• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.nbcnews.com

As Texas deep freeze subsides, some households now face electricity bills as high as $10,000

“The last thing an awful lot of people need right now is a higher electric bill — and that’s unfortunately something a lot of people will get stuck with."
As the Texas power grid collapsed under a historic winter storm, Jose Del Rio of Haltom City, in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, saw the electricity bill on a vacant two-bedroom home he is trying to sell slowly creep up over the past two weeks. Typically, the bill is around $125 to $150 a month, he said. But his account has already been charged about $630 this month — and he still owes another $2,600.

"If worse comes to worst, I have the ability to put it on a credit card or figure something out," Del Rio said. "There is no one living in that house. All the lights are off. But I have the air at 60 because I don't want the pipes to freeze."

When he contacted Griddy, his electric company, they advised him to switch providers, Del Rio said.

Griddy's prices are controlled by the market, and are therefore vulnerable to sudden swings in demand. With the extreme weather, energy usage has soared, pushing up wholesale power prices to more than $9,000 per megawatt hour — compared to the seasonal average of $50 per megawatt hour.

In the face of the soaring costs, Griddy has been directing consumers to consider temporarily switching electricity providers to save on their bills.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT, which manages power for about 90 percent of the state's electric load, was unprepared for the frigid conditions of the past two weeks: The primary electric grid was hit with off-the-charts demand for power as Texans tried to heat their homes — demand that outpaced utility officials' highest estimates for an extreme peak load.
Reliant Energy spokesperson Megan Talley told NBC News that it is offering flexible bill payment options to support customers impacted by the storm. It said customers should contact the company directly "so we can work with them through this difficult time."

Oncor Electric Delivery, which distributes wholesale electricity for Reliant Energy, did not respond to NBC News' request for comment.

Texas laws protect consumers from companies exploiting natural disasters for profit, but it is unclear if those laws can be extended to protect electric customers slapped with large bills, said Keegan Warren-Clem, a managing attorney at the nonprofit Texas Legal Services Center.

Federal programs such as the low-income housing energy assistance program might protect energy customers who qualify from the high charges, she said. If they don't qualify for the federal program, a customer can look into bill assistance programs through charities or churches, she said.

"There are limited options available in the absence of action at the state level to provide consistent relief," Warren-Clem said.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Price you pay for a deregulated grid, obviously sucks but that's part of the deal when you're paying on demand pricing for power.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
So is this a Texas thing or something specific to that electric company?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
10153684.jpg

Asshole.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Well both because Texas allows it. But basically Griddy's thing is that you buy electricity at wholesale prices which is usually cheaper than other providers. The catch is you're at the mercy of the market. So when wholesale prices are allowed to skyrocket in a disaster, you get this.

Most other electricity providers, you pay a fixed rate for the term of your contract.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

time based pricing models exist in other areas as well but I believe there are limitations elsewhere. Surge pricing to this extreme I'm not sure. It certainly wouldn't be possible without the deregulated market in Texas.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know it worked like that there... Surreal...
Well both because Texas allows it. But basically Griddy's thing is that you buy electricity at wholesale prices which is usually cheaper than other providers. The catch is you're at the mercy of the market. So when wholesale prices are allowed to skyrocket in a disaster, you get this.

Most other electricity providers, you pay a fixed rate for the term of your contract.
Thanks for the explanation

Mahomies

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
As a customer you can choose which power company you sign up for. They tell you your rate and if it's locked or market pricing. The customers chose the ability for Griddy to give cheaper energy most of the time and neglected the off chance that the market would have done this. At the same time the US has rules for exploitation these events, and that's obviously what happened here, it didn't go from $50 to $100, it went to $1000 and beyond, what Gamestop stock was supposed to do.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
God damn.

Well looks like I am in the clear. I am locked at it some rate. I don't know how it really works honestly. But I owe 27 dollars for the week.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i'm not looking forward to getting the bill. but i'm just gonna say, right fucking now, if it's anything close to that number in the OP, i ain't paying that shit

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017

As a customer you can choose which power company you sign up for. They tell you your rate and if it's locked or market pricing. The customers chose the ability for Griddy to give cheaper energy most of the time and neglected the off chance that the market would have done this. At the same time the US has rules for exploitation these events, and that's obviously what happened here, it didn't go from $50 to $100, it went to $1000 and beyond, what Gamestop stock was supposed to do.

This is basically it. Who needs a retail power company hedging and building reserves? I can handle market pricing. It's a sure thing! Oops the hand of the market is now inside my rectum and what the fuck is it doing there? Where have my below retail rates gone?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's not like people were forced into this. People literally went to a company and signed up for this fucking deal thinking it was cheaper.
To be fair, Griddy is pretty visible with their advertising talking about the wonders of their cheaper prices. Of course people would be intrigued by that. And given these companies are mostly the same just basically with different signup incentives, I'm sure many didn't understand what could happen.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Paying market price for electricity. Certainly risky to have a flow open with no price controls.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
It's not like people were forced into this. People literally went to a company and signed up for this fucking deal thinking it was cheaper.
Yes but let's not dismiss that the officials in the state have been preaching about the evils of regulations for years. Not to mention, the kind of people that sign up for something like this will likely be disapportinately poorer folks, desperately trying to save every buck they can.

I don't think we need to blame anybody here when I don't think anybody could have predicted $2000 a day electric bills. Even Griddy themselves are saying it's actually not their fault and the fault of politicians, seemingly.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying you are necessarily blaming folks, I'm just countering the narrative I'm seeing that it's their own fault, so they should deal with it. When the system and leaders in Texas have been preying on people long enough for them to think something like this would be a good idea. Then you have the more desperate people without much of a choice.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Griddy's prices are controlled by the market, and are therefore vulnerable to sudden swings in demand. With the extreme weather, energy usage has soared, pushing up wholesale power prices to more than $9,000 per megawatt hour — compared to the seasonal average of $50 per megawatt hour.
I feel like someone should go to prison for this. Not entirely sure who, but yeah. Somebody needs to serve some jail time for this.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You guys pay WHAT for electricity??? :o

I'm never ever complaining again about the regulated service on my country.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I live in upstate NY, but like 2 times a year I get someone coming to my house trying to get me to change electricity providers. They are like "sign 3 papers, you'll save money!!" I always turn them away because I see door to door salesmen as sketchy and my electric bills are fine but I wonder if they are selling a scheme like this.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like someone should go to prison for this. Not entirely sure who, but yeah. Somebody needs to serve some jail time for this.
LOL.

Wall Street denigrates tanked the global economy in 2008 and nothing happened. Heck they were rewarded mostly. Sadly, nothing will happen here.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The power companies around here (city-owned) specifically addressed this in a release, reiterating that our rates are fixed, per city ordinance, and always have been. Our bills might go up from extra usage, but the rate itself won't change.