• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
It was absolutely like that or worse on the regular. Which is why the thread a week ago asking "are console wars and fanboys getting worse than ever?" had me going "oh you sweet summer child...".

I am old enough to remember how close and personal...how bloody those confrontations were. Compared to the guerrilla tactics employed today, and the small surges of violence via proxies (fake accounts and intense but brief altercations provoked by snippets of news hitting the web sporadically), the battles of the 90s were smaller in scope but much, much gorier: Pure trench warfare madness in the school yards or at a friend's house; Relationships were at peril constantly...

Last edited:

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I had this issue! Was a huge fan of this magazine when I was 10-13

Other fun sega power facts

- I wrote a letter asking a question about something. They gave the letters 'funny' titles that mocked the senders. Because I was polite in my writing, they titled my letter 'I lick wax from girls ears'

- they did a partnership with a brand of breath mints called clorets giving a pack away on the cover. Like most sugar free mints, they had sweeteners that had a laxative effect in high quantities. I'm pretty sure it Made the papers when some kids bought the magazine and ate them like candy and got diarrhoea

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
90s British game magazines were amazingly mean, petty and heavily into console warring. It was quite a time to grow up in and no doubt heavily influenced my own console warring as a little kid, which took me years to grow out of.

There were similar mean-spirited reader drawings and general console warring rhetoric in the magazines here, but absolutely no one I knew in school actually took that shit seriously. Sure we all laughed at the edgy jabs, but there were never really any arguments about which system was better, and the more games the merrier was the prevailing motto. I've asked others online about their childhood experience from that era and it was overwhelmingly the same. It was only with the internet that I finally started seeing people being really petty and unhealthy about this stuff.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
There were similar mean-spirited reader drawings and general console warring rhetoric in the magazines here, but absolutely no one I knew in school actually took that shit seriously. Sure we all laughed at the edgy jabs, but there were never really any arguments about which system was better, and the more games the merrier was the prevailing motto. I've asked others online about their childhood experience from that era and it was overwhelmingly the same. It was only with the internet that I finally started seeing people being really petty and unhealthy about this stuff.

Yeah, it was the same where I grew up when there was a mix of us that had Sega and other Nintendo and we would just borrow each other machines so we could play all the game.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And people were actually wondering if the console wars today were the worst ever.

"Great!"

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
90s British game magazines were amazingly mean, petty and heavily into console warring. It was quite a time to grow up in and no doubt heavily influenced my own console warring as a little kid, which took me years to grow out of.

I though the vibe was all ironic, sardonic, irreverant, sarcastic, 'edgelord-y' humour. Not meant to be taken too seriously but if you did then yeah those same kind of jokes come accross very mean and petty.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
sonic-tablet-retina.jpg

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
not even sega's own magazine respected sonic's eco revolutionary leftism smdh

People saying it was just edgy humor as if that hasn't been the go to excuse many white supremacists have used to try and get away with spreading their vile message without being taken down
Hitler's dying words were "just a prank bro"

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta go fash

probably high up in the Tory government
Some say he's still at it.
Everyone and his grand mother is probably looking him up on Facebook lol. There's just one of him and he's into gaming also lol good luck to that fella
I'm sure he is easily findable online.
They were probably a dumb kid being a bit stupid.
Just to be clear, this was more of a rhetorical question(like, was he just being dumb or is he in some alt right group now). I don't actually care lol

Oct 26, 2017
These are at the more extreme end but this kind of edgy schoolyard humor was somewhat common at the time. Remember, a big part of Sega's marketing was trying to make the Mega Drive appear as a more grown up console than what Nintendo was offering. Unfortunately, this kind of thing is exactly what a 12 year old thinks is "adult".

Even my beloved Sega Saturn magazine would feature the kind of humor you wouldn't expect from a magazine with DF's Rich Leadbetter as editor. Take these things as a product of their time.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
...As someone who didn't read gaming magazines growing up, y'all were some weird kids.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I mean, I could pull out the old Nintendo Power magazines and show you the kids making a bloodbath out of a Sonic.

But yeah, this takes the cake.

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
Yikes at 'Rightwing Sonic'

Re the Sonic on Mario violence. I remember this being a thing in the 90s. Not sure where it emerged from but I had friends that would draw Sonic and Mario killing each other (depending on what side of the console war you sat on - I was a Sega kid back then). A lot of it was inspired by/parodied Mortal Kombat. It's hard to get across just what a cultural phenomenon MK was at the time.

Also lol at Mario farting as he's hanged. That's some grade A juvenile shit.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Violence and mascot characters killing each other was common. Many of you are probably too young but a lot of this art comes at a time when mortal kombat was the hot shit and violence in gaming was new and exciting so the fan art reflected that. The nazi thing is fucked though.

My favorite fanart was mario on a t-rex sized mean looking yoshi crushing tails under his foot and sonic pissing himself off to the side. I though it was in game players but im not sure. Anyone else remember this piece and know where to find it?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
People are going to use this as leverage for their petty issues with video game communities, aren't they?

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I'm instantly reminded of all those Sonic vs Mario Newgrounds flashes including the one that ends with Knuckles raping Princess Peach (they were sprites so it's not as graphic as it sounds)

I always called these the South Park kids. There was a period where the media was largely shouting about Mortal Kombat, Doom, South Park and stuff like that which implanted the idea that intense violence, racism and political incorrectness was counter culture to the oppressive mainstream. However I think what separated this group from say Punk or Goth culture is that it was actively hostile to OTHER actual counter cultures.

Gangta rap? Dumb nigger shit!
Goths? Pussy shit!
Hippies? Get a job!
Feminists? gb2kitchen!
Don't even get me started on the 9/11 jokes or the "kill celebrity" games.

And so on, this kind of aggressive culture would kinda define late 90's, early 00's gamer life especially on the internet.

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
Knew a kid in elementary school who used to draw swaztikas and war stuff all the time. I think at that age it is mostly just an edgy thing cause it is kind of forbidden.

plot-twist: you were born around 1890?

In my country, there were also always Sega VS Nintendo drawings, very violent as well. It was probably Sega fans realising they were losing the console war in my country. I believe MK had to do with it as well, as an inspirational thing. As for hitler-Sonic, I am pretty sure there is a lot more behind that :( feel bad for the kid, aside from the anatomy and the horrible idea, this looks like the work of a high schooler

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I'm instantly reminded of all those Sonic vs Mario Newgrounds flashes including the one that ends with Knuckles raping Princess Peach (they were sprites so it's not as graphic as it sounds)

I can't *believe* there's someone else that remembers this.

I'd like to think none of it had any adverse effects on me, but boy, did I watch some messed-up shit on that site as a 10-year-old...

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
In the days of Mega Drive and Super Nintendo stuff like this was on many Sega and Nintendo magazines I would flip through at the time.

If it was a Nintendo fan magazine people would send in their artwork of Mario doing violent things to Sonic. If it was a Sega magazine it was Sonic doing violent things to Mario.

At the time mostly being bit of a Sega fanboy I used to find it funny with artwork of Mario being violent to Sonic considering the material Nintendo wouldn't allow (censored Mortal Kombat, outrage at Night Trap, etc).

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

This used to be me when I was about five years old? All I knew at that point was the swastika was 'the bad guy sign' from Raiders Of The Lost Ark, and as a child, it's a fascinating geometric puzzle to try and work out how to draw from memory.

Thankfully my mum saw my attempts at drawing it at home, and could have The Nazi Talk before I started doodling it at school.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Omg even the shadow underneath his nose is trying to look like a Hitler mustache

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I was a Nintendo kid and hated Sega growing up. I already had an NES and SNES and was disappointed when my parents got me a Genesis for Christmas one year.

But they also got me Sonic 3. Sonic 3 changed my mind and made me realize I could enjoy games on both systems. Still my favorite Sega game and I hate how Sega refuses to re-release it (I ended up hacking my Genesis Mini so I could add it).

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah UK mags took a bad turn. Folks trying to be Mean Machines but not actually understanding why Mean Machines was so beloved.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Would've made more sense if Mario had the swastika on, you know, because Hitler had a mustache and was bad which is what you should be implying...

Anyway, not sure why people are so surprised by this stuff, those magazines from the 90's and 2000's always had dumb edgy stuff and crap humor.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Reminds me of how nuts the letters section of Nintendo Magazine System was in the 90s. I don't think there were any Swastikas but I'm sure there was copious amounts of Yikes.

A quick google pulled up this example

Last edited:

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
As someone from the US, the 90's UK/European video game magazine scene seems so weird to me. So many unofficial platform-specific magazines that seemingly got away with some wild stuff, while in the US the platform-specific magazines were tightly controlled by Nintendo/Sega. I didn't read that much of Sega Visions, but Nintendo Power was about as family-friendly and harmless as a magazine could get (controversial Castlevania II cover notwithstanding). The only thing we had over here (that I can remember, at least) that came close to what the UK magazines were doing was GameFan, and even then I don't remember them being nearly as mean-spirited.

Now as far as just fanart is concerned, yeah you'd see some pretty wild console warring stuff in GamePro/EGM, lol.