• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
What about the other athletes? Enes is calling out Lebron, because he is Lebron James, the face of the NBA.

Big difference between Lebron and your average ERA member. THis is like that credit report company saying people should shower less and not play video games, While the Big Corporations/Government continue to fuck up the world.

I am not saying we have the influence of LeBron.

Sure LeBron is the face of the NBA, but he is still getting fed by the same hand as Kanter. They both play in a league with these ties to China.

What would be an apt response from James in your opinion?

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry he's got friends:

Peak irony. It's one thing to bring up lebron bending over for China it's another thing to make fun of his black activism in light of it. Don't lump the two in together if you want to actually make a point. Using the shut up and dribble white supremacist talking point when your ass over their posting nice tweets with human filth is hilarious

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Why the fuck is it always PoS that align with the worst far right BS that always have a problem with China and want to tear down black activists for not doing enough against China?

Like they don't go after ATVI or Google bending over backward and letting China rule what is acceptable even in the US but nope the real hypocrisy is that one black dude who doesn't black people to be killed for no reason.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Just know I'm not trying to win anything here. I see my own faults in my thinking and I recognize you from other threads and I appreciate whatever you post. I don't mean to ruffle feathers.

I think, just like with everything else in the world, there are shades of grey everywhere. I can recognize that Lebron has done a lot of good within the Cleveland community and beyond. But that doesn't exclude him from criticism...but neither should Kanter be shielded from criticism. I'm just...

eh.

I'm not bothered by it, I just don't care to argue.

I would prefer the NBA to take a stand against China, I really would, but it will take more than just LeBron and a lot more players and their money rely heavily on that connection. It would take him doing something no one of his status has ever done outside of maybe Ali and KAJ. And I am not one to really put athletes on that kind of pedestal.

My problem with Kanter here is he's minimizing everything else LeBron has done outside of bball which is how often people come after him. Let alone, his, uh... Other political stances. He's right, LeBron should say something, but the dude wants to own a team someday, that's what he wants to do. He isn't gonna say shit.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
v32zqCC.jpg

But at least now Republicans scream CHINESE INFLUENCE whenever Kanter gets a DNP: coach's decision, which I'm not gonna lie, is funny as fuck to me.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Kanter literally has tin pot dictator Erdogan threatening his life, the NBA and other powers don't scare him at all. I have mad respect for his willingness to speak out on all sorts of bullshit.

Erdogan has little pull on the NBA, its owners and business partners. I mean Kanter has been calling everyone out starting with Nike. It's not about fear but rather hurting his wallet and pushing him out the league. The league shut Morey up right quick. They and their partners do not like it when you fuck with their money.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Kanter literally has tin pot dictator Erdogan threatening his life, the NBA and other powers don't scare him at all. I have mad respect for his willingness to speak out on all sorts of bullshit.
Yeah he has serious balls.

But I don't hold anyone to that standard. Not even with the US government. If you don't want to take that on I can't hate you for it.

Its really easy for us to say be the brave guy on the internet and I obviously respect the hell out of anyone who has such strong morals, but the price can be really high and I can't ask anyone to pay that price. Look at all of the black leaders in the 60s who were straight out murdered by the US government or their enemies. I won't hate on someone for not directly taking on a really powerful government.

And most people on the internet don't actually do anything other than complain.

I think its fair to criticize LeBron on some things but I wouldn't take it too far and call him a coward. Conservatives really hate him for his pretty innocent stance on BLM.

There are plenty of real life heroes that we don't need to make believe that these guys who play sports are heroes (outside of real heroes like Kaep) just because they are really good and entertaining at something.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
its derailing to point out the blatant hypocrisy of the person this thread was created about? It's derailing to point out that the guy calling for action on human rights abuses supports AIPAC?

I would say create a thread to discuss Kanter's other questionable views instead of distracting from Lebron's questionable views.

Kanter is pretty dumb with some of this stuff, but sorry, this thread is about Lebron and purely Lebron.

This thread is about Kanter and Lebron. All of the discussion has been about these two people

No, it's about Lebron. Now it's become about Kanter as well, though, sure.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I would say create a thread to discuss Kanter's other questionable views instead of distracting from Lebron's questionable views.

Kanter is pretty dumb with some of this stuff, but sorry, this thread is about Lebron and purely Lebron.

so question, in a thread where LeBron speaks out on police violence, and someone derails with the China debacle. are you taking this same stance?

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is like making a thread on trump calling Biden a bad president, yeah… same energy pretty much

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

I would say....fuck no. Its absolutely relevant here. This thread is not "about Lebron and purely LeBron". Sorry that this didn't turn into a LeBron Dunkfest like you probably wanted. Kanter is not just "pretty dumb" here, he's doing the EXACT same shit he's accusing LeBron of. If you don't think that merits being brought up, its because it doesn't suit your agenda.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
This is like making a thread on trump calling Biden a bad president, yeah… same energy pretty much

Not really, lmao.

This thread should purely be about Lebron, just my opinion. Totally willing to talk about how stupid Kanter is in another thread, though.

so question, in a thread where LeBron speaks out on police violence, and someone derails with the China debacle. are you taking this same stance?

Yeah, probably. Just like talking about the topic at hand. Like others said, everyone can be brought down in some shape, way, or form if that's what we are gonna do. No one's opinion matters then if we do that to everyone.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
So he is supposed to take on the Trump administration while living here as an immigrant AND a crazy dictator in his home country?

You guys are crazy in these purity tests.

I don't think questioning someone's support of Jared Kushner, AIPAC and John Bolton, particularly when they have the gall to call someone else out about human rights abuses, is a "purity test".

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
So he is supposed to take on the Trump administration while living here as an immigrant AND a crazy dictator in his home country?

You guys are crazy in these purity tests.
The guy is calling Lebron a hypocrite for not speaking on China but then is silent on Palestine (when he has spoken about being an ambassador to Israel in the past) and supports a fringe militant Turkish group, like I don't know how that's not raising some red flags

Status
Not open for further replies.