• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
40% of the country are fucking morons - confirmed.

Just hope that 40% isn't in the swing states again.

Worst case scenario is a two-term president who lost the popular vote two elections in a row. Talk about a call for electoral college reform....

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
4 is too many. I mean, if 4 out of 10 would re elect him, no wonder racism is rampant throughout the country. Lord knows, we minorities have to take the high road for every racist we meet. Can't meet them at their level. We need to pass some serious racism laws asap. People are going to come out in droves in 2020 to kick this man out. This won't be like 2016.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I want him to lose as much as the rest of you.

But you should also prepare yourself for the possibility he wins.

Americans have gone crazy town. Nobody personifies crazy and stupid better than our current president.

It does make we wonder who is going to replace him and what conversations we are going to be having about politics in 4-10 years. The optimist in me is hoping it is more sane and progressive, but the realist in me is definitely afraid. It could also somehow get worse.

Exactly. The upside of the 2020 election is that there will be no surprise of Trump winning, which made the kick in the gut even worse in 2016. No one will be shocked to see this nation elect Trump because it already did, and we got to see the true nature of it as a result. And that kind of shock will get people off their butts to actually vote and not sit it out, like we saw in the 2018 election. But on the other side, Trump has rallied the racists like no one has in decades.

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4 is too many. I mean, if 4 out of 10 would re elect him, no wonder racism is rampant throughout the country. Lord knows, we minorities have to take the high road for every racist we meet. Can't meet them at their level. We need to pass some serious racism laws asap. People are going to come out in droves in 2020 to kick this man out. This won't be like 2016.

Except it wouldnt? He won by 70-80k and three states last time...those states flipped to Dems...did you not see 2018...

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
that is FAR too many...especially considering voter enthusiasm.

Support your Democratic candidates, regardless of who they end up being.

The worst part of Trump winning won't be 4 more years of Trump. It will be a signal that monstrous people can continue to win thanks to the electoral collage against the literal will of the people.

The GOP will scramble to find another Trump to shove out there and will also go into overdrive to be monsters themselves in order to keep Trump's deplorable base.

It is the prospect of America being held hostage by a minority of repugnant people who can be used to game the system and retain the presidency.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Yes. This isn't news.

Any nominee of either party will get at least 40% of the votes. That's essentially the floor.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Except it wouldnt? He won by 70-80k and three states last time...those states flipped to Dems...did you not see 2018...

Did I say that it didn't matter. Trump is a one term president. He has done too much damage to the country and there are alot of angry voters out there who are stilling on 2020 (like me). He's going to get kicked out and prosecuted by the law for everything he's done up to this point.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part of Trump winning won't be 4 more years of Trump. It will be a signal that monstrous people can continue to win thanks to the electoral collage against the literal will of the people.

The GOP will scramble to find another Trump to shove out there and will also go into overdrive to be monsters themselves in order to keep Trump's deplorable base.

It is the prospect of America being held hostage by a minority of repugnant people who can be used to game the system and retain the presidency.
This won't happen indefinitely. I think younger, more open-minded people are the future. This insane stranglehold Fox News has on the elderly who all vote Republican will soon give way to death. Sweet, sweet death.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RBG will retire, if that alone doesn't get people out to vote against another terrible nomination, the US is going to be screwed beyond repair for decades. Even more than it already is.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
This seems numerically consistent with bare minimum party-line support.
4/10 people are gonna tick the R box no matter what.

NR1

Oct 25, 2017
Dallas, TX
I was having a movie night at my house last weekend and one of my friends voted for Trump. He explained that he voted for him only because he felt he was choosing the lesser of the two evils... I asked if he still felt that way and he kind of just sat there speechless.

This is what a lot of those "swing voters" in 2016 feel like now. Duped. I still don't understand how ANYONE could be so blind to the truth:

GOP spent decades vilifying Hillary in preparation for her inevitable presidential run and Trump is an obvious con man.

It just blows me a way that these people feel that there is some sort of vast government conspiracy designed to keep Hillary, Obama, and corrupt Democrats out of jail and take down Trump and the GOP. Does it never dawn on them than maybe Hillary stays out of jail, because she hasn't actually done anything remotely as illegal and corrupt has the conservative narrative claims? If this shadow group even existed, why isn't Hillary president right now????

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
And 2 of those 10 are completely ignorant and could be swayed to trump by another Buttery Email.
Per Gallup, his favorability's never dropped below 35%. It's never gone above 45%, but still, it's depressing that roughly 35% of Americans seem to support this lying moron no matter what. The whole "I could shoot a guy on fifth avenue" thing is (partially) real.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Why is this surprising? He has had ~40% approval for like 2 years now. That would be 4/10.

And that percentage is still awful, for those are continue to think he should have a 0% approval.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Only 3 states matter in 2020 and Trump's underwater in all of them (PA, MI, and WI). And 4 out of 10 people being racist, homophobic
pieces of shit sounds about right.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't dominate anything but house seats. A presidential election year is so different. It's incredibly rare for 1 term presidents. I would be very surprised if Trump wins, but America is so god damned stupid.

Turnout was in record high numbers for both parties and democrats blew the republicans out of the water. Downplaying the midterm win isn't a good argument.

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot understand how anyone could possibly be undecided on him by now. Either you're repulsed by the corporate and racist loving idiot or you like it.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I cannot understand how anyone could possibly be undecided on him by now. Either you're repulsed by the corporate and racist loving idiot or you like it.
Because republicans are going to largely vote republican. 40% is likely roughly the republican pool, with probably around 50% being Dems and ~10% being independent or swing.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
And 60% wouldn't. Burying the lede here

He got up to 46% last time... So 40% (if he even reaches that high) just about means a Dem blowout.

More meaningfully, the Midwest is no longer Trump country.

I'd say the 2020 victory map will look closer to 2012 Obama.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
What is important about this statistic is it shows most independents, which is who actually matters, seem to be against Trump.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
An incumbent in a strong economy (debate that bit all you want, but by most any measure it is strong) has a damn good chance of winning. Unless he is impeached, imprisoned, resigns, or the economy goes wrong, I think he's the betting favorite.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

Been trying to wrap my head around it as well. There are number of disparate groups that support Trump/GOP even while admitting that he is a racist criminal because he supports their personal agenda.

Of that 40% there is a large core of racists without a doubt, but there is also a big faction that doesn't like or respect him personally, but they will support him regardless. It's completely fucked, but it's the truth.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
RBG will retire, if that alone doesn't get people out to vote against another terrible nomination, the US is going to be screwed beyond repair for decades. Even more than it already is.
Agreed. This is one of the major factors that motivates Republicans to vote. We can't afford to pretend Supreme Court nominations aren't a partisan issue, because Republicans sure as hell make it partisan every damn time they get a chance. Yet I can see some candidates shying away from pushing that angle to try appease swing voters in purple states. It's... a lousy situation.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Even 4/10 is too high. Freaking idiots is all I have to say. Is there any class that he hasn't ridiculed or harassed, outside of the rich? Why the hell do we want this racist, homophobic, clown back in charge again?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the real story here is that everything is pointing to Trump losing in 2020, assuming he makes it that far. Trump needed an absolute perfect storm to win in 2016 and even then he won it with fewer votes than Mitt Romney got, midterms showed that Trump is underwater in they key states he needed in 2016, and polls are showing that his hopes in 2020 aren't good at all.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
An incumbent in a strong economy (debate that bit all you want, but by most any measure it is strong) has a damn good chance of winning. Unless he is impeached, imprisoned, resigns, or the economy goes wrong, I think he's the betting favorite.
The economy is good, yes, but by pretty much any standard, Trump would lose, badly, if the election were today. The economy being good, and his numbers being as bad as they are is even more damning for him.

Oct 25, 2017
Some thoughts:
  • Trump has been battle tested and no possible scandal will bring him down. It doesn't matter if there's a video of him taking a suitcase of cash from Putin or paying off prostitutes. Nothing matters.
  • No point in trying to appeal to "both sides". Even second on that strategy is wasted. You can't win even one "Never Trumper" because they don't exist.
  • A lot of Americans still want to burn it all down, or whatever.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some thoughts:
  • Trump has been battle tested and no possible scandal will bring him down. It doesn't matter if there's a video of him taking a suitcase of cash from Putin or paying off prostitutes. Nothing matters.
  • No point in trying to appeal to "both sides". Even second on that strategy is wasted. You can't win even one "Never Trumper" because they don't exist.
  • A lot of Americans still want to burn it all down, or whatever.

The "nothing hurts him" thing is still the strangest fantasy surrounding Trump I can think of. He's the most unproductive and least approved of president in a long time, and his party was handed its ass in the midterm. That's all because of him and the scandals and stories around him.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Additionally, lot of the Trump vote was a vote against Hilary, especially in places like Iowa and throughout the Midwest. Her unfavorables were super high there.

Most, if not all of the current Dems running don't have those issues and decades of baggage and right-wing media bombardment.

By 2020 the electorate will have only shifted further towards younger millenial/gen-Z voters.

It's by no means a formality and people will have to do the work and GOTV in droves but he's not favored to win at all.

And as we've already seen in the midterm elections, he's not some infallible politician with an unbeatable base. If Dems enthusiastically turn out and win over independents, they win.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty sure Trump will win unless a democrat candidate manages to run an Obama like campaign and becomes an even bigger celebrity than Trump. Trump is a force of nature and people love him. he is guaranteed to win Florida and Ohio which means the dem candidate will need to flip back PA, Michigan and WI along with winning every other swing state like New Mexico, Nevada, Colorodo, VA and North Carolina. It is going to be insanely difficult for them to campaign in so many different states.

Trump is loved in the midwest and will focus all his efforts in PA, WI and Michigan and win despite losing the popular vote again. He will force democrats to waste all their time campaigning in unwinnable states like Ohio and Florida.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
I am pretty sure Trump will win unless a democrat candidate manages to run an Obama like campaign and becomes an even bigger celebrity than Trump. Trump is a force of nature and people love him. he is guaranteed to win Florida and Ohio which means the dem candidate will need to flip back PA, Michigan and WI along with winning every other swing state like New Mexico, Nevada, Colorodo, VA and North Carolina. It is going to be insanely difficult for them to campaign in so many different states.

Trump is loved in the midwest and will focus all his efforts in PA, WI and Michigan and win despite losing the popular vote again. He will force democrats to waste all their time campaigning in unwinnable states like Ohio and Florida.
No, he's not lol

Did you just choose to ignore the midterms?

They didn't like him, they just really hated Hilary.

Literally 2 days ago
https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-ame...-trump-taking-a-hit-with-supporter-in-midwest

If you're gonna offer some hot takes, at least know what the hell you're talking about.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

...Have you not paid attention to midterms or any polling recently?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Meanwhile:

Fox News may have given the Trump campaign 2016 debate questions in advance

During the first Republican primary debate, hosted by Fox News in 2015, Trump famously faced a difficult question from Megyn Kelly, who confronted him about his past comments about women. Two Fox insiders and a source close to Trump told The New Yorker's Jane Mayer that they "believe that [former Fox CEO Roger] Ailes informed the Trump campaign about Kelly's question."

Mayer writes that two of the sources "say that they know of the tipoff from a purported eyewitness," and a former Trump campaign aide also said that "a Fox contact gave him advance notice of a different debate question." This second question reportedly was about whether each of the candidates would pledge to support the eventual Republican nominee. Trump said he wouldn't.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The people in here mocking the idea that Trump could get reelected really are something. Dem primaries are gonna be a bloodbath and there are a number of candidates who could potentially get rolled by Trump and his media manipulation. The mainstream media is going to make the same exact mistakes they made in 2016 and Trump going toe to toe is going to be formidable. Mid Terms were great for Dems but there is a big difference in going one on one v. Trump as opposed to hundreds of races across the country.