• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biggest 1st round Fraud

• The Bulls

Votes: 24 3.8%
  • KD and Kyrie

Votes: 434 69.2%
  • Trae Young

Votes: 58 9.3%
  • Gobert and Mitchell

Votes: 46 7.3%
  • KAT

Votes: 16 2.6%
  • Raptors Announcers

Votes: 49 7.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
From what I observed last night, it appears that the heat are not frauds but the suns are ultra fraudy, or at least that is what my notes say

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
We can just end it here because neither of us are going to concede.
I respect that. I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just that for me personally, Kyrie isn't the caliber of black man I will go to war to protect. Dude is leading kids in the wrong direction, and I hate that. I work in mentorship and his any-vax bs is something I have had to deal with, so it just goes to a different place for me.

On the subject, I draw a line between players getting yelled at during games and being harassed after the fact, that's all. If the heckling crosses certain lines (e.g. racial, threats of violence, attacking family) the fans should be dealt with, but no one has said it did, so he needs to eat it and not react so harshly.

A finger isn't the end of the world honestly, it's not like he pulled a Ron Artest and went WWE in the stands, I'm just not shocked by the fine because flipping the birds multiple times on our Puritan/Christian live TV is gonna do that.

Oct 26, 2017
Kyrie getting fined for telling people to go fuck themselves and not for encouraging people to endanger their health is basically a perfect description of modern society.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My understanding on the Zion situation is that it's more the people around him that want the narratives to fly than he does. And he has too much trust/respect in them to come out sternly against it.
It's almost entirely ESPN and hot take pundits feeding off their own speculation and treating the speculation like fact to generate more content.

Zion's dad was on local radio just the other week laughing and talking about the craziness of all the BS rumors and that they hate New Orleans and the team. How couldn't be further from the truth. Contrast that with AD's family that reportedly was constantly miserable in NO, and wanting out.

I think the truth, by all accounts, is closer to how most Star players think when they are on a losing team in a small market, which is, "well this sucks, if I have to be losing rather be somewhere glamorous."

Oct 27, 2017
Game 1:

I like that Hollinger has an ongoing bit with Paul Reed (one / two / three).

Aside from the many joke posts (like the above), he was legit shilling for him before the 2020 draft ("...Statistically, Reed had the highest steal rate of any player in my top 60, guards included..."). Perhaps he had a point.

Game 2:
"...With Paul Reed on the court, Philadelphia has outscored Toronto by 12 points in 22 minutes through two games. The Sixers' ran away from the Raptors with a 15-4 run to open the second quarter in Game 2. That happened with Embiid sitting comfortably on the bench and Paul Reed bringing his unique brand of chaos to the middle of Philly's defense... After years of failed experiments in the backup center roles — Amir Johnson, Greg Monroe, Mike Muscala, Al Horford — the Sixers have finally tasted competency at the backup center spot. First in the form of Andre Drummond, but he was traded. Now in the form of Paul Reed, the 22-year-old NBA sophomore and reigning G-League MVP who just plays too hard to fail...

It's important to emphasize just how wild it is for Philadelphia to win the non-Embiid minutes, especially given their prior experience with Toronto in the playoffs. The Sixers have traditionally crumbled to dust whenever Embiid sniffs the bench, almost regardless of who's on the court without him. A big reason for the second unit's success is that James Harden and Tyrese Maxey now take turns running it, but replacing Jordan's turnstile defense with Reed's lightning-in-a-bottle intensity has flipped the switch. There's no excuse to move away from Reed now. He will continue to get the fouling in check over time, but that almost doesn't matter — he's in there for 10 minutes a game, and the Sixers will gladly exchange a couple fouls for a couple forced turnovers. This is Paul Reed's time. Hopefully Doc Rivers embraces the victory tour, does away with Jordan, and puts Philadelphia's best foot forward every night...."

thesixersense.com

Sixers: Paul Reed has run away with the backup center job

The Sixers have found their backup center of the future in Paul Reed. He's tearing through the Toronto offense with his aggressive defense.

His advanced stats for the season actually look pretty good, other than the "________ Wins Added" ones (which are always partly a function of playing time):

tmTt3Wy.png

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Woke up to some good news with that Pels win. I wish I could've watched it, but I had work earlier than usual.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Woke up expecting the Suns to win, looked like one of those games Book would finish with 40. This loss is only gonna further that ref conspiracy thingy though, before the game I saw on Reddit that the ref that supposedly hates Chris Paul and is undefeated in games he refs in was doing the game.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Woke up expecting the Suns to win, looked like one of those games Book would finish with 40. This loss is only gonna further that ref conspiracy thingy though, before the game I saw on Reddit that the ref that supposedly hates Chris Paul and is undefeated in games he refs in was doing the game.

He was going to finish with way more than 40 if he didn't get hurt... :)

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Do you even watch the game man lol

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know exactly what is going on with Zion, but I was floored to hear commentators on national TV basically calling Zion's camp and story into question. I can't ever recall that happening with a player of his stature.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't know exactly what is going on with Zion, but I was floored to hear commentators on national TV basically calling Zion's camp and story into question. I can't ever recall that happening with a player of his stature.

You mean the commentators during the game or the TNT Inside guys? If it's the latter they always do stuff like that, if it's the former I agree, I've never seen that during an actual game.

Aug 7, 2020
Man, my predictions were wrong . Hey NBA era , can I get my post from the nba regular season and remediated some of my predictions because I mess up bad .

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Today's ESPN Daily was focused on Nets Owner Joe Tsai, specifically on his and the NBA's relationship with China.

This interesting tidbit, shared by ESPN investigative reporter Mark Fainaru-Wada, reveals some of what transpired behind the scenes immediately after Morey's tweet in support of the Hong Kong Protests:

"So now you've got this dynamic in which Morey's being attacked , Tsai is responding in the way he's responding, and the league is trying to find some middle ground here or figure out how it can exist even as two exhibition games are about to be played in China. And part of our reporting finds out that behind the scenes - though Tsai and the NBA deny this vehemently - behind the scenes, Tsai was seeking to get Morey fired."

Link to episode. Comment comes around the 21 minute mark.

Edit: US Government involvement

"So one of the things that's going on is Morey hears from at least one NBA owner that Tsai is trying to get him fired in order to appease the Chinese. Morey connects with a guy named Matt Turpin, who worked in the National Security Council in the Trump administration. Turpin and a couple others volunteer to help Morey, who believes he's gonna get fired.

One of the things Turpin tells us is he's working back channels, both in the government and through the NBA, and said, his impression of Joe Tsai's role in this was that he was extremely unhelpful. He was laying out to the other owners how completely unacceptable it was that anyone weigh in on Hong Kong, and it colored the way the rest of the league lined up against Daryl."

Edit 2: LeBron's response behind closed doors

"I don't think people knew this at the time. There were these games that were about to be played in Shanghai, one of the teams that's there to play is the Lakers, with LeBron of course. There's an international incident happening in real time in front of these guys, and there are meetings that happen between the players and the commissioner as well as the players themselves."

"LeBron has got his new movie Space Jam that's about to open, it's in production. The hope - at the time at least - was that it was going to open in China. So behind closed doors, the players are meeting and asking how are they going to deal with this, what are they going to do. LeBron was quite vocal in raging about Morey, and how something needed to happen to Morey."
What a shit show 🤦

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017

I can't wait for whatever they do for Smart tonight. Gonna be really special.

What a damn achievement. You can tell how much it means for him and his teammates.

DaVeed

Banned
Jun 21, 2020
That was an incredible performance by the Pelicans. It seemed like everybody was hitting tough, clutch shots. While that may not be repeatable for the rest of the series, if they continue to push the pace like they did in Game 2, this series can get really interesting with Booker's status in limbo.

Oct 27, 2017
I do think the suns pull it out for the series even with booker's injury but it would be wild for the future of the play in and fringe play in competition if the pels could take it to 6/7 games or even,…. Gasp! Pull off the series win (they won't)

Suns fans never shut up about 2000s Spurs, I cannot imagine the terror they will inflict in nba circles and Pelicans fanbase if the pels did pull off the upset with a 36-46 record

(Also not trading Kawhi for Ingram in 2018 continues to haunt us lol)

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I was surprised when I heard that from Kevin last night and nobody else picked up on it. He said there's no documentation of a broken leg or something to that effect, right?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The Suns should still win, but could you imagine if they lost both games in N.O. and Booker still wasn't ready for game 5?

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Suns had an uncharacteristically bad defensive performance last night. If they shore that up, they have a decent shot at handling NO even without Booker

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I think the Suns probably beat the Pels without Book but the odds are definitely tipping towards even. I mean, take the best player off any playoff team and winning at this level gets tough.

reaganstein

Dec 13, 2017
I genuinely think Simmons can succeed really well on this nets squad, but him targeting game 4 just seems like such a bad idea. The series already has the feel of a late round game 3-4, so coming into that game after not playing a year and having serious back surgery, just seems like an impossible situation in which to succeed.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely think Simmons can succeed really well on this nets squad, but him targeting game 4 just seems like such a bad idea. The series already has the feel of a late round game 3-4, so coming into that game after not playing a year and having serious back surgery, just seems like an impossible situation in which to succeed.
He was to understand that his role coming into the playoffs like this will be extremely limited. That's really the only way it can work. Basically just be an extra body on the court & do well on defense.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see if the Celtics lean on White more this game. He checked in with about 4 minutes left and the Celts won those minutes by 6. They won't switch thee starting lineup but I could see less Theis, a bit more Grant and more White.

Fistwell

Oct 26, 2017
Interested to see if the Celtics lean on White more this game. He checked in with about 4 minutes left and the Celts won those minutes by 6. They won't switch thee starting lineup but I could see less Theis, a bit more Grant and more White.
Love derrick but dont know if he's earned it. He needs to be shooting better.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Love derrick but dont know if he's earned it. He needs to be shooting better.

His shot has looked very good in the last two weeks or so.

Yeah, he's shooting 45% from 3 over last ten games. I just think his driving, passing, and attacking is worth a lot against this Brooklyn D which doesn't guard second and third actions well. Worth more than playing a second big for rim protection or defense, at least against this team.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Suns probably beat the Pels without Book but the odds are definitely tipping towards even. I mean, take the best player off any playoff team and winning at this level gets tough.
Yeah. It happens at times. You of course know well that gs had 30 or kd missing a lot of round 1 games and entire series almost every year since like 2015. And many other team examples. That's the good thing about dominating enough for to be a 1 or 2 seed.

booker out a bit, but they had a good enough regular season to avoid a team that will 100% send them home. I.e. If lal was a high seed last year, they maybe get a team they don't need AD for. So it can literally change everything.

So the thing now is just handling business until your star is back. Doncic out too but his team isn't as good

Status
Not open for further replies.