• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biggest 1st round Fraud

• The Bulls

Votes: 24 3.8%
  • KD and Kyrie

Votes: 434 69.2%
  • Trae Young

Votes: 58 9.3%
  • Gobert and Mitchell

Votes: 46 7.3%
  • KAT

Votes: 16 2.6%
  • Raptors Announcers

Votes: 49 7.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the general consensus about when the quality falls off considerably in the draft? As a Pistons fan should I be massively disappointed if we get the 5th pick for example instead of top 3 or will we still get a great player?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the general consensus about when the quality falls off considerably in the draft? As a Pistons fan should I be massively disappointed if we get the 5th pick for example instead of top 3 or will we still get a great player?

This draft is pretty deep. I honestly don't think there's a ton of separation until you get to like 9 or 10. The top-4 are clear to me (Chet, Jabari, Paolo, and Ivey) but there's not a chasm between them and the next group (Griffin, Sharpe, Mathurin, etc.). I think it's obviously harder to pick, but you can still get someone with great potential outside of the top 3 or 4 here.

Oct 26, 2017

Top 3 is for guys who have reasonable star potential and will likely be high level role players (Chet, Jabari, Pablo)
4-5 is for ultra risky guys with star potential (Ivey, Shaedon Sharpe)
After is mostly role players but some could be high level role players

Ivey right now is Donovan Mitchell without a jumpshot which is..... extremely bad. But he could be Donovan Mitchell if he learns how to shoot.

Shaedon Sharpe has almost no high level experience as he's coming directly from high school and spent a lot of his last year in high school practicing with Kentucky instead of playing more games.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I would say if you land within top 7, you should be feeling good. Top 4 are Paolo/Jabari/Chet/Ivey. The next few guys (AJ Griffin, Sharpe, Murray) are good prospects. Obviously not as good as the top 3 but there should be some decent players.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
This is a dire 4 to find someone to root for. So I choose none. Long shot Luka winning I guess, but the Mavs like having George Bush in their arena.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying this just because the C's don't have a pick, but I'm really underwhelmed by the top of the draft. It doesn't mean they can't be great players, but Smith-Chet-Paolo might, from merely an athletic standpoint, be one of the least athletic top of the drafts ever. There's no standout athlete. Again, doesn't mean they can't turn into great players. I'd be most comfortable with Paolo, least with Chet, and shooting for the moon with Smith.

I don't know enough about Sharpe to have an opinion but based on what I've heard it wouldn't stun me to see him enter the top 3-4 discussion when workouts start. Seems like a player who would do well there.

I wouldn't worry about this two much, the '____ player' draft or tiers are mostly nonsense. I remember the Celtics drafting 3rd in a couple 'two player' drafts and doing OK.

Oct 26, 2017
I want Ivey paired with Haliburton if Ivey is cool with playing 2

I mean, he fits OK with Haliburton (though neither guy is very good at dribbling), but a lot of other teams are just really bad fits.

Like, Ivey with the Thunder is just a disaster.

Ivey next to Jalen Suggs on the Magic would be extremely funny as Ivey... has most of the same issues as Suggs and is just more athletic.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
This draft is pretty deep. I honestly don't think there's a ton of separation until you get to like 9 or 10. The top-4 are clear to me (Chet, Jabari, Paolo, and Ivey) but there's not a chasm between them and the next group (Griffin, Sharpe, Mathurin, etc.). I think it's obviously harder to pick, but you can still get someone with great potential outside of the top 3 or 4 here.

Top 3 is for guys who have reasonable star potential and will likely be high level role players (Chet, Jabari, Pablo)
4-5 is for ultra risky guys with star potential (Ivey, Shaedon Sharpe)
After is mostly role players but some could be high level role players

Ivey right now is Donovan Mitchell without a jumpshot which is..... extremely bad. But he could be Donovan Mitchell if he learns how to shoot.

Shaedon Sharpe has almost no high level experience as he's coming directly from high school and spent a lot of his last year in high school practicing with Kentucky instead of playing more games.

I would say if you land within top 7, you should be feeling good. Top 4 are Paolo/Jabari/Chet/Ivey. The next few guys (AJ Griffin, Sharpe, Murray) are good prospects. Obviously not as good as the top 3 but there should be some decent players.
Okay, thanks. I'm really hoping for top 3 though and that we take Paolo. Having another ball handling wing with huge upside to pair with Cade would be amazing.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Which conspiracy theory will come out of the lottery tonight?

Baroni

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the Cavs can win the lottery. 4 number one picks in 12 years. And they're decent!

Top 6 Draft Busts:
1. Anthony Bennett
2. Hasheem Thabeet
3. Greg Oden
4. LaRue Martin
5. Darko
6. Kwame Brown

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
As a long suffering Hornets fan I have reluctantly come to respect the Heat over the years. I also really like Butler and Bam, so I'm rooting for them to silence the doubters and win another championship for Miami.

Nov 7, 2017
I really wonder why people hate the Heat. Is it because of Butler? Riley? The fans who probably don't give two shits about anything other than the Dolphins for some strange reason? The Lebron,Wade,Bosh era?

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Alright, lottery predictions!

What I expect:

1 - Magic
2 - Pacers
3 - Rockets
4 - Pistons

What i'd want:

1 - Magic - Y'all do well with #1 center picks and it would give me hope that they'll more easily part ways with Mo Bamba if Ayton is max'd elsewhere
2 - Blazers - Of the lottery teams, i'm thinking the Blazers and Kings will shop their picks around no matter where they land but the Blazers are going to be super aggressive about it and I am very curious to see how they try to build a contender around Dame in one year after tearing it all down.
3 - Spurs - Spurs haven't had a high lottery pick in a while and i'd be curious to see if they'd try and move up with the 30 million picks this year to #2/if the Blazers would agree to a three-team trade depending on who drops to #3 between Chet/Banchero/Smith. 9th, 20th and 25th picks would be very enticing for a team on the cusp of blowing it up i.e. if the Wizards wanted to send Beal to Portland then getting the 3rd, 20th and 25th picks isn't bad at all, weak draft aside; they could also re-route those picks for other prospects or futures in another draft
4 - Kings - I really, really cannot let the Pistons become more of a menace to my team, sorry

Maximum Chaos:

1 - Kings
2 - Blazers
3 - OKC
4 - OKC via the Clippers

Worst Timeline:

1 - Knicks
2 - Cavs
3 - Hornets
4 - Magic
11 - Grizzlies due to the Pelicans protections on their pick

As an aside, the Kings must really hate Fox to have Sabonis represent them at the lottery. Dude was just traded there this season!

Last edited:

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I really wonder why people hate the Heat. Is it because of Butler? Riley? The fans who probably don't give two shits about anything other than the Dolphins for some strange reason? The Lebron,Wade,Bosh era?
I assume most of it stems from the Lebron Heatles. The presumed success ("not 1, not 2" etc) and the media circus around that (I could be wrong but I thought a major site like ESPN started a "Heat Watch" dedicated Lebron/Heat section). A lot of young(er) fans probably started watching basketball right around the start of the 2010's and the Heat were the big bads.

For me as a Lakers fan, it's mostly because they were our opponents in the finals a few years ago, and all the talk about they would have won if not for injuries to Bam/Dragic. But definitely respect the toughness

bec691b9-4730-4f86-8fd6-439ffdc4f6d8

Status
Not open for further replies.