• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
www.azcentral.com

Navajo Nation's Jill Jim named to President-elect Joe Biden's COVID-19 Advisory Board

Jill Jim, executive director of the Navajo Department of Health, has been selected as a member of President-elect Joe Biden's COVID-19 Advisory Board.
Dr. Jill Jim, executive director of the Navajo Department of Health, has been selected as a member of President-elect Joe Biden's COVID-19 Advisory Board, according to the Biden transition team.

For the past 18 years, Jim has served in nonprofit, state and federal agencies, the Biden team said in a news release. Jim became a Cabinet member in the Navajo Nation in 2019.

According to the news release, Jim has dedicated her career to "preventing chronic diseases and addressing health care and health disparities among American Indians/Alaska Natives."

The Navajo Nation closed between March and August while recording the highest COVID-19 per capita infection rate in the country. In May, the Navajo Nation surpassed New York based on the number of cases per 100,000 residents.
In a statement posted on Facebook on Saturday evening, Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez said he recommended that Jim be appointed to the board and is "very proud" of her accomplishment.

"Dr. Jim's extensive public health experience and expertise has been a major benefit for the Navajo Nation throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and now she will serve on a much broader level to help fight this modern-day monster throughout the country. Our Nation's COVID-19 preventative measures and restrictions put forth by our public health experts have served as a model for other states and entities across the country," Nez said in the statement.
b1939357-80bb-40a5-86a2-eb7411052018-Dr.-Jill-Jim_w500.jpg

Reminder: When Native Americans asked Trump for PPE he sent them body bags instead.

thehill.com

Native health center says it received body bags after it asked for supplies to fight coronavirus

The Seattle Indian Health Board, a community health center that services the Native American population in Seattle and King County in Washington state, said it received an order of body bags earlie…

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
When I saw the thread title I thought I read it as "Navajo Nations' Jill Stein" lol. Thankfully this sounds like a much better pick.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Indian Country has been really vulnerable to the pandemic, and recovery will have to be tailored to specific needs. Hopefully Jim's presence will help with that.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really disrespectful they did not address her as Dr in the title of the article.

Oct 30, 2017
A fundraiser in Ireland did more for the Navajo nation than their own governmemt (Drump's admin) so this is really fucking cool to see.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): metacommentry
It shocks me, utterly shocks me that a positive Biden pick thread only got 11 responses 🤔
It's why a lot of posters aren't taken seriously by many anymore in political discussions. It's clear as day what folks are about. That aside, great pick. Our admin surely hasn't been doing right on this front, so good to see.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018

Cabinet

Navajo Nation Office of the President and Vice President
Dr. Jim has a Doctorate in Public Health, a Master's Degree in Health Care Administration, a second Master's in Public Health from the University of Utah. She has a Bachelor's Degree in Health Promotion and Community Health Education from Northern Arizona University.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Im glad that the incoming admin at least appears to be taking multiple communities issues to heart and giving them at least a voice in the admin. A lot of Native American communities have been hit hard by COVID, along woth other health issues, and having a seat at the table will hopefully help out the people in the community.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Solid pick for sure. Competent picks from government should not ever be a sight for sore eyes but here we are.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): metacommentary, attempted thread derail over a series of posts
Thread was posted at 7:30am EST on a Sunday. Also what discussion are you hoping occurs here? 4 pages of "Cool!" ?
A negative pick thread could have been posted on a workday in the dead of night right before a 5-hour site outage, and we still would have gotten at least 3 pages of "SEE I told you, back to 'normal' eh??" responses, which also produce zero meaningful discussion btw. So I don't think it's too much to hope that a positive news thread could at least cross the one page by now after the sea of shit picks from the last 4 years.

It's also worth addressing the rampant "told you so" culture hungry to celebrate any negative news about Biden while completely ghosting any positive meaningful picks like this one.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It shocks me, utterly shocks me that a positive Biden pick thread only got 11 responses 🤔
I know it's lame. Yet they're in other topics creating negativity

It's why a lot of posters aren't taken seriously by many anymore in political discussions. It's clear as day what folks are about. That aside, great pick. Our admin surely hasn't been doing right on this front, so good to see.

And what are those folks about? I didn't see this thread until just now and it's filled with people smugly acting like you. I'm sorry I don't obsess over a forum 24/7 so I am unable to immediately respond to every post.

I do like this choice from what I see but apparently since I didn't post this within 2 minutes of the OP my opinion doesn't matter.

Homekoro

Dec 5, 2018
Great to see. Native Americans deserve more representation at higher levels of government, especially during a health crisis.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
A negative pick thread could have been posted on a workday in the dead of night right before a 5-hour site outage, and we still would have gotten at least 3 pages of "SEE I told you, back to 'normal' eh??" responses, which also produce zero meaningful discussion btw.

None of this is necessary or even germane to this particular topic, I promise you.

Reminder: When Native Americans asked Trump for PPE he sent them body bags instead.

thehill.com

Native health center says it received body bags after it asked for supplies to fight coronavirus

The Seattle Indian Health Board, a community health center that services the Native American population in Seattle and King County in Washington state, said it received an order of body bags earlie…

Some housekeeping here, this was a mistake from the distributor that TheHill article purposefully editorialized. While it's always fun to shit on the Trump administration, common mistakes that will happen in any wide logistical undertaking such as this are bad form to draw out of context given what's at stake.

Jun 17, 2019
Nice to see some Native representation going into this area since they were hit hard and still need help with other illnesses that come up. So yay.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic choice. Living in Arizona you constantly hear about how hard the reservation lands have been hit. The Federal Government cared even less than usual when it came to them too.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see the inclusion of Native Americans on Covid-19 boards and task forces, they are left out of the conversation far too often and their communities ignored.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I have Navajo relatives in Arizona, so I'm really delighted to see them gain representation in the Biden presidency.