• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck VC but they got me, the first nba2k for ps4/xbox one was also next gen showcase at that time, more so than this one.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
As good as this looks, I'm more concerned about the physics and how the feel of the gameplay is.

I'd imagine this'll be mostly unchanged.

The EA basketball games were pretty shit, when they did actually come out and not get cancelled, but I prefer the player movement in those games to 2K's sticky, GTA-like character movement. They've improved it over the last 10 years, but there are still times like I feel that my button presses feel more like .. I'm controlling a puppet on a string than that "I'm the player."

Does anybody know if current gen is 30FPS, 60FPS?

MrAlderson

Apr 19, 2018
Does this add credence to what dusk said about ps5 frame rate rate issues? Or could this just be the trailer it self?

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
Remove the sweat and I'd believe you if this was a last gen looking game. Facial hair on the players not looking right hurts the visuals the most for me.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Wow.... I just went through a nostalgic tunnel.

I remember seeing the 2k14 trailer with Phil Collins for the first time... I said.... DAMNNNN. And I just bought my first basketball game since.... Space Jam for PS1.

Immediately I started watching the league and... after 7 years of hype.... I'm a huge fan of the sport, watching every single game since the playoffs and cheering every single time, thanks to a video game.

And now... we are here saying again.... DAMNNNN... but also..... FUCK 2K AND THOSE MICRO STUPID TRANSACTIONS IN YOUR GAME. I WON'T BUY ANOTHER COPY FOR 70 BUCKS FOR THIS SHIT .....

(Preorder successfully done).

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
I have played every NBA 2K game dating back to the OG on Dreamcast. I love basketball and am a big fan of this series. As BadAss2961 just mentioned, single player gameplay is amazing in this series. I can't attest to online as I stopped playing sports games online many years ago. I also usually don't play the story modes, which I know is huge in this game. But this game has a deep franchise mode (dubbed MyLeague) and the gameplay itself is very good, I have no problem justifying the money I spend on this game every year.

It seems that in the career mode, MyPlayer, can lean heavily on paid DLC unless you want to grind and grind and grind...so I think this is where the main criticism of this game comes. But again, I've never played this mode so I can't really comment on it.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Good video. I still think the NBA 2K14 next gen trailer is the best sports game trailer ever though.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The EA basketball games were pretty shit, when they did actually come out and not get cancelled, but I prefer the player movement in those games to 2K's sticky, GTA-like character movement. They've improved it over the last 10 years, but there are still times like I feel that my button presses feel more like .. I'm controlling a puppet on a string than that "I'm the player."

60fps, nba2k has always been 60fps since the start of this gen outside of Switch which is technically last gen-ish so it make sense.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Im ... not impressed, honestly, some of the same issues Ive always had are there with the animations and flow. Nice closeups but the difference between the coach and crowd models next to the players is as jarring as usual, even moreso, actually

Plus, the games economy and turn into a microtransaction hell have taken any desire I have to play this straight to the garbage. Gameplay wise I was never a fan either, too complicated to do basic shit.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
The gameplay is as good as it gets. If you're only interested in single player, you'll probably have a blast.

If you get into the MyPlayer competitive stuff that's all the rage, you're gonna have to shell out some extra cash or dedicate your life to the grind. That's where people get annoyed.
I probably wouldn't be playing MyPlayer. So that's good. Maybe I'll check this out.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Why cant I run this thing in 4k@60? Shouldn't my i7 8550U be enough to handle this?

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
The afro hair textures look excellent, the last game I played the afro texture looked like shit, this was 2k18 or 19 can't remember

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Better than I thought it'd be, but doesn't look much different gameplay wise to me, presentation wise it might be a step up. Luka still kinda doesn't look like Luka lol, he looked nothing like him imo in 2k20

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
Rewatching it again and it's weird how much they focused on Curry and the Warriors lol

I get that the Pelicans aren't great but at least show Williamson a bit more instead of focusing on a team that hasn't played a game since March 10th 😂

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
I had close to zero interest in basketball at the time, but when the PS4 launched I bought NBA 2K14 alongside it, just because it was THE visual next-gen showpiece (and, coming from FIFA, the atmosphere and intensity in the arenas blew me away as well). This time around there's at least some competition in the visual department (Miles Morales and especially Demon's Souls).

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So it's a jump from the 2K14 which launched this gen.

1385480558000-LeBronNextGen-PS4-5760x3240-1-.jpg

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does this add credence to what dusk said about ps5 frame rate rate issues? Or could this just be the trailer it self?

The only framey segments as far as I could tell were the cutscenes and big crowd camera pans. The gameplay segments seemed like they were running well, and in what looks like 4K, so no I don't think it does at all.

Dusk claimed RE8 was struggling to hit 1080p (though the footage we've seen of it running on PS5 is ironically 4K) and decent frame rates, the gameplay segments from this NBA 2K21 trailer would be 60fps and presumably 4K or close to. So a gargantuan difference.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Rewatching it again and it's weird how much they focused on Curry and the Warriors lol

I get that the Pelicans aren't great but at least show Williamson a bit more instead of focusing on a team that hasn't played a game since March 10th 😂
Also not even showing the Lakers?

Smh Ronnie

TeacherDenz

Jul 7, 2020
awesome footage but as long as they don't fix the servers this game is unplayable online. Can't take a single proper shot without considering how laggy your current game is.

Achillias

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
User Banned (Reduced after appeal): Platform Warring; History of the Same; Account in Junior Phase
This is just on the Playstation 5. Let alone how the Xbox Series X will look like ;).

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Will we finally have 60 fps cutscenes (maybe not judging from the trailer)? I always thought that was a CPU thing because only PC would always be the one support it.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks good but performance seems a little rough. Hope they iron that out until release. Wonder how it will perform on the Series S.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Face detail looks good but the facial animation tech looks dated which ups the uncanny valley effect. I know we can't expect face performance capture in a sports game but it just looks weird like highly detailed puppets.

They made Mark Cuban look like a child and Kerr looks made out of play dough.

Also there's no way we'll see a crowd like that in an actual NBA game next season.

May 28, 2020

I believe it's 30fps. But don't quote me

Joo

May 25, 2018
Looks very, very good. Definitely a big jump from 2K21 in my eyes at least. FIFA still looks pretty much the same, so this might be the only sports title I'm getting until 22 versions come along.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
They need to fix the animations in all these games. They still awkwardly shamble around going from one pose to the next, gliding around the place rather than look fully grounded in the world. Fix that and the graphics would then feel super impressive. It's just such a huge issue.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have played every NBA 2K game dating back to the OG on Dreamcast. I love basketball and am a big fan of this series. As BadAss2961 just mentioned, single player gameplay is amazing in this series. I can't attest to online as I stopped playing sports games online many years ago. I also usually don't play the story modes, which I know is huge in this game. But this game has a deep franchise mode (dubbed MyLeague) and the gameplay itself is very good, I have no problem justifying the money I spend on this game every year.

It seems that in the career mode, MyPlayer, can lean heavily on paid DLC unless you want to grind and grind and grind...so I think this is where the main criticism of this game comes. But again, I've never played this mode so I can't really comment on it.
As someone who also goes back to the beginning of 2K (and way before that tbh lol), I highly recommend at least trying the MyPlayer and Park modes. I was also a single player, MyCareer/MyGM guy until one day I just decided to create a character and hop in Park (2K16). Got hooked and haven't looked back. I bite the bullet and pay the extra 40 bucks or so to jumpstart my player to 85 OVR, but no more after that.

Even if you don't jumpstart, and come in with a low OVR, I guarantee you it'll be fun at first. But you're gonna get tired of that after awhile and either quit or aim to compete. That's where you might get hooked.