementally over time, the sources said.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
All these subscription services gonna make most people pirate or ignore their shows.

Ridicilious

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I already pay that much for HBO Now, so I'm pretty much in.

Frankly if they're going this route, they may as well just discontinue HBO Now & roll this out for the same price.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hm...

Unless I'm remember wrong, this apparently includes live programming, so that price point probably makes more sense in hindsight if that's still the plan.

I'm leaning towards yes, but I'm unsure at the moment. Really want to make sure what the full details are. Particularly I'm wondering if I can link this to my Crunchyroll account, similar to VRV, which I already pay $10 as it is.

EDIT:

• Once those subscribers are in the door, Stankey would likely explore plans to raise the price incrementally over time, the sources said.

Oh for the love of... I'm not surprised, but still.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
What's the difference between HBO Max and HBO Now?
It sounds like "Max" is HBO Now + a bunch of stuff from Time Warner networks. I would assume that Max would replace Now, especially if it launches at the exact same price, and doesn't drop anything from the content already included in Now, which both appear to be true.
With HBO Go and HBO Now, the library of content is largely focused on HBO's originally produced TV shows and movies. But with HBO Max, you'll get all that content plus a ton of new stuff from a variety of WarnerMedia brands.

In case you're unfamiliar, WarnerMedia is just the new name for "Time Warner" — which is to say that a ton of good stuff is coming to HBO Max.

"10,000 hours of premium content from HBO, Warner Bros., New Line, DC Entertainment, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, The CW, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes and more," is promised as coming to HBO Max.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Currently I get HBO through my phone plan on AT&T so whether I get this or not really depends on that.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
They might, until they decide to raise the price of HBO Max to like 16-17..so you might want to keep HBO Now around for 15? I dunno
I see the appeal for me of just having HBO (The MAX stuff seems pretty weak, without much besides the second season of Doom Patrol) - but from Warner's perspective, they might as well just leverage the HBO audience to get more people on MAX.

Either they drop Now to $7-9 a month, or they just have a deeply confusing pair of streaming services.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I already pay that much for HBO Now, so I'm pretty much in.

Frankly if they're going this route, they may as well just discontinue HBO Now & roll this out for the same price.

I don't think they will because of this:

Once those subscribers are in the door, Stankey would likely explore plans to raise the price incrementally over time, the sources said.

Edit - Someone already made that point.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Eh if it's supposed to have way more content than HBO Now and stay the same price? I would probably do what I do now and sub for one or two months a year to catch up on everything

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
If their back catalogue runs really deep then i might get it. Im less interested in the 'originals' content that these services are offering tbh

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All these subscription services gonna make most people pirate or ignore their shows.

Ridicilious
Yep, pretty much. What could have been a way to drastically reduce piracy is just going to increase it because all of these companies are too greedy and try take more and more from a customer base that only has a finite amount of money.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
still a pretty steep price compared to other streaming services, but maybe it'll work for them, idk
It depends on the service offering. HBO max seems to be every Warner content. Warner themselves have far greater amount of content than most. Basically equal if not more than Disney as a whole. If they offer 4k, it'll be well worth it even for the original thought price I think and doesn't seem steep in particular to something like Netflix 4K tier.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yep, pretty much. What could have been a way to drastically reduce piracy is just going to increase it because all of these companies are too greedy and try take more and more from a customer base that only has a finite amount of money.

I can see that, I've seen surveys where people are saying 3 services is about their max. some of these services are going to get squeezed out.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
If their back catalogue runs really deep then i might get it. Im less interested in the 'originals' content that these services are offering tbh
Should have most if not everything that at&t has. i know once i get this, imma go on a boomerang binge.

still a pretty steep price compared to other streaming services, but maybe it'll work for them, idk

Well most places don't have all the content that warner has. It's freakin deep.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I pay that much for HBO Now so sure. Disney Plus honestly doesn't interest me outside of The Mandalorian. Like with all these services I'll probably just sub month to month depending on who has a show to binge.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
At that price it got to pull from all of Time Warner

Nov 1, 2017
All these new services are going to offer an attractive price at first to get feet in the door and then jack it up over time. Which is the only way they're gonna get any traction, so it's a smart move I guess. But we're all gonna be picking and choosing eventually and I can't even imagine how much Disney+ is gonna jack their price up after a year.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can see that, I've seen surveys where people are saying 3 services is about their max. some of these services are going to get squeezed out.
Like, let's see what I'd get (I don't have subscriptions other than Amazon Prime which automatically gets me Prime Video) if I were really interested in streaming subscriptions:

Amazon Prime Video
Netflix
WWE Network
Crunchyroll
Funimation

That's 5 services already right there, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay even more to get HBO Max, Disney+, Hulu, etc.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I'm leaning towards yes, but I'm unsure at the moment. Really want to make sure what the full details are. Particularly I'm wondering if I can link this to my Crunchyroll account, similar to VRV, which I already pay $10 as it is.
I'm also curious what form CR content will take on this new service. I have HBO Now (at that same $15 price) now, but finally dropped my CR sub because their Fire TV app is always broken.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Like, let's see what I'd get (I don't have subscriptions other than Amazon Prime which automatically gets me Prime Video) if I were really interested in streaming subscriptions:

Amazon Prime Video
Netflix
WWE Network
Crunchyroll
Funimation

That's 5 services already right there, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay even more to get HBO Max, Disney+, Hulu, etc.

Yeah, I notice some people don't consider Prime video when they count their paid subscriptions, since most people signed up with Prime due to the 2 day shipping

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017

Amazon Prime Video
Netflix
WWE Network
Crunchyroll
Funimation

think cruchy will be part of hbo max, might be a bundle or something for current subscribers.

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
My AT&T Wireless plan gives me HBO for free, I could see myself swapping over to this if HBO Max was offered.

I'm about hitting my limit on these subscription services though.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also curious what form CR content will take on this new service. I have HBO Now (at that same $15 price) now, but finally dropped my CR sub because their Fire TV app is always broken.

Same. If it'll work similar to VRV, I'm not gonna complain, because I can at least hook it into the website itself. Still, I know VRV has only a few titles they can't stream due to some agreements (forget which), so my guess it'll probably be similar to whatever isn't available on VRV, which is to say only a handful of titles.

I'll say this: I do hope that Sentai/Hidive continue their agreements, because I have a feeling VRV will probably fold when this finally launches. It'd be good exposure if they can get their stuff on HBO Max.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
So will this take over what HBONow currently is? Will new episodes of Westworld be uploaded here as they air? I'm already paying $15 per month for HBONow as it is.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
$14.99 lol No. I'll just stick with Netflix and add Disney + in November for $7, thanks.

All these competing streaming services is starting to become about as bad as multiple cable packages from the old days.