• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Typically NBA2K is largely ignore by the general gaming community and the gaming press. However in the last 2 years, the gaming community has begain to notice their gross VC/MTX encroachment into the basic core concepts of the game, this has been accompanied with "back page articles" from some press. However it only happens at the release of the game, then all goes quiet again.

Compare and contrast that with the attention of Fallout 76 (which granted has multiple issues at multiple levels), and RDR2 Online (Which largely gets a pass due to darling developers, and a critically acclaim single player campaign, even though they share a parent company with NBA2K/Visual concept)

Back to the topic at hand: Yesterday for Christmas, NBA2K "gifted" a MyTeam Pack to the community that resulted in a permanent Pink Diamond (read: super rare) Lebron James card. This was the case for about 10 hours. Apparently that was a "mistake" so anyone who redeemed that pack after 10 hours only recited a temp Lebron James card. Nothing wrong with that if that was the end of it.

So what was the scrooge move: Like a thief in the night NBA2K/Take Two silently removed all of the Pink Diamond Lebron James card from those that received it through the Christmas Pack, however lots off people applied legitimately owned "buffs" to the card that were also taking by NBA2K/Take Two scummy move. These buffs consist of things like: shoes that raise your stats (lots of people use super rare diamond shoes which raised them permanently), and contracts (and F2P tactic 2K uses), an item that allows you to even use the card (lots of people used rare Diamond Contracts which gives you infinite uses).

I dont really play MyTeam, but I do play MyCareer which is plague by MTX decision, but after this year Im done with the game unless a lot changes. And I have been playing since the Dreamcast days. I was able to work around the MTX though its getting harder and harder to compete, but what took me out is the lack of matchmaking in the online mode, which I still can believe this game doesnt have

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sounds like a dick move

It's such a shame that sports games are pretty much trash these days because of the need to stuff them full of and build them around MXTs

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck NBA 2K. I've been saying that since last year's version that ruined myCareer mode for the first time ever with that VC grinding bullshit. I made the switch to NBA Live this year, and I'm happy with their Career mode. Leveling up is faster and there aren't constant ads pressuring you to buy VC for anything you don't want. Hell, even the loot boxes you get are earned instead of bought through MTX. Hopefully the gameplay gets improved for next year's version so that more people move away from 2K.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Well they have a monopoly and the game is built into the subculture of several communities so good luck with that.

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
2k already got a lot of shit for their BS in 2k18 and yet 2k19 is still largely a shitshow in terms of monetization and Visual Concepts not respecting people's time with its pay to win economy. Fact is, despite the backlash, 2k is still seeing strong performance for nba 2k and it just shows that their playerbase are largely okay with this shit.

It's their consumers who need to rise up, amd vote with their money. Because the way they're voting just shows 2k can fuck them over and suffer no consequences.

I've been a long time 2k player, since the Dreamcast, and bought the game religiously at launch til 2k18. This year I waited for a sale, played it for a week - saw that it was still largely shit (with even the core gameplay suffering from some bad decisions this year) and sold the game immediately.

2k used to be a shining example of sports gaming done right, but now it's just a sad posterboy for the pitfalls of AAA gaming and predatory monetization practices.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
Polygon's sports game of the year folks....

I haven't bought an NBA 2K game in a couple of years. I never cared for MyCareer mode. I mainly used to play franchise mode and online multiplayer. I was mostly irked by how bad the servers were and how long it took for matchmaking. The MTX shenanigans were just another reason for me to stop buying the game altogether. It's not going to stop, it's just going to get worse. Most people that buy the game every year don't care about this.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's unfortunate, but doesn't seem like a big issue. It's also not directly related to MTX. What I mean is, it would be no different to a game putting out new weapons for free and due to a bug the weapon is 100% more powerful than it should be, so they remove it from the game, and if gamers had mods applied to the gun they lose those too. Maybe it's non-trivial to restore mods to a players inventory. It's not ideal, I can understand some gamers being upset, but there are surely more invasive MTX issues to focus on.

OP
OP
Justified

Justified

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Thats pretty evil but the customers need to rise up not us

I think Take Two is beyond customer outrage forcing them to change, they are motivated by NBA2K MTX, GTA Online MTX, and now RDR2 Online MTX being added to the fold.

All 3 of these games are Highly Praised by the media, despite customers disgust with the mtx implementation and focus. And enough Whales to keep them unconcerned.

It unfortunately wont stop until the press prints non stop (when deserving) negative articles covering it. See EA with BattleFront II

It's unfortunate, but doesn't seem like a big issue. It's also not directly related to MTX. What I mean is, it would be no different to a game putting out new weapons for free and due to a bug the weapon is 100% more powerful than it should be, so they remove it from the game, and if gamers had mods applied to the gun they lose those too. Maybe it's non-trivial to restore mods to a players inventory. It's not ideal, I can understand some gamers being upset, but there are surely more invasive MTX issues to focus on.

I can agree that looking at this one issue on its own isnt "super egregious", but the mentality Take Two has and how they approach this is the larger issue

Last edited:

Natsunoyuutsu

Oct 28, 2017
Brought 2k14 back when ps4 launch, saw the VC for the first time and it's easily predictable that where this is going, never went back to that series or FIFA or any games in similar situation. Loved to play 2k on DC or PES on ps with friends, but those days have changed.
Stop playing those gross games. There're still games available out there that deserve supports. It may not mean much but because that's the only way to influence, starts from yourself.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why people still buy these games I'll never know. F2P mechanics in a $60 game. I remember when I started franchise mode in '16 I believe and had to use VC to unlock the ability to directly edit my own team' s lineup. I was done at that point.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
There have been countless warnings about terrible MTX in sports games (NBA, FIFA etc) yet there are people that buy those games and support these business decisions.

The market has spoken but it continues to be asleep.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I think Take Two is beyond customer outrage forcing them to change, they are motivated by NBA2K MTX, GTA Online MTX, and now RDR2 Online MTX being added to the fold.

All 3 of these games are Highly Praised by the media, despite customers disgust with the mtx implementation and focus. And enough Whales to keep them unconcerned.

It unfortunately wont stop until the press prints non stop (when deserving) negative articles covering it. See EA with BattleFront II

I agree about the press needing to be more critical of them. But I doubt the core audience for these titles would affected by gaming press takedowns. I'll leave it to Take Two to c
I didnt buy RDR2 because I saw mtx coming. Like that

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Same thing with FIFA and Madden too I guess.

It might be a better situation in the NHL and MLB games, though I wouldn't know, anyone here who plays those games knows if the situation is better there?

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Same thing with FIFA and Madden too I guess.

It might be a better situation in the NHL and MLB games, though I wouldn't know, anyone here who plays those games knows if the situation is better there?

For NHL, it's probably the Ultimate Team mode or whatever. The Be A Pro (my career type of thing) not so much, because playing that is rng and abusing cheese shit for goals.

The Show has it's own Diamond Dynasty; I haven't played in years, but I don't remember it being an issue personally since they were generous. But that may have changed.

2k is just the worst offender of the bunch. But Madden and Fifa Ultimate Team are up there.

OP
OP
Justified

Justified

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
There have been countless warnings about terrible MTX in sports games (NBA, FIFA etc) yet there are people that buy those games and support these business decisions.

The market has spoken but it continues to be asleep.

True, but in NBA2K case, there wasnt any competition if you wanted a basketball game, now the NBA Live is back its slowly becoming a 2nd option.

And until 2K18, MTX was there, but it was easy to ignore. Last year, and especially this year, you can still ignore it, but will suffer in your enjoyment.

So its easy to say "just dont buy it" if you are a non sports games fan, but for those of us who are, whats our alternative?

Last edited:

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
True, but in NBA2K case, there wasnt any competition if you wanted a basketball game, now the NBA Live is back its slowly becoming a 2nd option.

And until 2K18, MTX was there, but it was easy to ignore. Last year, and especially this year, you can still ignore it, but will suffer in your enjoyment.

So its easy to say "just dont buy it" if you are a non sports games fan, but for those of us who are, whats our alternative?

I am not saying "dont buy it" but i think most of the people that bought it knew where they are going and what they had to deal with.

But yes there isn't any alternative since the only other option is to stop being a sports games fan anymore.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Play the old games? And it's not like you need these games to survive anyway.

The only way EA and Take 2 will ever change is when consumers stop tolerating their bullshit.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Moral of the story: stop buying these mtx ridden games. Fucking hell just reading how the system works in general is bad enough, but this just seems to be the cherry on top.

I know its the only game in town but at what point do you throw your hands up and walk away. Stuff like this is the reason my friends and I haven't bought a sports game since N64 lol. Sorry OP, I don't think enough of the marks are going to complain loud enough for anything to be done, sadly.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Love 2k basketball, but yeah, they're over the top with the MTX. It's disgusting. No surprise that they'd do this.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Well reading the Reddit it seemed like the Code was Leaked anyone, so it weren't meant to be so widespread as it got.

That's probably why they took them all away.

Hope people get their buffs back though.

Oct 27, 2017
It's been my opinion for a while that nothing will be done until the larger outlets make this a big deal.

Star Wars got this treatment and it literally changed the game. But places like IGN will shout louder for Shawdow of War over sports titles with orders of magnitude worse practices.

Average consumers don't know the deceptiveness of this like an enthusiast forum like ours. Media needs to do a better job protecting.

Deleted member 13250

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Typically NBA2K is largely ignore by the general gaming community and the gaming press.
Haha joke post? sorry but one of the best selling games of the year isn't largely ignored by the general gaming community. Some of you need to appreciate the broader perspective of gaming and not just the typical forum views that circulate between a few thousand of you, compared to the millions that actually bought the game.
Luckily the people that do play the game and are actually IN the games, like Shakedown, bring up these same issues and have an 'in' with the devs.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The audiences don't care. They either love the MTX stuff in games like NBA or FIFA, or buy the game to play simple exhibitions with friends and are unaffected by them. All of the press exposes in the world aren't going to matter if the consumers of these games feel like they are getting what they signed up for. You can't force people to be outraged at business practices they don't mind.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Good lord Take Two, just let the people keep the rewards from YOUR screw up. Why do people put up with this garbage?

Well reading the Reddit it seemed like the Code was Leaked anyone, so it weren't meant to be so widespread as it got.

Wait, there was a code involved? It wasn't just a free pack when you load the game?

Cladyclad

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Most people who have issue with 2K don't even play it. Online is just one of the many modes in the game. No other game is as deep as 2k. It's not even a question on what sports game is the most true to life. The game only gets better every year

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
These things generally go under the radar because a lot of gaming outlets don't cover sports games. I too play every genre except sports titles so it doesn't surprise me. No matter how popular these games are with the general public, they have the quietest voice within video game sites and forums. If this were something like a Star Wars shooter there would be outrage. Ty for bringing this to light op, because this is a super shady practice.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Good lord Take Two, just let the people keep the rewards from YOUR screw up. Why do people put up with this garbage?

Wait, there was a code involved? It wasn't just a free pack when you load the game?

Not sure to be honest:

His video on it:

On Twitter, he used this analogy: https://mobile.twitter.com/ItsShake4ndbake/status/1077795848258535424

Imagine a store has a coupon misprint for a Free TV with a DVD Player, you capitalize on there misprint and get for free. Then later that night they come to your house rob your TV and the 100 dollars worth of DVDs you also bought for it. Basically what happened here

So no, the OP said they gifted it when it weren't really 2K who gave the card to everyone, it just seemed like one of the One-Use Only codes was able to be used more than once?

Last edited:

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Average consumers don't know the deceptiveness of this like an enthusiast forum like ours.

People don't care, they want basketball and football and soccer. Also, let's be honest, like 1% of Resetera users play these games on a daily basis. Look at the comments here...people act like these games have zero importance outside of MTX. NBA 2K and Madden in particular have huge subculture followings that super-cede the games themselves. Movie theater food is way overpriced and they prevent you from bringing in your own stuff...doesn't stop people from getting the large combo before they watch Spider-Verse.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
the microtransactions are part of the reason why the game has a terrible user rating on steam.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017

NBA Live becoming a second option...is that a joke? The mindshare isn't even close. And come on, NBA 2K isn't forcing people to use MTX, because...

Most people who have issue with 2K don't even play it. Online is just one of the many modes in the game. No other game is as deep as 2k. It's not even a question on what sports game is the most true to life. The game only gets better every year

Many people don't even touch MTX. The just play single player or with friends. And nice sneaker icon...one of the subcultures I was referring to...if you are a sneaker head, this is the best game of all time basically.

And guess what, the people that do MTX? If EA/Take Two removes it...they will find you and cut you LOL...

The audiences don't care. They either love the MTX stuff in games like NBA or FIFA, or buy the game to play simple exhibitions with friends and are unaffected by them. All of the press exposes in the world aren't going to matter if the consumers of these games feel like they are getting what they signed up for. You can't force people to be outraged at business practices they don't mind.

OP
OP
Justified

Justified

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta

It wasn't leaked. It was a 1 of many codes 2K have gifted over the life of the game. After 10 hours of the permanent card be rewarded they switch it to a free agent or temp card

Last edited:

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
the consumers of 2k19 don't give a shit..................its only going to get worse

Let them spend thousands till they realize how stupid they are.

Only buy 2k if you are interested in the myleague or mygm modes.........otherwise wait for massive sale

This is coming from someone with a legit 89 shot creator who has spend god knows how many hours to grind my ass there. NBA Live is a much better career experience.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Cards and buffs?

Damn when did NBA 2k turn into like a superhero game with buffs and shit, the fuck

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It wasn't leaked. It was a 1 of many codes 2K have gifted over the life of the game. After 10 hours of the permanent card be rewarded the switch it to a free agent or temp card

Apologies, it just seemed that way because of all the things I saw one Twitter.

Still confusing.

OP
OP
Justified

Justified

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
So the gist I get from most in here is "oh well just accepted it, because the audience doesnt care" which sucks since I and many other are apart of the audience. Then its well just play the Single Player/MyGM modes which also sucks since I enjoy the online competition and being able to play quick games instead of 4 quarters mostly.

Its either get with it or get gone, never thought I would see the defeatist attitude when it comes to MTX. Especially when it so close to excellent games like GTAV and RDR2. Granted their base campaigns are more than enough to satisfy, but so far when seen GT Online stealing support form GTAV (no Single player DLC), and I wouldnt be shocked if RDR2 suffers the same faith.

Basically Take Two gets called out, but a gets a pass since half the game should be enough : /

Oct 27, 2017

Just don't buy it. I was big into 2K but the MTX got to be too much so I had to drop it. I miss playing basketball video games but I value my time more.
Play the old games? And it's not like you need these games to survive anyway.

The only way EA and Take 2 will ever change is when consumers stop tolerating their bullshit.
Pretty much. Hurt the wallet, hurt the beast.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I play a ton of 2k mostly in the My Career mode.. I HATE the push for VC and the fact that everything is based on it. I love the gameplay and honestly there is no real good competition for the on court play so many of us feel stuck and all we can do is not buy their coins and hope that we can grind it out. It is getting harder every year though as they have layers and layers on top of this VC shit.

2K has been so shitty with this series but you know what.. they do it because a ton of people buy their VC... until that stops they wont change a thing other than to make it more tempting to spend real money.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I sometimes forget the 2K can be just as bad, if not worse than EA at times. Hopefully 2019 will bring better days. Maybe not too much, but considering the steps taken this year against Microtransactions, next year certainly might bring some fun changes that they aren't going to like hopefully.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
So the gist I get from most in here is "oh well just accepted it, because the audience doesnt care" which sucks since I and many other are apart of the audience. Then its well just play the Single Player/MyGM modes which also sucks since I enjoy the online competition and being able to play quick games instead of 4 quarters mostly.

Its either get with it or get gone, never thought I would see the defeatist attitude when it comes to MTX. Especially when it so close to excellent games like GTAV and RDR2. Granted their base campaigns are more than enough to satisfy, but so far when seen GT Online stealing support form GTAV (no Single player DLC), and I wouldnt be shocked if RDR2 suffers the same faith.

Basically Take Two gets called out, but a gets a pass since half the game should be enough : /
This is the biggest takeaway from my perspective. Most of Resetera isn't opposed to microtransactions per se, they're opposed to microtransactions in games they like or games Jim Sterling tells them to hate. It's a highly selective form of concern/paternalism that most here are perfectly happy to tolerate if it doesn't affect them directly.

Sports games don't fit the bill, so don't expect many comments here or follow-up threads complaining about 2K. I wouldn't let that stop you from trying to spread the word through other avenues, if you are bothered by these practices.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Thats pretty evil but the customers need to rise up not us

Some of us here are the customers. I haven't bought a 2K game in several years despite really loving the series. There's really no legit alternative out there for people who love NBA sims (Live ain't it), so boycotting it is as useless as boycotting Facebook.

This won't be fixed until there's so legit competition, and unfortunately EA of all companies is the only one even trying.

My pipe dream is that Sony gets back into the game and puts out a hoops series of equal quality to The Show.