• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Do not want. Did not ask for...

Stolen from Real GM...

basketball.realgm.com

NBA Considering 40-Minute Games, Target Score Ending For Potential Midseason Tournament

NBA Considering 40-Minute Games, Target Score Ending For Potential Midseason Tournament - RealGM Wiretap

www.espn.com

All-Star Game likely to again feature target score

While not set in stone, the NBA is likely to use a target score again at the end of next season's All-Star Game after the experiment was well received this season, Byron Spruell, the NBA's president of league operations, told ESPN's Zach Lowe Wednesday.

A midseason tournament and a separate play-in tournament for the final two playoff spots in each conference remain high on the NBA's wish list, the NBA's president of league operations Byron Spruell told Zach Lowe of ESPN.

There is still hope that both could be added in time for the 2021-22 season, and that the league would want to add both at the same time.

Under the current proposal, a midseason tournament would take place between Christmas and the week of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

Pool play games would be scheduled alongside regular-season games. The top-eight teams based on pool play would then meet in a single-elimination tournament.

There is also discussion of using 40-minute games for the elimination portion of the tournament, as well as an Elam Ending-style target score during elimination games.

"We were already looking at 40-minute games to make those games look a little different," Spruell said. "So here again [the target score] is something we would consider."

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm indifferent about the tournament but I'm all in on the Elam ending. The finish to basketball games is often monotonous with all the fouling and foul shots. Anything to avoid that is good in my books.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Ratings are dropping, so they probably will do this to make the regular season more interesting to casual fans.

Oct 25, 2017
Horrible. The league goes through ups and downs, but you don't switch to this gimmick garbage for a temporary ratings grab.

Oct 25, 2017
A closed tournament sucks. Invite the Spanish, Greek, Chinese, Italian, Russian, and Australian top league champs into it, and then you got a stew going.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
what the fuck is going on with american sports leagues lately? MLB wants all these changes, NFL wants to change palyoff format, now this. leave it alone already.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm indifferent about the tournament but I'm all in on the Elam ending. The finish to basketball games is often monotonous with all the fouling and foul shots. Anything to avoid that is good in my books.
They were talking about this on Bill Simmons podcast. They said to imagine that it was always a point target and one day they changed it to the current system, everyone would hate how the last minute is all about managing fouls and just fuckery. Everyone would hate it.

I don't think they'd change that since it's a massive change but the ending to the Allstar game was insanely more exciting than a normal game.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised people here don't want change when most of the NBA season doesn't even matter at this point and not many are watching.

They have to do something. Not sure if the mid-season tourney is the answer but it's worth a try.

I like the point target.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
What's the point of the mid season tournament? I don't see the value of it at all. I would rather have top 4 team have a break while the rest of the teams play in a single game elimination tournament until there's final 4 teams left. Those 8 teams (Top 4 team + final 4) then would play a regular playoff mode to determine the champion.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
The Elam ending is a bit more complicated, but once you get used to it, it makes a lot more sense. It basically eliminates intentional fouling while still allowing for dramatic comebacks.

Emobacca

Nov 2, 2017
People in here forgetting that the NBA regular season is boring as hell and often has little consequence

The NBA needs something to inject life into the regular season

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Change the entire league over an exhibition game 🤦‍♂️
Some of these changes were already being talked about way before the allstar game.

And it's not about that game but rather the idea that change, no matter what, should not happen just because it's change. That's dumb.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
They need to shorten the regular season and lower the amount of teams that make the playoffs. If you want to do a tournament do one for the first overall pick with all the teams that didn't make the playoffs.

OP
OP
Tom Penny

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
They need to shorten the regular season and lower the amount of teams that make the playoffs. If you want to do a tournament do one for the first overall pick with all the teams that didn't make the playoffs.
Nah. Eliminate conferences. Best teams in period. Then we will Finally see some upsets especially the middle teams.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Ratings are dropping, so they probably will do this to make the regular season more interesting to casual fans.

NBA is always weird since you're punished more with mediocrity for being a fan of the local team than in other sports unless you live in Boston or LA or had the good fortune of being a local fan of the newest super team. So if you don't spare yourself misery by being a specific player fan or a fan of one of the biggest franchises that always find a way to get into it, there are a lot of NBA markets where it's a lesson in futility to watch the local team. I can't imagine a lot of people are excited to watch Minnesota and Indiana play some NBA basketball. Or the Bucks in general after Giannis leaves to go play for some team that doesn't need that 97th championship win like the Lakers.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Yes do it. The end of the 4th quarter always feels so tedious with the constant fouling and time outs, it's a huge turn off to me.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People in here forgetting that the NBA regular season is boring as hell and often has little consequence

The NBA needs something to inject life into the regular season
A pointless tournament isn't the answer imo.

The right answer is fewer games + Elam ending, but there is no way the former is happening.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I knew this would happen. I was saying in NBA era I don't like gimmicks for the all star game. This is hot garbage!

what is this XBA?

Last edited:

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
As someone with very little understanding of the sport, let me make sure what I've gathered is accurate:

Right now, endgame basketball involves (the losing team? both teams?) intentionally fouling the other team, which stops the clock but gives them free-throws. This gives you more time to mount a comeback, but is boring to watch (and also leads to more points scored than normal play?).

With the target score ending (where the target score is based on the teams' scores during the regular, timed portion of the game), the goal is to eliminate this, since time no longer matters.

Alright, and now that I think about it... how come this doesn't just move the fouling segment of the game earlier? Like, if we're playing 40min+target score, and there's five minutes on the clock, don't I have the same incentives to foul for clock stoppage to make sure I'm in the best position possible when we enter the target score segment of the game?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The midseaaon tournament is a great idea and y'all will love it. Also I want a 1on1 tournament for all star weekend.

I predicted the scoring change for a tournament as soon as Adam silver mentioned they were exploring midseason tournaments.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
NBA is always weird since you're punished more with mediocrity for being a fan of the local team than in other sports unless you live in Boston or LA or had the good fortune of being a local fan of the newest super team. So if you don't spare yourself misery by being a specific player fan or a fan of one of the biggest franchises that always find a way to get into it, there are a lot of NBA markets where it's a lesson in futility to watch the local team. I can't imagine a lot of people are excited to watch Minnesota and Indiana play some NBA basketball. Or the Bucks in general after Giannis leaves to go play for some team that doesn't need that 97th championship win like the Lakers.
The problem with a lot of those teams is that they are horribly run and have a ton of fairweather fans. Location is also important because Atlanta for example doesn't care about the Hawks unless they are contenders. Teams like the Lakers and Celtics just have a ton of loyal fans even when those teams are bad.

Right now the teams with the best average ratings are the Spurs, Bucks, 76ers, Thunder, Lakers, Blazers, and Celtics.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The nfl change is weird because ratings are as great as ever and no one was asking for two extra playoff teams.

Money money money. Gives them 2 extra playoff games a season both in primetime and they'll kill it. Players are happy because it's opportunity for more game checks (new cba will also pay players for the bye week even if they don't play).

So basically 220 players get a raise next season that they wouldn't have gotten this season.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Mid-season tournament to decide final playoff spots would be great. The league wants to be global and introducing single-elimination tourneys is a way to do it. Look at football globally, there's a ton of different tournaments to spice up viewership.

Envisioning an FA Cup style tournament where NBA teams face off against G-League etc. would be interesting. I hesitate to say universities because there'd be corruption there.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This comes across desperate and pathetic tbh. I know they are freaking out over ratings being down but maybe wait a season or two to see if it's an actual decline or mostly bullshit like with the NFL. You're still gonna get billions for the tv rights Adam. Chill.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those against the target score, do you think basketball game endings are fine as is and require no change or do you just not like the target score method of making it not a foul fest?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
This comes across desperate and pathetic tbh. I know they are freaking out over ratings being down but maybe wait a season or two to see if it's an actual decline or mostly bullshit like with the NFL. You're still gonna get billions for the tv rights Adam. Chill.
Ratings have been in decline for years.