• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I'm starting to get Tienanmen Square images flashing before me.
At least in Tiananmen Square, the guy in the street didn't get run over.
EDIT: yes I'm aware of the actual massacre, and wasn't trying to make light of it.I meant that the country's military/police/etc are already far gone enough that you wouldn't see anybody stopping for protesters like in the famous picture

Last edited:

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
If this does happen I hope those on the ground know better and don't follow orders.

They surely must know what will happen if they start killing their own citizens.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
So many people deserve to say "I told you so."
The US has been in decline since Nixon, but day 1 when Trump was elected there were major concerns of the US finally completely falling apart. Now it's happening.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
You are the rarity in a sea of ignorance and racism that is the US military. Every single military person I know is a racist who thinks they are above citizens and think they are badasses with a gun

the US military has almost always served terrible purposes but post-9/11 military is psychopath shit and people are underestimating that

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
At least he's just "considering" it? ....ugh

All he ever does is consider things because he has no idea what he's doing. He gets these ideas he thinks are great, then learns he doesn't actually have the power to do it, or that it won't work exactly like he hoped. He's one of the stupidest people I've ever seen.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
isn't this usually how coup de etats starts? send military in to quell protests, some of the military units disobey orders and protect civilians

basically the same thing that happened in our country lol

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The funny part is the military wouldn't be able to use tear gas since its banned lmao

julian

Oct 27, 2017
All he ever does is consider things because he has no idea what he's doing. He gets these ideas he thinks are great, then learns he doesn't actually have the power to do it, or that it won't work exactly like he hoped. He's one of the stupidest people I've ever seen.
Yes and no, sometimes he does manage to get his crazy shit through because he's surrounded by crazy/racist enough people willing to implement them.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
isn't this usually how coup de etats starts? send military in to quell protests, some of the military units disobey orders and protect civilians

basically the same thing that happened in our country lol
Yes but the question is how much military supports trump. If the military majority is with him it will lead to a ugly crackdown or civil war

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This is just beyond the pale and grotesque. I wish the worst on Trump. I don't think I have ever hated anyone more.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Say bye bye to elections if this happens.

You'll hear all about not being safe to vote, vote fraud, unfair media, unfair governors etc. Conclusion will be : "In light of these events, the US Federal Government is postponing elections untill the situation is normalized".

This is how democracy ends.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes but the question is how much military supports trump. If the military majority is with him it will lead to a ugly crackdown or civil war
militaries have the tendency to be pro-authoritarian. i dont think the us military is any different.
Test run for a military coup when Trump loses?

These are minorities, so I think the US military will be fine with it.
at this point, why wait for the election?

You'll hear all about not being safe to vote, vote fraud, unfair media, unfair governors etc. Conclusion will be : "In light of these events, the US Federal Government is postponing elections untill the situation is normalized".

all fake media will immediately be arrested for soreading false rumors and inciting civil outrage. the only media allowed will be fox. the constitution will be temporarily put out of order and the supreme court will allow it with the newly appointed judges.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017

Federal government doesn't schedule or have oversight over elections. Smh

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Seems a lot easier and cost effective to arrest a handful cops. They haven't seemed to have a problem arresting people for bullshit over the weekend why can't they do that to lying murderers?

Oct 27, 2017
you...you know what happened right?

en.wikipedia.org

Tank Man - Wikipedia

www.youtube.com

Tank Man (now with more raw footage)

So, I know other users have previously uploaded this video, but I couldn't find a version that features as much of the available raw footage as possible in o...

There was never any proof that he was executed although there were a million stories that claimed it. In the video, I believe after a minute a couple friends of his just grabs his arm and he goes back into the crowd. I would like to think that he just got away with it but it does seem possible that they would never be able to track him down.

May 26, 2018
They will make sure to get people without any ties to the areas they are sent. They will just happen to all be from rural areas and white, the most likely to have no misgivings about gunning down some city folk.

That's generally how it's done. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how Pol Pot got his machine running like it did.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Say goodbye to that 2nd term dude

On the contrary. This is Trump's best shot at winning that 2nd term. Blaming the left for the "riots" (not "protests") is, unfortunately, probably a very savvy pitch by Trump. The good news is that most people have probably already made up their minds about him.

Nevertheless, see this small history lesson from today's entry at ElectoralVote.com (a great site, btw):

On April 4, 1968, Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Memphis, TN by a white man. Riots broke out all over the country. The one major city that stayed calm was Indianapolis, where Bobby Kennedy, then a presidential candidate, was campaigning. Against the advice of the police, he went to a black neighborhood, got up on to a flatbed truck, and gave an impromptu speech, including the lines: "For those of you who are black and are tempted to be filled with hatred and mistrust of the injustice of such an act, against all white people, I would only say that I can also feel in my own heart the same kind of feeling. I had a member of my family killed, but he was killed by a white man." This was the first time Bobby had spoken in public about JFK's assassination and is now considered one of the greatest speeches in American history. It is credited with keeping Indianapolis calm while the rest of the country burned. The riots lasted for a week and were the biggest civil unrest in the United States since the Civil War.

Two months later, Kennedy himself was assassinated in Los Angeles.

For many young people, having two leaders they worshiped killed within two months was enough. About 10,000 protesters showed up at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in August. They were protesting the War in Vietnam, the nomination of Hubert Humphrey, civil rights violations all over the country, police brutality, and general dislike and distrust of authorities. There were violent clashes between the protesters and the police, in what a later report described as a "police riot." Since Humphrey's nomination was a foregone conclusion, the media coverage of the convention focused on the battle outside the hall.

The Republican nominee, Richard Nixon, noted carefully what happened in Chicago. He began to run on a law-and-order platform, appealing to the "silent majority" of people who did not riot that year. For many people, encouraged by Nixon, black people, hippies, yippies, demonstrators, and rioters merged into a vague (but dangerous) group called "Democrats." In the end, the strategy worked. Nixon won six states that he lost in his 1960 run against JFK: Delaware, Illinois, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, and South Carolina.