• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Interesting. Curious if the league made any concessions, or if this is just the players deciding that playing ultimately gives them a bigger platform for the message than striking.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Don't know if related, but perhaps this was part of the concessions to be made (and really quick turnaround if it was)? Still important nonetheless.

Toyota Center in Houston will become a vote center this fall, per Rockets. Arena will be open to any registered voter in Harris County from Oct. 13-30 and on Election Day, Nov. 3. Hours of operation will run seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Hopefully because of the realization of the strength and influence of their platform to continue to be a leader in the world of sports to push for change and equality across the nation and eventually the world.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I imagine it must have been a difficult discussion. I would have supported them 100% if they walked but I wasn't sure if that action would have affected the change they wanted. I am curious to hear some individual player comments on the situation.

Hopefully the NBA and the teams use their influence to create an even larger platform to speak out on the issue while the playoffs continue.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
They were probably promised by the league that there would be more awareness initiatives going forward or something like that and while that is great and all a strike at poignant moments is more impactful imo.

DirtySprite3

Banned
Sep 13, 2019
I wouldn't of been mad if they decided to cancel as the pressure on them is immense rn. But thank goodness they decided to play cause I need Bron to get that ring 🙏🏾.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Sooooo are we playing today's games today? Another off day? I need more details lol

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully because of the realization of the strength and influence of their platform to continue to be a leader in the world of sports to push for change and equality across the nation and eventually the world.

Let's be realistic here, taking a night off only to continue means this will be forgotten about in a week. Cancelling a season is a lot more poignant than taking a game off.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
That stadium being a legal voting location is a pretty good concession.

This should be true of every stadium in every city/state, especially those that allow early in-person voting. Is there anything else that is being discussed?

I'm still very happy that they chose to do what they did yesterday - no amount of cynicism can change that they went on strike to make sure people didn't lose that energy/focus from this Summer.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
If the concession was that all of the players and owners came to an agreement that their home arenas would be used as voting centers, then great.

Even the league cancelling for one night got the point across even though I wouldn't have minded if they decided to cancel the season as well.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I doubt they are continuing because owners promised them bigger awareness posters. They were are pissed...they will be looking for much more.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Let's be realistic here, taking a night off only to continue means this will be forgotten about in a week. Cancelling a season is a lot more poignant than taking a game off.

Not if concession were made, and the fact that they know should something else happen and no meaningful action has been taken to exact the change requested, they can simply do this again.... and again... till they are taken seriously.

Just knowing that they got teams and or players from the WNBA, MLS, MLB, and Tennis to participate in some form or another, and even the attention of the NHL is a powerful position to be in. If the NBA simply withdraws from the daily media attention though a strike, I think they would naturally lose some of that leverage of being on TV near daily putting the issues at the forefront of all their media briefings.

Nov 9, 2017
I hoped they would boycott for the wake-up call it would send towards sports fans, but I guess this does raise awareness and also helps the Mavs get a little more healthy to try and take the Clips to a game 7 and redeem themselves from one of the worst losses I have ever seen.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
hopefully all arenas become voting locations for that district...selfishly b/c cities lean blue and if it gets a few more people to vote even if for the novelty of going into the arena, the better.

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
Of course it will. Too much $$$ at stake for everyone to risk another season lockout and new CBA. I like the idea of polling stations at every arena - not sure what else the league and teams can really do on police shootings themselves though.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda performative theater.

It probably got equal press to the RNC. Players outside the bubble are undoubtedly doing great things right now, but we're not really hearing about them at a national level. There's a lot of value in that and they should be applauded. I think there's also probably benefit to taking over news cycles and changing public opinion on this. Continuing to play gives a platform for the message that simply isn't available to players not in the spotlight. I think everyone needs to make that call for themselves.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
If the concession was that all of the players and owners came to an agreement that their home arenas would be used as voting centers, then great.

Even the league cancelling for one night got the point across even though I wouldn't have minded if they decided to cancel the season as well.

Yup this. Also FREE PARKING for everyone coming to vote. Would also be nice for free transportation vouchers as well.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I'm not a sports fan, but every black athlete in the major leagues of football, basketball, baseball and hockey, should go on strike, grind all the leagues to a halt.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017

Canceling the season is a news story for three weeks and then we're onto what new fresh hell awaits us in September.

Maybe if the US weren't also in the middle of the pandemic & facing down an election with an extraordinary existential threat attached to it there would be a lingering pressure. Instead while the NBA players are half-way deplatformed by the lack of media attention, there will be a negotiation happening in the background that comes to the same end as this seems to be now. Players return with some kind of investment by team owners.

Without the Clippers and Lakers?.....

Aight then, good luck.

The Lakers reps were the ones negotiating this late last night/early this morning. They'll both be back.

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Y'all really wanted to these leagues to stop, I'm down for supporting the players in whatever they choose. Don't victim shame them for not striking while not in their shoes.