• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's assuming every incoming President will actually have dirt on them to the extent that Trump does. To try to equate that the action itself will set a precedent regardless of the actual president in question seems silly. Especially when democrats love their civility so fucking much lmao.

If it wasn't so sad that this type of inaction doesn't just put the danger of Trump 2024 on the table, Trump the guy that will use the DoJ as a partisan cudgel AGAIN, I would laugh at when it happens.

Republicans have literally no shame. it sucks that the goalposts are constantly moved at their discretion but by now we know that you cannot give them an inch. If we use Trump's own partisan tactics against him, the next GOP president - Trump or otherwise - will respond in kind once the pendulum rolls back the other way. It doesn't matter how much "dirt" Biden has, they will find an excuse.

This will become normal. We cannot allow it to become normal. Any time we normalize shit like this the GOP will always hurt us with it far more than we can hurt them.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
An American president should never have that much sway over the legal system. If you think otherwise than you have to be okay with Trump

Seriously.
No I'm saying make use of your sway as long as you have it cause the other side are certainly doing it.
But sure continue to take the L's nothing speaks to America more than having the rich white man escape repercussion for his crimes while everyone else would face unpayable fines and prison.
Republicans have literally no shame. it sucks that the goalposts are constantly moved at their discretion but by now we know that you cannot give them an inch. If we use Trump's own partisan tactics against him, the next GOP president - Trump or otherwise - will respond in kind once the pendulum rolls back the other way. It doesn't matter how much "dirt" Biden has, they will find an excuse.

This will become normal. We cannot allow it to become normal. Any time we normalize shit like this the GOP will always hurt us with it far more than we can hurt them.
I heard that one before we go high they go low. Too tired to argue that type of impotent garbage when we already have the results of that line of thinking with a 3-6 Supreme Court. I'll pray in silence that Biden delivers tangible results I guess. Cause fucking Trump 2024 succeeding is not some fringe case, crazy town scenario to me.
I've said this since 2018 that no matter what Trump does it will not hurt his support among his base and in 2020 his base became bigger. I'm just glad that there is at least 6 mil more voters in places that matter for the EC this time around.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean if you want the country to devolve to a point where every single incoming president uses the Department of Justice as a partisan cudgel to sue the shit out of their immediate predecessor for crimes real or imagined, by all means go right ahead and cheer for that.

Because right now we have one rogue asshole abusing his power, and we're finally almost free of him. Two makes a trend.
holy shit, prosecuting a criminal administration FOR ONCE EVER is the terrible trend we're worried about? you're not concerned about the long historical trend of criminal conduct in office going totally unpunished??

people who believe that Trump was a shocking exception, and not the culmination of American government malfeasance rampaging unchecked for decades, are dumb motherfuckers

Dec 12, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory accusation; numerous prior bans for inflammatory accusations and hostility
No I'm saying make use of your sway as long as you have it cause the other side are certainly doing it.
But sure continue to take the L's nothing speaks to America more than having the rich white man escape repercussion for his crimes while everyone else would face unpayable fines and prison.
Ok, I'm just going to make a mental note that you believe everything Trump did was ok and normal.
holy shit, prosecuting a criminal administration FOR ONCE EVER is the terrible trend we're worried about? you're not concerned about the long historical trend of criminal conduct in office going totally unpunished??

people who believe that Trump was a shocking exception, and not the culmination of American government malfeasance rampaging unchecked for decades, are dumb motherfuckers
not a single person in this thread is asking for the DOJ to ignore Trump or any President's crime. They are simply asking that Biden adhere to a long standing tradition of not turning the DOJ into a personal political entity. Get real lol.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'm just going to make a mental note that you believe everything Trump did was ok and normal. Enjoy yourself I guess.
And I'm going to make a mental note that you can't read and put you on my ignore asshole. Imagine batting for Trump to not face any kind of justice for the shit he has done. I can't even fathom that people would defend that on some idiotic notion of upholding we go high they go low.... Actually disgusting.
But hold onto your we go high they go low impotent preaching that gave us Trump in the first place and gave you the 3-6 Supreme Court :)

Oct 27, 2017
www.nbcnews.com

Opinion | Democrats should want Biden to pardon Trump. Here's why.

Sure, the president doesn't deserve it. But it has a lot of upsides for Biden, those who seek his prosecution and for the American people.

jfc
Like I already said the signals are being sent. History repeats so get ready for a repeat of Trump 2.0 in whatever form it rears up.

Article basically says that a pardon worked for Nixon so it will work for Trump: Remember he has 70 million followers!

Jesus.Fucking.Christ.

Dec 12, 2017
And I'm going to make a mental note that you can't read and put you on my ignore asshole. Imagine batting for Trump to not face any kind of justice for the shit he has done. I can't even fathom that people would defend that on some idiotic notion of upholding we go high they go low.... Actually disgusting.
But hold onto your we go high they go low impotent preaching that gave us Trump in the first place and gave you the 3-6 Supreme Court :)
Pls hit the ignore button already, lol.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This frustrating sentiment will be exploited time and again during a Biden administration. Republicans don't want unity, they don't want to move on, they don't operate in good faith and they are subservient to Donald Trump. If you don't treat the disease, it will continue to fester.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I heard that one before we go high they go low. Too tired to argue that type of impotent garbage when we already have the results of that line of thinking with a 3-6 Supreme Court. I'll pray in silence that Biden delivers tangible results I guess. Cause fucking Trump 2024 succeeding is not some fringe case scenario.
I've said this since 2018 that no matter what Trump does it will not hurt his support among his base and in 2020 his base became bigger. I'm just glad that there is at least 6 mil more voters in places that matter for the EC this time around.

Let me be blunt: if the entire political system is just a bunch of partisan hackery and "let's sue the last guy because we don't like him" bouncing back and forth like a fucking game of ping pong, then America doesn't need or deserve to exist as a nation. Our political system is dead. You want to drown in partisan bullshit, by all means go ahead. But there has to be someone standing up for the systems the country was founded on or we don't really HAVE a country.

Let the State of New York shred Trump and his family. This should not be the way presidents are expected to act moving forward.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Accusation and Hostility
Pls hit the ignore button already, lol.
I just did closet Trump defender :)
Let me be blunt: if the entire political system is just a bunch of partisan hackery and "let's sue the last guy because we don't like him" bouncing back and forth like a fucking game of ping pong, then America doesn't need or deserve to exist as a nation. Our political system is dead. You want to drown in partisan bullshit, by all means go ahead. But there has to be someone standing up for the systems the country was founded on or we don't really HAVE a country.

Let the State of New York shred Trump and his family. This should not be the way presidents are expected to act moving forward.
We'll see. I predict nothing will happen to Trump he can freely rerun in 4 years. And Democrats going to take more L's for trying more partisan approaches while Mitch is cooking up his next grift to fuck the country over.
Hope I'm wrong but I've been seeing a trend in the last 12 years(and probably more). But at least the Democrats can claim when it happens that they didn't stoop low!!! That's the important thing!!!!! :D

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Meanwhile their were tons of investigations into Clinton emails. The Dems have such loser mentalities. There are people with passion and intensity in the party but they are outnumbered by droves of feckless wimps.

Ivan2Nguyen

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been told that it's illegal to yell fire in a crowded theater. I'd like to assume the inverse is true. Telling everyone to sit still and breath in the smoke is also illegal. When I read this headline, I see it as Biden saying he won't put his thumb on the scale when it comes to how the judiciary works.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's the correct reading of the situation. They demanded them for the express purpose of impeaching Trump, which is irrelevant once Trump is out of office. The motion was going to fail anyway and come January the Biden admin will give them access to the redacted portions, no court order needed.

I hope you're right because this makes more sense, but doesn't this sort of contradict Biden wanting to just "move on"?

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Just thinking about this is depressing. Let's say New York state nails Trump to the wall, like so many people here are expressing confidence about. Those are charges for bank fraud, tax fraud, insurance fraud. They have jack shit to do with the crimes in office that have been the most destructive! If Trump is only ever punished for his crimes as a private citizen, what deterrent does that serve against future politicians?
To be fair, they caught some mobsters on similar charges rather than, ya know, their mob work.

Sometimes you take what you can get. Not saying he shouldn't be prosecuted for those other crimes, but if it's all you can get, call the IRS.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
www.nbcnews.com

Opinion | Democrats should want Biden to pardon Trump. Here's why.

Sure, the president doesn't deserve it. But it has a lot of upsides for Biden, those who seek his prosecution and for the American people.

jfc

Like I already said the signals are being sent. History repeats so get ready for a repeat of Trump 2.0 in whatever form it rears up.

Article basically says that a pardon worked for Nixon so it will work for Trump: Remember he has 70 million followers!

Jesus.Fucking.Christ.

Michael Conway was counsel for the House Judiciary Committee in the impeachment inquiry of President Richard Nixon in 1974. In that role, he assisted in drafting the committee's final report to the House in support of the three articles of impeachment adopted by the committee. Conway is a graduate of Yale Law School, a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and a retired partner of Foley & Lardner LLP in Chicago.

This is written by a guy who hasn't held a political office in years.

Get a fucking grip people.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I'm just going to make a mental note that you believe everything Trump did was ok and normal.

not a single person in this thread is asking for the DOJ to ignore Trump or any President's crime. They are simply asking that Biden adhere to a long standing tradition of not turning the DOJ into a personal political entity. Get real lol.
They don't want the DoJ to ignore Trump, but they're delusionally misreading Biden when he's setting an agenda that includes the DoJ ignoring Trump.

It's a fantasy that the DoJ is a totally independent entity, that requires believing that a President will have no political considerations when they choose their AG. In reality, it's not mysterious why AGs have very rarely been at odds with the Presidents who hired them. Presidents pick AGs who enact their agenda. Biden is not going to pick an AG who will start investigations that Biden is leaking through his staff that he doesn't want.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. I predict nothing will happen to Trump he can freely rerun in 4 years. And Democrats going to take more L's for trying more partisan approaches while Mitch is cooking up his next grift to fuck the country over.
Hope I'm wrong but I've been seeing a trend in the last 12 years(and probably more). But at least the Democrats can claim when it happens that they didn't stoop low!!! That's the important thing!!!!! :D

It's not about not going low. I'm saying that normalizing the position of the DOJ as a partisan weapon for the President to aim at whoever he or she wants sets a devastating precedent that will have lasting implications for decades moving forward.

And we're freaking out over leaked conversations from aides who may have a particular agenda to push, rather than outright statements from a man who isn't even the president yet.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
this is what i always assumed. like he said months ago "i won't interfere with DOJ investigations" when asked about a possible pardon. idk why people took that as "I will personally quarterback DOJ investigations"

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
this is what i always assumed. like he said months ago "i won't interfere with DOJ investigations" when asked about a possible pardon. idk why people took that as "I will personally quarterback DOJ investigations"
People are reading what they want to see in this. The article itself isn't a large departure from what we already know, which was that Biden didn't want to be directly involved in any investigations pertaining to Trump.

Won't stop people from being convinced that Trump is already pardoned though

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about not going low. I'm saying that normalizing the position of the DOJ as a partisan weapon for the President to aim at whoever he or she wants sets a devastating precedent that will have lasting implications for decades moving forward.

And we're freaking out over leaked conversations from aides who may have a particular agenda to push, rather than outright statements from a man who isn't even the president yet.
It is about that when the other side already been doing that.
The real systematic solution is putting new restriction in place to prevent that abuse but if that's not happening to not use any and all tools at your disposal to bring positive change about and in this case maybe just prevent a Trump rerun in 2024 entirely seems frankly stupid and again we've seen what this attitude has done.

Like democrats are so concerned with what is going to happen if they fight as dirty as Republicans so so concerned while republicans take all their W's with no shame and the country is for the worse for it. Congrats!

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
It's the messaging. Watch the media in the next two months; some noises will be made in the first 6 months of Biden's admin (post time to heal etc of course), then I expect radio silence. Then watch the sore fester.

It's a fucking op-ed written by former politician who has no influence in Democratic party. It's not like Chuck Schumer or Nancy Pelosi wrote it.

Jesus fucking Christ this thread is a shitshow.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fucking op-ed written by former politician who has no influence in Democratic party. It's not like Chuck Schumer or Nancy Pelosi wrote it.

Jesus fucking Christ this thread is a shitshow.
Yeah and we're responding to a report that Biden said he doesn't want to rattle any cages or ruffle any feathers... but it's ok cause it's hearsay you guys!

KingK

Oct 27, 2017

Again, assuming the article is accurate, why would he go out of his way to explicitly tell the people assembling his list of potential hires that he doesn't want investigations, that he thinks they would be a divisive distraction, and that he wants to move on and heal/unify? That's not neutral language.

Ya'll are focusing on the "BUT I won't directly dictate what the DOJ does," part while ignoring everything said before that. He doesn't have to get involved or shut stuff down if he just appoints people who share his views and won't investigate in the first place.

If he was truly interested in remaining neutral and having the DOJ do whatever they want with this, he wouldn't have said any of that shit. He'd say he's not taking a position on it.

And I'm not comfortable betting all of my chips on the state of New York going hard against Trump without the backing of the federal justice system. Optimistically, I see NY slapping him on the wrist with a minor fine so they can parade around some weaksauce example of "justice" and calling it a day. Realistically, I'm doubtful they even do that much.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Again. For the ELEVEN THOUSANDTH time.

You are asking the president to abuse his power and overstep the bounds of the office to go after a political opponent. No matter how fucking much Trump deserves to be in jail, it is not the job of the President of the United States to go out of his way to encourage the jailing of political opponents. That's Putin shit. That's banana republic shit.

I want to see Trump suffer. I want to see his name reduced to ashes. I want every member of his family to be a pariah everywhere they go for the rest of their lives. But I am not going to encourage us to become Blue Trump just to get there. Let the people whose job it is to actually prosecute Trump prosecute him. They've got this covered.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This country is mega boned unless Biden figures out that prosecution and rooting out Trump's rot is the only way to move on.

You are asking the president to abuse his power and overstep the bounds of the office to go after a political opponent. No matter how fucking much Trump deserves to be in jail, it is not the job of the President of the United States to go out of his way to encourage the jailing of political opponents. That's Putin shit. That's banana republic shit.

I want to see Trump suffer. I want to see his name reduced to ashes. I want every member of his family to be a pariah everywhere they go for the rest of their lives. But I am not going to encourage us to become Blue Trump just to get there. Let the people whose job it is to actually prosecute Trump prosecute him. They've got this covered.
Sorry but the fucker destroyed every presidential norm, cozied up to dictators, courted foreign interference in our elections, and laid out a roadmap for a fascist takeover that future GOP operatives will assuredly follow. This isn't an ordinary circumstance. It's not politically motivated animus without cause. Trump literally attempted to bring about the destruction of democracy.

If you don't think that's grounds for prosecution, get fucking real. Trump's naked corruption knows no limit, and the only reason he didn't commit more crimes is that even his enablers were like "hey yeah maybe don't do that."

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This country is mega boned unless Biden figures out that prosecution and rooting out Trump's rot is the only way to move on.

Sorry but the fucker destroyed every presidential norm, cozied up to dictators, courted foreign interference in our elections, and layed out a roadmap for a fascist takeover that future GOP operatives will assuredly follow. This isn't an ordinary circumstance. It's not politically motivated animus without cause. Trump literally attempted to bring about the destruction of democracy.

If you don't think that's grounds for prosecution, get fucking real. Trump's naked corruption knows no limit, and the only reason he didn't commit more crimes is that even his enablers were like "hey yeah maybe don't do that."

Read the last two sentences of my post.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans primary concern is accumulating power. Dems primary concern is attempting to placate Republicans. For once, I wish we were like all those countries I hear media outlets refer to as "banana republics." This is a scenario where Trump, Don Jr., Erik and Ivanka should all be held accountable for their crimes and abuses of power. All of them.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Read the last two sentences of my post.

As I already mentioned to you:

It's his literal job and legal obligation to staff the Justice Department.

Signaling to advisors that will be gathering potential appointees that he is not interested in investigations and prosecution attempts as that recruitment process is beginning to take shape is specifically an act of nudging the justice process.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
While Trump should definitely face justice, what the government should be focused on moving forward over the next four years is reining in much of the presidential authority Trump abused while he was in office. It should be clear that if we've had one Trump we'll likely get another. We have four years to try and get some safe guards in place before we potentially have more presidential fuckery taking place. One person should not be able to fuck over the whole country to the extent Trump was able to. There will probably be at least a decade of fall out from it.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Republicans primary concern is accumulating power. Dems primary concern is attempting to placate Republicans. For once, I wish we were like all those countries I hear media outlets refer to as "banana republics." This is a scenario where Trump, Don Jr., Erik and Ivanka should all be held accountable for their crimes and abuses of power. All of them.
Whats amazing as well is you had centrist Democrats and Republicans recognizing this very real toxic dynamic in 2012 and warning of this very kind of capitulation, forgiveness, and normalization cycle that Democrats and the media fall victim to, and how it simply muddies the perception of the public and emboldens the illiberal trends of Republicans.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to find the lie here...

I'd say it's more that the GOP has become a "Government is bad" party that exists primarily to undermine any authority that government has. They're largely interested in power as a way of restricting government.

As a result the contemporary Democrats are an umbrella party that houses what would be the entirety of an actual functioning government... all people who believe that government has the authority to tax people and to provide any sort of services to people whatsoever are lumped in together as Democrats.

So, it's basically an anti-government party pitted against a group that's tasked with the whole burden of making the affirmative case for government's role in life.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Biden starting his term out strong I see.

How can you look at everything Trump has done and not do everything in your power to try and prosecute him?

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
I predict nothing will happen on a federal level. Maybe NY will do something in the end but all the crimes and abuse he and his cronies did this last 4 years will get swept under the rug and ignored.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly hope Trump self-pardons and it gets tested by the courts, just so we can get that crap resolved one way or the other.

It seems blatantly incompatible with the Constitution to me, so having it hanging over us as it has been is absurd.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

Fucking thank you! Please just keep posting this bc it's insane how it's not clear for people.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
What actual crimes has Trump committed?
Really?
Obstruction of justice.
Lied to investigators.
Conspired with Russian intelligence to commit an offense against the United States.

All three crimes carry a maximum sentence of five years in prison — per charge.

We can also talk about the REPEATED violations of the emoluments clause.

State of New York:
Bank fraud
Tax fraud
Insurance fraud

The New York Times has detailed how Trump and his family have long falsified records to avoid taxes, and during testimony before Congress in 2019, Trump's longtime fixer Michael Cohen stated that Trump had inflated the value of his assets to obtain a bank loan.

This is just the start.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Really?
Obstruction of justice.
Lied to investigators.
Conspired with Russian intelligence to commit an offense against the United States.

All three crimes carry a maximum sentence of five years in prison — per charge.

We can also talk about the REPEATED violations of the emoluments clause.

State of New York:
Bank fraud
Tax fraud
Insurance fraud

The New York Times has detailed how Trump and his family have long falsified records to avoid taxes, and during testimony before Congress in 2019, Trump's longtime fixer Michael Cohen stated that Trump had inflated the value of his assets to obtain a bank loan.

This is just the start.
Why isn't anyone going after him?