• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
As someone with very little understanding of the sport, let me make sure what I've gathered is accurate:

Right now, endgame basketball involves (the losing team? both teams?) intentionally fouling the other team, which stops the clock but gives them free-throws. This gives you more time to mount a comeback, but is boring to watch (and also leads to more points scored than normal play?).

With the target score ending (where the target score is based on the teams' scores during the regular, timed portion of the game), the goal is to eliminate this, since time no longer matters.

Alright, and now that I think about it... how come this doesn't just move the fouling segment of the game earlier? Like, if we're playing 40min+target score, and there's five minutes on the clock, don't I have the same incentives to foul for clock stoppage to make sure I'm in the best position possible when we enter the target score segment of the game?
Putting the other team on the free throw line in order to mount a comeback is a desperation strategy unless the other team is absolutely terrible at free throws. Doing it earlier in the game would be stupid.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Given how terrible the end of a standard NBA game is for casual fans I can see why they'd want to change to a target score after how great the end of the All Star game was. It'd be nice if they'd do something about intentional open court fouls to stop a fast break as well. Most people aren't tuning in to watch NBA players shoot free throws... well maybe Rockets fans are.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
No one cares about the nba until like round 2 of the playoffs so why is this mid season tourny gonna be any different and actually get people excited. This is a awful gimmick to try to prop up the ratings without trying to understand why the ratings dropped in the first place. More meaningless gimmick basketball is not going to get more people in Minnesota, Memphis, New Orleans or any of the other smaller NBA markets to watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Horrible. The league goes through ups and downs, but you don't switch to this gimmick garbage for a temporary ratings grab.

The 24 second clock and the 3 point line were also considered gimmicks at one point.

what the fuck is going on with american sports leagues lately? MLB wants all these changes, NFL wants to change palyoff format, now this. leave it alone already.

American sports have a tradition of constant evolution. For better or worse, they have never left it alone.

As someone with very little understanding of the sport, let me make sure what I've gathered is accurate:

Right now, endgame basketball involves (the losing team? both teams?) intentionally fouling the other team, which stops the clock but gives them free-throws. This gives you more time to mount a comeback, but is boring to watch (and also leads to more points scored than normal play?).

With the target score ending (where the target score is based on the teams' scores during the regular, timed portion of the game), the goal is to eliminate this, since time no longer matters.

Alright, and now that I think about it... how come this doesn't just move the fouling segment of the game earlier? Like, if we're playing 40min+target score, and there's five minutes on the clock, don't I have the same incentives to foul for clock stoppage to make sure I'm in the best position possible when we enter the target score segment of the game?

The fear of players fouling out will keep teams from employing such a strategy.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
This is dumb.

If you are going to go to "target score" then at least follow other sports that do it (Tennis/Violleyball ect) and have sets

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
I know it will never happen (since they have already gone away from it just for the opening round), but I kinda wish for shorter playoff series...it's just extremely rare for upsets to happen in a 7 game series, but I feel like there is a small chance in a 5 game series.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
They should be exploring ways to change the way basketball games end. In practice the current way sucks.

Oct 25, 2017
This is dumb.

If you are going to go to "target score" then at least follow other sports that do it (Tennis/Violleyball ect) and have sets

The target score isn't pre-detrmined like it is in Tennis or Volleyball. Instead, it is determined by the score of the game. So sets don't make sense.

They should be exploring ways to change the way basketball games end. In practice the current way sucks.

That is exactly what this is.

slate.com

An Interview With the Man Who Helped Make the NBA All-Star Game Exciting

“Players really pouring their heart and soul out on the court, it’s not what you’re used to seeing in an All-Star Game.”

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
With the NFL/MLB playoff rule changes, it seems like every major sports league is fucking with everything when things were just fine the way they were.

Damn, typing that made me feel old

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Remove all personal fouls, and only give technical and flagrant fouls, same ejection rules apply.
pcdC8Br.gif

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
The target score isn't pre-detrmined like it is in Tennis or Volleyball. Instead, it is determined by the score of the game. So sets don't make sense.

That is exactly what this is.

slate.com

An Interview With the Man Who Helped Make the NBA All-Star Game Exciting

“Players really pouring their heart and soul out on the court, it’s not what you’re used to seeing in an All-Star Game.”

The target score is an arbitrary number that teams play to in the 4th to make the end of the game less boring. In the ASG it was 24. It could be anything.

Essentially it's a dumb hybrid system that splits the difference between a set type system and a clock system.

Instead of having a clock just have teams play a best of 3 or a best of 5 game (really a best of 4 + Tiebreaker) where they play first to 24 (or whatever arbitrary number makes logical sense. ) and track wins like that.

Oct 25, 2017
The target score is an arbitrary number that teams play to in the 4th to make the end of the game less boring. In the ASG it was 24. It could be anything.

Essentially it's a dumb hybrid system that splits the difference between a set type system and a clock system.

Instead of having a clock just have teams play a best of 3 or a best of 5 game (really a best of 4 + Tiebreaker) where they play first to 24 (or whatever arbitrary number makes logical sense. ) and track wins like that.

The target score was the leading teams score + 24. So the team's play beforehand is critical in establishing advantage.

Basketball is a game of runs, so breaking it up into small sets doesn't really line up with the flow of the game.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
The target score was the leading teams score + 24. So the team's play beforehand is critical in establishing advantage.

Basketball is a game of runs, so breaking it up into small sets doesn't really line up with the flow of the game.

It changes the flow sure, but that's the whole point of adding the Elam ending. To change the flow of the game.

By changing to a "set" system (I'm a fan of the 4 + 1 tiebreaker personally) it means that there is crunch time at the end of every quarter and virtually eliminates garbage time since each quarter is something worth playing for with the score resetting

Oct 25, 2017
It changes the flow sure, but that's the whole point of adding the Elam ending. To change the flow of the game.

By changing to a "set" system (I'm a fan of the 4 + 1 tiebreaker personally) it means that there is crunch time at the end of every quarter and virtually eliminates garbage time since each quarter is something worth playing for with the score resetting

The goal of the Elam Ending is to preserve the flow of the game by protecting it from bullshit intentional fouls and constant timeouts to move the ball to half court.

Oct 26, 2017
Mid-season tournament to decide final playoff spots would be great. The league wants to be global and introducing single-elimination tourneys is a way to do it. Look at football globally, there's a ton of different tournaments to spice up viewership.

Envisioning an FA Cup style tournament where NBA teams face off against G-League etc. would be interesting. I hesitate to say universities because there'd be corruption there.

Huh, this makes no sense. It's almost as if you looked at football, and extrapolated all the wrong reasons as to why it's so successful. The World Cup, Champions League, FA Cup etc. aren't simply successful because it's a knockout round style of tournament, otherwise explain why the Premier League/Bundesliga/La Liga/Serie A are all increasing in ratings with a round robin style tournament? (ESPECIALLY the Premier League with it's exponentially bigger tv rights deal relative to the other dominant leagues of Europe).

Not to mention, the reason why the FA Cup works, is because of history and significance of the trophy (and even then, big clubs tend to not really care about it unless they're going for the double, or treble). Assuming that this would even work with NBA and G-League teams is so mind-bogglingly insane, especially when great athletes would cut through G-League teams as if it was scrimmage in practice. It just doesn't work at all.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Yeah sounds good, they should trial it. Best of 5 sets, fans/networks would just have to live with games that end in 3 sets, as with other sports.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Do whatever you want with the All Star break, no one cares. But making a shittier version of the MLB's play-in wild card is just stupid. You already let in over half the league to the playoffs every year. That's not the problem.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yeah

Other countries would go absolutely insane just to be included at all. It would make it such a massive event even if they lost badly like 98% of the time

Basketball badly needs more club competitions like soccer has.

The NBA should really work with FIBA to create a club world championship, even if it's basically automatic that the NBA champ would win it.

BanGy

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best regular season games in recent history was that Nuggets vs Timberwolves match a couple of seasons ago for the final playoff spot, give me more of that shit. Let's get weird.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, this makes no sense. It's almost as if you looked at football, and extrapolated all the wrong reasons as to why it's so successful. The World Cup, Champions League, FA Cup etc. aren't simply successful because it's a knockout round style of tournament, otherwise explain why the Premier League/Bundesliga/La Liga/Serie A are all increasing in ratings with a round robin style tournament? (ESPECIALLY the Premier League with it's exponentially bigger tv rights deal relative to the other dominant leagues of Europe).

Not to mention, the reason why the FA Cup works, is because of history and significance of the trophy (and even then, big clubs tend to not really care about it unless they're going for the double, or treble). Assuming that this would even work with NBA and G-League teams is so mind-bogglingly insane, especially when great athletes would cut through G-League teams as if it was scrimmage in practice. It just doesn't work at all.
What tournament do they have during their specific season*? It's all points from wins with no playoffs at the end unless I'm mistaken? Any tournament is outside of the season itself right?

To the other point, it has to start somewhere. The only way it can grow is starting it. Of course it sounds crazy because there's nothing established for it yet, but I personally feel more of these pro leagues need smaller scenes for talent to rise from the ranks. Relying on college has its own problems.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Apart from the complete lack of parity

I don't see how you solve that without a major league contraction which the league, fanbase, or players union don't really have the stomach to handle.

Either that or going crazy and ending free agency but I think that still leaves most of the recent dynasties intact. Plus the players would strike immediately.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
A midseason tournament is completely meaningless. One of the worst ideas I've heard from a professional sports organization.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
I was a diehard Knick fan that would go to three or more games a season and watched almost every game from 2009-17ish.

One of the biggest regrets of my life.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The goal of the Elam Ending is to preserve the flow of the game by protecting it from bullshit intentional fouls and constant timeouts to move the ball to half court.

I don't see how it stop time outs to advance the ball unless there is a rule change removing it. Teams are still going to work for any advantage they can get. The All Star game still had a bunch of times outs to end the game.

Oct 30, 2017
What tournament do they have during their specific season*? It's all points from wins with no playoffs at the end unless I'm mistaken? Any tournament is outside of the season itself right?

To the other point, it has to start somewhere. The only way it can grow is starting it. Of course it sounds crazy because there's nothing established for it yet, but I personally feel more of these pro leagues need smaller scenes for talent to rise from the ranks. Relying on college has its own problems.

the knockout cup tournaments run concurrently with the regular season, but that regular season is all that matters to determine the champions (ie "#1 seed" is the most prestigious achievement). the big clubs usually rest their players during the cup games because a single regular season game is considered more important than a knockout game most of the time. the exception is the champions league, the hybrid round-robin/knockout tournament between the best teams in europe.

if you were looking at the premier league for ways to increase the NBA's appeal, the lesson would be "eliminate the playoffs", which would obviously not be a great idea.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

Something that is still achieved if you are playing in a "set" format. Those benefits don't just go away
Yeah sounds good, they should trial it. Best of 5 sets, fans/networks would just have to live with games that end in 3 sets, as with other sports.

My proposed version is that you would always play 4 sets. With it being first to 3 wins. Games could end 4-0 or 3-1 and be fairly similar to a current NBA game in terms of flow.

If it's 2-2 you play a mini set/tiebreaker of say first to 8 and games end 3-2 so you always have a winner.

Isn't target score only good if both teams want to win?

What about those tank teams?

Players still want future contracts. Gotta play hard. It might extend garbage time in this format which is a major negative if both teams aren't trying to win

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Your issue is the damn season is too long, load management, and the last few minutes of the game typically blow. NBA have the most boring normal season for this reason

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
I'm down for whatever. Basketball is probably my favorite sport but the NBA product is just not that good to me. Implementing a midseason tournament isn't even radical enough for me. I need more.

On another note, people can be weirdly conservative when it comes to pro sports.

Oct 25, 2017
Mid season tournament that is structured like a European style cup would be nice. If you can't substantially reduce the number of games from 82 because of the loss of revenue at least have some of them have actual stakes.
Play in tournament would be horrid though. I couldn't give a shit about who gets the 8th seed.
As someone that grew up watching FIBA/Euroleague as still cannot understand why NBA games have 12 minute quarters instead of 10.
2.5+ hours to sit through a game is way too long.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sort of. Although Refs can fix that by calling a lot of fouls/shooting fouls. Just help both teams out
Refs fixing games 🤔
I'm down for whatever. Basketball is probably my favorite sport but the NBA product is just not that good to me. Implementing a midseason tournament isn't even radical enough for me. I need more.
Two basketballs in play at the same time. Double the points, double the refs.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like this, but I can't blame them if ratings and such are dropping quickly. Probably trying to find a way to mix it up to keep people interested.

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
I welcome these changes.

40 min games would make games go a bit faster. A basketball game shouldn't really take 3 hours of television. A regular football (soccer) match for example is great cause it is mostly 1.5 hours of television on average, so its quick to consume, still exciting and you have enough teams to offer quicker multiple games in one day. Also, shorter games would mean players should be more okay with back to back games, and maybe minimize the resting of players, since they play less minutes.

Also, the regular season is so boring now, I and many other just wait until the playoffs and start watching then. A midseason tournament would make it a lot more likely to at least get some to watch, rather than just have zero visibility through most of the regular season. Spice it up a bit.

I like these and most of the other changes being mentioned in all sports recently. Leagues should evolve with time to keep it interesting.