• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I haven't really seen an actual case being built. It's the strangest thing about this escalation. My thought is they're trying to provoke Iran into doing something so they CAN have a case.

Just kinda nuts how many people are on the "well, I guess it's justified" camp.

It's this. They're intentionally playing with fire. The administration will sacrifice civilian safety if it means getting an excuse to strike.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
is there any proof that Iran supports extremist Sunnis like Al-Qaeda?

to me it seems crazy but what do i know..
Iran doesn't support Sunni extremists. They do constantly fund Shi'a extremists however.

But like, our only strong allies in the region are Saudi Arabia and Israel and they both fucking suck soooo

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Remember that time Bush tried to link secular shithead Saddam Hussein to Al-Qaeda. Good times good times.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Many Trump supporters love the military and its weapons, but are also incredibly suspicious of intelligence agencies and the "deep state". Iran would actually have to attack first for Trump to get a significant boost from any war with it.

Supervlieg

CEO at Little Chicken
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's like the worst thing that can happen, so yeah it's inevitable, just like reelection. Worst timeline and all.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Many Trump supporters love the military and its weapons, but are also incredibly suspicious of intelligence agencies and the "deep state". Iran would actually have to attack first for Trump to get a significant boost from any war with it.
They talk a lot but as soon as Trump and co. say we're at war they'll line up behind the military 100% it doesn't matter.

I still think it would hurt him more than help him though.

dudefriend

Banned
Apr 27, 2019
they were also overran by the Mongols and Arab empires. I'm not really sure anyone considers them "white"

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
George W. Bush's approval rating was hovering in the high fifties and early sixties before the Iraq war in 2003. I can count the people I knew who opposed it at the time on one hand.

Trump is historically unpopular, we're not 1.5 years out from 9/11 anymore, and Iran is a serious country four times the size of Iraq with a functional military and mountainous terrain. Draw your own conclusions.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trump was actually elected on being an anti-intervention president. The one silver lining of his platform, really. You'd think a war would be bad for him and unpopular with his base, but I'll cynically say that i wouldn't put anything past him....

Imagine running on anti-war policies... and then hiring John Bolton.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
The US does not want that kind of smoke with Iran. It's a lose/lose situation. Does he even want this. What happened to no more wars that waste money?

The military must have some new weapons to try out.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The US does not want that kind of smoke with Iran. I would have thought the sane members of Trumps circle would advise against even thinking about this kind of shit. It's a lose/lose situation

But this is Trump so I expect this to go ahead.
I mean the military had to be convinced of Iraq. Rumsfeld had to persuade generals who all saw it as a bad idea for the most part.

Most oil companies weren't even for it initially believe it or not.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the military had to be convinced of Iraq. Rumsfeld had to persuade generals who all saw it as a bad idea for the most part.

Most oil companies weren't even for it initially believe it or not.

I cant cant actually see any military going for this.

It would make Iraq look like a day at the park.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
People were calling out this possibility back in 2001. Here we are. 18 years later. A President with such little moral fibre that the entire US Political System has been forever tarnished.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
George W. Bush's approval rating was hovering in the high fifties and early sixties before the Iraq war in 2003. I can count the people I knew who opposed it at the time on one hand.

Trump is historically unpopular, we're not 1.5 years out from 9/11 anymore, and Iran is a serious country four times the size of Iraq with a functional military and mountainous terrain. Draw your own conclusions.

can't Trump just nuke them like his top handler Sheldon Adelson wants to?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I cant cant actually see any military going for this.

It would make Iraq look like a day at the park.
Yeah but it's also not entirely up to them lol

I still don't really see it as a possibility. Escalating tensions for no reason like we've already done since january 2017 though? Of course

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would be Afghanistan, which use to be called Ariana. Regardless, they are not white in the traditional sense that white is used. The hair texture is different, the skin pigmentation is different, their genetic code is different.

Declare them whatever you want, but to "white" people, Perisan are not seen as "one of them", they are seen as "others".

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I can't wait for the talking point of "Trump fights our enemies, what does Obama do? He gives them 400 billion dollars!"

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I can count the people I knew who opposed it at the time on one hand.

The fuck? Plenty of people were against it. Yeah, 9/11 happened, but a lot of people were wondering why are we attacking Iraq when they had nothing to do with 9/11. There was support from some people and many politicians, but let's not pretend the Iraq war was popular.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Are we really still pissed off about 9/11? Haven't we killed enough brown people a thousand times over to avenge people who died that day? How can you possibly sell going into a war with Iran over this shit?

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
The fuck? Plenty of people were against it. Yeah, 9/11 happened, but a lot of people were wondering why are we attacking Iraq when they had nothing to do with 9/11. There was support from some people and many politicians, but let's not pretend the Iraq war was popular.

Shit, I wish it hadn't been; being accused of "hating America" wasn't super fun. 72% approval on 03/19/2003. That's not quite Gulf War popular, but it was pretty goddamned popular.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
White like European and/or Anglo American? I don't agree with that at all.

The Iranian/Persian culture, religion, geography, food, dress, look and just about everything else is nearer a Middle Eastern person then "white".

Doesn't matter if you agree with it. Iranians both consider themselves White and are considered White by the US census. Moreover, you've also probably run across loads of Iranians and your brain didn't process that they were anyone but a random White person. Obviously you're free to believe whatever you want, but if you go up to an Iranian person and refer to them as a "person of color" you're very likely to come across as offensive.

You know most Americans don't know that, right?

Middle East = Brown Muslim Terrorists to most Americans

I'm an American and I know that. More importantly, John Bolton and his war hawk allies know it too. This has nothing to do with the US attacking "people of color". It has nothing to do with race whatsoever, and the constant racializing of seemingly everything by young Americans is obtuse and counterproductive. It's entirely about removing a regional power in opposition to Saudi and Israel and friendly to Russia and China and the ancillary "benefits" that would result form that.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter if you agree with it. Iranians both consider themselves White and are considered White by the US census. Moreover, you've also probably run across loads of Iranians and your brain didn't process that they were anyone but a random White person. Obviously you're free to believe whatever you want, but if you go up to an Iranian person and refer to them as a "person of color" you're very likely to come across as offensive.

I'm an American and I know that. More importantly, John Bolton and his war hawk allies know it too. This has nothing to do with the US attacking "people of color". It has nothing to do with race whatsoever, and the constant racializing of seemingly everything by young Americans is obtuse and counterproductive. It's entirely about removing a regional power in opposition to Saudi and Israel and friendly to Russia and China and the ancillary "benefits" that would result form that.
I'm Iranian and sure as hell wouldn't want to be considered "white". A very minor percentage of Iranians do actually fit into the traditional "white" description, but mostly the types of Iranians that insist they're white are either ignorant or have internalized racism that whites > browns.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing is going to impact voters.... war, impeachment hearings, nothing. People know if they want to vote for trump or not.

Trump and his team of misfits will scream lies from the rooftops. They know the areas that Russia needs to target with ads and we are not prepared to stop it. People are trying to tell themselves that this action or that action will give the election to trump.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
You can't just stop being in the military if you're under contract

You also can't randomly claim to be a Conscientious objector after willingly enlisting into the armed forces

AWOL is an option if you like jail time or getting the death penalty if it's during war time.

Not even sure what the last comment means
Right. You should take part in killing people so you dont have to live with the consequences of your choices.

Remind me, when was the last time that an american soldier got the death penalty for going awol?

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right. You should take part in killing people so you dont have to live with the consequences of your choices.

Remind me, when was the last time that an american soldier got the death penalty for going awol?

I mean....if you don't want the possibility of killing people, you'd be an idiot to join the military. It's kinda in the job description.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Conscientious objection is an actual process that gets you out of military service if drafted or put into non-combat roles, and there is a limited window when drafted to claim you're an objector.

There is no such thing as being a conscientious objector after you willingly enlist into the armed forces if your objection is simply who you're at war against. If we go to war with Iran and suddenly you try to claim you're a "conscientious objector", that request is just going to get tossed into the trash if your only objection is "I don't want to kill Iranians"

What you're describing is dereliction of duty.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
Where do the 2020 Democratic candidates stand on this war with Iran?
I don't care what Saudi Arabia and Israel want. The last thing we need is another fucking war.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Man the parallels between this and Iraq are making my head spin. If you were a teen or older back then, this is all very familiar to you. Just without 9/11 to help sell it.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Trump gets support based on getting an emotional response from people. Logic doesnt come into it. As long as people are given someone to mock, attack, sneer and jeer at, they are happy. Brown people, Foreigners, Minorities, Women, Gays, Disabled, The Poor, the Left, The Swamp, the "system". Anger, anger, anger.

What better way to get people emotional than a war. Drama, action, death, destruction. His base are going to lap this bullshit up.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really seen an actual case being built. It's the strangest thing about this escalation. My thought is they're trying to provoke Iran into doing something so they CAN have a case.

Just kinda nuts how many people are on the "well, I guess it's justified" camp.
It's more like they're building/built a legal case to completely bypass Congress should they successfuly provoke Iran into doing something (or manufacture a reason entirely). They're setting up for it, and will just need a catalyst.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

Support skyrocketed after combat began, and it took awhile for reality to set in with most.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
It's cute that Americans think there will never be another draft. That's certainly a possibility, but not 100%. This is a country that historically had drafts, and which political party do you think would love to reinstate the draft?

It's a good thing that voting is anonymous because Trump would love to send Democrat millennials to be the boots on the ground in Iran.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
For those people talking about military fatigue, I am legitimately curious as to whether the 'merican President, a draft dodging cunt, can unilaterally call for conscription to replace current burnouts and add more warm bodies should 'merican degenerates instigate another war?

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
For those people talking about military fatigue, I am legitimately curious as to whether the 'merican President, a draft dodging cunt, can unilaterally call for conscription to replace current burnouts and add more warm bodies should 'merican degenerates instigate another war?
I believe the president needs congress to trigger the selective service system.

In the Iraq War, Bush used some sort of loophole to basically unilaterally draft people who used to be in the military, but aren't anymore. I don't know if that was ever changed.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Feb 10, 2018
A war with Iran would be a very bad idea, while no doubt the American military is vastly bigger, irans army can still do a lot of damage, they have about 100 fighter aircraft, they do have extensive air defence and nearly 1million personnel. There military budget is double North Koreas and 1/3 of the United Kingdoms.

Surely they could do significant damage to the US forces, while also undertaking massive loss of life in Iran.