• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Refs fixing games 🤔

Two basketballs in play at the same time. Double the points, double the refs.

They do it now anyway. No one cares unless things look uneven. Say it's first to 20 and has been 10 all for a while. A few quick shooting fouls to either side that are a bit soft and it's 14 or 16 all and it's down to crunch time without the result being effected all that much

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well eliminate the conferences and the regular season would actually be worth watching, the Eastern conference has been absolute garbage for about 20 years now. Obviously ratings are going to keep declining

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how it stop time outs to advance the ball unless there is a rule change removing it. Teams are still going to work for any advantage they can get. The All Star game still had a bunch of times outs to end the game.
you don't have to worry about saving seconds on a game clock.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Target score sounds like a great change. I am sad I missed out on the All Star Game!

I am not really liking the idea of a mid season tournament though. Maybe it's just me but I feel like teams already play too many games...

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How I'd do it.

Finalists from last year get first-round bye and top seed
Seed everyone else from last year's record, higher seed gets home.
Single-elim

Not sure what winner should get. Maybe each player has their next contract only count 90% against the salary cap?

The idea is this tourney replaces the regular season games.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Realistically to make regular season more exciting they would need to cut amount of games but that seems like a nonstarter since that'd mean much less revenue for teams, especially top ones. If you're selling out the arena you don't want to agree to do that half the time now or whatever.

With regards to the boring endings to some games, if the free throws are the problem isn't the easiest solution something like non shooting fouls in the last two minutes garner one extra free throw? Then the incentive to purposefully foul is much much less because you're giving them three shots and almost no professional will miss two of those.

Oct 25, 2017
Target score sounds like a great change. I am sad I missed out on the All Star Game!

I am not really liking the idea of a mid season tournament though. Maybe it's just me but I feel like teams already play too many games...

One of the ideas behind a mid-season tournament would be that the additional revenue would allow them to shorten the season. The goal would be fewer overall games.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about as big of a fan of the NBA as you can find and I have no interest in this midseason tournament. I'm honestly surprised what I thought of as a rather silly idea has seemingly gained so much traction. I don't understand the incentives for the players and fans to care, especially if the games are played amidst 'normal' games. What rewards can there be that don't further exacerbate the competitive balance problem?

For the play-in for the playoffs, I kind of feel whatever - not for, not against. But I don't see why I'd be so excited about seeing the 14th and 20th best teams battle to see who will get wasted by the Bucks, especially when teams are actively tanking to get into the lottery.

Happy to see more of the Elam ending though. It worked nicely for the ASG. The game ending on FTs seems easy enough to address - maybe just remove a point from the losing team for each foul taken

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The NBA should adopt the Elam ending, sure, but they really need to fix the schedule. The regular season should be 58 games. Every team plays the other twice (home and away) and we'd eliminate conferences. With 2-3 games per team per week, each could be marketed as "important" in a way that's impossible now. Yeah, I tune in to see the Pacers or Zion now, but none of the individual games matter. The Pacers lost 6 in a row before the break and I shrugged it off. The season is so long they can make up that swoon.

I imagine viewership would go up if people thought the games mattered, which would balance out the revenue drop from losing 24 games. Any other pay cut would come from the pockets of the owners briefcase fuck billionaires.

OP
OP
Tom Penny

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
The NBA should adopt the Elam ending, sure, but they really need to fix the schedule. The regular season should be 58 games. Every team plays the other twice (home and away) and we'd eliminate conferences. With 2-3 games per team per week, each could be marketed as "important" in a way that's impossible now. Yeah, I tune in to see the Pacers or Zion now, but none of the individual games matter. The Pacers lost 6 in a row before the break and I shrugged it off. The season is so long they can make up that swoon.

I imagine viewership would go up if people thought the games mattered, which would balance out the revenue drop from losing 24 games. Any other pay cut would come from the pockets of the owners briefcase fuck billionaires.
People are overstating the too many games factor. It's the quality of the product. Reduce MLB to 100 games and I'm still only watching the Red Sox if at all because I think the game itself is boring. NBA has more of a half the teams get in the playoffs and suck issue with 75% of those teams having no chance than anything else.