• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Every predication is essentially baseless nonsense at this point. Telling someone theyre not helping when you have no idea how theyre voting, how theyre involved with activism, etc because they dont think things will go well next year is a bullshit position regardless of how accurate their prediction is.
That's entirely untrue, and moreover, merely stating things as matter-of-fact like that depresses turnout, optimism, excitement, and hope. Those are outright fabrications they're peddling; even IF they somehow make an effort (and hoo boy I'm gonna put that at a low percentage), that rhetoric actively hurts the effort and should be called out at every opportunity.

So please, stop sticking your neck out for some bullshit, thanks.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
By the time the elections happen Biden will be 78 fucking years old, way too old.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
That'll happen with any of the top 3 tbh.

The positive is that it'll create more left leaning folk as the country endures another 4 years of 45.

Even with Warren? I really doubt that.

She doesn't have nearly the same kind of baggage that Hillary does and is doing an incredible job so far at gaining support and making her policies seem feasible.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I'm tired of looking at polls this early. Many things can change early next year. However, I will say that it's clear that Biden, Warren, and Sanders will be the only ones who could win the primary, realistically. I still think Sanders can win it. We shall see.

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
Beto please gracefully drop out and run for Senate vs Cornyn. Your enthusiasm can create a wave to finally flip Texas

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie isn't the guy. I like him but he should drop out.

Nice hot take but nah. He should drop out when polls show him either leading or right near the top in a few of the first primary states?

Not even a hot take. One of them has to bow out for the other to have a legitimate shot and obviously Warren is more popular.

Last edited:

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do the primaries work? Say Warren beats Sanders in the first few states (or vice versa). At that point the other will basically have to drop out and support the other to have any chance to beat Biden, correct?

Bernie isn't the guy. I like him but he should drop out.
Nice hot take but nah. He should drop out when polls show him either leading or right near the top in a few of the first primary states?

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Bernie is that he is polling at fucking 2% with older voters. Hate them all you want, older people actually vote. Warren is doing at least adequate among all demographics.

BanGy

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone except Julian Castro should drop out and Joaquin Castro should get in the race.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with Bernie is that he is polling at fucking 2% with older voters. Hate them all you want, older people actually vote. Warren is doing at least adequate among all demographics.

Warren is doing quite bad with black voters. Bernie is doing better with black voters than Warren is. That could spell trouble for Warren to win the primary.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Joe Biden 31% (+5)
Elizabeth Warren 25% (+6)
Bernie Sanders 14% (+1)
Pete Buttigieg 7% (no change)
Kamala Harris 5% (-8!)
Andrew Yang 4% (+2)
Amy Klobuchar 2% (+1)
Cory Booker 2% (+1)

No other candidate receives more than 1% of the vote.

If the next debate requires a minimum of 2% in polling that would be perfect. An 8 candidate stage would still be a bit crowded but much better than say......20!

(yes I'm aware the 20 candidates were split into 2 groups and debates were across 2 days)

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting increasingly pessimistic about Democrats' 2020 chances, and I'm not someone who views Trump as 10-feet tall. The guy lost the popular vote and got all the breaks last time around. The Comey letter and the electoral college saved him and he's never been popular since. A good candidate could easily beat him. But unless someone breaks out, the Democratic race is down to two not great candidates. Biden is old, undisciplined and not quick on his feet and gaffe-prone. His message is cultural and not economic in nature, it's rooted in "remember a better time when..." He suffers from what doomed Ted Kennedy and later Hillary Clinton - "Why do you want to be President?" People want an economic message that resonates and Biden doesn't have one.

Warren has an economic message, but it's readily seen as a radical one to swing voters. And that's a perception she almost wants, she's a true believer and thinks her policies are right and will carry the day. She's a caricature of the ivory-tower, east coast elite. Yeah, she has a middle-class backstory filled with struggle, but on a cultural level people don't believe that's who she is now. She's the Harvard professor turned Massachusetts Senator, it's hard to be more reflexively left-identifying than that.

I think Biden stands the better chance. He has a guttural, cultural connection to enough rust belt and midwestern voters. There's still persuadables there and a lot of them think he's with them. He can probably carry the day although I'll be constantly on edge because his raw political abilities are low. He's a great Senatorial backslapper and a backroom deal-maker, but his campaign talents are low.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
People saying a top 3 candidate should drop out is stupid. The candidates polling at 5% or less I can understand. Biden, Sanders, and Warren will be in the primary until the very end.

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone except Julian Castro should drop out and Joaquin Castro should get in the race.

53105891cf22c6626620897bad7bff14.jpg

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do the primaries work? Say Warren beats Sanders in the first few states (or vice versa). At that point the other will basically have to drop out and support the other to have any chance to beat Biden, correct?

Idk why people are afraid of the primary process. But even then , there are a dozen other people who should drop out before Bernie or Warren.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I have to mention something wonderful that has happened in this primary. I'm not sure it has ever occurred in a primary before, but I find it fascinating that Sanders and Warren have established an ironclad alliance against the moderates. Can anyone recall a primary where a similar alliance was formed before a primary began? Apparently, before the primary started, Sanders and Warren talked about having each other's backs in the debates and to not attack each other.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How does Biden keep falling upward with all his stumbles?

Also why does it seem that African Americans support him far above people like Bernie?

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Young people don't vote because morons across the country continually nominate terrible candidates. I think in the Primaries this time young people will vote for Sanders.

Young people historically never vote across all generations. They're dealing with college, cars, first kids, marriages, first jobs or career jobs, etc. and don't feel engaged in the American democratic process. Americans get one semester of US history and civics in their 11th year, and that's about it.

As much as the news media is essentially built around it, we really don't put enough emphasis on US civics in American public education.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you comfortable basing things like this on hunches?
Because I 100% believe its the only possible way we (progressives) can win. The youth have to vote in force and like never before. And I think to make that happen Sanders is the answer, although Warren may be able to pull it off as well.

People saying that Sanders should drop out is dangerous at this point. Imagine if he did suddenly. Do you think the media will then have any reason to remain nice/positive towards Warren? I do not.

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
He is millions of miles better than dumbfuck trump, but hell almost anyone is. But i prefer Warren she takes no shit.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I don't see why this is hm worthy. Primary voters are consistently older, wealthier, etc. than the general population. Also, there could be simple confusion of somebody who woks as a cashier marking white collar since 'blue collar' is coded a certain way (ie. works with your hands, factory work, construction, etc.)

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
She is struggling to draw black voters.
Everyone is except Joe Biden.
I was just laughing at your bizarre assertion in a thread that shows her having more than double Sanders' black voter support, that he's doing better than her with black voters and therefore not currently having black voter support is specifically a problem for her.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because I 100% believe its the only possible way we (progressives) can win. The youth have to vote in force and like never before. And I think to make that happen Sanders is the answer, although Warren may be able to pull it off as well.

People saying that Sanders should drop out is dangerous at this point. Imagine if he did suddenly. Do you think the media will then have any reason to remain nice/positive towards Warren? I do not.

So you think you can base it on a hunch because you really really want it to be true? Does that seem like a well founded argument to you?

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
She is struggling to draw black voters.
Everyone is except Joe Biden.
I was just laughing at your bizarre assertion in a thread that shows her having more than double Sanders' black voter support, that he's doing better than her with black voters and therefore not currently having black voter support is specifically a problem for her.

Warren has strong support from older black voters, while Sanders has strong support from younger black voters. That's how I perceive it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warren is doing quite bad with black voters. Bernie is doing better with black voters than Warren is. That could spell trouble for Warren to win the primary.
Bernie is also doing quite bad with black voters. Everyone is doing bad because Biden's polling at around 50% with them, more than double what Bernie managed against Clinton. Warren is 2nd in college-educated black voters, Bernie 2nd in non-college in previous polling summaries. Acting as though this sort of marginal difference actually matters if/when Biden's support collapses is beyond ridiculous.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you think you can base it on a hunch because you really really want it to be true? Does that seem like a well founded argument to you?
Its a trend. The youth have had better turnout recently. That will continue, and magnify. This will be the biggest election in terms of voter turnout I imagine in American history. The youth will be a part of it. Hopefully a big part of it. Again though as far as the general goes I think that will only be the case if we have an exciting nominee.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its a trend. The youth have had better turnout recently. That will continue. This will be the biggest election in terms of voter turnout I imagine in American history. The youth will be a part of it.

That isn't your claim. Your claim is that they don't vote because the candidates don't excite them and if we don't pick a candidate they like that's why they won't turn out more for them this time than they have in the past. Don't start handwaving.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie is also doing quite bad with black voters. Everyone is doing bad because Biden's polling at around 50% with them, more than double what Bernie managed against Clinton. Warren is 2nd in college-educated black voters, Bernie 2nd in non-college in previous polling summaries. Acting as though this sort of marginal difference actually matters if/when Biden's support collapses is beyond ridiculous.
I mean the poll above shows him behind Warren w/ block voters. So... pretty clear. (Although I recall most polls show Bernie doing better with black voters than this newest one). But when Biden has a 30+ lead, it's kind of hard to make gains.