• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it only me that i see it?

No, honestly the better and more realistic are the graphics the more these things stand out because the more they break the ilusion of realism. At least for me, and is not a dig to devs at all, is just a consequence of at some point it takes too much effort to perfectly replicate 'reality'.

Oct 25, 2017
This has exactly 0 to do with console power.

Then what is the reason lol? This has been stuck in 2k since like 13....And I thought the move to current gun would of fixed that and it didn't lol

..so if its not the console power that limits them, what is? Is it their engine? Or maybe the way the game is designed?

Edit: Just for misunderstanding sake.... I am NOT saying lazy devs. I am architecturally asking why this is happening.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Then what is the reason lol? This has been stuck in 2k since like 13....And I thought the move to current gun would of fixed that and it didn't lol

..so if its not the console power that limits them, what is? Is it their engine? Or maybe the way the game is designed?
It's just how the engine queues up animations, that's it. You can have a NASA ultra computer, it will do the same.

And it's hardly just NBA, this is something I've seen in an infinite number of videogames since I was 5. It can happen, where two characters end their routines and by random chance they start the same animation because maybe they have a pool of 30 to start from.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Looks nice visually but not that huge of a jump in terms of animations.

Also, why even have the tucking in jersey animation if you know your models don't support that? Lol

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
It looks polished but there's like 0 defence in this video, which makes me think that it will be the same shitty defensive gameplay as in the current gen.

Klokwerk

Oct 29, 2017
Looks great. Lighting is impressive. Already bought the Mamba current gen edition so I'm set for day 1.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Still some of the most atrocious animations. All of the pre-game stuff animated terribly, there's like no blending going on at all.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually been playing All-Time team exhibitions semi-regularly since 2K20 was on PS+. Most 2K I've played since early/mid-360 generation. This is shaping up to be a launch purchase, for sure.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: Just for misunderstanding sake.... I am NOT saying lazy devs. I am architecturally asking why this is happening.

Until games get to the point where everything is dynamically driven by an infinitely fluid and complex procedural animation/rigging/physics/AI system, there will be hitching, there will be animation freak outs, there will be a limit to the amount of moves and loops, and there will be duplicate loops in the scene. On top of that these sports games are made on a super tight timetable, so janky stuff will slip through. Just compare the development cycles of the games in the top tier of animation to this one. Now look at how many individual models are on screen in 2K. It's an already impossible task made even more difficult by how good the modeling and lighting has gotten.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The animations are what make or break NBA 2k gameplay and this doesn't look good from this point of view, it will probably have the same gameplay issues as current gen. Put at least it's shinny.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If menus and load times are quick and slick I might get back into sports games this gen. The one time I played an nhl game it felt like getting into a game was too much damn work.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They just haven't taken the time to fine-tune this detail, to make sure situations don't occur where multiple players are in the very same animation loop. As you know, these are leftover warts from several 2Ks ago.

2K Devs are spread thin between all the different modes though. I imagine most of the work goes into the multiplayer these days.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
What's with this awful variable framerate
That has been in 2K and pretty much all sports games for a while now.

60fps during gameplay, 30fps during closeups or replays (+ menus in FIFA, god knows why the fuck).

I thought we would have gotten rid of it by now, but seems like not yet!

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
The crowd is still lifeless. This has been a problem with 2k for a while, but it sticks out that much more with the increase in fidelity in other areas. Also the 30fps during replays is jarring and terrible.

Oct 28, 2017
It looks polished but there's like 0 defence in this video, which makes me think that it will be the same shitty defensive gameplay as in the current gen.

Did you notice they were playing 2 player? They were obviously not playing defense so the other person could get up some shots. If they were playing the AI/Computer, then yes, I would be more concerned.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

PS5 footage. It shows off the loading times as they go into a game. It takes two seconds to load it.

For a next gen game, this looks rough. Why are Allie's eyes doing that? So many dead eyes. The character models don't give any next gen push even if they might be pushing more on paper. The low framerate for close-ups are jarring. The animations, the robotic movement, glitches already pointed out in the comments like at 0:40 and 2:50 are immediately noticeable.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
For a next gen game, this looks rough. Why are Allie's eyes doing that? So many dead eyes. The character models don't give any next gen push even if they might be pushing more on paper. The low framerate for close-ups are jarring. The animations, the robotic movement, glitches already pointed out in the comments like at 0:40 and 2:50 are immediately noticeable.

This was a 1080p video with no hdr. And those animations are not even close to robotic.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Did you notice they were playing 2 player? They were obviously not playing defense so the other person could get up some shots. If they were playing the AI/Computer, then yes, I would be more concerned.

That was my point, this is not showing an usual game between two players that would play normally, like trying to defend each other's shots. It's a staged demonstration.

Making unchallenged shots looks good in current gen too, it's when the defence is involved that the gameplay gets really bad.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, honestly the better and more realistic are the graphics the more these things stand out because the more they break the ilusion of realism. At least for me, and is not a dig to devs at all, is just a consequence of at some point it takes too much effort to perfectly replicate 'reality'.
Looks like a bug imo. every character, even those in the background are doing the same loop in unision. No way that's intentional.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think HDR or resolution would really change the models or dead eyes and the animations don't look smooth, so this doesn't look very next gen to me.

What's wrong with the models. Feel like people are being unrealistic in expecting next gen to not have regular ol video game problems.

I can't think of a single game that has to simulate interactivity between models on this level that doesn't have animation jank.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What's wrong with the models. Feel like people are being unrealistic in expecting next gen to not have regular ol video game problems.

I can't think of a single game that has to simulate interactivity between models on this level that doesn't have animation jank.
Does the game look next gen to you? If so, good for you, let's just agree to disagree on expectations.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
The snap-to animations and blends, or lack thereof, really do stick out in this iteration with the improvement to the models and general lighting.

Animation is something they're truly gonna have to be pushing and looking to improve throughout this generation.

StickeeFingaz

Oct 25, 2017
Not really impressed. As soon as Ingram and Jrue were swaying in perfect unison and Zion was "tucking in his jersey" without tucking in his jersey, that's all I needed to know. Another pass on 2K for me, such a shame.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Thought it looked alright
Instant loading seems like a bait and switch with how they want to get ads into the game but then again the extra $10 might be their way of getting no forced ads

That being said, I'll most likely buy this pre owned since people won't like the shooting mechanics since it's really different than past years

if there's a demo day one then I encourage you to download it and or download the current gen demo now to try

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think this looks great? LOL.

Animation blending can be better and eye anims as well, but I understand why they don't really prioritize the latter. I think a lot of the graphic prowess of these games is lost due to camera angles. The fidelity of those models is incredible.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
Yeah, for real. It looks fine I guess...

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I think this looks great? LOL.

Animation blending can be better and eye anims as well, but I understand why they don't really prioritize the latter. I think a lot of the graphic prowess of these games is lost due to camera angles. The fidelity of those models is incredible.

I'm lost on that too. What are people playing to say this doesn't look good.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
You can do as much presentation stuff as you want (pre-game) but when the animation is as dodgy as it is here what's the point?