• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Summary
  • Next Gen Shot Meter
  • Pull-up jumper categories
  • 3PT line recognition
  • Size-up speed control
  • New moves and animations
  • Revamped ball physics

Pro Stick - Shooting

The Pro Stick is probably the most obvious gameplay difference if you're familiar with 2K basketball, and it's been great seeing it being adopted by both pro and casual gamers alike on current-gen. With the next-gen consoles, we were able to take shooting and dribbling with the Pro Stick to even greater heights and give you more tools to score the basketball. Here's a look at some of the new innovations you can look forward to:

Shot Arc control: Shot Aiming is one of the big changes we've introduced this year. Being able to both time and aim your shots is a fresh new skill to master and it's helped us widen the skill gap with shooting. Aiming works by pulling the Pro Stick down to start a jump shot. The speed of your Pro Stick movement dictates whether the ideal aim point skews to the left or right on the shot meter and then you adjust the aiming marker to the center of the release window. For next-gen, the stick speed also now controls the arc of your jump shot. Slow flicks will give you extra high arcs, while fast flicks will make your shot flat. It feels really good to be able to have that extra bit of control over how you shoot, and also a lot of fun sitting in the practice gym chucking up rainbow 3's. You also get a small bonus for shooting with an ideal shot arc, so it's important to be mindful of the tempo of your initial stick throw to make sure you give yourself the best chance at making the shot.

3PT Line Recognition: There are some great nuances that we were able to capture thanks to the next- gen hardware. The added computational power allowed our engineers to upgrade our inverse kinematics (IK) and foot planting technology (more on that later) to both make our jump shot gathers feel more grounded and also improve 3PT line recognition. In the past, you'd either slide back for the 3PT shot which looked pretty bad, or step on the line for a long two. But now we adjust your feet placement in real time when you're near the line to ensure that no longer happens. It looks very natural and a relief for shooters to know that they'll get credit for the three when taking those deep clutch jumpers.

more here also videos of the features at the link

NBA 2K21 | Kobe Bryant | Damian Lillard | Zion Williamson

NBA 2K21 featuring Damian Lillard, Zion Williamson and the legend Kobe Bryant as cover athletes, 2K21 brings amazing new features to the NBA 2K franchise.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
wow that site looks terrible on my desktop lol.

man this game is getting really complicated. regardless, I'm excited.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Next Gen Shot Meter lol okay

I'm excited to see this is a real next gen version though, outside of the obvious and great graphics refresh.

EDIT: reading the whole post, the changes are pretty significant, seems almost like you would read from entry to entry.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
They're taking the Pro-Stick shooting everyone hated and making it *more* complicated? Ooookay.

Edit: The bigger, more readable shot meter is appreciated though -- we'll see how it all feels I guess.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Bit concerned about them going even harder on the Pro Stick. I like NBA 2K21 a lot on PS4, but I feel like they're designing primarily for e-sports players these days -- even when it's a relatively mainstream game.

OP
OP
platocplx

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Bit concerned about them going even harder on the Pro Stick. I like NBA 2K21 a lot on PS4, but I feel like they're designing primarily for e-sports players these days -- even when it's a relatively mainstream game.
Yeah they seem to be pushing a skill gap with the stick. The shot controls here definitely add a huge level of difficult to pull off, there is a ton of nuances to the dribbling, shooting high or low and even position of the ball on the backboard.