• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
NBA, NBPA AND 2K ANNOUNCE LONGTERM PARTNERSHIP EXPANSION
Agreement Expands Upon Success of NBA 2K – Interactive Entertainment Industry's Top-Rated and Top-Selling NBA Video Game Simulation Series

The National Basketball Association (NBA), National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) and 2K, a wholly-owned label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO) and publisher of the leading global basketball video game NBA 2K, today announced a significant, multiyear global partnership extension. The agreement expands upon the success of NBA 2K, the top-rated and top-selling NBA video game simulation series for the past 17 years* that has sold-in more than 86 million units worldwide.

An entire generation of basketball fans engage and connect with NBA teams and players through NBA 2K," said NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. "We are grateful to extend our partnership with Take-Two and the NBPA to build on the enormous popularity of the NBA 2K franchise and the continued global growth of basketball."

Pretty crazy how big 2k is now compared to the early 2000s.

https://www.operationsports.com/nba...portedly-a-7-year-deal-worth-1-1-billion/amp/

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
At least the NBA isn't as bad as the NFL when comes to partnerships and licensing agreements. To this day I'm still disappointed that we're never going to get and NFL 2K series again because the NFL is a piece of shit.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Wonder if take two will get the exclusive license so that there is no more nba live, not that they need it for now but what if EA decides they care about basketball again to invest heavily into it for next gen?

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Does this partnership mean it'll be any good during these seven years? They've ruined the series for me from the start of this generation with what they've done to the career mode, so I'm glad I've got NBA Live that does a good job with it.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
only if this meant less microtransactions

The 2k series is a fucking abomination. Just an absolutely rotten mess of cynical bullshit covering an outstanding basketball game.

I picked up 2K19 half off because I hadn't played one this gen, and there's no time the game isn't trying to reach into your pocket.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
Wonder if take two will get the exclusive license so that there is no more nba live, not that they need it for now but what if EA decides they care about basketball again to invest heavily into it for next gen?

That would be horrible even tho nba live is horrid still need the market to be open look how bad it is to only have madden

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
The last EA Live game was actually pretty good. Dont know how it did sales wise but it was a solid game.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The NBA isn't the NFL and won't do that. If anything does in the EA games it will be sales.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
The NBA isn't the NFL and won't do that. If anything does in the EA games it will be sales.
I think if they were to stop making NBA live games altogether they would've done it by now, what if them skipping a lot of years trying to make significant changes and having no success? Yet they're still releasing Live games, I wouldn't be surprised if they took a 5 year break and returned afterwards.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I think if they were to stop making NBA live games altogether they would've done it by now, what if them skipping a lot of years trying to make significant changes and having no success? Yet they're still releasing Live games, I wouldn't be surprised if they took a 5 year break and returned afterwards.
Five years would be way too long. If they wanted to take time off they would need to at least be there for the next PS/XB launch, though I think NBA 2k11 and NBA Elite forever "doomed" EA.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Five years would be way too long. If they wanted to take time off they would need to at least be there for the next PS/XB launch, though I think NBA 2k11 and NBA Elite forever "doomed" EA.
Sorry, meant to say they'll try for a next gen launch obviously (maybe on the frostbite engine like the popular EA SPORTS games), but if they fail to capture mindshare for the first 2 iterations next gen, I can see them skipping some years.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Agreed, 19 is actually good although it definitely isn't a big seller. Honestly with how gross 2K has gotten, I'd rather take Live.
The demo for this year's LIVE was fun, but the actual game I couldn't say. I've never been able to actually play LIVE online because it's the only EA game that I can't connect to their servers.

If 2K gives me a street ball option online like this years LIVE with men and women or a women's league/career mode I'd never touch LIVE again.