• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Animations still look a bit stiff in places and the performance on the stadium entrance was pretty spotty but those models look great, especially Curry. Shame that they still haven't come close to matching 2K14's lighting though.

Oct 27, 2017
2k usually does this. Gameplay is 60 fps, but their cinematics and non-gameplay scenes run at 30. That said, a lot of the non-60 fps footage here seemed to even struggle to reach 30 fps - so hopefully they iron that out.

That looked crazy though, and brings back memories of how next gen 2k14 looked back then. (Graphically, its weird that they peaked at 2k14, and every version after seemed like a downgrade).

This looks sometimes like 15fps not 30 :/

I remember the day when I first saw NBA 2K on Dreamcast... That smooth 60fps...

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
Cut-scenes are obviously at 30fps (which means that they have better models for the cut-scenes than those while playing the game). Great character models and a way better crowd. However, everything else felt like the PC version. I did not see any animation or physics improvements, and collisions appear to be the same. Both Xbox Series X and PS5 have way better CPUs than the PS4/Xbox One, and we can't see any noticeable improvement in these areas.

So basically, 2K Games charged $10 more for some higher quality models and a better crowd (and some ray tracing reflections because every next-gen game must have some sort of Ray Tracing, even if it does not make a huge visual difference). However, the game itself appears to be the same with the current-gen version, which is really disappointing. I'd take major overhauls to animations, movement and physics any given day than some better character models (I'm not talking about AI as that's something that we can't really judge from this trailer).

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The contrast of the quality of the players & coaches to the crowd is insane lol

Oct 27, 2017
Looks absolutely incredible. We have still yet to see anything of other next-gen versions of sports games like FIFA which you would hope has this kind of improvement (it won't). Haven't played an NBA 2K for about 4 years so may jump in on this one for PS5 if it's good. I do agree some of the animations do look a little stiff and don't flow as they should though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Absolutely bonkers incredible. Love the texture work on the court. Oof. Gotta say. They were right to charge $70 for this version imo

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
The better it looks, the more that the animations stick out like a sore thumb

Enjoyed the variable frame-rate though, definitely going to want a TV that supports VRR to account for the 15-60fps we saw

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
something looks...off.

idk

The better it looks, the more that the animations stick out like a sore thumb

maybe it's this?

also, luke hit a step back 3 over curry and the crowd just...sits there? and it didn't look to be running the smoothest. it looks good, but something about it looks off to my eye.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Looks far too good, don't think i believe it. Steph and Klay in particular look great, same with Zion

Yeah the animations aren't there yet

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
If they had put this out at the same time that they announced it was not going to be a free upgrade, I think people would have been less pissed- this looks incredible. Framerate aside (and i'm guessing they will fix that), this looks like a different universe from the PS4 version

s y

Nov 8, 2017
something looks...off.

idk

maybe it's this?

also, luke hit a step back 3 over curry and the crowd just...sits there? and it didn't look to be running the smoothest. it looks good, but something about it looks off to my eye.
Super high fidelilty graphics plus classic dogshit 2k movement, ai, animations and crowd reactions.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Usually I find sports games to look very gamey even when aiming for realism, but there were some frames that I thought "wait, this is real life". Wtf

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That looked really good. Though some of the non gameplay pans looked really framey. Animations could still be improved as well.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
To be honest, this looks really great, even so that I could consider buying it...load times were awful on PS4 (Pro), SSD should hopefully help here a lot and it does look awesome. But the framerate is really low in some scenes, not even 30 FPS, which is "ok" if gameplay is locked at 60 FPS, but it shoudn't drop below 30 in any cutscene on the new machines to be honest...

But there is till the matter with in-game money ;)

xem

Oct 31, 2017
looks great but there is way to much purposefully cinematic slow down. no sense of actual game play. I hope we'll get a close to locked 60 though.