• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
62d65427b67e0785a9dd3adbe3459998.gif
Yup. This is how I see that interaction going.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
When that former president has a long history of con jobs and criminal activity.. if they are found guilty, in a court of law, then they should be behind bars.

NO ONE should be above the law. You want to prove that there is justice, then you do what you are supposed to do to criminals.. regardless of their former job.

Sound logic which I wholeheartedly agree with for the most part but POTUS isn't any job. The office will be protected. I don't expect prosecution at the federal level. Letitia James will have to do the heavy lifting.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interference with the DOJ is one of the (many) reasons we didn't want Trump, guys.

Oct 27, 2017
Biden is playing politics. His words are being carefully chosen right now. I'm not stating he has ulterior motives, just that he's dancing in a mine field.

I know we all want to see these ghouls get what they deserve. The media wants to create division, spectacle makes them money.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It feels distinctly like the "not interfere with the DOJ" is being buried in favour of an attention grabbing headlining. For starters, that's what he should be doing, but also, that means if the DOJ pursues an investigation of crimes Trump committed, Biden is stating he will let that go on unimpeded.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Trump, right-wing media, and misinformation are going to keep Trump's base energized and outraged regardless of what happens to Trump. I'd at least rather see his crimes fully exposed in a court so that he isn't free to continue spouting falsehoods and so that the legal system is on record of saying that the crimes were real and he was guilty of them.

Letting him go with no consequences is naive as hell. Biden will be blamed for using the "deep state" to attack Trump regardless of whether a single lawsuit is brought against him. This country needs to return to a point where actions have consequences.

To be clear, I'm also of the mind that the most dangerous thing Biden could do would be to advise his Justice Department and State AGs to cease all investigations into Trump and his activities prior to and during his presidency. Humoring Trump's rhetoric and legitimizing his "legacy" in the eyes of the GOP base as the Republican Party has thus become more and more the party of Trump will be acting much like the Weimar Republic humoring Hitler and his enablers. He must not be allowed to have his crimes be ignored for the sake of "healing" the country when he's still going to act as the cult leader he's become and attempt to undermine the legitimacy of Biden's presidency which an non-insignificant portion of Republicans already don't buy. He needs to be continually exposed as the fraud and grifter that he is, up to and including imprisonment.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
This is good. Biden needs to focus on actually getting shit done, let the DOJ and local offices deal with Trump, which we already know is happening in NY.

Some of you are acting like he's actively stopping the DOJ from getting shit done.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
This is a good thing.
The president shouldn't be using the DoJ as a bludgeon.
Also, there's seemingly enough bread crumbs lying around for new DoJ leadership to hit the ground running without explicit direction.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's best to leave state prosecutors to deal with Trump, so this isn't an irrational or illogical thing to say.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
My read between the lines here is that Biden will allow his justice department to investigate Trump. That's fine by me.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
This is what he has said from the beginning, so I'm glad he is being consistent.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine, as long as he doesn't interfere with the DOJ or State investigations.
Something has to happen though, it has been way too eggregious and beyond the pale.
And I'm gonna go ahead and say, that if for the sake of "unity and moving on" he was to extend a pardon ala Gerald Ford, the Dem party -as we know it- would be finished.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
2020: "This is terrible, the president should not be ordering the Justice Department to investigate his political enemies!"

2021: "This is terrible, the president should be ordering the Justice Department to investigate his political enemies!"

In all seriousness though, the norm before Trump was that the DOJ should not simply serve as a legal goon squad to serve the president's whims, and if this is Biden signaling this I am all for it. If Biden actively discourages investigations when the DOJ has credible evidence and motive, then raise holy hell.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, get ready for 4 years of Trump attacking Biden daily, his supporters protesting and escalating, Republicans blocking any progress, and Trump or someone worse as President after.
How exactly would that be worse than a world where Biden goes hard after Trump? It's not like filing charges against him will just make his supporters shut up, it would probably make them angrier and result in a bigger backlash. Doing that would only make it harder to get any kind of legislation through and result in even more obstruction and deterioration. What would really be gained from Biden making prosecuting Trump a priority for his presidency?

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this seems like a smart move. He gets to keep his hands clean, but the DoJ can do what it needs to, which probably won't be much, but the NY can throw the book at Trump and get the job done anyway. Biden gets to look clean, Trump still gets fucked in the end.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Biden is not about to pardon Trump for shit.

Even if Trump pardons himself and his cronies, it protects them from federal prosecution, not individual states.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Honestly this seems like a smart move. He gets to keep his hands clean, but the DoJ can do what it needs to, which probably won't be much, but the NY can throw the book at Trump and get the job done anyway. Biden gets to look clean, Trump still gets fucked in the end.
Yep. Biden is saying and doing the right things in public about this. The focus should be on us and not that pus-bucket Trump. I'm sure tons of investigations will happen behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It feels distinctly like the "not interfere with the DOJ" is being buried in favour of an attention grabbing headlining. For starters, that's what he should be doing, but also, that means if the DOJ pursues an investigation of crimes Trump committed, Biden is stating he will let that go on unimpeded.
Absolutely. I see this as Biden saying "I'm not going to be Gerald Ford".

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
Biden should focus on the country, not on Trump. Trump never focused on the country. Only himself and his goon family. New York should already be in the planning stages for Trumps arrest after he leaves office and nobody can help him there.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
there's gonna be no prosecution. doj independence is not gonna save accountibility. no one wants to set a precedent of prosecuting outgoing administrations.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, he's basically literally said this before.
It checks out with his previous statements. The short version is that he himself won't go after Trump or his administration. He won't request investigations. He wants unity and it'll only anger Republicans if he calls for investigations.

That being said, he isn't stopping the DOJ and states from ripping him to shreds if they want. He won't pardon Trump or his associates. As long as he explicitly doesn't ask for them to not investigate, then I don't really see a problem.

What's going to be interesting is seeing how Trump supporters jump through hoops to blame Biden for whatever the states or DOJ do. You know they're going to try and say Biden told them to go after Trump.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
"Wont interfere with DOJ" is basically code for he's letting the wolves go after Trump

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is fine. It's not necessarily his job to investigate Trump. That will inevitably happen through the state courts. NY AG in particular has been pursuing legal action towards Trump for a while now.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
A lot of whining and doom saying while simultaneously missing the point as hard as can be in here.

Biden can say this. He's going to be the President not the Attorney General. He also said he wasn't going to interfere with his DOJ. So if investigations happen this frees him to shrug his shoulders and go "Not my table."

Which is exactly what you want out of President.

Also if you want to worry about nothing being investigated focus on how we have to win both of the GA runoffs and tie the Senate for that to be a possibility. Because if Republicans keep control of the Senate there is no way we're going to get an AG that would even consider investigating any part of the previous administration.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Yeah, he's just saying he won't interfere personally.

If states and other agencies drag him, I see him basically ignoring it and focusing on other things.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Yeahh....

Like I've been saying, the Feds aren't going to do shit against Trump. New York will also do nothing, most likely. At worst, he'll get a slap on the wrist with some mild fines from the state. Trump is never going to jail and will never face any real, significant consequences for any of his bullshit. He'll get to die a wealthy, free man.

I really, really hope I end up eating crow on this, but absolutely nothing in this country's history allows me to believe that Trump will face any kind of justice.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
We need some kind of Captcha system that forces people to read more than just the title before they're allowed to doompost.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
It is a contrast to "lock her up" and all the variations.

But letting the DOJ do their thing better come with "bringing in an AG that wants Trump's head on a platter".

Doug Jones might be that guy.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
"Wont interfere with DOJ" is basically code for he's letting the wolves go after Trump
I don't understand how people are getting "won't interfere", with nothing will happen to Trump. The DOJ and states will handle things.

Biden should focus on the economy, lowering student loans, COVID-19, poor people and healthcare first and foremost. His presidency shouldn't be about Trump.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how people are getting "won't interfere", with nothing will happen to Trump. The DOJ and states will handle things.

Biden should focus on the economy, lowering student loans, COVID-19, poor people and healthcare first and foremost. His presidency shouldn't be about Trump.
Yup.

Plus Biden is probably going to CTRL+Z all of Trump's executive orders at lightspeed anyway, so he's going to be doing his part to hurt Trump.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Four years of the president shouting "Lock him/her up!" caused a lot of you to forget that's not how it's suppose to work, huh?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Biden already said this months ago that's hes not going to be involved at all in any legal action against wheter against Trump or not. The only way he would get involved if Trump doesn't physically leave the white house

Also don't act shock if nothing happens to Trump besides a slap on the wrist.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
there's gonna be no prosecution. doj independence is not gonna save accountibility. no one wants to set a precedent of prosecuting outgoing administrations.

They already got the message loud and clear after the Civil War... and after Nixon... and after GWB... and after Obama...

How many times does the US have to go through this before its learns its damn lesson?

lmao, I wonder how quick into a Biden admin we get this article. Took Bams about 3 months after inauguration.

www.cbsnews.com

Aide: Obama Won't Prosecute Bush Officials

Masterminds, Not Just Underlings, Will Be Immune From Justice For Illegal Torture Policies
President Barack Obama does not intend to prosecute Bush administration officials who devised the policies that led to the harsh interrogation of suspected terrorists, White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel said Sunday.

Obama last week authorized the release of a series of memos detailing the methods approved under President George W. Bush. In an accompanying statement, he said "it is our intention to assure those who carried out their duties relying in good faith upon legal advice from the Department of Justice, that they will not be subject to prosecution." He did not specifically address the policymakers.

Asked Sunday on ABC's "This Week" about the fate of those officials, Emanuel said the president believes they "should not be prosecuted either and that's not the place that we go."
The decision not to seek charges against the interrogators has been criticized by the American Civil Liberties Union and called a violation of international law by the U.N.'s top torture investigator.

In his statement last week, the president said: "This is a time for reflection, not retribution. I respect the strong views and emotions that these issues evoke. We have been through a dark and painful chapter in our history. But at a time of great challenges and disturbing disunity, nothing will be gained by spending our time and energy laying blame for the past."

dejavumatrix.gif

Going to be a fun couple years.