• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If you trade Booker to the Nets and aren't able to resign Ayton (or somehow replace him with comparative value), then a team with KD, CP3, Bridges, Johnson, and smaller role players is absolutely not a championship team unless everything goes perfectly. KD and CP3 are in perfect health and not worn down, and both Bridges and Johnson take a solid step forward.

Now if the Suns were to sign and trade Ayton to the Nets and retain Booker, yeah that team is pretty scary.

So what you're saying is that the team isn't winning everything even if they keep Booker if they lose Ayton. Not sure why ownership doesn't agree (or care).

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe for a few years if he can stay healthy. And that's a BIG if. The guy is 33. Meanwhile Booker is 25 and finished 4th on the MVP voting and also made the Finals more recently than any Durant team has.

To give away the future like that you would have to KNOW you are getting at least one ring out of Durant and there is no way to guarantee that.

This. Don't sacrifice your future by trading a young superstar for an aging one.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
KD on the Suns without Booker are not winning a ring. And that's assuming that KD doesn't want to come to the Suns and play with Booker.
You take this shot fam. Other players will want to come this year and next. PHX might not get a real shot at rings for 30 years one Paul officially fades. Get one now and nothing else will matter to that fan base. They won't even remember Book's name. We damn sure don't think of Wiggins in Cleveland. We got a legendary set of rings to keep us happy forever.

You get KD now and figure out the rest. That should be the dream problem for an exec. If Kyrie and Harden weren't head cases the Nets would have had at least one set of rings already. Go get KD.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This. Don't sacrifice your future by trading a young superstar for an aging one.
The disrespect for KD's game and the difficulty of winning Chips is great in this post. Book and KD are not equivalent stars. I'll say that again:

KD >>> Book.
Superstar KD != Star Book.
KD's worst season > Book's best season

Again, do you want rings or not? You take this shot and roll the dice with one of the best talents to ever play the game. This isn't even a debate for teams that understand how hard it is to win. You do what it takes.

Riley would sell any player on the Heat off. If PHX misses out here they will fade back into obscurity in the next 2 or 3 years, the best talent will leave and what could have been is all that fan base will be left with.

Suns been in win now mode since they signed CP3 2 years ago. Idk why people should care about the future at this point.
Seriously.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
1. KD on a 4-yr deal means the Nets can demand every good player you have AND picks, ain't shit a team can argue.

2. KD trying to force his way to a contender because the Nets didn't bend the knee to Kyrie after all of his bullshit is worse than anything I've ever seen. I'm speechless. Really dude? You need to jump to a ready-made chip squad now?

3. The owners are coming for blood at CBA negotiation time. Might as well start the lockout now.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
You have to trade Booker if it means 2 years of KD before he quits on the team and demands a trade

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Boston radio's Adam Jones thinks that the Celtics would be stupid to not try and get KD, which basically confirms it would be a terrible idea.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Suns been in win now mode since they signed CP3 2 years ago. Idk why people should care about the future at this point.

If the Suns stand pat, they are almost certainly going to be worse than they were the last 2 years (CP3 will be older, Ayton will be gone) and its going to increasingly look like their championship window was 2021 and it passed them by. Devin Booker is a really good player, but once CP3 is gone all of a sudden Booker's Suns (with a shit owner) start to look a lot like Brad Beal's Wizards. You take a shot at a title when it presents itself, and KD gives you a much better chance at a title right now than Devin Booker.

People go crazy over these "championship windows" thinking when you have a good young player you'll contend for 10+ years when we have mountains of evidence especially recently that this isn't the case. Most teams windows, even young teams, are a couple of years.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
2. KD trying to force his way to a contender because the Nets didn't bend the knee to Kyrie after all of his bullshit is worse than anything I've ever seen. I'm speechless. Really dude? You need to jump to a ready-made chip squad now?
Requested the #1 seeded teams in both conferences. Warriors chipping this year really got him shook.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
4th in MVP voting at 25yrs old this year and took them to the finals the year before this one.

How is that overrating him? You all are acting like he is just some bum that can be easily replaced. He's not.
Can you name who came up 4th in MVP voting from any other NBA season? That isn'r even an achievement we record.

Boston radio's Adam Jones thinks that the Celtics would be stupid to not try and get KD, which basically confirms it would be a terrible idea.
I'd trade Tatum and Jaylen for KD like yesterday if the Nets would take the deal.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
He was 4th in the MVP voting mostly because Phoenix was far and away the best regular season teams and voters like to reward that. At the end of the day being 4th in the MVP voting doesn't actually mean shit. Now all of a sudden people want to latch on to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
If the Suns stand pat, they are almost certainly going to be worse than they were the last 2 years (CP3 will be older, Ayton will be gone) and its going to increasingly look like their championship window was 2021 and it passed them by. Devin Booker is a really good player, but once CP3 is gone all of a sudden Booker's Suns (with a shit owner) start to look a lot like Brad Beal's Wizards. You take a shot at a title when it presents itself, and KD gives you a much better chance at a title right now than Devin Booker.

People go crazy over these "championship windows" thinking when you have a good young player you'll contend for 10+ years when we have mountains of evidence especially recently that this isn't the case. Most teams windows, even young teams, are a couple of years.
You understand.

Bron and the Warriors runs got people thinking you can get to the Finals as often as you want to. PHX gonna find out some hard realities if they fail to make this opportunity happen.

Requested the #1 seeded teams in both conferences. Warriors chipping this year really got him shook.
I don't imagine a finals MVP and regular season MVP would have interest in rebuilding projects. Further, it's clear both #1 regular season seeds have glaring problems that KD is uniquely qualified to address.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The Suns 2nd best player is a 38 year old point guard what future?

They also aren't trying to build around CP3. They know he's almost done. Booker is a centerpiece to build around like Giannis, Jokic, and Embiid. I've always been of the opinion that you don't trade a guy like that, you bring in someone like a KD.

The disrespect for KD's game and the difficulty of winning Chips is great in this post. Book and KD are not equivalent stars. I'll say that again:

KD >>> Book.
Superstar KD != Star Book.
KD's worst season > Book's best season

Again, do you want rings or not? You take this shot and roll the dice with one of the best talents to ever play the game. This isn't even a debate for teams that understand how hard it is to win. You do what it takes.

Riley would sell any player on the Heat off. If PHX misses out here they will fade back into obscurity in the next 2 or 3 years, the best talent will leave and what could have been is all that fan base will be left with.

Seriously.

That's why you don't trade someone like Booker, but you trade anyone else to get someone like KD to play with him.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

Only thing that makes me somewhat charitable there is KD just came off an achilles injury and may just feel his time is very limited.

Having said that, he did the same thing after OKC, and his presence on social media and willingness to defy every random 5 follower twitter troll speaks volume. We know he takes all criticism very personally. He's clearly taking all the recent Steph Curry and Charles Barkley shit some type of way.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
3. The owners are coming for blood at CBA negotiation time. Might as well start the lockout now.
This is 100% happening. They are going to get some kind of guarantees in the next CBA. The way players have been able to just say "fuck you and fuck the contract I signed I want out because reasons" in recent years has been crazy bad for the team side of things. There is no consistency or stability.

The owners will definitely go after something to help mitigate that.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The team that wins the championship is usually the team that has everything go perfectly or closer to perfectly than anyone else. That is a baked in risk for every team. Having players like KD are what help mitigate that risk.

Yeah but CP3 is old with a history of injuries and KD isn't exactly a young iron man either. It's asking a lot for those two guys to anchor a team with two sub-all star players and some role players. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but realistically the Suns probably wouldn't be a top 5 championship caliber team. If CP3 falls off a cliff or just gets injured this thing could turn sour really, really quickly in a way it likely wounding keeping the young guys together.

Granted I think the Suns are stupid for not paying Ayton which complicates this more.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'd trade Tatum and Jaylen for KD like yesterday if the Nets would take the deal.

I think that's way too risky. Breaking up the young core of a team who just made it to the finals for an older player who has trouble staying on the court?

I don't think that would work out. And it doesn't seem like he would even want to be in Boston anyway.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
1. KD on a 4-yr deal means the Nets can demand every good player you have AND picks, ain't shit a team can argue.

Yup, lets not forget the Nets paid him huge money to rehab for 1.5 years. Come on breh.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
So what you're saying is that the team isn't winning everything even if they keep Booker if they lose Ayton. Not sure why ownership doesn't agree (or care).

If they lose Ayton and don't replace him with comparable value, it's hard to see the Suns as a strong championship caliber team. If they lose Ayton and trade Booker for KD, unless they get a quality player on top of that, it's hard to see the Suns as a top 5 championship caliber team unless we assume everything breaks for them - which given the history of CP3 and to a degree KD isn't something I am willing to do.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's Kevin Fucking Durant! This is a top 12-15 player all time who is under contract for 4 more seasons. Booker isn't even a Superstar.
He is also 33yrs old and can't stay on the court for a full season. He missed 27 games last season and got swept out of the first round by the Celtics with Kyrie next to him.

Are you seriously going to sit there with a straight face and tell me that Durant is going to get a ring in Phoenix playing next to the corpse of CP3 and what ever is left after they give up things to get Durant?

You are dreaming. The Suns would be crazy to give up Booker and whatever else the Nets want just to end up in that situation.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think that's way too risky. Breaking up the young core of a team who just made it to the finals for an older player who has trouble staying on the court?

I don't think that would work out. And it doesn't seem like he would even want to be in Boston anyway.
KD had generally been very healthy and was excellent this year. You gotta risk it for the biscuit. KD + something for Brown and Tatum. Boston wouldn't say no. Not after how shook and terrible they looked in the Finals.

Are you seriously going to sit there with a straight face and tell me that Durant is going to get a ring in Phoenix playing next to the corpse of CP3 and what ever is left after they give up things to get Durant?
They would ABSOLUY have a better chance than what they have now, and at any point in the foreseeable future. So yes. And stop acting like they won't be acquiring more talent. You're being weird.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
He is also 33yrs old and can't stay on the court for a full season. He missed 27 games last season and got swept out of the first round by the Celtics with Kyrie next to him.

You are dreaming. The Suns would be crazy to give up Booker and whatever else the Nets want just to end up in that situation.

I'm sorry but you're just off on this one my friend. You absolutely trade Booker for KD every day of the week and twice on every day ending in Y.

The name of the game is winning championships. Period. "Building for the future" doesn't work unless you pull a GSW and manage an uncommonly good draft haul.

Championship windows are tiny at the best of times, and KD was a top 3 player in the league last season.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
KD had generally been very healthy and was excellent this year. You gotta risk it for the biscuit. KD + something for Brown and Tatum. Boston wouldn't say no. Not after how shook and terrible they looked in the Finals.

I don't really understand the "they looked terrible in the Finals" argument when KD and the Nets got swept in the first round ... by the Celtics.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto

The Suns have a higher chance of winning a championship in the future with KD and what's left/acquired than they do with Devin Booker. A declining KD is still better than Booker. The Suns window was effectively CLOSED until 4 hours ago when KD demanded a trade. You gotta take your chances as a franchise, especially when a player of KD's caliber is available for the next 4 years.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The Suns have a higher chance of winning a championship in the future with KD and what's left/acquired than they do with Devin Booker. A declining KD is still better than Booker. The Suns window was effectively CLOSED until 4 hours ago when KD demanded a trade. You gotta take your chances as a franchise, especially when a player of KD's caliber is available for the next 4 years.
Agree to disagree I guess. Because I don't see that at all.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but you're just off on this one my friend. You absolutely trade Booker for KD every day of the week and twice on every day ending in Y.

The name of the game is winning championships. Period. "Building for the future" doesn't work unless you pull a GSW and manage an uncommonly good draft haul.

Championship windows are tiny at the best of times, and KD was a top 3 player in the league last season.

But what titles has KD won when he wasn't on the Warriors? The man has only been to the finals once without them back with prime Westbrook and Harden.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward seeing the young superstar Booker playing this year with an already retiring CP3 and no Ayton.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
But what titles has KD won when he wasn't on the Warriors? The man has only been to the finals once without them back with prime Westbrook and Harden.

Yeah but there have always been extenuating circumstances, whether it was injuries or just max contract teammates being much worse at basketball than he is or just not bothering to play. I'm not really willing to lay it all at KD's feet as the popular feeling is.

I am however willing to totally mock him for once again running to another team, particularly a front-runner, especially after he staunchly came to Kyrie's defense post-Harden.

The worst job KD could ever have is being the general manager of a team. He has like negative points in leadership quality, however you want to define that.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

You have brought me balance on this dark day.

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
Is the Booker for KD talk irrelevant now that he signed the max with the Suns? I have read he can't be traded now

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Once we determine who is the only star in nba history to win a ring on a team that wasn't good enough to win a ring we will know who the biggest non-fraud of all time is.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about Booker. I'm talking solely about KD winning titles when he wasn't on a stacked team like the Warriors.

This is getting pathetic, really. There is roasting KD for getting swept this season and there is being ... completely blind at his quality as a basketball player. One of the best scorers in the game, come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.